Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My Web3 skill is already maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

quote:

blockchain encryption

:confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

The other primary function is support for Web3, aka blockchain-based decentralized internet, aka the buzzy new thing among crypto enthusiasts (and skeptics). On top of providing extra security via blockchain encryption, it allows users to access things like GameFi "where you can earn as you play your way through all sorts of metaverses," Opera notes.

i really want to sit these people down and go "ok explain what the gently caress you think any of these words mean"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

with double negatives it's just a chain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's how you get the extra security while you earn as you play your way through all sorts of metaverses

obviously

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

metaverses lol. eagerly awaiting microsoft renaming WoW to Metaverse of Warcraft

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Active Worlds of Warcraft

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what makes it a "blockchain-based decentralized internet", what do you think an internet is

also it's minor but i notice the fiat-to-crypto on-ramp doesn't have any corresponding off-ramp to get actual money back out, i'm sure that's just an oversight though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i do like that opera seems to think "metaverses" are just wreck-it ralph though, that's fun

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lmao, and this is after Opera already pivoted to trying to be the browser for gamers. How about being the browser for lovely bandwagon stuff

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The original Opera team, making the pretty solid Vivaldi instead ever since their buyout years back, have been open for months about how they will never make this mistake and god, sometimes I wonder if a former coworker or two don't just share notes going "hey you know what dumb poo poo WE got asked to implement today?" at all of their desperate scraping.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

lmao, and this is after Opera already pivoted to trying to be the browser for gamers. How about being the browser for lovely bandwagon stuff

quote:

Owner
Beijing Kunlun Tech Co., Ltd. (Zhou Yahui) (48%)[7]
Qifei International Development Co. Limited (Qihoo 360) (27.5%)[8]
Keeneyes Future Holdings Inc (Zhou Yahui) (19.5%)[7][8]
Golden Brick Capital Private Equity Fund I L.P. (5%)[8]
The browser as both state-sponsored malware AND a conduit for burning down the planet. I'd rather use Safari... on Windows.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

The browser as both state-sponsored malware AND a conduit for burning down the planet. I'd rather use Safari... on Windows.

lol that the same guy owns two different companies to comprise a majority share ownership of loving opera

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

The gamefi poo poo is driving me insane. Who thinks they're actually going to get paid for playing a video game? Where do they think the money is coming from?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

what makes it a "blockchain-based decentralized internet", what do you think an internet is

also it's minor but i notice the fiat-to-crypto on-ramp doesn't have any corresponding off-ramp to get actual money back out, i'm sure that's just an oversight though

It even has a secure clipboard that ensures other apps can't data when you copy/paste

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Further, let's put it this way: Africa is like their house, and it is rich with twinkies and natural deposits of X-Boxes.

Also:

Jose Valasquez posted:

Jesus Christ dude, how much money have you lost on crypto? This is just from the first few posts you made in the thread

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Hammerite posted:

why do people put .eth on the end of their twitter name

i mean i guess it warns others not to interact but surely it's not intended to be so altruistic

I think they do that because it's their website or wallet address in the .eth domain. If you aren't already aware there are several crypto specific domain names now, and you can own them on the blockchain!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

EorayMel posted:

Further, let's put it this way: Africa is like their house, and it is rich with twinkies and natural deposits of X-Boxes.

Also:

:eyepop:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

did timbuckly create the most referenced piece of art of all time:thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Wisest Moron posted:

I think they do that because it's their website or wallet address in the .eth domain. If you aren't already aware there are several crypto specific domain names now, and you can own them on the blockchain!

actually it's a secret symbol child predators use to identify each other

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

do twitter bitcoinmen still do the laser eyes thing or did monkeys over take that

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
My "friend" sent me this saying this is why butts are good.

https://theintercept.com/2022/01/19/crypto-afghanistan-sanctions-taliban/

Thoughts?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

There are several advantages to using crypto: Afghans fleeing the Taliban can take their assets with them without risk. Humanitarian agencies seeking to bypass banks and discreetly avoid the Taliban can provide cash directly to those in need. Smugglers and intermediaries who may steal or try to resell aid packages can be circumvented if aid is given directly through a digital transaction.

boy there's a lot of asterisks next to all of these statements, weird that they forgot to add them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“We can’t get money through banks, but 88 percent of Afghan families have at least one smartphone,” said Kakar, who hopes to facilitate money transfers of afghanis, along with USDC, another stablecoin. He is in the process of setting up money-exchanging shops at which Afghans can obtain QR codes or trade crypto for hard currency.

“You can trade back and forth, send it overseas or receive it overseas, without ever touching banks, without touching the Afghan government or Taliban,” said Kakar. “It’s all on the blockchain network.”

hey guess who controls the "money-exchanging shops"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
evading US sanctions by any means to feed the hungry is a noble effort

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like do these people think crypto is one weird trick the taliban don't know about and will just ignore, let alone use themselves

quote:

Kakar explained that many steps are in place on his app to ensure that users are authenticated. HesabPay, Kakar’s company, is running commercials on Afghan television and radio stations to explain the product, which uses biometric technology (such as facial recognition) to identify users.

“It’s all in the blockchain, all on a permanent ledger outside of the whole banking system, but under the purview of the Treasury, so they know that money is not being used for terrorism finance,” said Kakar.

lmao ok sure

quote:

Despite the steep learning curve and several barriers to entry, within Afghanistan using crypto is seen as an unqualified improvement on the status quo. Zafar recalled working in Afghanistan years ago, when militants would raid vans transporting cash around the country. Forough said that her sister’s bank account was seized by the Taliban after the U.S. withdrawal because of her work with Western groups. There are more and more new reports of banks closing.

thank god they can't possibly do the exact same thing to crypto

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

evading US sanctions by any means to feed the hungry is a noble effort

is that what this is

quote:

With crypto, Forough’s tiny pocket of Afghanistan is surviving. “A group of our students just finished our academy scholarship, 77 of them,” said Forough. “Including, I believe, the very first female blockchain coders in Afghanistan. It’s very exciting even though the situation on the ground is not very pleasant.”

cuz they talk a lot about humanitarian stuff and then weave in "oh by the way this person's business is training blockchain coders" or "oh by the way this person's business is some crypto app" which makes me real fuckin' skeptical about the entire rest of it

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it helps people who want to send money into Afghanistan more than it helps people who need to use money in Afghanistan

but that's still something i think

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tormented posted:

My "friend" sent me this saying this is why butts are good.

https://theintercept.com/2022/01/19/crypto-afghanistan-sanctions-taliban/

Thoughts?

she's been paying people in bitcoin for at least seven years, and back then she claimed the primary reason she chose bitcoin was to raise awareness of cryptocurrencies

it has nothing to do with sanctions, she's just a predatory bitcoin evangelist who's been using nonprofits as an excuse to spread cryptocurrencies by paying poor people in internet tokens instead of real money

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

simply access the anonymous block-chain via facial scan

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
holy gently caress it came true
https://twitter.com/twitterblue/status/1484226540984356864

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what the gently caress is twitter blue

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't see anything wrong with these people stepping up in the postwar situation with expertise that they acquired as US pawns during the war

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/892346728166416385

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

I don't see anything wrong with these people stepping up in the postwar situation with expertise that they acquired as US pawns during the war

sure, assuming that's what's actually going on and it's not just a bunch of people who run crypto companies trying to brand that as humanitarianism, which it sure sounds like

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crosspostin' from the bubel thread

lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EorayMel posted:

Also:
I picked this thread over the grey one a few months back, but every once in a while...

as if his pnl could somehow get redder than march 2020 :laugh:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

what the gently caress is twitter blue

y'know how discord has discord nitro? it's like that but even less useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
there are very few problems that are so bad they can't be made worse by a well-intentioned idiot stepping in to direct traffic