Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the steam version also has support for custom dictionaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

flatluigi posted:

the steam version also has support for custom dictionaries
FYI that is Typing of the Dead: Overkill, a supremely worse version of the game in tone but, yeah, good for custom dictionary action.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The we love Katamari run is fun and the commentary is good, too bad so much of the run has to dip out of the levels before you can see like half the stuff in them

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just watching some post event stuff and Nintendo club 100% Super Metroid seems like a great run for a future event just to hear people react in horror at how strange the route is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
argick's sonic costume is even funnier in motion

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

drat, the Metal Warriors run was really cool run of a neat game I'd never heard of, but the game softlocked near the end :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hunt11 posted:

Just watching some post event stuff and Nintendo club 100% Super Metroid seems like a great run for a future event just to hear people react in horror at how strange the route is.

Could you explain more?

EDIT: https://wiki.supermetroid.run/Nintendo_Power%25

OH. Oh God.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Could you explain more?

OH. Oh God.

It is a sight to behold. For those curious here is a link to the run in question. https://twitch.tv/videos/1267230708?t=567s

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DoctorWhat posted:

Could you explain more?

OH. Oh God.

Club Nintendo is a different publication with a ridiculously unoptimized 100% route. :v:

https://wiki.supermetroid.run/Club_Nintendo

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
This was a very excellent rendition of the Awesome Games Done Quick. I learned a lot along the way and personally I am excited for future Club Nintendo% runs.

Question; has there ever been a speed run of Senran Kagura? I personally think that would be pretty kick rear end! Anime and speedrunnning? It's like a mix made in heaven.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

drat, i completely missed it among the recommendations but Snolf 0 (sonic 1, with golf controls) was a wild run, first that it's even possible, let alone fast.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

worms butthole guy posted:

Question; has there ever been a speed run of Senran Kagura? I personally think that would be pretty kick rear end! Anime and speedrunnning? It's like a mix made in heaven.

https://www.speedrun.com/senran_kagura_series

At GDQ? No.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They gave the Memed Perlers sketch it's own VOD. Just in case you need some slightly cursed GDQ content to send to your friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZADyjh8q5Q

I look forward to it seeing it in the OP for SGDQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cernunnos posted:

They gave the Memed Perlers sketch it's own VOD. Just in case you need some slightly cursed GDQ content to send to your friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZADyjh8q5Q

I look forward to it seeing it in the OP for SGDQ

Well, I liked it, but I'm an absolute sucker for steamed hams content :shrug:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I said it was only slightly cursed. I unironically enjoyed it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shootmania is nuts. really scratches that quake speedmap itch tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
any particularly funny/banter ones

covid gdq times really makes me miss the good poo poo like andy and patty and other couch shenanigans

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I miss watching the audience. They had great hats and dancing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I do too, but I also like the opportunity to have international runners and machines not easily transportable to a location.

Wish they'd get some Pinball Done Quick going while we're stuck though.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Wish they'd get some Pinball Done Quick going while we're stuck though.

oh hell yea i would be all over this

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"okay so if we put the coat hanger through like this we can push the buttons instead of using the ball"

rox
Sep 7, 2016

im thinkin more like "race to finishing all modes" , "race to set score" , "randomizer race with set goals per table"

that kinda thing

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
So for the next time save, you need to imagine 4 balls on the edge of a bumper.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

any particularly funny/banter ones

covid gdq times really makes me miss the good poo poo like andy and patty and other couch shenanigans

pokemon crystal randomizer, they spend 2 hours dogging each other and doing pokemon sounds for charity. then something amazing happens

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Mike Uyama was interviewed for the Washington Post. I always love his origin story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/01/13/games-done-quick-agdq-sgdq-mike-uyama-speedrunning-gaming-charity/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is he the guy who's featured on GDQ's Twitter banner?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yes that is Mike Uyama

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bike tory posted:

yes that is Mike Uyama

Yep.....

I totally meant YouTube banner.

:negative:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I still want to watch a lot more runs, and I'm sure everyone's going to have their own hit lists, but here's my recommendations so far. This isn't every run I've seen, but generally each one that has a reason to watch it, including a few I didn't like but others did.

Here's a list of runs I watched and recommend for the most part.

If you're only going to watch two runs, watch Sekiro and GeoGuessr, those are the top ones I've seen.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

• Discworld - I haven't finished this one yet, I'm halfway through. So far it's great, great commentary from the runner, I love the franchise its based on but I'm not familiar with this game, and all the runners cosplaying as characters from the games they are playing is great - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsiC7mx1kzw

holy poo poo what. that's rad!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aware posted:

holy poo poo what. that's rad!

Yeah, I played the heck out of that game as a kid so I wasn't sure if there would be anything new to me (I even knew about the glitches with the final item, though I don't think kid-me figured out any tricks with it since I wasn't in a speedrun mindset). But it's a very clean run that takes time to explain the tricks and throws in some Discworld lore. I wonder how much he rehearsed, it's interesting when nonstop chatter hits the relevant parts at the right time.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Still catching up on youtube but the I Am Bread run is probably my favorite of the event so far.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Things we know about Mike:

- Has not disappeared
- Owns a jacket

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Someone in the comments on that Uyama article naturally tried to tear him down (because internet and people are jerks) claiming the article said he was the first charity speedrunner (it didn't) and actually there were others. That got me wondering though, other than the effort everyone is willing to put into it every year (which is a VERY BIG "other than") is there a reason this one in particular took off?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
This year's stream has been so great I want to go back and watch some of the old AGDQs and SGDQs. Any stand out runs I should check out, preferably with good/fun commentary? Thanks

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Someone in the comments on that Uyama article naturally tried to tear him down (because internet and people are jerks) claiming the article said he was the first charity speedrunner (it didn't) and actually there were others. That got me wondering though, other than the effort everyone is willing to put into it every year (which is a VERY BIG "other than") is there a reason this one in particular took off?
Were there other consistent speedrun marathons prior to GDQ?

There's constant speedrunning content now and a speedrunning marathon practically every week somewhere on Twitch now - but just speaking for myself as someone who's played games for decades but mostly just casually, Speed Demos Archive was certainly the first speed-running focused site I'd ever heard of (way back in like...late 2000's probably?) and GDQ was similarly the first marathon I'd heard of (back in like 2011 or so) even though I didn't bother to watch it. And GDQ was definitely the first one I heard of on general gaming news sites like Kotaku.

So maybe SDA and GDQ weren't exactly the very first of their kind; someone else can freely correct me on the History of Speedrunning - but just from where I'm at, it was the first I'd heard of...and I'll bet I'm far from the only one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bruceski posted:

That got me wondering though, other than the effort everyone is willing to put into it every year (which is a VERY BIG "other than") is there a reason this one in particular took off?

My guess would be the MAGfest connection. Piggybacking off of that for a few years while the runners were in the DC area meant GDQ was getting attention from that same audience as MAGFest grew from a few hundred people into a 20k+ attendee convention.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think it's a combination of things. Piggybacking off MAGfest helped, but I think it was also right place right time in terms of a (relative) boom in speedrunning popularity. It's also tbqh a testament to the work the GDQ people have done to make the event accessible and prevent gamers using gamer words and poo poo.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

This year's stream has been so great I want to go back and watch some of the old AGDQs and SGDQs. Any stand out runs I should check out, preferably with good/fun commentary? Thanks

The finales are almost always good. TGH's Undertale run from like 2017(?) stands out to me as an amazing finale

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

No way there was a successful charity speedrunning marathon prior to CGDQ, and if there was, it had to have been on a smaller scale.

EDIT: ok I found a short informative book by Eric Koziel (Omnigamer, aka the guy that proved Dragster couldn't be done as fast as Todd Rogers said it could). Here is an excerpt that shows there WERE charity speedrun marathons prior to GDQ, and that is what inspired Uyama to get him and the rest of the SDA crew involved. (The book also talks about the Desert Bus charity marathon I mentioned in the unedited post)

quote:

The following year, a group calling itself The Speed Gamers (TSG)
borrowed the marathon concept and gave it a speedrun-oriented
spin. In March 2008, they hosted the  rst speedrun-oriented
marathon in support of charity. Speci cally, the event played
through every main Zelda title within 72 hours while raising funds
for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. They would go on to
host 7 more marathons with di erent themes throughout 2008,
and kept up the pace in 2009. Though the events were successful,
the general audience for streams was fairly small. The concept of
streamed games, let alone streamed marathon events of games,
was still too new to attract viral attention.

In mid-2009, the marathon phenomenon was gaining notoriety
among the users at Speed Demos Archive. In particular, user and
site administrator Mike Uyama took to formalizing the myriad ideas
of other users and defining the structure and timing of an SDAoriented marathon
source: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0014/1962/files/SpeedrunScience-010518_4e78a515-1852-4daf-ad5f-3f870cd569a8.pdf

The one that people might remember, and the one that Uyama and other GDQ founders and workers used to talk about was Desert Bus: the charity marathon where people would take turns playing the same file of Desert Bus while people did skits and dances and stuff for charity.

For a few years Desert Bus was considered the highest earning gaming marathon for charity, but that didn't last. Still, that's the one that people talked about during the first few GDQs.

The reason the GDQs are more successful is obvious. It's because of the speedruns. They are such good performances that the event goes beyond a wonderful gathering to fundraise and turns it into gaming's version of Live Aid.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure the name "Games Done Quick" is a play off of "Quake Done Quick," a popular recam of a run from the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24izUSj1xY

(It's a cool video in its own right, with some neat tech)

I think the SDA started with those, along with some Doom WAD speedruns.