Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The trigger on one of my Touch controllers is squeaking when pressed, is there anything I can do about that? It's not too annoying, I can only notice if there's no sound whatsoever, but I wonder if something is wearing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The trigger on one of my Touch controllers is squeaking when pressed, is there anything I can do about that? It's not too annoying, I can only notice if there's no sound whatsoever, but I wonder if something is wearing out.

https://i.imgur.com/4NPtxDk.mp4

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus mission 29 in the Beat Saber campaign is killing me. I can get to the end (sometimes) but I'm not getting 400k points on this, I can't do big accurate swings when I need to accurately hit a million blocks a second

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Grashnak posted:

The way the scoring works with beat saber you need to have swung through an angle of 100° before hitting the block to get full points for the pre-swing portion. This is taken based on how far you've swung up until the moment your saber touches the hitbox of the block. Note that the hitbox for the block is quite a bit larger than the block itself, notably it extends a fair amount in front of the block. A common issue people have with upswings, especially on the bottom row, is hitting the front of the block with the saber still pointed quite a long way downwards so you don't get enough swing angle. You might not be swinging downwards far enough with your sabers or you could have your hands too high relative to the block so you aren't getting much of a swing before you hit the block.

For newer players it's super common to not use much wrist and not actually swing anywhere near as much as you need. Here's a video of one of my recent plays, there's a side-on camera view in the bottom left where you can see how much I'm swinging. You need to use your wrists a fair bit in order to consistently swing big enough for full points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsCRX6vdWrc

Thanks for this.

But I really think somethings screwy with the oculus because I’ll do an exaggerated crazy upswing to try and get it to register a good swing and it just doesn’t. I can consistently get 110+ on my down swings outside of the crazy scissor arms parts. It’s like it cant see that I’ve done a good wind up. I literally cant get it to register over 80 points on an upswing that’s at the bottom, like I’ll start behind me, flick the wrist into the swing, and end up with it over my head straight back, and nothing. I can get 110+ upswing on a block if it’s not the bottom, i.e if it’s mid screen or above me.

I think I’m gonna gently caress with my height, like say I’m shorter than I am. I’ll report back if it works.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Probably dust or something. Buy some contact cleaner and give it a spray.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

vaginite posted:

Thanks for this.

But I really think somethings screwy with the oculus because I’ll do an exaggerated crazy upswing to try and get it to register a good swing and it just doesn’t. I can consistently get 110+ on my down swings outside of the crazy scissor arms parts. It’s like it cant see that I’ve done a good wind up. I literally cant get it to register over 80 points on an upswing that’s at the bottom, like I’ll start behind me, flick the wrist into the swing, and end up with it over my head straight back, and nothing. I can get 110+ upswing on a block if it’s not the bottom, i.e if it’s mid screen or above me.

I think I’m gonna gently caress with my height, like say I’m shorter than I am. I’ll report back if it works.

Double check your floor but unless its scuffed its probably just you. Not like, trying to be a dick but upswings tend to be harder than downswings in general and you dont need "wide" swings to 110 or we wouldn't be 90%ing maps in the 500+ PP range.

You're just missing the entry/exit/cut somewhere. If you're ultra anal about it, record some stabilized headset footage and watch it. Or, just keep playing and itll get better.

Again I'm really not trying to be a dick about it but it just sounds like to me you're not there yet at the level of maps you're playing. And swapping platforms and or controllers and or grips fucks with me for quite a while on ACC.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 19, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Got my VR Wave lenses today and I am pumped to try them out.

I know they say that you can keep the magnetic clips in the quest but is there any issues when someone else uses them such as being able to feel them?

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

vaginite posted:

Thanks for this.

One thing that's super common with quests on beat saber is to swing down with heaps of arm and get the controller out of view of the tracking cameras on the headset. This tends to mean that it freezes your controller position higher than it actually is and gives you bad upswings.

There's not really any super good way around it other than just learning to work with the limitations. That mostly consists of trying to keep your hands in front of you (i.e. don't swing down past your legs if you can help it) and maybe loking slightly downwards for when you swing bottom row up notes to give the cameras a better view. It's one of those things that you just learn how to play around and after another hundred hours or so you'll barely notice it.

It sounds super dismissive but honestly the best way to improve at something like this is just to play more. I've got way better than I ever thought possible just by sinking several hundred hours into the game.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Got my VR Wave lenses today and I am pumped to try them out.

I know they say that you can keep the magnetic clips in the quest but is there any issues when someone else uses them such as being able to feel them?

I got some unbranded magnetic ones from etsy and my fiance has no issues with them once the lenses are removed

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Grashnak posted:

One thing that's super common with quests on beat saber is to swing down with heaps of arm and get the controller out of view of the tracking cameras on the headset. This tends to mean that it freezes your controller position higher than it actually is and gives you bad upswings.

Could one test this out by trying an easy map and look down as much as possible and see if one manages to get high scores with the upswings.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Saukkis posted:

Could one test this out by trying an easy map and look down as much as possible and see if one manages to get high scores with the upswings.

Slow maps like that are exactly where you notice the issue due to how the tracking works and its super easy to tell when the tracking is messing up on you. Those maps are a good way to practice how to do slow upswings so you don't get tracking issues. You also don't need to look down by much, it's just about making sure you don't get the controllers out of view.

On fast stuff there isn't the issue as much due to how oculus tracking works. Basically it uses some prediction of where your controller is going to be and at higher speeds this ends up overestimating how far you swing and giving you extra swing angle for free. On standalone quest it isn't heaps but getting an extra 20° on your sswings for free sure helps.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Saukkis posted:

I find on my quests I do have to look a bit up and down with the notes at times depending on speed and how far of a cut angle its going to be otherwise its gonna come back in from whatever point it left tracking at and "sometimes" that works out. Sometimes, not so much. It also had a weird side effect that some maps I just score higher on my quest while in general I score better on wands/index controllers.

I'm in camp wand master race for ACC. My wrists just can't take it or I'd main them still.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Finally got around to checking out that haritorax demo video that was posted a few days ago and it looks pretty cool, but how is current support for this stuff in actual games? Is it mostly a VRchat thing or are people jogging in place and kicking grenades in Pavlov or what?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I tried VRChat tonight. Is it always so laggy? I have done other online games (gun raiders) without issue but I tried 4 or 5 game rooms and all of them lagged so badly that it was throwing me off.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

VR chat on quest or PC?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
VR Chat's never super bad for me but I played a huge level (Playground Megaplex or something like that) the other day and it was eye-straining and smeary. So it kind of depends on the level, because it's all user made and some people probably just don't optimize their poo poo at all.

I'm chalking my bad times up to my mid-tier graphics card :shrug:

e: VV Yeah, I I mean I guess I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a real butter-smooth VR Chat world experience. The promoted worlds tend to be good, the JSR world runs amazing, as does the Super Monkey Ball world, and I had no problems with the big psychedelic low-fi ball pit world, or Big Al's Avatar Halls. It's when you start deep diving that it really gets dicey.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 19, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

VR Chat's never super bad for me but I played a huge level (Playground Megaplex or something like that) the other day and it was eye-straining and smeary. So it kind of depends on the level, because it's all user made and some people probably just don't optimize their poo poo at all.

I'm chalking my bad times up to my mid-tier graphics card :shrug:

Most people don't optimize their poo poo at all. You need to dig in and learn a little about Unity to understand how to optimize avatars and worlds to not be poo poo, and when it comes to world-building a lot of people just dump in a map or room taken from a game, put in the pretty lights, and call it a day because it looks fine with just them in it on desktop.

Bake your loving lighting, fuckers :argh:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i never thought i'd give a poo poo about unity in my life but here i am tearing apart multiple models and kludging pieces of them together to make the vrchat avatar i want to use the most in terms of visuals & features.

man i haven't had a good adhd hyperfixation like this in a while, it's like mashing together multiple lego sets to make one really cool build, except sometimes the pieces decide they don't really want to fit together and you spend an hour twisting and turning them until they snap into place

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tsurupettan posted:

i never thought i'd give a poo poo about unity in my life but here i am tearing apart multiple models and kludging pieces of them together to make the vrchat avatar i want to use the most in terms of visuals & features.

man i haven't had a good adhd hyperfixation like this in a while, it's like mashing together multiple lego sets to make one really cool build, except sometimes the pieces decide they don't really want to fit together and you spend an hour twisting and turning them until they snap into place

Pro-tip; Keep an eye on Humble Bundle if you don't already. They sometimes do Unity asset bundles, and the big sound packs are worth their weight in gold over time.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

forest spirit posted:

VR chat on quest or PC?

Quest

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pro-tip; Keep an eye on Humble Bundle if you don't already. They sometimes do Unity asset bundles, and the big sound packs are worth their weight in gold over time.

I picked up a humble bundle years ago that included several asset store bundles, a bundle of bundles I guess. Several of those bundles have expanded in the years since. The $30 I spent years ago now has a value of like 3k on the asset store.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Tsurupettan posted:

yo that sounds great i will check it out. is it mostly copyrighted music or is there dmca free stuff in there too? i stream a lot and want to take my community on a tour of really cool stuff but i don't wanna get strikes on my channel.

There's a few that might not, but I'd disable VODs for that stream if you intend on going there. There isn't any auto playing music at least

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My OG Rift started occasionally gliching. Every now and then the left screen just turns off. Only the left screen and it's always fixed by restarting the software.

Anyone else had that issue?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jack Trades posted:

My OG Rift started occasionally gliching. Every now and then the left screen just turns off. Only the left screen and it's always fixed by restarting the software.

Anyone else had that issue?

join us jack trades, the quest 2 beckons

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

join us jack trades, the quest 2 beckons

Maybe after someone burns down Facebook servers and feeds Zuck to the fishes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

VR Cover is a good go-to for facial interface replacements, right? Speaking of Oculus Rift stuff, mine is getting extremely grody.

EDIT: I see that Facebook hawks VR Cover's stuff on their store, so I'm going to assume its fine.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 19, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Obviously Facebook are loving awful and I get not wanting to give them data but is it really so difficult to just make a burner Facebook account? Also do all of the people who don't want to buy a Quest because of Facebook also avoid using search engines, mobile phones, YouTube, Amazon, and basically any of the other multitude of devices and services that have been tracking and harvesting our data for the last two decades? It feels like the privacy ship has well and truly sailed and circumnavigated the globe three times so I don't get why it would be a sticking point

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Obviously Facebook are loving awful and I get not wanting to give them data but is it really so difficult to just make a burner Facebook account? Also do all of the people who don't want to buy a Quest because of Facebook also avoid using search engines, mobile phones, YouTube, Amazon, and basically any of the other multitude of devices and services that have been tracking and harvesting our data for the last two decades? It feels like the privacy ship has well and truly sailed and circumnavigated the globe three times so I don't get why it would be a sticking point

"SOME people have your data then why aren't you okay with ALL people having your data?"

I guess I should setup a PiHole at home one of these days but until then I'll be hosed if I engage with Facebook in any way.
Even if literally every other company is tracking me right now via a secret chip in my rear end I still want to avoid Facebook at all costs on principle because they and Amazon are the most disgusting examples of capitalism bullshit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's no use trying to convince these people. It's best to nod politely and move along when someone talks about sticking it to zuck

Boxman posted:

VR Cover is a good go-to for facial interface replacements, right? Speaking of Oculus Rift stuff, mine is getting extremely grody.

EDIT: I see that Facebook hawks VR Cover's stuff on their store, so I'm going to assume its fine.

Yup VR cover is good. I have the leather interface on mine with the cloth covering over it and its great. The cloth one came with two so I can swap them out and wash one after a particularly grueling session.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Jack Trades is completely correct. I'm honestly losing interest in VR as a whole now that people who want the tech to do well feel the need to evangelize the Quest 2 (and/or browbeat people who show any reluctance to fork money over to Facebook) since it's so cheap it's almost the only viable option.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

oh, anyways

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Has anybody messed about with those gun-stock accessories for VR controllers? I've been playing a bit more Pavlov and H3 recently, but I keep running into the issue that trying to hold and aim two-handed guns is just pretty awkward and shaky in VR. I've seen a few doodads on offer that basically let you slot your controllers into some sort of rigid stock you can hold against your shoulder, but the reviews on those seem pretty mixed, and they're not exactly cheap, either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm honestly losing interest in VR as a whole now that people who want the tech to do well feel the need to evangelize the Quest 2

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

it's so cheap it's almost the only viable option.

These two things may be related.

The bigger problem is that what turns people off of VR even more is saying "Pay $1000 for an Index and a PC that can drive it, and gently caress with lighthouses and worse controllers and also get ready to RMA it as soon as you open the box". The index is great, and it serves an important purpose in VR, but if you're talking about getting people into VR, and wanting the tech to do well, its a harder sell.

The easy answer IS "Get a quest, pres butan, be in VR", I think if people are really interested in other forms of VR beyond that, we're all happy to talk about it. Make a burner account and get a $300 headset, or don't do that, and don't get that, its less evangelism, and more pragmatism

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be honest I also feel the Quest-exclusivity thing is a bit silly, it has a bunch of downsides - video compression, latency for PCVR, smaller selection in standalone mode, limited specs, weight, etc., though admittedly some upsides as well - but not everyone wants a VR headset with a phone inside, especially if they already have a gaming computer.

For me it's not just about Facebook, much like me not having an iPhone isn't just about Apple. The conversation feels very similar to that. And Facebook being the only company to force exclusives for their headsets is a really lovely thing to do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 19, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quest is a console that they opened up enough to give you access to a whole world of PC games. Nobody is bitching that you can only play the new Mario Kart by buying a Switch.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Is it so wrong to not want to buy a certain headset? you guys are getting weird about this

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Enos Cabell posted:

Quest is a console that they opened up enough to give you access to a whole world of PC games. Nobody is bitching that you can only play the new Mario Kart by buying a Switch.

There is a switch emulator, for better or worse, though I get what you're saying - and it's also why I only ever bought a single console (PSP) and had it jailbroken from day 1.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

These two things may be related.

The bigger problem is that what turns people off of VR even more is saying "Pay $1000 for an Index and a PC that can drive it, and gently caress with lighthouses and worse controllers and also get ready to RMA it as soon as you open the box". The index is great, and it serves an important purpose in VR, but if you're talking about getting people into VR, and wanting the tech to do well, its a harder sell.

The easy answer IS "Get a quest, pres butan, be in VR", I think if people are really interested in other forms of VR beyond that, we're all happy to talk about it. Make a burner account and get a $300 headset, or don't do that, and don't get that, its less evangelism, and more pragmatism
I was saying they're related, yeah. Maybe that got lost in my run-on sentence, haha.

Pragmatism is great, but if you look at the responses to Jack that's not what's going on. There's a pack mentality thing happening where it's vaguely okay to say Facebook is bad, but not okay to say you won't give them money this particular thing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's a tedious argument that has come up innumerable times in this thread, usually from the same cast of posters. And anyone who feels that strongly about Facebook wouldn't be considering the purchase of a Quest anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I was trying to jokingly rib him, I thought the cult-like tone of my post made that clear but lmao

edit for real content:

Played lots of Risk of Rain 2 in pancake mode, im scared to make the leap into VR

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 19, 2022