Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's only been three years since the previous megathread for streaming video, but it might has well have been written 1,000 years ago. Since then, about everyone and their subsidiary has created a streaming service, further fractalizing the landscape. It's not going to get less complicated (or expensive) anytime soon, so the time has come for a new OP. I have received blessings from the mods, so without further ado, here are the players!

Netflix
The original one-stop-shop of streaming, Netflix has been losing third-party content steadily these past few years to studio-based providers. Still, Netflix originals are regarded as the highest-quality of their compatriots, if one goes by Emmy nominations.

Prime Video
What Amazon's streaming service offers more than any other is volume. From blockbuster exclusive movies to shovelware, Prime Video runs the gamut of quality. This is not to say that they're slouches - far from it, as their Middle-earth series proves they will spend big money on big projects.

Disney+
At launch, Disney+ shot like a rocket on the backs of Marvel Comics and Star Wars. If you like Marvel Comics and Star Wars, boy howdy are you in luck! Other than that, almost anything the Walt Disney Company owns that isn't for mature audiences will be found here.

HBO Max
WarnerMedia's service, which one can also acquire by subscribing to HBO from their cable or satellite provider, is quietly a deep service, in thanks to the many agreements WarnerMedia has made with other companies to carry programming. UI is going to be revamped soon, to the delight of many.

Peacock
While original programming is sparse as it stands, NBCUniversal is making Peacock a sports destination, with the Olympics, Premier League soccer, and WWE events on the service. There is also a free tier, so if you don't feel like spending any money you can always watch Colombo!

Paramount+
Like Peacock, Paramount+ is becoming a sports destination for their corporation, in this case for soccer. In addition, soon to be the only place to watch Star Trek legally online.

Hulu
What was once the alternative to Netflix has become the place to see the stuff that's too 'adult' for Disney+, including the FX/FXX library.

Apple TV+
The ratio of content to great content is incredibly high, despite the lack of market penetration.

AMC+
I'm putting this in here because AMC+ includes the Shudder library, which all the horror movie buffs here love, alongside content from AMC, IFC, and others.

OTHERS
If you think you've got too many options already, you don't know the half of it. Crunchyroll, Mubi, BritBox, BET+, various premium television networks, and a whole lot more offer movies and TV shows that appeal to someone, somewhere. Also please be aware my guide is U.S.-centric (at least until some of these launch overseas).

FREE STREAMS
There are also free (with commercials) services! Tubi, Pluto TV, Freevee, Xumo, and others offer programming for those of you who value cost over convenience.

Don't know where to watch City Slickers? Go to JustWatch.com and find out.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Recommended Originals

Netflix

American Vandal
Black Mirror
BoJack Horseman
Carmen Sandiego
Cobra Kai
The Crown
Dark
GLOW
I Think You Should Leave
The Last Kingdom
The OA
The Other Side of the Wind
Russian Doll
Saturday Morning All Star Hits!
Sense8
A Series of Unfortunate Events
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
Stranger Things

Prime Video
The Boys
Fleabag
Patriot

Disney+
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Jessica Jones
Loki
The Mandalorian

HBO Max
Beforeigners
Harley Quinn
Jellystone!
The Other Two
Peacemaker
South Side

Peacock
Girls5eva
Saved by the Bell

Hulu
Only Murders in the Building

Apple TV+
Dickinson
For All Mankind
Ted Lasso
The Velvet Underground

AMC+
Kevin Can F*** Himself

<------UNDER CONSTRUCTION----->

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 11, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I highly recommend Criterion Channel and Arrow.

Criterion Channel is a fantastic service at $10.99 a month, and it's probably the service I use the most frequently. It's just so free of the things I don't really care about with other streaming services like there's no algorithms or prestige TV seasons every week. It's just dedicated wholly to film and provided as close to a curated experience one can have with a streaming service. It's got a wide selection of classic films from all over the world, and it feels like there's always something that's new to discover. If you're the kind of person that puts on a movie like once a day, I think this service is pretty essential and an excellent resource if you want to delve deeper into film.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

Personal Highlights: Showa Era Godzilla, Arthouse Animation, Kurosawa, House

Arrow uses the same kind of layout and curation experience that Criterion Channel uses, but their selection tends to be more focused on cult classics than high art films. Not that Criterion Channel films are all stuffy high art movies, but Arrow offers a wide variety of horror, giallo, yakuza, spaghetti westerns, Shaw Brothers. It's a very good complimentary service to Criterion Channel due to the fact that the offerings tend to be not the kind of thing that Criterion Channel would normally put up on ther service. The selection is smaller, but you can free trial for like a month and it's just $5 a month otherwise.

https://www.arrow-player.com/browse

Personal Highlights: Heisei Gamera, Audition, Red Angel, Society, Daimajin

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

in on the ground floor :patriot:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

streaming + binging rulez

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It really is insane how much streaming has evolved since 2019.

Edward Mass posted:

Recommended Originals

[b]HBO Max

Harley Quinn

<------UNDER CONSTRUCTION----->

I’d like to recommend Beforeigners for HBO Max.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Edward Mass posted:

Paramount+
Like Peacock, Paramount+ is becoming a sports destination for their corporation, in this case for soccer. In addition, soon to be the only place to watch Star Trek legally online.

I figured this would happen but it’s still lame. Throwing on a random TNG episode is comforting and I liked that both Netflix and Hulu had it since I (try to) only subscribe to one major platform at a time.

I guess we’re heading to a glorious future where only one network has any given TV show or movie, maybe other than some foreign and independent movies.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Watching OG Utopia on prime again
2022 is too soon still

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Fiance and I have been watching that Awkwafina show on HBO MAX, and we thought it would be annoying but actually it's really funny! The grandma in particular is a highlight of the show and just a hoot.

Been on a MUBI kick lately, grabbed the 3 months/$1 deal that was being offered through last week. Watched Beats (Groove + Superbad + 94 Scotland), Taipei S*icide Story (amazing, heartbreaking) and The Turin Horse (the perfection of cinema) so far. It's been a lot of fun diving back into artsy world cinema and discovering all these films that I would have not come across otherwise.

Also re-watched Red Dawn 2012 for fun, and boy that movie is just so batshit insane.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Over the last few months my partner and I watched the entirety of Baywatch on Hulu. It's a fascinating show. Season 1 is almost a completely different show from what it would become. My favorite episode is probably when three of the lifeguards f off to Mexico to reenact the plot of Three Amigos. Almost all of the characters are terrible people, with the exception of Newmie and Jason Momoa, who was about a billion times more charismatic than everyone else.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just picked up Arrow and to add Daimajin movies one and two are excellent hidden gems but three is such a let down

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Archive 81 isn't perfect but it feels very close to being great so far (5 episodes in). It does so much right that the clunkier moments feel a little more glaring but I still really like it.

I just hope this season is a one and done thing and it's not some sort of cliffhanger. I'm not familiar with the podcast and haven't really read anything on the show so I have no idea tbh.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
It's hard to talk about it without sounding like a pretentious rear end, but the Criterion Channel really is great. I agree with the observation that its lack of algorithm-based recommendations is very welcome. Just in the last few months, the old Robert Mitchum flicks that I've seen (Cape Fear, Night of the Hunter, Out of the Past) have been worth the cost. I will say that they do the Disney Vault poo poo where they constantly cycle content in and out of availability, which is annoying

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Comedy recommendations:
HBO Max:
Jellystone!, Peacemaker. The first is child friendly cartoon comedy with plenty of jokes for adults, the latter is a bloody comedy that showcases John Cena as a tremendous funnyman. And it has the best intro sequence in decades.

D+:
Ducktales, Ghost & Molly McGee. DuckTales is a traumatic saga of family, belonging and stupidity, and is a love letter to the Disney animated cartoons of the 80s and 90s, while improving on them in every way.

Ghost is a beautifully animated slight comedy with some really great thai and jewish representation. Plus every episode has a song, so you’re getting one every 11 minutes. Pilot is on YouTube.

Netflix:
Smash, a.k.a. Saturday morning All-Star hits. A morning show from the 90s with original cartoons that become something weirder and darker almost immediately. But not like negative dark where the joke is that it’s edgy.
How do you say Bobby’s world parody I never knew I needed, and the following exchange which me and my friend can’t stop cording:
ACTOR (looking at hideously bored focus group): So…
EXEC: kids don’t like you.
ACTOR: and is there a… Way to fix that?
EXEC: No.

Carmen Sandiego reboot: visually interesting, good to watch while babysitting, slow paced in terms of character development. Zack and Ivy are from Boston, inexplicably.

Peacock:
5Gether: if you like 30 rock, great news!, and Kimmy Schmidt, this is another of those shows. But if you seen all of those this isn’t doing very much new, give it a few episodes if you were really into the Spice Girls.

Saved by the bell reboot: Best show of the year every year. savages itself with deft awareness, while giving you a bunch of new characters to deal with. A bunch of kids from a South Central high school all go to Bayside, which provides contrast to the weird world where it’s still very much the 90s. (“While you’re taking a break from teenline, feel free to Chillax with the refreshing taste of Crystal Pepsi?”). Also has maybe the best line of dialogue I’ve ever heard, which is “If your dreams don’t scare you a little bit, are they even big enough? Sorry if that doesn’t help, I stole it from a pop-up that I saw for a dildo.”

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 20, 2022

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I would recommend adding I Think You Should Leave to the Netflix list, Kevin Can F Himself to Amazon Prime and Only Murders in the Building to Disney+.

I had an extended period of working from home to part-time employment to unemployment to Covid just before Christmas and binged the entirety of La Casa De Papel (Money Heist) on Netflix over the course of just over a month. It's probably better that you go in knowing as little as possible but what I would say is that it's deliciously stylistic and addictive, has characters that you'll actually end up caring a great deal for played by uniformly excellent actors and a frenzied pace. It combines everything I adored about Jane the Virgin and the early seasons of Arrow, a billion crazy twists per episode.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 20, 2022

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Please put the live action Cowboy Bebop in the Netflix list, at the top of the list if you don't mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add a section for straight to streaming movies instead of just listing TV in the OP considering this is a CD thread. Netflix alone is a treasure trove of great stuff, crap you would have been mad to pay for in theaters but enjoyed for free, and actual crap movies that are exclusive to Netflix.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Adrianics posted:

I would recommend adding I Think You Should Leave to the Netflix list, Kevin Can F Himself to Amazon Prime and Only Murders in the Building to Disney+.

I had an extended period of working from home to part-time employment to unemployment to Covid just before Christmas and binged the entirety of La Casa De Papel (Money Heist) on Netflix over the course of just over a month. It's probably better that you go in knowing as little as possible but what I would say is that it's deliciously stylistic and addictive, has characters that you'll actually end up caring a great deal for played by uniformly excellent actors and a frenzied pace. It combines everything I adored about Jane the Virgin and the early seasons of Arrow, a billion crazy twists per episode.

I Think You Should Leave is amazing. Every time I watch it, I have a new favorite sketch. Right now, I think it's the burger one from S2, or maybe the Drivers Ed video. "DON'T ASK ABOUT THE TABLES"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

thatfuturekid posted:

I Think You Should Leave is amazing. Every time I watch it, I have a new favorite sketch. Right now, I think it's the burger one from S2, or maybe the Drivers Ed video. "DON'T ASK ABOUT THE TABLES"

Joke spoiler, I guess. The Driver's Ed one is such a great bit to put toward the end of the season. In a show where the running gag is people acting in bizarre ways, it's so funny to have a sketch where the punchline is that everything suddenly makes sense.

Oh, and since its in the first post, was the Hawkeye show decent? I just assumed it was trash from the trailers and never poked around about it.

Also sucks to hear that about Star Trek. It was obvious that it'd happen eventually, but it still stings to see the balkanization that everyone feared when the streaming services started.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 20, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Finished Station Eleven last night, after seeing it mentioned in the previous iteration of this thread.

Absolutely beautiful, profoundly moving. I loved it.

In a lesser series, stuff like Jeevan surviving and meeting Kirsten again, or Dylan reconciling with his mum and Clark would've come off as trite, but I really thought it earned that resolution. Unlike a lot of post-apoc media, it actually has the courage to depict growth, healing and catharsis. It respects its characters enough not to just relentlessly abuse them.

I was really leery about starting the series when I learned what the premise was - because I thought what I wanted and needed right now was escapism from, y'know, global respiratory disease pandemics - but I was totally wrong about what I wanted and needed.

Station Eleven's message is pretty stark, but highly apropos for 20micron22. We will never have it the same way again. The pre-pandemic world is never coming back. But that doesn't mean we can't learn to better empathise with others, to overcome trauma, and - both in spite of and because of extraordinary adversity - even rise to become our better selves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Righteous Gemstones on HBO

it's Eastbound and Down but about southern megachurch people... with john goodman... it is good as hell

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Recommending South Side and the Other Two on HBO Max. Both came from Comedy Central, and are in their second seasons.

South Side is a workplace/slice of life comedy set (and largely shot, I believe) in the South Side of Chicago. It's Always Sunny or Workaholics are good comparisons for the format, but with more black characters and less sociopathy. This one has become a bit of a critical darling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADn6qWVHZYU

The Other Two is about a brother and sister in New York who are a little too old to justify their quarter life crises, and what happens when the younger brother they left behind suddenly becomes a YouTube heartthrob. A lot of rapid fire, 30 Rock-style jokes about their relationships and the industry, but also a lot of sweet stuff about a loving family. Molly Shannon is fantastic in both seasons as the mom.

First episode exposition dump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__faewZyH8

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 20, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

It's hard to talk about it without sounding like a pretentious rear end, but the Criterion Channel really is great. I agree with the observation that its lack of algorithm-based recommendations is very welcome. Just in the last few months, the old Robert Mitchum flicks that I've seen (Cape Fear, Night of the Hunter, Out of the Past) have been worth the cost. I will say that they do the Disney Vault poo poo where they constantly cycle content in and out of availability, which is annoying

Unlike the Disney Vault it feels less like them being jerks and more that it's a budgetary constraint, at least when it comes to stuff they don't distribute themselves (which is usually the bulk of what gets cycled in and out).

It's definitely the best streaming service out there though, their curation is top notch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A few other free services to check out:

ShoutfactoryTV: Free stuff from Shoutfactory of course. They have a smaller selection than other services but they do have a big selection of Mystery Science Theater 3000 as well as RIfftrax, The Film Crew, and Cinematic Titanic.

Kanopy: Free, but you do have to be a student/staff/faculty at a participating school, or member of a participating library. It has a variety of movies, documentaries, and some tv programming. Notably they have a large collection of movies from A24 and Criterion.

The Roku Channel: Free, and they do have some random movies and tv shows that are ONLY streaming here.

Comet: An OTA digital sub channel that also has a free live web stream. More channels should do this. Their programming is sci-fi/horror

Charge: Sister channel to Comet but their shows are all action oriented.

ESPN+ : This is not going to get you feeds of ESPN, ESPN2, etc. It's a whole other set of sports poo poo. You'll need to go to their site and see if they have what you want. Depending on the college teams you follow, this service might be the only way to watch those games. Also, if you like NHL or MLB, this could be a cheap way to watch a lot of your team's games.

A few other notes for some of the services mentioned in the OP:

Shudder: I highly recommend subscribing to this directly from Shudder.com. If you sub through AMC+, Amazon, Apple, etc, you do not get access to the Shudder live feed which means you could miss out on content or it can be a long wait before it shows up in the on demand section.

Paramount+ : The premium tier gives you a live stream of your local CBS affiliate. Depending on the shows you like to watch, this could be a good deal. Also, depending on where you live and what football teams you follow, this could give you a cheap way to catch most of your favorite team's games. More streaming services need to offer something like this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can anyone explain the state of Hulu vs Peacock? Seems like there is currently a lot of overlap, but is all NBC content moving to Peacock eventually?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

Can anyone explain the state of Hulu vs Peacock? Seems like there is currently a lot of overlap, but is all NBC content moving to Peacock eventually?

You're correct. Hulu was originally a joint venture between the big 4 networks. It's now wholly owned by Disney but there's still content agreements in place. These agreements are all starting to expire so stuff is disappearing. The Paramount/Viacom stuff is all disappearing now. Not sure when the NBCU stuff will start going away but you can count on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're correct. Hulu was originally a joint venture between the big 4 networks. It's now wholly owned by Disney but there's still content agreements in place. These agreements are all starting to expire so stuff is disappearing. The Paramount/Viacom stuff is all disappearing now. Not sure when the NBCU stuff will start going away but you can count on it.
Are they just going to shut it down at some point?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mystes posted:

Are they just going to shut it down at some point?

Hulu? Nah. Hulu is used for their other stuff they don't want to put on Disney+. You've got the FX/FXX content, the whole live TV thing, sports, and other Disney/Fox stuff.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/JimGaffigan/status/1483219585658667013

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has Fox or ABC announced their own streaming platforms they're going to leave Hulu for similar to NBC? Is Hulu's time to live limited?\

e: Well, answered above. Guess it's sort of safe in having FX/FXX and Fox for now, but it definitely gets harder to justify a subscription with the loss of other networks content.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Master_Odin posted:

Has Fox or ABC announced their own streaming platforms they're going to leave Hulu for similar to NBC? Is Hulu's time to live limited?

Fox and ABC are owned by Disney. I would think Disney would continue putting stuff on Hulu that they don't think are a right fit for Disney+. Dear Victor was originally developed for Disney+, but they thought it was too risque, so they moved it to Hulu. I want to say it was the same also for the High Fidelity remake starring Zoe Kravitz?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

He should make that joke 10 years ago when it would have been clever

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

He should make that joke 10 years ago when it would have been clever

I mean his jokes haven't evolved in 10 years. I haven't bothered to watch his last standup special on Netflix.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm still watching the Ozarks and deep into S2 it still seems like the cartel would have just killed every character and burned their homes to the ground rather than be bothered letting this continue

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Shudder streaming service is great!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm still watching the Ozarks and deep into S2 it still seems like the cartel would have just killed every character and burned their homes to the ground rather than be bothered letting this continue

I think the issue is that Michael Bluth still owes them a ton of money to be laundered, and he's still the best at his job, so that's why he's still alive?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Wolfsheim posted:

I keep trying to get into Ozark and am midway through S2, my main beef is that there's no reason whatsoever for every episode to be a full hour long and that the notional lead is by some distance the least interesting character. It would be a decent bingeable show at a brisk 40 minutes apiece, rather than cramming in that goddamned old man that refuses to die as if I'm supposed to give a poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
shudder is the only streaming app that feels like it was designed by people who know what they are doing, and were paid

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

precision posted:

shudder is the only streaming app that feels like it was designed by people who know what they are doing, and were paid

It started out rough, but it's pretty good these days. My only complaint is that some movies come and go pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Adrianics posted:

I keep trying to get into Ozark and am midway through S2, my main beef is that there's no reason whatsoever for every episode to be a full hour long and that the notional lead is by some distance the least interesting character. It would be a decent bingeable show at a brisk 40 minutes apiece, rather than cramming in that goddamned old man that refuses to die as if I'm supposed to give a poo poo.

I'm pretty sure that the old man dies pretty soon, and don't they send the daughter away? And Laura Linney's crazy brother is killed off at some point. So that drops a couple of the more tedious storylines.