Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman,

What's the current options for a data-only BYOD setup?

What’s the device ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Duckman2008 posted:

What’s the device ?

Would be a Note 10+, but I don't want it to be a full line both because of cost, and because he's 8.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Would be a Note 10+, but I don't want it to be a full line both because of cost, and because he's 8.

It’ll charge the same voice or voice , $30 a month.

That said, you can get a $350 gift card for adding a BYOD, so 11 months free, just requires 12 months service. Setup fee is $35.

If you want help activating that PM me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It’ll charge the same voice or voice , $30 a month.

That said, you can get a $350 gift card for adding a BYOD, so 11 months free, just requires 12 months service. Setup fee is $35.

If you want help activating that PM me.

What if I activated it in an iPad first? My middle's SIM is currently data only and he's swapped it in and out of phones a bunch. Coupled with the $10 "Connected device" discount I get with one of my lines being on Play <something>, that makes it pretty cheap overall.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

What if I activated it in an iPad first? My middle's SIM is currently data only and he's swapped it in and out of phones a bunch. Coupled with the $10 "Connected device" discount I get with one of my lines being on Play <something>, that makes it pretty cheap overall.

It’ll auto provision to a smartphone line plan and service when you swap it. I get what you want to do, but unfortunately it won’t work, they’ll always provision it unfortunately.

So it’s either have tab to use as line , or pay a bit more as a phone line. Whichever you need, def can help.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I promised to look into returning to a family plan and I need some help. I don't care about phones anymore, I used to be hip and cool then what was "hip and cool" changed and I'm old now. All the major carriers seem really expensive for what you get.

3 phone lines. No idea what the data we'd need. Probably not a huge amount, but I haven't been keeping track.
Currently have ATT 6gb @$100mo for one line. We'd like to port that number over.
Have an unassociated prepaid line that we're not attached to the number but would port if it's not a hassle to port 2 lines.
also need to add a new line. Not hard there.

Would also like the option of an iPad data line, but can live without it.

Phones: We'd like to get two new iPhones but may just pay apple directly if the price is about the same? I'm really tired of ATT's sim locking until you ransom your phone back to them. I don't mind the contract, but sometimes we have to travel overseas suddenly and can't sim swap for a local carrier unless you payoff your ATT device and wait 2 weeks for their unlocking service.

Third line's phone is an unlocked SE 2nd edition. Just would need to make sure it is compatible.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yo when that sweet new Galaxy gonna drop?

Galaxy s22 right?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It’ll auto provision to a smartphone line plan and service when you swap it. I get what you want to do, but unfortunately it won’t work, they’ll always provision it unfortunately.

So it’s either have tab to use as line , or pay a bit more as a phone line. Whichever you need, def can help.

That's interesting. The sim that was originally in middle's iPad is currently sitting in a phone, and was swapped back and forth between the iPad and an iphone a ton until the iPhone finally died.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vaporware posted:

I promised to look into returning to a family plan and I need some help. I don't care about phones anymore, I used to be hip and cool then what was "hip and cool" changed and I'm old now. All the major carriers seem really expensive for what you get.

3 phone lines. No idea what the data we'd need. Probably not a huge amount, but I haven't been keeping track.
Currently have ATT 6gb @$100mo for one line. We'd like to port that number over.
Have an unassociated prepaid line that we're not attached to the number but would port if it's not a hassle to port 2 lines.
also need to add a new line. Not hard there.

Would also like the option of an iPad data line, but can live without it.

Phones: We'd like to get two new iPhones but may just pay apple directly if the price is about the same? I'm really tired of ATT's sim locking until you ransom your phone back to them. I don't mind the contract, but sometimes we have to travel overseas suddenly and can't sim swap for a local carrier unless you payoff your ATT device and wait 2 weeks for their unlocking service.

Third line's phone is an unlocked SE 2nd edition. Just would need to make sure it is compatible.

Just to check: are asking about Verizon specifically?

What phones do you have to trade in for the first 2 phones? You’ll get a minimum $350 gift card to add a line with the iPhone SE, assuming it is not yet on Verizon.

Plan starts at $135 for 3 lines, iPad is $20ish to add on that. I can get more specific once I know what phones you have to trade in, etc.

Post or PM, and I can help you order it if you want.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's interesting. The sim that was originally in middle's iPad is currently sitting in a phone, and was swapped back and forth between the iPad and an iphone a ton until the iPhone finally died.

Oh, well it’s supposed to re provision. I can always add a line for you as a BYOD tab line, just I can’t guarantee it wouldn’t re provision when you put the SIM in a phone.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is there an MVNO thread for us misers always looking for deals? edit: I found the prepaid thread right after posting this so ...

I want to switch from a T-mobile/Sprint MVNO to one of the Verizon ones as T-mobile pissing me off with their Metro not-deals bullshit and Tello (the MVNO I use now) can't fix my MMSs.

I'm looking at Red Pocket and Twigby right now. Seems like everything costs $10 more than my Sprint MVNO, which makes sense.

If you have any deals hit me up, not sure I trust meta-lists of "BEST VERIZON MVNOS" that much.

I'm not a power user so 2-3gb of data is plenty for me (also need a new phone in the $200 range refurbished or new).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

US Mobile might be worth checking out. They run on the Verizon network iirc. A "build your own" plan with 3GB is right around $15-16 with tax.

If you have Xfinity or Spectrum for cable or internet already, they both have reasonably priced mobile plans on the Verizon network as well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trying to see how the 'upgrade early' plan works on a verizon PlayMore unlimited 5G UW Plan.

I've had my iphone 12 mini for 13 months so I'm eligible for an early upgrade, but still 'owe' $320 on the phone since I didn't purchase it outright.

Looking at my bill, I notice a few things:

There's a device payment plan (payment 13 of 24) which is $27.49 a month.
There's also a Trade in device promo CREDIT of $17 a month

When I started adding an iphone 13 to my cart, it looks like I have two options:

Either pay for the rest of the phone outright ($320)
Or trade it in (so long as it's not damaged)

When I went through the online cart and added a 13 and used $130 of my upgrade device dollars, the monthly payment was only $26.33 a month.

Here's how I interpret all of the above:

I can trade my iphone 12 in for an iphone 13. In doing so, I extend the amount of payments (from 13 left to 30 new payments)
My payments would be $1 less per month.

So not financially sound, but I can get a newer phone by trading in my existing phone. Does that all sound correct? ALSO, would I lose the 'trade in device promo credit of $17 a month if I upgraded?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Trying to see how the 'upgrade early' plan works on a verizon PlayMore unlimited 5G UW Plan.

I've had my iphone 12 mini for 13 months so I'm eligible for an early upgrade, but still 'owe' $320 on the phone since I didn't purchase it outright.

Looking at my bill, I notice a few things:

There's a device payment plan (payment 13 of 24) which is $27.49 a month.
There's also a Trade in device promo CREDIT of $17 a month

When I started adding an iphone 13 to my cart, it looks like I have two options:

Either pay for the rest of the phone outright ($320)
Or trade it in (so long as it's not damaged)

When I went through the online cart and added a 13 and used $130 of my upgrade device dollars, the monthly payment was only $26.33 a month.

Here's how I interpret all of the above:

I can trade my iphone 12 in for an iphone 13. In doing so, I extend the amount of payments (from 13 left to 30 new payments)
My payments would be $1 less per month.

So not financially sound, but I can get a newer phone by trading in my existing phone. Does that all sound correct? ALSO, would I lose the 'trade in device promo credit of $17 a month if I upgraded?

I’ll PM you my number, I work today and can help you.

Long story short, phone has to be not damaged for early upgrade. There’s also an option to buyout phone (as you’re seeing) and then trade in phone for a credit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Anyone else notice that RCS is completely broken on Verizon?

None of my users with it enabled can get/send texts. And if you disable it, you can't re-enable it. Gets stuck at "trying to verify phone number"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I couldn’t tell you on that one (I use an iPhone and google voice). Not sure if tech support would trouble shoot it at all either, personally I kind of doubt it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I couldn’t tell you on that one (I use an iPhone and google voice). Not sure if tech support would trouble shoot it at all either, personally I kind of doubt it.

Yeah I tried tech support, they had no idea what I was even talking about.

It's confirmed, found a thread on Reddit. Many others having the same problem starting this morning. RCS on Verizon is completely down.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I doubt any of my coworkers have any idea what RCS is , and I’m not terribly surprised tech support didn’t either.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I have a feeling after today a lot more of them will know.

Given that the feature has been enabled by default for a while on phones from VZW.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

I have a feeling after today a lot more of them will know.

Given that the feature has been enabled by default for a while on phones from VZW.

Well, maybe tech support people will know.

They’ll probably only do something whenever it gets to the point that websites like the verge post about it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I noticed that texts with my brother were light blue and just assumed one of us dropped off, as happens periodically. Good to know it's not just me/us.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Some of my phones at work didn't fail over so gracefully.. I had to instruct a couple people to either delete their existing conversation with someone or disable RCS.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Any reason not to “upgrade” from Play More or whatever the previous plan was to the new 5G Play More plan? Looks exactly the same and you get Apple Arcade forever instead of just 6 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

Any reason not to “upgrade” from Play More or whatever the previous plan was to the new 5G Play More plan? Looks exactly the same and you get Apple Arcade forever instead of just 6 months.

Unless you’re on the old old one that has Apple Music for free no.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless you’re on the old old one that has Apple Music for free no.

i opened the verizon app to see if that's what i was on and was greeted by this

am i gonna lose apple music when they push this? it's not listed there but it says the new stuff is just going to be in addition to what i currently get

baram. fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 16, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

i opened the verizon app to see if that's what i was on and was greeted by this

am i gonna lose apple music when they push this? it's not listed there but it says the new stuff is just going to be in addition to what i currently get

Yeah, you’re good, you were not getting Apple Music to begin with.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, you’re good, you were not getting Apple Music to begin with.

yes, i am.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

yes, i am.

I’d have to see your plan to confirm.

Is your current (before said changes) plan called “Play More” or “Play More 5G.”

Play more game with Apple Music. Play More 5G is more recent and came with Disney+ instead of Apple Music . Current plan is basically a re brand of Play More 5G.

I would call care and ask them: (800) 392-0717 , option 0.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The branding here is not confusing at all :haw:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

The branding here is not confusing at all :haw:

Ugh completely agree.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maduin posted:

It looked like a better deal to me but when I clicked all the way through it showed a bill that was $40/month higher. It was hard to tell what happened to my discounts through the site but something must've gotten dropped.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

my fault, i'm on one of the Get More plans, i didn't realize that screen defaulted to the lower ones. get more winds up $5 cheaper overall because it's 10/mo instead of 15/mo for apple music that way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

It looked like a better deal to me but when I clicked all the way through it showed a bill that was $40/month higher. It was hard to tell what happened to my discounts through the site but something must've gotten dropped.

If In doubt call care, and wait on hold for whatever the hold times are (I know they’re not great) to verify. It’s worth it to check if once, if you have the time.

baram. posted:

my fault, i'm on one of the Get More plans, i didn't realize that screen defaulted to the lower ones. get more winds up $5 cheaper overall because it's 10/mo instead of 15/mo for apple music that way.

As someone else mentioned, it’s not like these plans are labeled well.

It’s crazy right now, we are now halfway through January, and once it hits say, 1130am eastern, it’s just non stop calls still all day. Busier now then last April and May, which is crazy to say for January. I assume it’s a combo of Covid, stores having limited availability , and a poo poo ton of people (including me) take vacation in January because we can’t in December , but it’s still crazy how busy it is.

My quota is literally, 3 phones, only 3 phones lower than December. That’s usually insane, because January is like , maybe 50% sales or something from December.

I’m already only 10% from goal (or possibly at goal). Granted, it includes a bit of December shipping late, but yeah, it’s still crazy to see.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can someone give me the cliff notes version of all these articles about how Verizon (and ATT) are “turning on” their 5G networks today?

I live in NYC so I’ve had 5G the whole time and 5G-UW most times when I’m outside. Is this “new” 5G just supposed to be faster? Or is it just the same 5G I’ve always had, just now available in more places?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

turning a big dial taht says "5G" on it and constantly looking back at the FAA for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

turning a big dial taht says "5G" on it and constantly looking back at the FAA for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Sir. It says “5G Ultra” , thank you very much (the branding is so boring).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/01/us-airlines-warn-of-chaos-as-telecoms-groups-roll-out-5g/

Here’s a really good link here

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-c-band

Edit: here’s another link

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/19/22891284/verizon-c-band-5g-ultra-wideband-now-available

There are 3 5G frequencies. General reminder: the lower the frequency , the better it passes through buildings and travels longer distances. Higher frequencies have less and less distance they can travel as you go higher , but it’s a lot faster as you go up.

Easy example: dual Wi-Fi routers Wi-Fi with 2.4 (2400mhz) and 5.0 (500mhz). 2.5 gets way farther, but 5.0 is way faster.

5G nationwide: this is on 700mhz , the same as 4G LTE. So it’s either the same or maybe slightly faster, and probably helps with network congestion (5G can handle more individual connections than 4G). But really , not a big difference. That said, this is gonna stay the base 5G, it’s the most consistent reliable connection, which especially for voice calls is a huge deal. Your phone calls will all be over 5G nationwide. Data speeds are 20-100mb ish.

5G Ultra wide: original 5G ultra wide means it’s on Ultra Wide band frequency of 5000-5500mhz. This is the 5G you see reviews on where it’s crazy fast, but it’s so high up it doesn’t punch through buildings and you basically have to be kind of sight of tower. So it’s not usable , Verizon honestly probably only went with it because they were able to get it early on, and a lot of the 2600mh ish spectrum is owned by Sprint, which was honestly the biggest reason T-Mobile bought sprint (after killing a competitor). Speeds here though are 300-1000mb, and usually on the 1,000mhz end.

5G Ultra, aka new 5G Ultra wide, aka C Band: I legit can’t figure out what Verizon is branding it yet. I think they’re just gonna also call it ultra wide, and you just won’t know which one you are using. C Band is on 3600-3800mhz. So like, it won’t travel as far as nationwide , but it theoretically can punch through buildings, obstacles, etc while also being way faster than 700mhz. Hence why carriers are super bullish on wanting it, they don’t have to put a tower on every block like they do with the 5000mhz frequency. Speeds are 100-30mb ish, although since it’s new that’s a general range since Reviews aren’t out yet.

Airplanes apparently use Altimeters (which I believe tell the plane how far away the ground is, which I gather is….important to know) in the 4000-4200ish range. So science wise, what carriers are saying is there is enough of a buffer from the 3600-3800 range to what airlines use at 4000-4200 range that they won’t effectively blind the planes.

Airlines and Airplane manufacturers are crying bloody murder and saying it’ll crash planes. I don’t have enough of a background to tell you what the truth is. Obviously I work on the phone side, so I have a bias, but my gut is honestly that I think the airlines are just trying to avoid maintenance costs to update their airplanes. That’s what I think it is.

I can tell you Verizon is using C Band as the backbone for their home internet push (the capacity is way more capable and speeds way better than nationwide), along with just in general their network push, so yeah, this is a 2-3 year in the making big network revamp for Verizon, whose entire brand is based on the network working well. All their plan upsells involve offering C Band on the higher plans. They spent $60billion on just buying the spectrum, plus whatever the hell the costs are to deploy (yes I’m sure some is subsidized by government , but still). So yeah, come hell or high water , this is the big push Verizon has been focused on, and basically the core of their plan of growing business , which is what all companies , at the end of the day, have as their most important goal.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 19, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Btw, if anyone sees a difference in coverage , please feel free to post a speed test or something. I’m legit curious, and ironically my plan doesn’t come with 5G UW.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I noticed that I get more bars of UW in a spot where I’d fluctuate between LTE/5G UW before

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, if anyone sees a difference in coverage , please feel free to post a speed test or something. I’m legit curious, and ironically my plan doesn’t come with 5G UW.

How do Verizon employees not get free coverage or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Airlines and Airplane manufacturers are crying bloody murder and saying it’ll crash planes. I don’t have enough of a background to tell you what the truth is. Obviously I work on the phone side, so I have a bias, but my gut is honestly that I think the airlines are just trying to avoid maintenance costs to update their airplanes. That’s what I think it is.

I can almost think of it as some kind of unfunded mandate from the federal government, but they've known spectrum reclamation and auction was coming for more than 5 years.