Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Alhazred posted:

This interview absolutely tries to cast him in a more positive light and he still fucks it by being a lovely person.

If there are 20+ indefensible screen caps of his answers, it doesn’t seem like the writer is trying to cast him in a more positive light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah this seems like a rare case of giving a shithead a platform that has actually resulted in the subject hanging themselves from said platform with their own rope.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/TheSugarVenom/status/1483138846170644481?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheSugarVenom/status/1483140613126057985?s=20

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Eggnogium posted:

If there are 20+ indefensible screen caps of his answers, it doesn’t seem like the writer is trying to cast him in a more positive light.

quote:

While Whedon’s superhero epics were leavened by irony and wordplay, Snyder’s were brooding and self-important, with a visual style that combined the artificiality of a video game with the fascist aesthetic of a Leni Riefenstahl production.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lmfao that last one

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
B-b-but men are just enraged rape animals, they can't help themselves! Would you tell a fish not to swim?!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/joss-whedon-gal-gadot-ray-fisher-justice-league-charisma-carpenter-buffy-angel-1235155756/

For anyone who cares to read Joss Whedon committing career suicide. Way to just confirm every accusation and rumor about your behavior on set, buddy.

That's only part of the interview, and doesn't have the "I had to sleep with those women! When else would I get the chance!" quote from above. The whole thing is here.

https://www.vulture.com/article/joss-whedon-allegations.html?utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=nym&utm_medium=s1

What a cluster gently caress of an interview.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

does anyone have the tweet where someone writes fake quippy dialogue of Joss and in response his ex-wife just goes "I'm divorcing you"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

they're right

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

moonmazed posted:

they're right

that's_bait.gif

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Eggnogium posted:

Yeah, I just read the full article and it absolutely is not trying to cast him in a positive light. The writer is just aware enough to know that Whedon's own words and accounts are bad enough to the point where she doesn't need to add on to it. Hell, Joss even agrees!

quote:

Whedon said he could no longer remain silent as people tried to pry his legacy from his hands. But there was a problem. Those people had set out to destroy him and would surely seize on his every utterance in an attempt to finish the job. “I’m terrified,” he said, “of every word that comes out of my mouth.”

Yeah, she does draw a few parallels between the past and present attitudes toward Whedon and Snyder, but the point behind that is that building up a cult of personality around a person to the point that they can do no wrong is basically always a bad idea.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean she literally highlights a comparison of him to Richard III at one point. And then ends on that "but I'm a nice guy really!" line in a way that's hard not to read as deliberate irony.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, about the most positive thing in there is a former writer of his saying "Well, he was definitely a dick, but I don't know if I'd call him an abusive dick. But I am very vulnerable to being manipulated by abusers, so."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Don’t look up what Inara’s syringe was fire in the Firefly pilot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Instant Sunrise posted:

Don’t look up what Inara’s syringe was fire in the Firefly pilot.

I'm at a point where any male author, screen writer, director, etc, is like "You know what this story needs? Rape" gets, at the least, a questionable glance. Anything more than once, then yeah, they've got an issue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wasn't he also really abusive towards the actor who played Xander?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wasn't he also really abusive towards the actor who played Xander?

Extremely. Nicholas Brendon was a recovering alcoholic and relapsed due to the screaming abuse he dealt with for years.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If Whedon took that interview hoping it would be his turning point to emerge from persona non grata status, goof grief.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah this seems like a rare case of giving a shithead a platform that has actually resulted in the subject hanging themselves from said platform with their own rope.

I feel like that understates the sheer self-evisceration going on here. Just like, Metal Gear Rising boss fight Zandatsuing himself.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Seemlar posted:

goof grief.

a-hyuck, guess i accidentally killed willow's girlfriend! AHAHAHOOOEY

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Seemlar posted:

If Whedon took that interview hoping it would be his turning point to emerge from persona non grata status, goof grief.
It’s like he watched Price Andrew’s interview and thought “Yes, this is exactly what I need to do.”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

That's only part of the interview, and doesn't have the "I had to sleep with those women! When else would I get the chance!" quote from above. The whole thing is here.

https://www.vulture.com/article/joss-whedon-allegations.html?utm_source=tw&utm_campaign=nym&utm_medium=s1

What a cluster gently caress of an interview.

My bad, thanks for correcting.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

pentyne posted:

Extremely. Nicholas Brendon was a recovering alcoholic and relapsed due to the screaming abuse he dealt with for years.

Brendon has also been out there defending Whedon so I'm not sure how true that actually is.

I think the writer of the piece is having Whedon hang himself, but the weird aside into how Zack Snyder is a fascist left a bad taste, particularly as it had nothing to do with the piece itself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Brendon has also been out there defending Whedon so I'm not sure how true that actually is.

I think the writer of the piece is having Whedon hang himself, but the weird aside into how Zack Snyder is a fascist left a bad taste, particularly as it had nothing to do with the piece itself.
The article also write about there being a conspiracy against him involving Ray Fisher.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

The worst part of the Joss Whedon profile was the reveal that his real name is Joseph.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Whedon's whole game seems to be just putting so much oily, sticky self-loathing out there that he hopes people will take pity on him. Its like an animal rolling on its back and making GBS threads itself so a bear won't eat it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Whedon's whole game seems to be just putting so much oily, sticky self-loathing out there that he hopes people will take pity on him. Its like an animal rolling on its back and making GBS threads itself so a bear won't eat it.

Also flinging that poo poo on people around him

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Joe Sweden is the guy who wore a trilby in high school

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Shane Carruth, director of Primer and Upstream Color, arrested on domestic violence charges.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

drat, I remember hearing about Amy Seimetz getting a restraining order against him a few years ago. This is a different ex-girlfriend apparently.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This Vulture article is so incredibly goddamn brutal and perfect that no celebrity will ever talk to Lila Shapiro again ever. poo poo, I wouldn't agree to an interview with her.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

wizardofloneliness posted:

drat, I remember hearing about Amy Seimetz getting a restraining order against him a few years ago. This is a different ex-girlfriend apparently.

Ah, yes, this one where he casually includes the restraining order, which I'm sure came up in this thread about 18 months ago.

https://twitter.com/UpstreamColor/status/1281691019692486657

Shane Carruth is a gently caress, and I don't care how good Primer or Upstream Color or whatever other movies he's made are, because I'm not watching them out of general principle.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

emo-ignorance posted:

The worst part of the Joss Whedon profile was the reveal that his real name is Joseph.

I don't know, this was pretty bad, too:

quote:

When he was 5, a 4-year-old boy, the son of family friends, disappeared on his parents’ property upstate. Eventually, his body was found; he had drowned in the pond. Years later, as a teenager, Whedon remembered he had called the boy over to the pond to play with him. After getting bored, he had walked away, leaving the boy alone by the water. “I didn’t think it was my fault,” Whedon said. “I knew I was 5. But it doesn’t just disappear as a thought.” It took him another 30 years, he said, before another thought dawned on him: Even after the incident, his parents never taught him to swim. “There was no structure,” he said. “There was no safety.”
Uh....huh.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I don't know, this was pretty bad, too:

Uh....huh.

:catstare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well he definitely killed that kid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Well he definitely killed that kid.

Yeah, I have no idea why that would even be in the article unless the reporter had a lot of questions with no provable answers.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I know Joss Whedon is an awful person and all, but that seems like a terrible accident and not a 5-year old murdering someone.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

wizardofloneliness posted:

I know Joss Whedon is an awful person and all, but that seems like a terrible accident and not a 5-year old murdering someone.

Sounds like something joss whedon would say!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It was from this tragedy that he was able to construct his first quip to deflect knowing where the kid was when asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

"What I meant to say to Gal Godot," Josh continues, "is that if she didn't do the scene she'd end up like my swimming buddy."