Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

More competition is always great, but seeing the Magic Leap CEO on this team is not doing much for confidence in anything meaningful coming from this project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry you're dead inside and/or don't smoke weed

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's kind of ironic, because at least Facebook is clearly invested in going all in VR, so you can 'trust' them in maintianing the support and getting new games, while Google, well, look at Stadia.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

forest spirit posted:

I don't think this is actually true hehe. I think 99% of the people who buy them don't use them after loving with them like twice.

Yeah this is pretty true in my circles at least. Most folks break em out for specific games/loadouts then shove em in a closet.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i literally have one

Cool

I have 3.

I've used them a total of an hour or two combined.

Why? Because its a pain in the rear end to use in anything other than games like onward, where im on a specific long range loadout that actually makes sense because swapping to pistols and back to 2h weapons is an annoying rear end task even with magnetic stocks.

Not everyone likes that poo poo. I've been given multiple stocks by multiple vendors and yeah if I'm setting up for a long map on onward, i might grab it and use it. But for payday? Hitman? Basically anything else? Naw man, that poo poo sits in the closet.

Saq, pretty much lives in his if its a shooty game. Unless thats suddenly changed.

I'm not trying to poo poo on them but like, they are such a niche thing for an already niche thing and frankly I find it complicates things more anyways. Yay now I have magnets that weight however much on my controllers, or yay i have to use some cup things weeee. Magnets aint light, that adds weight to things, and that poo poo sucks in literally any other game that makes you hold your hands up. Beat sabers real fun at E+ and beyond with magnets on controllers, lemme tell ya! This lead to me having 2 sets of controllers, one with mounts, one without. Even the fastest ones still take time to yank on and off. Plus I find I'm a personally a pistol whore and any 2h shooting I need to do I can do freehand well enough. Even in a comp setting, so whatever.

Anyways. Ramble over i guess.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 20, 2022

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
How’s the new throwing mechanic in Hitman? That dev video made it sound pretty awesome.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there no way to make Hitman not absolutely murder the resolution into a blurry mess?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

forest spirit posted:

we got one! hell yeah. which model and what quirk do you work around with the controllers?

The magnet ProTube, it's excellent for any more competitive styled or tactical shooter.

EbolaIvory posted:

Not everyone likes that poo poo. I've been given multiple stocks by multiple vendors and yeah if I'm setting up for a long map on onward, i might grab it and use it. But for payday? Hitman? Basically anything else? Naw man, that poo poo sits in the closet.

Yeah, that's my point, a gun stock isn't necessary for most games, but even in the Very Good Games That VR People Like, the base implementation isn't good enough and people buy peripherals for it. Frankly, it's often better for them to not model the differing effects of one or two hands and just track the dominant hand like it was a pistol if the point of the game isn't tacticool gunplay.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Is there no way to make Hitman not absolutely murder the resolution into a blurry mess?

It got less blurry for me when I turned DOWN settings, if you're on airlink.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Leathal posted:

How’s the new throwing mechanic in Hitman? That dev video made it sound pretty awesome.

I don't understand why you would make a VR game where the throwing mechanic isn't "literally throw the thing".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wow they absolutely botched this launch as bad as you possible could. Look at this poo poo. What does any of this even mean other than placing artificial value on the pack discounts or whatever.

I wanted it just for VR mode but lmao I got double hosed as a Reverb and left-hand enjoyer (thanks to the one person who posted this out!)

All this on top of they didn't put any of it up until the exact second it went live today makes you think they must have known how this would look, and also makes me wonder how much they actually sold on EGS to pull this lol. Holy gently caress what a mess. Definitely one of the worse launches I've ever seen. Review bombing definitely incoming.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The jank in Hitman (turning, IK, buttons for interactions, no magazine handing for guns, etc) sound a lot like working around limitations of the original game.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Leathal posted:

The throwing is interesting. You aim with your left hand and a targeting reticle appears if you’re aiming at a valid throwing target. Then you do a throwing motion with your right hand and it sends whatever you threw like it’s a guided missile. You can’t throw without using the mechanic. If you attempt to just throw like a regular VR game the object doesn’t take momentum into account and it just falls straight down from the point of release.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 20, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Walrus posted:

It got less blurry for me when I turned DOWN settings, if you're on airlink.

I'm on OG Rift.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Any idea how to start the gamepass version of Hitman 3 in VR? It doesn't present options even with Steam VR running.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ralith posted:

I don't understand why you would make a VR game where the throwing mechanic isn't "literally throw the thing".

Hitman’s throwing is pretty hard focused on being 100% accurate as a game mechanic. Their solution is awesome, being able to whiff a throw would screw up the difficulty balance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

My OG Rift started occasionally gliching. Every now and then the left screen just turns off. Only the left screen and it's always fixed by restarting the software.

Anyone else had that issue?

The issue started to become more and more frequent. Googling shows a ton of people running into exact same problem with no solution besides contacting and getting shafted by oculus support.
I created a ticket but I fear that might be it for me and VR until someone makes a reasonable mid-range headset. :/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

The issue started to become more and more frequent. Googling shows a ton of people running into exact same problem with no solution besides contacting and getting shafted by oculus support.
I created a ticket but I fear that might be it for me and VR until someone makes a reasonable mid-range headset. :/

Everyone's left screen is failing, and not the right one? Thats weird!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Wow they absolutely botched this launch as bad as you possible could. Look at this poo poo. What does any of this even mean other than placing artificial value on the pack discounts or whatever.

I wanted it just for VR mode but lmao I got double hosed as a Reverb and left-hand enjoyer (thanks to the one person who posted this out!)

All this on top of they didn't put any of it up until the exact second it went live today makes you think they must have known how this would look, and also makes me wonder how much they actually sold on EGS to pull this lol. Holy gently caress what a mess. Definitely one of the worse launches I've ever seen. Review bombing definitely incoming.
Each base level is a "DLC" I think so that they can do free periods/weekends of specific levels and probably because the first game was episodic so there might be some legacy code thing. They could have learned how to present this in a more sane manner at some point, yes

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
After playing Hitman some more, it's really fun. That said, the movement and IK is beyond bad. Zero roomscale compatability at all. I might wait for a patch to keep playing, it's that bad. Everything else is great.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm super late to the table but the Q2 is real fuckin good.

As someone said, I have absolutely been spoiled by the Reverb. It has nearly perfect visuals and the headphones are spectacular.

The visual downgrade is seriously notable but I forget about it in about five minutes.
The controllers are way better, more comfortable and less prone to clacking in to eachother.

Not sure if I will keep the Reverb. It's nearly perfect except for the tracking and WMR issues.

If AirLink didn't work on my Wifi 5 PC, it would be an easier choice.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mind-blowing that IOI managed to gently caress up Hitman VR this bad.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

When it started happening to me it just got progressively worse until I resorted to Bezos for a refund. Oculusbook told me to gently caress off, straight up. "That's a shame but we won't do anything about it"

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Carecat posted:

Any idea how to start the gamepass version of Hitman 3 in VR? It doesn't present options even with Steam VR running.

Have u gotten to the menu where you see the different modes you can select? Behind the first menu where its just play, options, etc.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Jesus. People are allowed to be disappointed in Hitman VR. It’s a feature in the product they’re selling, not a loving personal favour.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

marumaru posted:

Mind-blowing that IOI managed to gently caress up Hitman VR this bad.

Honestly, I would've been more surprised if they had done a great job. Most flatscreen developers who venture into VR seem to always be starting from square one, seeming to learn nothing from what's already out there. There have been a few exceptions, I'd argue mostly Insomniac with Unspoken and Stormland and Ready at Dawn with Lone Echo/Echo Arena, but for the most part they're all just kind of doofy

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I really shouldnt have played Alyx, it's ruined the rest of VR for me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think it would have been preferrable if they had delayed the VR version 3 months, and it woul have been presented in a better state.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

GutBomb posted:

The throwing is interesting. You aim with your left hand and a targeting reticle appears if you’re aiming at a valid throwing target. Then you do a throwing motion with your right hand and it sends whatever you threw like it’s a guided missile. You can’t throw without using the mechanic. If you attempt to just throw like a regular VR game the object doesn’t take momentum into account and it just falls straight down from the point of release.

This actually sounds kinda nice. I suck at throwing stuff in VR because it almost always requires you to let go of grip on the throwing controller and my brain goes “whoa wtf are you doing, don’t accidentally throw the controller” so it feels really awkward and unnatural and my aim ends up being garbage because of it.

beep by grandpa posted:

I think Microsoft was secretly behind this relaunch because I opened Steam with what the marketing boys call “an intent to buy”, saw this poo poo, and immediately downloaded and signed up for Game Pass.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

So much this. I was playing VR multiple days a week until i finished Alyx then my interest in everything VR waned heavily. Nothing can compare to it currently

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

DoubleT2172 posted:

So much this. I was playing VR multiple days a week until i finished Alyx then my interest in everything VR waned heavily. Nothing can compare to it currently

Have you tried Stormland? It's not quite as good-looking as Alyx but it still looks great and is one of the most fleshed out VR games.

It really takes advantage of being in VR and offers a lot of stuff that Alyx doesn't (open world, co-op, flying, climbing, etc...).

I really loved Alyx but I'm not sure which I prefer between the two of them, they're very different games that do different things incredibly well. As a narrative experience Alyx is probably my #1, but gameplay wise I've probably gotta give it to Stormland.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think Hitman's throwing mechanic would've been better if they did something like "while holding the grip, press the trigger to bring up an aiming reticle, sweep it over your target until it's marked, then once it's marked you can just do any throw like normal and it'll home in on the target's head". And if you mark the wrong target, just release the trigger and then try again. Using the left-hand trigger is weird and unnecessary. Also not being able to use your left hand in-general is weird. Lots of really weird decisions.

That being said, I enjoyed it. I put it to the ultimate test by playing the Berlin stage, the best stage. Wandering around in the nightclub was amazing, and I liked just being able to casually stroll where I wasn't supposed to be, improvising and picking up random stuff, watching targets with Hitman Vision in my periphery, hiding in freezers, etc. Even the janky poo poo was amusing, like loving up a strangle so I'd have to ball my fists up and punch them in the head. I mean I get it, what people were expecting was a solid, built-from-the-ground up VR experience, what they got was a bonus feature for people who know the mechanics of the game inside and out. The Payday 2 comparison was apt, both of these VR dev mods are for people who already have hundreds of hours in the game and want to dick around in VR.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

King Vidiot posted:

That being said, I enjoyed it. I put it to the ultimate test by playing the Berlin stage, the best stage. Wandering around in the nightclub was amazing, and I liked just being able to casually stroll where I wasn't supposed to be, improvising and picking up random stuff, watching targets with Hitman Vision in my periphery, hiding in freezers, etc. Even the janky poo poo was amusing, like loving up a strangle so I'd have to ball my fists up and punch them in the head. I mean I get it, what people were expecting was a solid, built-from-the-ground up VR experience, what they got was a bonus feature for people who know the mechanics of the game inside and out. The Payday 2 comparison was apt, both of these VR dev mods are for people who already have hundreds of hours in the game and want to dick around in VR.

I just finished loving about in Paris and pretty much agree with this post. It's buggy and janky and some of the interaction elements are not thought out properly, but I was successfully able to sneak across the map to punch Helmut Kruger in the face, so it's good, actually. It's definitely more of a pain in the rear end than playing normally, though.

Anyone who was expecting them to implement full manual reloading in Hitman is completely delusional.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys like throw some grip tape onto your controllers or what. Constantly feel like they're gonna slip when I'm beating saber.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Light grip and wrist straps. Though I did once miss a full combo because the controller slipped on the last block.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What should I use my 30% off code for? I mostly have Rhythm games so what's a must-play of another genre?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Just Chamber posted:

:emptyquote:

EDIT: Valve Index peeps who hang or use a stand for their headset, how are you organizing the tether and/or securing the breakaway female end of the plug that connects to your PC? My tether is currently (messily) coiled on top of the headset and the female breakaway connector is just lying on the floor, where the kids can and do mess with it.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Best way to get all the levels is to buy hitman 1 and 2 then import them on the main site. You can find them pretty cheap. Worked out as 10 bux a game for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use the Kiwi straps, couldn't live without them now, highly recommended.

Gave Hitman a go, could do with being sharper visually but it's fun otherwise, I really don't think they could add many more VR features to the existing engine without adding massively to their workload and rewriting large chunks of the engine. A fully VR Hitman would be ace though.

I quite like the aiming style, Robo Recall still does it best I reckon with its loose and heavily auto-aimed throwing, but being able to pick a target seems right for Hitman, it's built around absolute precision and hitting the wrong target can be an immediate run killer.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's me, I'm the sicko who now wants Rockstar to make Manhunt VR.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys like throw some grip tape onto your controllers or what. Constantly feel like they're gonna slip when I'm beating saber.

I use vrcover grips specifically because of beat saber. I think there's a brand that lets you open for changing batteries instead of taking off the grips too.