Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

If you're going to run a whole rear end PC server anyway why bother with RPis for server duty at all? Just set up some VMs or containers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I'm also concerned about power use, and this is a great solution.

E: I should add, i run whole rear end servers for a living. Squeezing all this out of a computer the size of a wallet is my hobby. Don't tell me how to live my life, dad.

Ee: all this crap is running in Docker swarm so I'm already doing what you suggested anyhow :colbert:

Eee: also it's all tucked away under an end table, which is an important consideration in this small house.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 19, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

astral posted:

Not to mention there's a night and day difference between modern PHP and 2012 PHP.

Speaking of how many Pi4 nodes do you have running the k3s cluster hosting the forums? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I motivate everyone to start buying power squids instead of traditional power strips, technically it's more wire but you get to use 100% of your outlets which is a huge upside.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xzzy posted:

I motivate everyone to start buying power squids instead of traditional power strips, technically it's more wire but you get to use 100% of your outlets which is a huge upside.

The username "⚡POWER⚡ Squid" with an avatar of the dark lord Cthulhu drawn as an angry 5 outlet surge protector is a quality image.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm really looking forward to more things using USB PD, so I no longer have 58 wall warts vying for space.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

USB PD is magical and every device up to 100W should implement it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

USB PD is magical and every device up to 100W should implement it.

USB C 2.1 goes up to 240W!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cruft posted:

I'm really looking forward to more things using USB PD, so I no longer have 58 wall warts vying for space.

The problem I'm seeing is because of the amount of juice flowing through the box, it's pretty hard to find bricks that charge more than two devices. Or they throttle pretty badly once multiple devices are plugged in.

And all the options out there right now are just as bad for blocking outlets. There's still a density advantage if it has two or more usb ports, but still. Nothing has been learned.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I just set up a Pi Zero W in a headless setup where its only going to be on some of the time (serving files via SMB 1 to some old hardware via a USB Ethernet adapter isolated from the internet) and currently my only problem is figuring out how to turn it off. Currently, I'm ssh-ing into it over wifi to shut it down, but I'd ideally like to get some kind of physical button to use for safely shutting it down, is there anything I can get for that that's simple to set up?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can hook up a power switch. There's some hats that have them built in

https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-to-add-a-power-button-to-your-raspberry-pi

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

gourdcaptain posted:

I just set up a Pi Zero W in a headless setup where its only going to be on some of the time (serving files via SMB 1 to some old hardware via a USB Ethernet adapter isolated from the internet) and currently my only problem is figuring out how to turn it off. Currently, I'm ssh-ing into it over wifi to shut it down, but I'd ideally like to get some kind of physical button to use for safely shutting it down, is there anything I can get for that that's simple to set up?
Put a button across GPIO3 and ground (pins 5 and 6) and set dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown in the boot config. If you need I2C it can be moved to another pin with further parameters, documentation available here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/overlays/README#L1200

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

wolrah posted:

Put a button across GPIO3 and ground (pins 5 and 6) and set dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown in the boot config. If you need I2C it can be moved to another pin with further parameters, documentation available here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/overlays/README#L1200

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Zero W I have doesn't have the pin headers installed and I don't have the tools for that, but I'll if I can do anything on that front too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

gourdcaptain posted:

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Zero W I have doesn't have the pin headers installed and I don't have the tools for that, but I'll if I can do anything on that front too.
If the USB port is already in use for the ethernet adapter how are you expecting to be able to connect a power button without using the header pins?

Soldering at this level is not too hard, I suck at it and I can still do it, and basic tools are not super expensive.

That said there are pogo pin rigs for being able to connect a hat without soldering, but you'd need a PCB in hat format that then broke out the right GPIO pins for you to plug in a button.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm going to second that it sounds like it's time for you to invest in a soldering iron. For this job, even a bad soldering job will be good enough.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah you can get an iron and a roll of solder for less than 10 bux and it will last you many projects

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A 10 dollar iron that you don't know how to use or take care of might last one project.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

A 10 dollar iron that you don't know how to use or take care of might last one project.

I have no idea what the quality level is on modern cheap irons, but anecdotally the Radio Shack "My First Soldering Kit" iron I got as a kid still worked last time I tried it even after 25 years of neglect and improper use.

There's not much to go wrong with a heating element with a handle screwed to a chunk of metal.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

? I don't know how hard you are on tools but I used a $10 iron i got as a preteen for over a decade on dozens of projects and all the care I did to it was wipe the tip off sometimes

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wolrah posted:

I have no idea what the quality level is on modern cheap irons, but anecdotally the Radio Shack "My First Soldering Kit" iron I got as a kid still worked last time I tried it even after 25 years of neglect and improper use.

There's not much to go wrong with a heating element with a handle screwed to a chunk of metal.

Oh, there's plenty that can go wrong with it, just ask any parent with upholstered furniture.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I got a random generic iron sold by Adafruit as my first iron and it sucked to the point I bought a TS100 to replace it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cruft posted:

Oh, there's plenty that can go wrong with it, just ask any parent with upholstered furniture.
Oh I very much know that. The "improper use" included burning holes in plastic things and a bit of "artwork" on the kitchen table.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

other people posted:

also plex is horrible try jellyfin instead. for a lot of use cases it is good enough

I'm not a fan of all the crap Plex is adding in (to monetize themselves), but you can't beat it for sharing with remote users.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wolrah posted:

If you don't know how to tin the tip properly, it will eventually get too oxidized to do much of anything. The first weller I got that I didn't know how to take care of eventually couldn't melt solder at all because it got too oxidized.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Moey posted:

I'm not a fan of all the crap Plex is adding in (to monetize themselves), but you can't beat it for sharing with remote users.

And to arbitrary devices. That's what got me to switch from a MySQL shared database Kodi setup to Plex in the first place and what keeps me from trying Jellyfin. Every hotel or AirBnB I've stayed in, every friend or family member I've crashed with, no matter what kind of setup they had if there was any connection between the internet and the TV there was a Plex client available somewhere.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never had a cheapo iron outright break on me, even while learning. However my soldering vastly improved once I got a Hakko FX-888D because I had gotten to the point where I was good enough at soldering that the low power output and temperature control of the cheapo iron was holding me back.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
You can get a soldering station with temperature control for like $30 on Amazon. Or spend like $75 for a TS100 with a power supply. Don't try to solder with a crappy $10 iron without temperature control.

Use leaded solder (not lead free). If the solder comes on a green spool it will be trickier to work with. Get some flux. And some rubbing alcohol and an old tooth brush to clean with.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Super-cheap irons that don't have temperature control suck for soldering directly to a circuit board. They're both underpowered (low watts so they don't cook themselves) and will get too hot (a 25W iron will go over 400C, eventually). It works but there are a lot of downsides, and it's totally possible to gently caress up your board as a beginner.

If the iron is too hot your can destroy components. And being underpowered means you can easily keep the iron on the board too long as the heat gets sucked out.

If you're gonna solder electronics stuff you really want temperature control. It's doesn't have to be a fancy digital one, but the old crap from the radio shack solder kit is just a really bad idea for doing PCB work. Trust me. I also had an old cheapo 25W iron that I said "good enough, I hardly ever use it".

hosed up a trace on the board, learned the hard way. (Trying to fix something that was already dead so not a great tragedy, but still.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

loving up traces just teaches you how to use a bit of wire to create a new route around the damage! Free education!

I was told in the distance past that this is called field wiring, but looking it up now I'm not sure anyone actually uses that term.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PBCrunch posted:

Use leaded solder (not lead free). If the solder comes on a green spool it will be trickier to work with.

Useful to note this does not apply in Europe.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I prefer lead-free personally and dont really find either easier to work with than the other.

if you want a power switch for a Rpi you can get in-line lamp switch USB power cables and use that?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Laserface posted:

if you want a power switch for a Rpi you can get in-line lamp switch USB power cables and use that?

The problem with that is you want to trigger a graceful shutdown instead of just ripping the power.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/add-power-button-raspberry-pi/

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I recently got a zero 2, a fresh install of rasbian and This 800x480 screen connected via HDMI cable.

It only wants to display in portrait, the options to rotate are greyed out unless I lower the screen resolution which then causes the screen to go purple (I'm guessing because the resolution is too low)

The manufacture pages act as if there shouldn't be an issue with rotating the display and nobody else seems to have mentioned the issue so am I missing something obvious?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

In the wiki there are some commands for setting it from terminal, maybe try that? Also did you run the setup scripts on that page?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A Proper Uppercut posted:

In the wiki there are some commands for setting it from terminal, maybe try that? Also did you run the setup scripts on that page?

Admittedly I'd glazed over the setup bits thinking it was just to do with the touch screen.
Whilst looking into trying to alter the config file my pi asked if I wanted to do updates and suddenly I could rotate the screen.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I bought the Pi4 Canakit that has been collecting some dust. Think it's try to give this emulator thingy a go. Is there a good guide out there that uses (or assumes) you have everything in the starter kit? Google is all over the place.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

96 spacejam posted:

I bought the Pi4 Canakit that has been collecting some dust. Think it's try to give this emulator thingy a go. Is there a good guide out there that uses (or assumes) you have everything in the starter kit? Google is all over the place.

There's not much to it. Download the official Raspberry Pi imager tool and flash your SD card with your chosen image. IIRC the imager tool has RetroPie and Recalbox options built in. Pressing Ctrl-Shift-X while the official imager is open will open a menu with wifi credentials and locale settings, both of which are much easier to enter here than on the software itself.

Another popular choice is Batocera. You can find an image file for it here. Write it using Balena etcher.

These all do essentially the same thing in the same way, using a front end called Emulation station to run RetroArch, so it's really a choice between what kind of customization options they offer. It might be a good idea to just flash each one and play with them for a minute before you get the SD card loaded up with ROMs. I use RetroPie. It has good documentation including a getting started guide here. I'm sure the other distros have something similar if you search em.

Whatever image you use, you should play around with the options and get it set up before you move your entire ROM library onto it - I hosed up and had to reflash a few times, which would have been much easier to do if I hadn't been loading them up each time.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 27, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-os-64-bit/

Well they finally went and did it. I think. I honestly can’t tell if it’s out of beta or not.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Warbird posted:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-os-64-bit/

Well they finally went and did it. I think. I honestly can’t tell if it’s out of beta or not.

I didn’t even know it was in beta. A few weeks ago I stumbled onto the page and slapped it on my 4GB Pi 4 after hearing aarch64 was a minor performance bump versus 32-bit. The only thing that seemed amiss was that the first apt-update triggered some weird circular dependency with VLC that was resolved by apt-removing and reinstalling. Other than that it’s been smooth - compiled Vulkan and a few Quake ports, installed Firefox ESR, and generally found it to be perfectly fine.

Edit: though come to think of it, video acceleration also seems iffy. I need to spend some time digging into that.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Hasturtium posted:

Edit: though come to think of it, video acceleration also seems iffy.

The story of Raspberry Pi.

SD card as a default boot media is absolutely awful.