Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Did they ever do anything else with the characters in the game, like did any of.them show up in KH or like the weird mobile spin offs?

Squall, called "Leon", is a semi-prominent character in KH, at least KH1 and 2, dunno about any of the others. He's voiced by David Boreanaz in KH1 IIRC.

He's in the Dissidia fighting games of course, as is Ultimecia. Dissidia actually gives her something resembling a personality and character.

Also how did I forget Seifer, Raijin and Fujin are weird little punks in KH2 and Seifer is voiced by Will Friedle which was perfect. (that's Eric, the older brother from Boy Meets World, and Terry McGinnis, the main character in Batman Beyond)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Did they ever do anything else with the characters in the game, like did any of.them show up in KH or like the weird mobile spin offs?

They show up in World of Final Fantasy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ffxiv has a blow by blow recreation of the ending sequence of ffviii but with different characters

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I think when I was a kid, my imagination filled so many gaps in this game. I enjoyed the story and setting much more than 9 somehow.

The story is nearly really, really good but has so many... "wat" moments when I played it again a few years ago. It's weird after 7 with a plot so polished it amounts to actual literature imo.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

NikkolasKing posted:

Squall, called "Leon", is a semi-prominent character in KH, at least KH1 and 2, dunno about any of the others. He's voiced by David Boreanaz in KH1 IIRC.

He's in the Dissidia fighting games of course, as is Ultimecia. Dissidia actually gives her something resembling a personality and character.

Also how did I forget Seifer, Raijin and Fujin are weird little punks in KH2 and Seifer is voiced by Will Friedle which was perfect. (that's Eric, the older brother from Boy Meets World, and Terry McGinnis, the main character in Batman Beyond)

The actor swap-outs for Kingdom Hearts 2 were such downgrades, especially Squall and Aerith's. Not that the original performances were such hot poo poo (and they were probably crazy expensive for what they were given the stunt casting), but those characters have such flat, weird sounding line reads in 2.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NikkolasKing posted:

You forgot Selphie has blink-and-you-miss-it roles in both KH1 and 2. She’s Someone you can practice fighting with on Destiny Islands in 1 and I’m pretty sure she’s only in the first cutscene with Kairi in 2 (I didn’t 100% it so she could be in some other cutscene but I don’t think so.)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah she's like on her way to school with Kairi, which along with the scene of Sora's mom calling him for dinner is the only kind of indication of a world outside the little tree house Island we see in the entire series

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

jiggerypokery posted:

I think when I was a kid, my imagination filled so many gaps in this game. I enjoyed the story and setting much more than 9 somehow.

The story is nearly really, really good but has so many... "wat" moments when I played it again a few years ago. It's weird after 7 with a plot so polished it amounts to actual literature imo.

8's story is Squall's story, how he's shaped by the events happening around him, how he grows out of his shells, its why he (and Rinoa) are the logo. The events themselves are secondary, and seem to have been secondary in the writing process as well.

It was also developed in like a year, which is just mindblowing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Kingdom Hearts hits the existentialism strong in the opening, with Riku asking if there are so many worlds out there, why were they born on this one, specifically? But then the rest of 1 and 2 are stopping little shadow dudes from messing up Disney movies and figuring out who the gently caress Ansem is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Randallteal posted:

The actor swap-outs for Kingdom Hearts 2 were such downgrades, especially Squall and Aerith's. Not that the original performances were such hot poo poo (and they were probably crazy expensive for what they were given the stunt casting), but those characters have such flat, weird sounding line reads in 2.

The early 2000s were a really dark time where video game companies realized they should probably get people that aren't just the developers doing voices crossed with the idea that if they had actual Hollywood actors, they might reach a broader audience. Except almost every Hollywood actor who did voice acting in the era sucked poo poo at it.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Their greatest error was not getting david hayter to do literally every voice

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Final Fantasy VIII is one of the few FF games I haven't beaten and it's time I corrected that.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I got most of the way through disk one. It isn't as weird as I remember but i think it falls apart more later on.

The fact that it is a story about a mentally ill child soldier learning to trust his friends completely passed me by when I last played it as a kid.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

I got most of the way through disk one. It isn't as weird as I remember but i think it falls apart more later on.

The fact that it is a story about a mentally ill child soldier learning to trust his friends completely passed me by when I last played it as a kid.

That's because the game presents Balamb as nothing but a rad high school. The contrast between Balamb and Galbadia Garden is striking, only the latter feels like a real military school.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think also I saw 17 year olds as grown ups when I played this game aged 11 or so. Some of them drive cars!

Playing it now, disk one climaxes with an army general with the resources of a continent behind him hireing bunch of teenagers to prevent the dictatorship falling to a coup plotted by a sorceress

Its loving bonkers

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

E: double post

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Teenagers who have been raised for soldiering since (I dunno, like 10 or something), who've already thoroughly clowned on said continent's army. If anyone comes out of FF8 looking bad, its Galbadian footsoldiers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Teenagers who have been raised for soldiering since (I dunno, like 10 or something), who've already thoroughly clowned on said continent's army. If anyone comes out of FF8 looking bad, its Galbadian footsoldiers.

What about their hockey team?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The first time I saw a screenshot of battling those hockey enemies I was convinced it was a photoshop of some PS1 era hockey game

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhHwpkL17o

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is one of the few FF games I haven't beaten and it's time I corrected that.

I've been thwarted in this due to a bug that keeps crashing the game.

The crash always happens when I attempt to escape from the robot boss X-ATM092. Which I believe your suppose to do since you knock it down and the game literally tells you to run.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I've been thwarted in this due to a bug that keeps crashing the game.

The crash always happens when I attempt to escape from the robot boss X-ATM092. Which I believe your suppose to do since you knock it down and the game literally tells you to run.

Which version of the game are you playing? I have never had this happen before si 'm not sure what to do about it

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I was playing on an emulator and managed to destroy my save files before I could progress to disk 2. I might try the remaster instead if I can ever be bothered to go through disk 1 again.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Which version of the game are you playing? I have never had this happen before si 'm not sure what to do about it

I am playing the remaster version via the Steam store.

I've searched around and discovered and resolved the issue thankfully.

The game's auto save feature saves, as most games do, to the mygames subfolder of the Documents folder. Which is synced to Microsoft's OneDrive cloud storage. It's not playing nice with that for whatever reason, so OneDrive's syncing must be paused to fix the issue.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What about their hockey team?

Doesn't some side conversation mention that they're a visiting team? Or is that the Scan result? Even the Galbadian hockey team sucks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Aren’t they from the Moon? Because I think someone with the hockey team uses Lunar Triple Triad rules.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Aren’t they from the Moon? Because I think someone with the hockey team uses Lunar Triple Triad rules.

I love how this sentence is so bizarre out of context but somehow makes total sense within FFVIII.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Complete_Cynic posted:

Doesn't some side conversation mention that they're a visiting team? Or is that the Scan result? Even the Galbadian hockey team sucks.

I want to say the verbiage is "demi human", a phrase I'm not sure gets used anywhere else in FF8. I wonder if it said something different in Japanese.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

someone says they are playing an all monster hockey team at some point

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I had no idea the Galbadia Bears hockey team was a summon card in Mobius Final Fantasy. That's pretty awesome.

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Since monsters come from the moon, does that mean they are just up there playing hockey until the lunar cry or is it more like teaching a chimp to do something? Like does Galbadia go around looking for demi-humans to give pads, uniforms, skates, and a stick to?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The aliens taught us hockey

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In my experience, a lot of people don't like Rinoa but for me she's the most interesting character next to Squall...until the game gives up on her and reduces her to just Squall's love interest.

I've thought about this before but it came back to me while watching an FFVIII LP where they just did the Laguna/Julia scene. Julia is Rinoa's mom,, that is explicitly spelled out by Raine at the start of disk 2. Laguna was madly in love with her and she with him but then he nearly died and she ended up with General Caraway. Much like Julia, Rinoa comes in strong and then is just forgotten about. Laguna's entire intro is about her and then we never see her again. Rinoa on disk 1 has so much baggage because of her mom dying while she was young and her father being a high-ranking official in a cruel dictatorship. None of this is resolved. Rinoa get a boyfriend and never mentions her father again.

I've thought in the past that FFVIII is trying for some "love finds a way" message where, even though Laguna and Julia never got together, their respective children did find one another. But even this still short-changed Julia's Rinoa's characters as they both still get far less than the others.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I would burn down an orphanage for a FF8 remake that expands the story but doesn't have fate ghosts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I would burn down an orphanage for a FF8 remake that expands the story but doesn't have fate ghosts.

I mean FFVIII already has fate ghosts!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

What are fate ghosts I don't remember that

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm a little further in now and FFVIII certainly has the most interesting system of the classic Final Fantasy games.

Level scaling all enemies is a system I doubt many, if any, contemporary JRPGs had. The magic system feels so strange. You're literally pulling the spells out of different enemies.

I don't quite understand this choice. Level scaling to me means developers wish to discourage grinding, but placing spells on the enemies to steal has you grind in a different matter.

Again an interesting system, but I'm not sure it's a good system.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 13, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

OhFunny posted:

I'm a little further in now and FFVIII certainly has the most interesting system of the classic Final Fantasy games.

Level scaling all enemies is a system I doubt many, if any, contemporary JRPGs had. The magic system feels so strange. You're literally pulling the spells out of different enemies.

I don't quite understand this choice. Level scaling to me means developers wish to discourage grinding, but placing spells on the enemies to steal has you grind in a different matter.

FFVIII is just a series of bizarre decisions that often don’t make sense and that is why it is beautiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OhFunny posted:

The best way to understand FF8 is to realize the developers just basically pointed a cannon full of different mechanics at the game, pulled the trigger, and let whatever happened lie where it lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

OhFunny posted:

If you don’t want to grind fighting enemies, you can grind Triple Triad instead! If you do that and turn on Enc-None you can bypass a ton of combat.