Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What the gently caress is this poo poo about? It hasn't happened to me in years, but today I got it twice. It was mild both times, I was able to snap from it in a few seconds, but the wincing and inability to escape whatever your nightmare mind is currently on is really disquieting, needless to say.

Is there something biological going on, is my cortisol shot to pieces or something? Am I drinking too much? (I am.) Sleeping too late? (I am.) Depressed and unable to leave the bed for days at a time? (I am.)

Do you ever get sleep paralysis? How often? How much is it affected by your mood and stress levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

its your brain trying to wake you up from the simulation

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is sleep paralysis different for different people? To me sleep paralysis is when I'm lying down asleep but I can clearly hear what's going on around me but no matter how hard I try to will myself to move I can't. I never experience any kind of demons or nightmares, I just can't bring myself to move my body even though I'm (partially) aware of my surroundings.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Who What Now posted:

Is sleep paralysis different for different people? To me sleep paralysis is when I'm lying down asleep but I can clearly hear what's going on around me but no matter how hard I try to will myself to move I can't. I never experience any kind of demons or nightmares, I just can't bring myself to move my body even though I'm (partially) aware of my surroundings.

that just generally means its happened earlier in the hypnogogic cycle, before rem sleep has occurred, if i understand things correctly which well,

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Who What Now posted:

I get that too, but I start trying really hard to move and hyperventilate. It's weird though, because any outside stimulus, like a touch from someone else, will snap me right out of it.

My mother had it too, but she saw the demon thing, which was her conversion story to her chosen religion....

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Have you guys tried being loving normal for once?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

lol loser

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

:ironicat:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

normality is the opioid of the masses or something idk im really stupid

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

no

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get it regularly. It’s basically your brain telling your body it’s asleep, but hasn’t communicated that to the part of your brain that knocks you unconscious. It’s wild poo poo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
For reals I have a neurological disorder where my brain sometimes can't communicate with my body well or at all, so I get this way too often for my liking. It's pretty scary but after a while it becomes normal. Still scary, but expected. It's mainly scary because I don't know what the side effects are gonna be after it wears off. Maybe I won't have a sense of balance for a week!

The demon thing happens sometimes, other times it's just paralysis and a total fear of nothing at all. poo poo sucks yo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I had sleep paralysis exactly once and it was the usual demon specter poo poo and I was covered in sweat.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the worst sleep paralysis i had i was stuck in the hospital tent from The Little Sisters of Eluria and they put the bugs all over me and it was loving terrifying usually its just greys trying to do surgery on me which is like dude do you know how much time ive spent getting surgery its cool this is fine (no i will still not go to a regular doctor)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The day I get a sleep paralysis episode that feels like that scene from Fire In the Sky, is the day I off myself. That's too much for me to handle.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

lol

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I had sleep paralysis on waking for a few years running some time ago, on and off, with a vision of a demonic entity sitting on my chest each time. Very disturbing. During one episode I told the evil being to begone by the power of Jesus, and have not been bothered since.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
get therapy, op i think this stuff is covered pretty extensively and most roads lead back to trauma

goon answer: try a mixture of kratom, diphenhydramine and several nootropics, and roast your own coffee(youre a loving idiot if not)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

BigBadSteve posted:

During one episode I told the evil being to begone by the power of Jesus, and have not been bothered since.

If invoking Jesus actually made the demon go away then no, that wasn't just a medical condition.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Yaldabaoth posted:

If invoking Jesus actually made the demon go away then no, that wasn't just a medical condition.

holy poo poo lmao

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I had it a lot for a while, until I had an emergency and my appendix was removed. Haven't had it since. It was like subconscious stress caused it, weird.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I hate sleep paralysis, i could be out jogging or running some errands while i sleep, but no, there i am, like a mug, in a bed.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I had it a lot for a while, until I had an emergency and my appendix was removed. Haven't had it since. It was like subconscious stress caused it, weird.

demons are stored in the appendix

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Sid Vicious posted:

holy poo poo lmao

I'm not saying it's a literal demon but medical conditions don't go away just because the patient prays to Jesus, so something really hosed up must be going on here even if it's not biblical.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I remember it happening one time pretty vividly.

I was a teenager and boring, so I never really thought it was important to close the door completely for privacy from parents. So it was cracked open a bit. I was laying on my back with my head tilted slightly towards the windows- which are on the opposite side of the room from the door.

I woke up in the middle of the night. Unable to move. It was dark. I couldn't move.

But Omaha was coming. Idaho was a serial killer who was on the loose and he had broken into our house. I could barely see the door but every time i strained to look at it, it looked like it was ever so slightly opening more and more. Omaha was coming to get me. I can't move. I can't do anything about it. He's coming to kill me. I think the door is opened just a bit more now...

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm not saying it's a literal demon but medical conditions don't go away just because the patient prays to Jesus, so something really hosed up must be going on here even if it's not biblical.

maybe its demons maybe its psychosomatic, maybe its maybelline

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A few years ago sleep paralysis doubled up with false awakenings and I kept having dreams where I'd realize I was dreaming, wake up, then realize I hadn't woken up and was still dreaming, repeat ad naseaum.

Between these instances I'd have lucid sleep paralysis where I could open my eyes and look directly forward in my ex's bed but couldn't speak. I'd be trying to scream during these moments to try to get someone to physically shake me awake.

This went on for a few weeks and it was purestrain nightmarish poo poo that had me terrified to sleep for weeks. After I stopped sleeping at her place it went away, I don't know what the gently caress it was, like secondhand ingestion of all the weed they smoked in closed doors with no windows open?

Anyway now I just sleep like I always have which is with brutal hyperacusis that wakes me up when I hear a single creak in the house but luckily ear plugs fix that and I sleep like a baby.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's an rear end in a top hat demon trying to suck the sweet sweet poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BigBadSteve posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I had sleep paralysis on waking for a few years running some time ago, on and off, with a vision of a demonic entity sitting on my chest each time. Very disturbing. During one episode I told the evil being to begone by the power of Jesus, and have not been bothered since.

God is good!!!!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
For a while I was so stressed out I was having severe sleep paralysis, ultra vivid false awakenings/dreams every day and auditory hallucinations of my name being called, footsteps in my house, knocks on the door, and wind chimes for months lmao

it would be coupled together with dreams within dreams where the dream would be all hosed up but then I'd 'wake up' and know that I had just woke from a bad dream and then go off and do my thing but then everything was actually still a horrible nightmare but I had already woke up from the nightmare and that meant all the current horrible things were real and then I'd 'wake up' again except im actually sleep paralyzed, even though I didn't know this had a real term yet at the time, while there's a knife murderer at my bedroom door who is taking 15 minutes to walk from my door to my bed while I can't even turn my head properly to see him come.

then I'd wake up for real except lol my life was the real nightmare all along. and actually I had gone probably 6-8 weeks without leaving my house or seeing another person not through a computer. Maybe 6 months without sunlight idk

pretty hosed up to not be able to ascertain reality for a few months lol.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 21, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Methanar posted:

For a while I was so stressed out I was having severe sleep paralysis and auditory hallucinations of my name being called, footsteps in my house, knocks on the door, and wind chimes for months lmao

it would be coupled together with dreams within dreams where the dream would be all hosed up but then I'd 'wake up' and know that I had a bad dream and then go off and do my thing but then everything was actually still a horrible nightmare and then I'd 'wake up' again except im actually paralyzed while there's a knife murderer at my bedroom door who is taking 15 minutes to walk from my door to my bed while I can't even turn my head properly to see him come.

then I'd wake up for real except lol my life was the real nightmare all along

pretty hosed up

Hell yea man u got them false awakenings too lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Methanar posted:

For a while I was so stressed out I was having severe sleep paralysis every day, ultra vivid false awakenings/dreams and auditory hallucinations of my name being called, footsteps in my house, knocks on the door, and wind chimes for months lmao

it would be coupled together with dreams within dreams where the dream would be all hosed up but then I'd 'wake up' and know that I had just woke from a bad dream and then go off and do my thing but then everything was actually still a horrible nightmare but I had already woke up from the nightmare and that meant all the current horrible things were real and then I'd 'wake up' again except im actually sleep paralyzed, even though I didn't know this had a real term yet at the time, while there's a knife murderer at my bedroom door who is taking 15 minutes to walk from my door to my bed while I can't even turn my head properly to see him come.

then I'd wake up for real except lol my life was the real nightmare all along. and actually I had gone probably 6-8 weeks without leaving my house or seeing another person not through a computer.

pretty hosed up to not be able to ascertain reality for a few months lol.

geeze

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Yeah lol 2018 was a really bad year lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Did this all end when you left Canada, apostate?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

A few years ago sleep paralysis doubled up with false awakenings

That's crazy, some real Kafka poo poo. I kind of get it the opposite? At least today it was like that. Both times I recognized I couldn't escape this eldritch horror, that was the moment I realized I was actually still in bed and the horror had no form, just this foreboding sense that I had to get away from something, but I couldn't move, or scream. I think I actually shouted myself hoarse without making a sound, because when I got up, my throat felt raw and tense.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Did this all end when you left Canada, apostate?

No all of the sleep troubles and existential terror ended abruptedly on may 15th 2019 and nothing even close has happened since.
i hadn't been able to sleep properly for over a year at that point.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Who What Now posted:

When I am going to get it I know it. I will start to fall asleep and get what can best be described as a high pitched ringing but not so much audibly but my brain tingles in the same way it would if there was some loud annoying high pitched sound in my ear. I know if I give into sleep while I’m this state I am in for a rough time. Usually I end up late nighting it and tiring myself out enough that I can just crash and skip the nightmare of sleep paralysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The first weird sleep poo poo I experienced was a goblin from the game Darkstone chasing me around with a long needle and I could feel physical pain each time he jabbed me, it sucked bad.

Oh, and he was chasing me around in an environment that I saw in a screenshot from the cancelled Black Isle game TORN. That poo poo was so weird hyperspecific.