Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

this bad ux cost citi $500 million lol

yeah lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handle
Jan 20, 2011

from the documentation. don't worry, the production version has more colors.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i used labview in college and it was really bad

I used it in high school and it was so bad. It was completely undecipherable you had a large program.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
while i do not have a screenshot, that CMS reminds me of the Oracle Siebel-based ticketing system i worked with while at a subdivision of McAfee

10% of the screen was consumed by pre-populated fields and 80% by fields that were only relevant to other parts of McAfee's business, but completely unused by us

the basic free text case description field where we input everything, because you can't easily describe complex TCP proxy issues in predefined fields, was about 250x100px

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I used it in high school and it was so bad. It was completely undecipherable you had a large program.

The other fun thing is that it's basically impossible to do revision comparisons. I've got pages and pages of exactly this written over the course of the last 10 years that I'm now responsible for.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i understand why visual programming languages exist from the perspective of representing circuits, but not being able to automatically decompose them into pure text function representation seems a ux nightmare for anything moderately complex

trying to read anything other than basic poo poo in reaktor seems nigh impossible

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ladder logic hits a nice sweet spot for visual programming. It can always be decomposed into equivalent text pretty easily. It is more limited in its flexibility compared to labview or simulink, but it's still really useful for programming complex bit logic in a format that's more intuitive to interpret.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
davinci resolve is a good one because it’s very powerful software but somehow doesn’t feel like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
discord has an ok ux except for one glaring thing they’re refuse to fix* but the biggest gripe is that it’s a great tool that is useful for many communities but leans into the gamer aesthetic

I have it set up for a pharmacy group and it’s basically perfect except that I cringe when I imagine health professionals opening up the app for the first time

*apparently if you have it open on your desktop, you can’t force it to send notifications to all devices, so i could be logged in at home and miss an important notification on my phone because home pc got the notifications. apparently this is working as intended. ok but why the gently caress isn’t there an option?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

echinopsis posted:

davinci resolve is a good one because it’s very powerful software but somehow doesn’t feel like it

A lot of video editing software seems like this. Super powerful, but comes with UX that feels like something from Windows XP, which really makes it feel dumbed down.

Plank Walker posted:

more bad ux: pressing the windows key and typing to search has lag before it starts accepting input so if you don't wait a tick before typing, it's gonna miss the first letter and then when you hit enter, instead of opening vs code, it's gonna open a web search for odell beckham jr

I've had similar issues, but kind of the opposite order. The search also has a lag updating the results. So I might be typing "vs c" and I see the "VS Code" search result; however, my brain is still typing when I see the result, so now I'm at "vs co" and hit enter, but at that exact moment the results will update and now I've opened a browser window to search for "vs company" or something.

Medical software UX: I worked at a security company for a summer in college. One of the tasks they gave to me was to help with vulnerability testing with some web app for tracking prescriptions for patients or something like that. It was like pages filled with something but input fields. No UI design. That was what made me realize I never want to take a software job near medical-related software.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the saviour who can fix it all

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this is some serious bs, I subscribe to a streaming service but can't use it as soon as I go abroad? should have just pirated everything

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

pointsofdata posted:

this is some serious bs, I subscribe to a streaming service but can't use it as soon as I go abroad? should have just pirated everything

copyright and DRM are pure, distilled, bad UX.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol
https://twitter.com/SBMost/status/1470159580722200578?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in addition to the obvious lol, it looks like they're combining the tail lamps and brake lamps, which absolutely should be banned. i know it was legal back in the day but so were plate glass windshields and lap belts.

these days it is pretty nerve-wracking to be driving behind an old pickup in the rain, taillights on, the only sign that he's slammed on the brakes being a subtle brightening and the rear end suddenly getting a lot closer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate the new LED headlights that go winky or turn off on the side the blinker's indicating. much like the cars that shut off at red lights, it makes you look trashy and like a poor vehicle maintainer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
personally I hate the trend that all the outside lights are now these thin LED strips with no surface area, instead of nice big rectangles of colour. like yeah dude, make turn signals and brake lights even harder to see.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i hate the new LED headlights that go winky or turn off on the side the blinker's indicating. much like the cars that shut off at red lights, it makes you look trashy and like a poor vehicle maintainer.

that's a legal requirement. or, more accurately, it is one possible way of meeting the FMVSS code, and becomes the only option if you do dumb poo poo with the lighting design.

to prevent turn signals from being washed out by headlamps, you have to install your turn signals at least 4 inches away from the edge of the headlamp. there are no exceptions to this rule and it is a good idea.

when you have a daytime running light, the rule is similar, but more flexible. you can either:

- install the turn signals at least 4 inches away from the DRL, or
- make the turn signal at least 2.5 times brighter than the DRL, or
- turn off the DRL when the turn signal is operating.

in older cars, DRLs were implemented just by running the low beams or fog lamps all the time. since those were already more than 4 inches away from the turn signal, no problem.

now manufacturers have started installing

Chris Knight posted:

these thin LED strips with no surface area, instead of nice big rectangles of colour.

the headlamp part of the unit is still the proper distance away from the turn signals, but the DRLs are the long eyebrow strips that are so common now. this puts them too close to the turn signals. they could make the turn signals extra extra bright -- but that would be expensive! and also actually pretty loving blinding since those LED DRLs are significantly brighter than old incandescent ones. so the only option left is to turn off the DRL on that side while the turn signal is operating.

:wink:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh, and of course there's the dumber implementation too: the DRL itself is also the turn signal, and it just shuts off on one side to blink. those ones really look like they're busted

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Jonny 290 posted:

I actually don't hate these (yet) because the light flicking off is still unusual and grabs my attention really well. Eventually it'll be on some critical % of vehicles and fade into background noise, bit for now it's useful.

I get the same thing with wobbly motorbike headlights, it's obviously terrible UX for the rider but the instant I spot a headlight vibin' I register 'bike' sooner than I otherwise might have.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This is funny after the original designer being pro simplification.

Love that T2/3 doesn't appear at all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I meant more for the rear red driving lights

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chris Knight posted:

personally I hate the trend that all the outside lights are now these thin LED strips with no surface area, instead of nice big rectangles of colour. like yeah dude, make turn signals and brake lights even harder to see.

Well, easy solution for that, just crank up the brightness until they're blindingly bright and it'll balance out!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst tail light thing is on mostly korean cars where theres the main tail light cluster but then the turn signal lights are an afterthought that just get added onto the bumper

like i get that its probably a regulatory thing but god drat its bad

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

also everyone who seems to have the most blinding searing white headlights of all time and don’t give me that poo poo about led refits because this is all on poo poo like new hyundai suvs

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

cars are just full of bad ux

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

also when chrysler changed the shift lever to a rotary dial but put it right on the dash next to the volume knob so if you werent looking you could just shift into reverse at highway speed

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

fords new fold down shift lever too, like its not even connected physically to the actual transmission so instead of replacing that they decide to build in a folding down mechanism.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the new ford mustang suv has a volume knob that is just a capacitive rotary dial epoxied onto the screen and it controls the touch volume control

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

also everyone who seems to have the most blinding searing white headlights of all time and don’t give me that poo poo about led refits because this is all on poo poo like new hyundai suvs

yeah no it's definitely a thing.

new headlights are just objectively brighter
and with LEDs that extra brightness is crammed into a smaller, more intense point
and the bluer light glares more than older yellower headlight just because of optical physics
and the cutoff is engineered to be sharper than in the old days so a car going over bumps behind you looks like a strobe light
and cars are just loving huge with brick wall front ends now so there are more of them out there with truck-height headlights shining directly into your skull

it's the worst

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

the worst tail light thing is on mostly korean cars where theres the main tail light cluster but then the turn signal lights are an afterthought that just get added onto the bumper

like i get that its probably a regulatory thing but god drat its bad

the worst tail light is modern cadillac escalades where the brake lights are thin red strips of LEDs that go from around the height of the wheel wells to the roof

they're insanely loving stupid and barely look like brake lights at all. gently caress you general motors, your poo poo is trash

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

also: basically everything general motors has manufactured. the automatic shifter in my 1990 chevy beretta in high school was about three eights of an inch thick and the channel it traveled back and forth in was "padded" with bristles like you'd find on a cheap shoe brush. the turn signal stock was about as thick as a straw. if they could get away with that poo poo in 2022 they totally would. like wtf GM, put in some loving effort maybe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gm: :smugmrgw: nope

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

rotor posted:

I saw this project a while ago that was bascially a CLI with a gui layered over it in what was basically intellisense for bash or whatever cli thing they were doing and i thought that was really good.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
idk if anyone here is familar with apple's two factor auth system, but if you log into like icloud on an unknown pc, it pops up a map on your phone telling you where the login request was made and you can accept to get a 6 digit code to punch in on the icloud website. the field for the 6 digit code is actually 6 1-character text boxes and the cursor advances after each digit input, goes back with backspace, and accepts upon entry of the last digit. it's all actually pretty nice

well, paypal has ripped it off, except their 6 digit entry field has some kind of delay between when the cursor enters the next box and when it starts accepting input, so if you are good at typing numbers, you have to sit and wait a beat between each digit or it's gonna miss some of them

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Wild EEPROM posted:

also when chrysler changed the shift lever to a rotary dial but put it right on the dash next to the volume knob so if you werent looking you could just shift into reverse at highway speed
Or when they changed the shift lever so that just slamming it forward didn't put the car in park like it does in every other car in the world and it killed Anton Yelchin.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Plank Walker posted:

idk if anyone here is familar with apple's two factor auth system, but if you log into like icloud on an unknown pc, it pops up a map on your phone telling you where the login request was made and you can accept to get a 6 digit code to punch in on the icloud website. the field for the 6 digit code is actually 6 1-character text boxes and the cursor advances after each digit input, goes back with backspace, and accepts upon entry of the last digit. it's all actually pretty nice

well, paypal has ripped it off, except their 6 digit entry field has some kind of delay between when the cursor enters the next box and when it starts accepting input, so if you are good at typing numbers, you have to sit and wait a beat between each digit or it's gonna miss some of them

My mortgage company does this and it completely breaks apple’s awesome “enter code from text messages” feature.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's an old ui cliche that making something faster or more stable is always better

latency on modern web pages is so bad but you need thirty megabytes of javascript to validate input I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

there's an old ui cliche that making something faster or more stable is always better

latency on modern web pages is so bad but you need thirty megabytes of javascript to validate input I guess

but on the other hand it speeds time to market so its impossible to say whether its bad or not