Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
WARNO - Warning Order - lets you command your customized battlegroup and lead hundreds of Cold War-era units to victory on dynamic, tactical battlefields. Choose between the arsenals of NATO or the Warsaw Pact, and fight across a multitude of solo and online modes against challenging AI or human opponents in massive 10v10 battles. Show your mettle as a strategic commander in the turn-based Army General campaigns depicting a devastating, techno-thrilling World War III in Western Europe.

Where do goons play this game? Probably here: https://discord.gg/HNPsCbcJJq
The Wargame&Steel Division Discord.

Steel Division Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816495

WARNO: The Totally Not Wargame 4.

This is made by Eugen, and works pretty much the same way as Wargame and Steel Division. The frontline system has been dropped from SD, and we're back to the zones of control and command units.
However, free deck building from WG has been also dropped, and now it is divisions like in SD. It's a mix of both and while in Early Access, I doubt the devs are yet perfectly aware of what the end product is going to be like.

So that means this game stands at a weird middle ground. It definitely breaks away from some of the conventions of Wargame, such as scope creep. In the tradition of Steel Division, this game is supposed to focus on a single year, and use divisions to offer the deck building. It won't pit 70's formations against experimental weapons in the nineties, for example. However, in this Early Access, the US side is slightly overpowered compared to their counterparts, but much can be forgiven in such an underbaked product.

Eugen has dragged many games to the finish line through long early access and post-release patching. So in my opinion there's no reason for alarm right now. Steel Division 2 is in a very good spot, and it tooks years to get there.

Let Eugen itself summarize why Early Access:

quote:

Why Early Access?
“At Eugen Systems, we love making strategy games, especially if they are as complex, multilayered, and realistic as our titles. WARNO - short for Warning Order - will be much the same. We learned along the way that inviting players and the community to support us, and doing betas often, helps tremendously in fine-tuning and polishing our games to a level that we want them to be.

We have been doing betas of our titles back to R.U.S.E. and Wargame: European Escalation (the one that started it all) over 10 years ago. As an independent studio, we aim to be completely self-sufficient. Steam Early Access allows us to do this in a way we could never imagine before. But we know we can’t do it alone, and that’s why we need our dedicated community and player base to give us a hand.

As a small game development team, with years of experience making in-depth strategy games, we know that time and resources can help make a good game perfect. We want to kick off with Early Access - to give our community and players, veterans and new ones alike, a running start with WARNO. We create our new game with and for our players. With their guidance, frequent interaction, and hopefully honest feedback, we will be able to make the best next-gen World War III battle simulator.

Early Access does not mean buggy or unfished. Our goal is to offer a game that is stable and fun to play from the get-go. We aim to have the same recommended specs needed as for Steel Division 2, our previous World War II RTS. Rather, our vision is to roll out different major features and segments, each playable from start to finish, during our Early Access program. We want to grow WARNO together with our community so that over time it becomes the best version of itself… much like a fine bottle of red wine (we are French after all).”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Please be aware that after WARNO’s Early Access launch, we aim to work continuously on the game until the foreseeable future - and beyond. However, game development can be a tricky beast, so timelines and schedules are difficult to predict.

Regardless, we want to have the basic scope of WARNO completed within 6 months. If the players are satisfied, we will want to release WARNO in full after 6-8 months. This doesn’t mean the development stops, far from it.

Our Steel Division 2 community (hey guys!) knows that we have been launching expansions and DLCs, with three more on the way, since the launch of our World War II real-time strategy game in June 2019. We released everything from new divisions, tons of units, new strategic campaigns, maps, and much more. We are now at number 13 of our free DLCs!

We’ve also supported Wargame: Red Dragon (welcome!) with a variety of expansions and Nation Packs, delivering new units from all over the world, including the most recent Nation Pack: South Africa.

WARNO’s future after Early Access promises to be equally rich and fulfilling. Much like our other titles, we aim to deliver new free content, updates, expansions, and DLCs for many years after release.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“Phew, where to start? Launching WARNO, at the very beginning, you will have a good, solid fun time with our Skirmish mode and two nations and their arsenal filled with Cold War-era late 80s appropriate units. Later down the line, we intend to include all the modes and features that make our games great (and maybe add some new ones), including more maps, more nations, many more units, strategic campaigns, more game modes, etc.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“As we mentioned before, the start of the Early Access version will give you a full game experience, which we hope to expand and enhance step by step in the months to come.

You will be able to play with two nations, the U.S. armed forces (NATO) and the Soviet Army (Warsaw Pact). We feature the multiplayer mode of 1v1 to 10v10. You will also have access to Skirmish mode, playable solo (against the computer), cooperative, or online.

And that's only the start. Expect the Early Access period to be filled with new Army General campaigns, scripted Operations, more units, more nations, more maps, etc.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“No, there is no intention to change the pricing of WARNO after the Early Access launch. After the full launch of WARNO, out of Early Access, we will continue to develop and release plenty of free content. Expect some major paid-for expansions and DLCs along the way as well!”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We wouldn’t be here without our community and players, and as they know, we actively listen to them every step of the way when it comes to the development of our games. We have a dedicated Strike Team of superusers who help us fine-tune, test, and provide feedback, and we check and read all the commentary on our WARNO forums, dedicated Discord, as well as Twitter and other social media channels. There is more: we likely will ask for more detailed comments in questionnaires or have the players vote on which feature or element needs to be included next.

We know what we are doing, but we know much better which way to go with the help of our players. We expect them to be very active and support us with making WARNO a great game!”

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

WARNO? I say WARYES

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nice fuckin' model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Beetlejuice, seeing the T72's 200+mm rifled gun

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

ninjahedgehog posted:

WARNO? I say WARYES
Seconded.

EDIT: Downloading now. I'm looking forward to ending the world with you fine folks.

Dave47 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 20, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I hope they call their patch notes FRAGOs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Early impressions . . . Positive so far but ITS In ALPHA so understand that content is limited and bugs are plenty currently, its early access

Game is very pretty! Big explosions, missile trails. Burning tanks left in the wake of battle. This is world war 3!

UI blows kinda. Hate the icons, hope they go back to either SD2 or WGRD icons as options.
, right now the ui is too "noisy". Currently theres some bugs because its in EA and balance is wonky. For example, units move a bit too fast (30% faster than in WG) partly because of some new mechanics regarding stress level.

The division system is ok. Availability has been lowered across the board so deck building is still interesting because its a difficult choice to upvet or not. No super units either. The game feels more authentic because you no longer have a weird mix of old and new, it feels like its 1989 for sure. I like it so far. I foresee divisions with "lesser" tanks being very competitive given the current pricing stratrgy

CVs being leaders is good, feels authentic to deploy "platoon leaders" for my tanks and infantry. I also like forward deployable recon, and have a brief skirmish before the real battles begin.

Planes take time to arrive on field. No more instapanic CAS. You must plan air strikes and CAP at least a little. I like.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Hoping the refocusing will change up the meta from red dragon and make more unit types viable. It was really cool how many units were in RD but the meta meant only 30-40% of them were ever seriously used outside of gimmick strategies like T-34-85M spam.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Hoping the refocusing will change up the meta from red dragon and make more unit types viable. It was really cool how many units were in RD but the meta meant only 30-40% of them were ever seriously used outside of gimmick strategies like T-34-85M spam.

This is where Steel Division 2 really nailed it. The narrow focus eliminated a lot of units and cool types of weapons, but it really allowed a proper balance efforts. Focusing into a narrow time frame is a great boon for the game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I didn't realize they were releasing this in EA... tempting

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I miss playing with wargame goons back in the EE and ALB days, getting this.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't know about that. They are marketing to have over 600 different units. I think it's quite possible unit roster will be as messy as before, it's just that we are only seeing 2 class A divisions right now. Some reserve West German division may still feature 3 different types of M48 and Leopard 1 A1 to 5.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm excited. Love Airland Battle, Red Dragon was aight, skipped the Steel Divisions but I heard the second one was decent

I hope the soundtrack is all terrible 80s synth like the trailer

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

I hope the soundtrack is all terrible 80s synth like the trailer

It is. The trailer song is one of the game battle themes too

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Perfection.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Hmm on the one hand I have employees and a second kid on the way…

On the second hand, ALB was one of my best gaming experiences ever.

How’s the AI?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Koesj posted:

Hmm on the one hand I have employees and a second kid on the way…

On the second hand, ALB was one of my best gaming experiences ever.

How’s the AI?

Seemed OK, seems less spammy/frustrating than RD. But I would wait until army general mode comes out and theres more feedback on ai.

Speaking of which, Warno will have greatly superior singleplayer to any of the wargames series. It will be using the Army General system like in steel division 2 (basically a strategic wargame layer where you then play the tactical battles) with up to 5 players able to play campaign in coop or versus.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Played about an hour, and coming from being a basically 100% SD2 player I don't really like the capture zone mechanic? Like it feels awkward that you have to have a guy sitting in a square 100% of the time to get an income boost.

That along with the fast units bug, ranges that feel way shorter than SD2, and low unit count makes it seem way more constrained and gamey. Like they could add in base building and it wouldn't feel totally out of place.

The cities are also kindof weird, like huge sections are just considered one building, and vehicles just kinda phase through everything.

Can't really tell how much is just early access troubles that'll get ironed out vs core gameplay elements that will persist.

Of course I don't really care about cold war stuff that much and am a big ww2 dork so I'm probably just not the target market.

Will play another 45 minutes and then probably refund and maybe buy it when it's on final release in like a year or so.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Had a lot of good games with goons tonight. It was awesome getting some of the old wargang back together!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat, same old EA dilemma where I want to be part of the initial excitement and fun but if it's buggy and barebones I also want to wait.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Update from Eugen on whats coming in the next builds:

Next build should correct these
- Fix smart order when using ‘seize order’ on transports.
- Fix concerning the impossibility to change nickname.
- Fix crash when disconnecting during a lobby join.
- Fix when selecting decks in the armory after opening the battlegroup list in the lobby.
- Starting money corrected from 750 to 1500 in ranked games.
- Various fixes on German and Chinese localization.
- Fix a crash that was happening when the target was resupplying and entering a transport.
- Flare panel deactivation during replay.
- Fix a bug of command zone loss of control when CV dies.
- Fix crash when changing key binding in the options menu.

Next week build
- Mig 23 P renamed to MiG 23 MLA -> equiped with R60M missile instead of R60 & R24R instead of R37R
- improvement of the power of the flak: better precision and increase of the tunguska rate
- added a 10 second arrival time for ground vehicles and helicopters only
- correction of ACAV turrets
- increased availability of motostrelki BTR in 79th
- corrected the UAZ transport model and its icon
- corrected su 25 nose gun
- reduced the time to get conquest points => 2s instead of 1s
- check speed of all units, especially the T 80 tanks
- correction of A-10 nose cannon
- increase of the range of anti-aircraft ground weapons units against aircraft
- infantry speed redutction
- reduction of maximum cohesion bonus 25%-> 10%
- update of the user guide
- AP gain fixed from 350m -> 175m
- correction of the victory levels
- F15 Aim9M missiles fix

In design / progress (not related to content)
- Legacy labels from WEE/WRD
- Options for hidding/displaying elements on smart cursor
- Option for WRD music playlist
- design and improvement of the deck building menu
- add deck overview
- adding aiming percentage in the unit selection panel
- adding amphibious units
- ... more to come

Bugs we are fixing
- ROE short movement doesn't work
- ammont of supply bug in unit selection panel
- ... more to come

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AA buffs are def good in particular

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah it wont feel like a Eugen game if you dont have OP US air going against OP soviet AA

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I played a fair amount of WG:EE single player, bounced off of RD because there was just. so. much., and never even bothered trying out Steel Division 1 or 2. Picked up WARNO hoping for something I could get into.

I'm having a really good time with it. After you've played a couple skirmish matches it's clear that it's pretty barebones, but it feels weirdly good to be in on the ground floor of a game like this. The smaller scale versus RD feels good. I don't feel really overwhelmed with anything beside the movement speed of units (which is apparently being addressed in an upcoming patch?) and the game is just kind of clicking really well for me?

tl;dr non-Wargame vet thinks this game is gonna be good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Goddamn it I'm torn. I'm definitely going to pick it up at some point but I am so over EA stuff at this point.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Goddamn it I'm torn. I'm definitely going to pick it up at some point but I am so over EA stuff at this point.

But games in a niche like this work better with EA imho, because it's sort of a massage process where the fanbase screams during alterations, and it gets better.

I really don't want Eugen to make their own vision and just drive by release it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
There is still "platoons" in a way I discovered. If you put units into a CTRL group (Control + #), then it gives each of those units a little number next to their icon depending on what control group they're in. if you then click any unit of that group, then it will select all the units of the group. So you can quickly platoon up infantry or tanks. it's not perfect but it may help.

Anyways so far the game has been really vibing with me and I'm excited to see the rest of the divisions. Supposedly one of the divisions will be VDV division with lots of forward deployable troops and light mechanized -- per MadMat himself, and we can also look forwards to the U.S. 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, West German 5. Panzerdivision, Soviet 27th Guards Motor Rifle Division, and East German 7. Panzerdivision. Since those are mentioned in the store I bet they are the closest to being added to Early Access.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 23, 2022

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Is there matchmaking yet?
Is the map sizes too big still? 2v2 map appropriate for a 4v4 game and all the larger maps too big?
They remove boats yet?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wooper posted:

Is there matchmaking yet?
Is the map sizes too big still? 2v2 map appropriate for a 4v4 game and all the larger maps too big?
They remove boats yet?

Boats are gone. They will add back amphibious functionality to BMPs etc but there will be no boats.

Matchmaking will come back but it's not in yet. I think map sizes are ok.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Another question. Can you resize text at all?

It all looks pretty tiny on Youtube and my eyes aren't great these days.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

dunno re: resize text, but i'm a big fan of the look despite the jank

https://i.imgur.com/lGsnbpi.mp4

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Hi tacticians,

Here are the corrections we made to the version that is just available!
Many other corrections are in progress and should be delivered to you in the next week or so.
If you want to be informed about what is in progress, feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/Xkr74kUzdn
At the same time, we are preparing to add two new divisions and we're a cooking the 1st 10v10 map. We will tell you more in the blog post

- corrected "short" movement stance in RoE
- corrected several crashes
- fix tactical group with transport
- add some German texts
- Mig 23 P renamed to MiG 23 MLA (it should be MLD, it's a mistake)-> equiped with R60M missile instead of R60 & R24R instead of R37R
- improvement of the power of the flak: better precision and increase of the tunguska rate
- increase of the range of anti-aircraft ground weapons units against aircraft

- correction of ACAV turrets
- increased availability of motostrelki BTR in 79th
- corrected the UAZ transport model and its icon
- corrected su 25 nose gun
- reduced the time to get conquest points => 2s instead of 1s

- check speed of all units, especially the T 80 tanks
- infantry speed redutction
- reduction of maximum cohesion bonus 25%-> 10%
- added a 10 second arrival time for ground vehicles and helicopters only
- correction of A-10 nose cannon
- update of the user guide
- AP gain fixed from 350m -> 175m
- correction of the victory levels
- F15 Aim9M missiles fix
- changed the term 'damage' to HE
- the size of the order panel has been increased
- rearranged the buttons on the order panel
- added the name of the Bradley gun
- changed the flares panel
- removed obsolete flags

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Played my first MP game last night. Game is rough, and very EA in that there is just skirmish and limited multiplayer, and only the single unit per side, but this plays like a modernized ALB, which is about the best compliment I can think of. Lots of little issues, LoS between units can still be a nightmare, and units will close range instead of maneuvering laterally to maintain LoS, SAMs and AAA still have range issues vs aircraft, some other stuff, but the core gameplay is there. Super excited for this.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

AI is actually pretty decent, is pretty fun overall.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Hey Commanders,

Here's the fourth patch "Puma".

Improvements
Finalization of the interface for displaying the scores by player in the in-game interface
Correction and improvement of weapon icons
Some corrections concerning ammunition supplies for American units
Improved Russian translation
In-game manual is now translated into Spanish

Adjustments
Improved and better tuning of the flak cannons
Improved and better tuning of aircraft nose cannons
Increased the speed of victory point gains from every 2 seconds to every 1.5 seconds
Minimum accuracy of missiles against ECM 5% -> 10%.
Correction of the number of missiles of the MTLB strela 10
Reduced damage from cluster bombs
Reduction of the damage of the MLRS cluster rockets = 125kg per rocket and not 250kg
Correction of the reloading time of HE bombs
Correction of the reloading time of cluster bombs
Better adjustment of missile ammunition cost
Correction of the ammunition hit of cluster rockets
Correction and increase of the range of SAM missiles
Reduction of the cost of ground transportation

Fixes
Changed the font used for some texts in the endgame screen.
Increase of the scrollable area of the endgame screen.
The missile RoE applies to all guided missiles, not only to AP.
Saved outrange RoE in the options.
Autosettings added.
RoE Idle: Fix Hold Position was not disabled when switching to "Nothing" or "Cover".
In the unit selection panel, hides useless weapon hints for supply units.
Fixed color of arrows for quick move.
Various UI adjustments so that texts appear correctly in different languages.
The smart cursor only appears for enemy units.
Ruins block the line of sight like buildings.
Fix crash when you put a german flag in the name of a deck.
Fix loss of captured zones when loading a savegame.

We would like to thank you very much for your feedback on the game.
Please continue, we are reading your feedback carefully and we are working on further improvements.
Of course, we are also working on the "NEY" release and we are eager to deliver it as soon as possible :)

Enjoy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
They're also going to add a 10v10 map and two new divisions this month -- the USA 8th Infantry Division and the Soviet 39th Motorized Rifle Division, each bringing to the table a lot more infantry and probably some second-line MBTs like M60s and T-62s. Then they will follow by adding two tranches of East German & West German divisions.

Be warned that in the latest patch they buffed the ammo of T-80Bs to 19AP so they slap pretty hard now. And M1A1HAs accidentally got nerfed to 16 AP (!). Right now Tunguskas are plane slaughtering machines and OSAs are pretty good too; also the cluster bombs got nerfed back to reasonableness.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

the discord is Warchat as gently caress too lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

the discord is Warchat as gently caress too lol

Warchat, but with people who don't own the game and won't ever buy it, yet wish to weigh in on game balance

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Can you derail the Discord for 6 hours with "Rommel was an incompetent War Criminal"

Asking for a friend.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They disabled ASCII in the in-game Warchat so people can’t just spam dumb memes and swastikas anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I just wish they would either moderate the constant endorsement of genocide or delete it entirely.