Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Facebook has literally done genocides in the past decade.

Can anyone suggest a solid but cheap facial interface thing? I have the good kiwi strap but it pushes my face into the lovely stock facething SO hard it is painful. Otherwise, great strap. Is there one that's real squishy?

Is the kiwi face pad out of your budget? I think it pairs well with the kiwi strap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Christ, does that really happen? I assumed if you didn't use the account for actual... Facebook stuff and so didn't get noticed or reported it wouldn't be a real issue. That's poo poo.

It seems to not happen for a lot of people, but when it does happen it's a loving nightmare to do anything besides just abandon it all.

Went through the whole thing because my fiancée wanted a FB account. Not for VR just for having an FB account. The problem is, she is a Chinese person with Chinese ID and all that. Having a Chinese name seems to be one of the triggers for where they'll just temp ban your account, but you put your Chinese name in not Chinese and you've triggered the fake name filter and have no ID that doesn't just show your name in Chinese characters, so, pain in the rear end with that. Then you finally get your account up until one day a month later, bam you're banned again for "review."

Her account seems to be stable now but it took a long time to get FB convinced she was real. She just wants to send pictures of our cat to my grandma.

"Having a Chinese name and only Chinese ID" is probably not a situation common here, but you don't know what other things they use to flag your account as suspicious, none of us know. No one can tell anyone if their burner account just to use the Quest is gonna be ok or not with any certainty.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Grashnak posted:

One thing that's super common with quests on beat saber is to swing down with heaps of arm and get the controller out of view of the tracking cameras on the headset. This tends to mean that it freezes your controller position higher than it actually is and gives you bad upswings.

There's not really any super good way around it other than just learning to work with the limitations. That mostly consists of trying to keep your hands in front of you (i.e. don't swing down past your legs if you can help it) and maybe loking slightly downwards for when you swing bottom row up notes to give the cameras a better view. It's one of those things that you just learn how to play around and after another hundred hours or so you'll barely notice it.

It sounds super dismissive but honestly the best way to improve at something like this is just to play more. I've got way better than I ever thought possible just by sinking several hundred hours into the game.

This and the previous beat saber talk earlier made me get new high scores and put me on top of my friends charts. I didn't know the scoring was based on swing angle to get you to fully commit to hitting a block instead of tapping them but it makes sense in hindsight. I also finally started campaign mode and it tells you how the scoring works there too.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I didn't buy a Quest 2 for like a year because of the facebook acct poo poo. But now I did and it's awesome. Also I had to have a facebook account for work anyway because you can't administer a facebook page without a facebook account, which is also horseshit.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I am a grown frigging man with a wife, house, two kids, and an IT job.

Tonight, I spastically teleported after five man-sized, limbless, fully armed hotdogs in H3VR, waving my hand around like a madman, trying to stab them all with an imaginary knife. And drat it it didn't feel both hilarious and satisfying.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Kill All Cops posted:

Is the kiwi face pad out of your budget? I think it pairs well with the kiwi strap

I think that is reasonable. They have 3 different ones from $46-$68. I guess, more $, more better. The middle one isn't too too much and I don't think I need the "fitness" facial interface. I'll check em out tho I do need some new lenses, and a lens cover, and... 🌚

edit: oh heck it is half the price on the Amazon, for the fitness one.

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 20, 2022

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Some of the reviews say it doesn't play nice with glasses (spacer won't fit) and there isn't enough space to get prescription lenses in comfortably. I suppose the Quest continues...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnpN7IIxtc

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i'm going to be trying out a Vive Focus 3 and wanted to know if anyone has experience with this particular headset as a stand-alone platform. the internet doesn't say much about it due to the 1300$ pricetag and it not being that massively better than the quest 2.

also :filez: but is there any way to use quest 2 software on it?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

This looks incredible. Except for the part that it's a flat and VR game at the same time??

Unless... Switch and Series consoles are getting VR headsets

NINTENDO VR CONFIRMED

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Some of the reviews say it doesn't play nice with glasses (spacer won't fit) and there isn't enough space to get prescription lenses in comfortably. I suppose the Quest continues...

I just got the VRCover fitness facial interface for the Quest 2 and it's great. 35€ or so, snaps right in on the original glasses spacer, is ventilated (remains to see if the ventilation does really work, haven't really tested it, but I guess having holes is better than not having them?), has 2 different padded cushions (slim and comfort) included, it fits my glasses better than the original facial interface, and the PU leather is soft and less wonky-feeling than silicone while still being easy to wipe clean. All in all, I'd recommend it to everyone even if they find the original facial interface "decent enough"!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Had to laugh. Started playing Arizona sunshine on the quest and it has you calibrate by putting your hands where you waist is so you can holster correctly. I was sitting down, and now I'm like loving ben shapiro running around blasting zombies that I barely come up to the waist on. Car door handles are eye level.

I honestly don't know if I want to recalibrate out not, cause this is hilarious.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Resident Evil update:

RE2: played to completion, amazing time had, being able to look around at all the poo poo you aren't supposed to see in cutscenes is hilarious, thoroughly recommended.

RE3: Bring your strongest sea legs, as the cutscenes rock the camera around like crazy, and the start of the game is seriously jank as the kinematics on Jill's hands aren't activated in the opening scene and there's a couple of forced third person sections when Nemesis chases you. Seems have calmed down now I've met Carlos though, so I'll see how well it holds up from here.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Depends on the glasses, but I bought the fitness one and while the spacer doesn't fit it, it's still easier to put glasses in compared with the default oculus face cover + spacer. To the point that I can wear my glasses and wear the headset without having to take glasses off.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hitman is out today!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
well gently caress me. guess we'll see what my 7700k + 1080 still got left in the tank.

PC VR Minimum Specs

CPU: Intel 6-core i7-8700 / AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super / AMD 5700XT

When using the minimum specs for VR, we expect HITMAN 3 to run consistently at 90FPS with settings set to 'low' or 'off' on lower-end headsets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A 1080 should be able to outpace those GPU’s in non-ray tracing workloads

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, the old logic was always 2060 = 1070 = 980 in terms of raw pawer, though I don't know how well that has held up with recent generations of GPU.

The CPU specs seem tougher to me, and changing graphics options probably won't help with that part; it doesn't really surprise me that a game built for 60 struggles to get its CPU times down enough to consistently hit 90. But try it and see, I guess!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the 7700k is about comparable to the non k 8series they listed.

Ill report back after i try it over lunch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

With Quest 2 there's at least the option to drop to 80 or 72hz to alleviate a CPU bottleneck.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SCheeseman posted:

With Quest 2 there's at least the option to drop to 80 or 72hz to alleviate a CPU bottleneck.

by the way I meant to ask earlier but forgot - my Quest 2 is currently set on the default 72hz, should I try to use it at higher refresh like 90hz? Would it cause problems over Airlink on a 5Ghz network? My specs are Ryzen 5800X + 1080 + 16gb ram, and currently I'm only playing Skyrim VR and stuff that doesn't require much power like walkabout minigolf, cubism, and so on

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You could set it to full res and refresh rate and AirLink would handle it fine, although at those specs I'd try it at 90hz and 1.5x res in the Oculus app, maybe then bump it up to 120hz if it seems to be running well. Definitely don't leave it at 72hz, you'll notice the difference even at 90hz.

SteamVR also has a handy graph you can activate in the dev tools section of Settings that shows your latency and how far off you are from hitting an optional frame rate.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

well gently caress me. guess we'll see what my 7700k + 1080 still got left in the tank.

PC VR Minimum Specs

When using the minimum specs for VR, we expect HITMAN 3 to run consistently at 90FPS with settings set to 'low' or 'off' on lower-end headsets.

What's a lower-end headset? Rift 1 / Vive ?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m unbelievably disappointed in the guns in hitman 3.

When you bring the sniper rifle scope close to your eye it cuts to a floating 2d screen in front of you. This is a solved problem and has been for years. I don’t understand how something so simple could get so botched. The terrible scope interface in fallout 4 vr is better than this.

Rifle handling is also just completely wrong. You can swing your left arm around all you want while holding the rifle but it won’t move, only the right hand moves it.

You reload with a button. No other method of reloading.

The fun in hitman is the non-gun kills anyway but holy crap of all the things you could get wrong in a VR game with motion controls I didn’t expect guns to be what was completely messed up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't think I've ever shot a rifle in Hitman

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah apart from initially getting the game and mowing down a night club; I don’t think I used more than the silverballers

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Hitman: How do you actually launch a hybrid VR title from within the Epic Games launcher? It doesn't seem to offer any option to launch into VR or have something like SteamVR.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of Hitman: How do you actually launch a hybrid VR title from within the Epic Games launcher? It doesn't seem to offer any option to launch into VR or have something like SteamVR.

When I launched Hitman now it says "VR Detected, do you want to start in VR mode?"

So I'm probably just going to open Virtual Desktop on my quest and launch the game through EGS choosing VR mode and Steam VR should take care of the rest.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Walrus posted:

PC VR Minimum Specs

Well cool, I'm literally right at the minimum.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

When I launched Hitman now it says "VR Detected, do you want to start in VR mode?"

So I'm probably just going to open Virtual Desktop on my quest and launch the game through EGS choosing VR mode and Steam VR should take care of the rest.

Ah, thanks! I'll try launching SteamVR and starting it through the virtual desktop as well, then.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I’m unbelievably disappointed in the guns in hitman 3.

When you bring the sniper rifle scope close to your eye it cuts to a floating 2d screen in front of you. This is a solved problem and has been for years. I don’t understand how something so simple could get so botched. The terrible scope interface in fallout 4 vr is better than this.

Rifle handling is also just completely wrong. You can swing your left arm around all you want while holding the rifle but it won’t move, only the right hand moves it.

You reload with a button. No other method of reloading.

The fun in hitman is the non-gun kills anyway but holy crap of all the things you could get wrong in a VR game with motion controls I didn’t expect guns to be what was completely messed up.

So... how's performance?

explosivo posted:

I don't think I've ever shot a rifle in Hitman

There are challenges to kill the targets with sniper rifle, which are fun to do, because as any other challenges, it isn't straightforward, you have to provoke the targets to move in some way or whatever.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 20, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This is kinda disappointing news but I want to hear more impressions

e: okay so it's on games pass, just gonna play it :shrug:

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 20, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Some of those reviews are for the old model that's not longer available. The revised one shares the same listing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

well f*ck me dude (this is regarding Hitman 3 VR)

edit: the fanmod community figured it out in an hour, of course https://www.nexusmods.com/hitman3/mods/254/

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 20, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Reverb is really getting the shaft in a lot of places. Glad I picked up a Q2.

WMR doesn't seem to play nice with most things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They aren't using SteamVR for the non-Oculus headsets? I thought the implemention was more agnostic, if you implemented SteamVr in your game, and an user uses a headset accepted by SteamVr (whatever), it would work.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

It does in my experience, the person using my old HP WMR headset from a while ago plays semi-frequently and I don't hear many complaints beyond having to find a different binding in steamvr

doesn't change that IO just straight up didn't put any effort in when it seems pretty simple.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Why pay someone to do something when the community will do it for free?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Im playing hitman on a reverb g2 through steam vr just like any other game and it’s running okay. Performance is pretty bad in large crowds. Lots of hitching. I had to download a steam vr controller binding to make the menu button work.

Most of the interactions you do are pressing buttons like picking up objects, climbing ladders, vaulting over walls, opening and closing doors, and reloading your gun. You can’t pick up most environmental objects. It’s a real disappointment.

Things like strangling guys or otherwise incapacitating them uses the motion controls.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/20/22892152/google-project-iris-ar-headset-2024