Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

We hit two (2) months yesterday.

Goddamnit. GRIP STRENGTH EA. GRIP STRENGTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

whaley posted:

didn't henderson also report battlefield 2042 was ahead of schedule

No, that came directly from EA's own mouth, both their CEO and CFO said the game was way ahead of schedule and internal milestones

Edit: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ea-says-battlefield-6-is-way-ahead-of-schedule-supports-more-players-than-ever-before/

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 21, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

2042 may have had deece initial sales, but they need player retention to cash in on the cash shop that they didnt have on release b/c they rushed the game so hard lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Losing your long-term revenue tail from a battlepass service game has to hurt pretty hard even if the game sold well up front. If they don't get the player count back up they will be missing out on a big chunk of the money they expected.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

2042 may have had deece initial sales, but they need player retention to cash in on the cash shop that they didnt have on release b/c they rushed the game so hard lmao

Yeah decent initial sales (which real numbers will never be seen since the published ones allegedly include EA Play 10 hour trials as sales) aren't the full story of a game's financial success, especially if they crater due to lovely reception

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lmao Henderson got suspended

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Losing your long-term revenue tail from a battlepass service game has to hurt pretty hard even if the game sold well up front. If they don't get the player count back up they will be missing out on a big chunk of the money they expected.

Not really though. Whales make up the bulk of all MTX sales.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

Who would be the whales in a game that no one plays that they can't show off paid for skins to?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Oh OK they good then

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

Who would be the whales in a game that no one plays that they can't show off paid for skins to?

People do play the game though? I mean, I know you haven't for a while, but it's very much active. As long as there are active games and MTX available there will be whales.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Really the drop to 6k active players on Steam was a shedding of dead weight more than anything else

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Can you bayonet charge in 2042? This is important.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

no the melee is really garbage and unsatisfying in this game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The melee is super short ranged and will non-reg just like the projectiles often do. The animations also suck. Going against somebody prone (not guaranteed to work in 2042) has been really great since BF4 (even Hardline had great takedowns) but in this one you literally help your opponent stand up before poking them. Plenty of time to get zapped by a sniper or shot off by one of his teammates.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Really the drop to 6k active players on Steam was a shedding of dead weight more than anything else

Getting down to the proper fighting weight to take on Farming Simulator 2018

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Reiley posted:

Can you bayonet charge in 2042? This is important.

There is no reason to use melee ever at the moment

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah as someone that loves getting tags in Battlefields this game is very bad in that regard

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

There is no reason to use melee ever at the moment

Splendid Èlan always has a place on the battlefield

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They should add the Russians to Battlefield V instead of wasting time fixing Battlefield 2042-current-players.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

They add the russians

In portal mode

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eastbound Spider posted:

They add the russians

In portal mode

As a pay skin

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

this game is salvageable but they'd have to give every single map a facelift and redesign for gameplay flow

which is definitely going to happen with the publishing company that cut and run on the predecessor game

it's not hard to blame for that though that's an extremely risky investment to throw good money after bad after you've gotten your initial payout lol

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah theres little to no motivation not to go f2p. They already conned the initial suckers. Now they go f2p and put a battlepass thingy in and boom more suckers.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Did they increase the respawn time? I played a few maps earlier and noticed on average it took a lot longer to deploy. Not that I ever really knew why it would take me sometimes two seconds or sometimes over ten to redeploy, but today was mostly the latter.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

DrChu posted:

Did they increase the respawn time? I played a few maps earlier and noticed on average it took a lot longer to deploy. Not that I ever really knew why it would take me sometimes two seconds or sometimes over ten to redeploy, but today was mostly the latter.

The respawn timer starts counting down when you get downed, not when you die. So if you're downed for 10s then die, your respawn timer will be 10s shorter.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://youtu.be/aguiVaXI8ik

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

nightwisher posted:

The respawn timer starts counting down when you get downed, not when you die. So if you're downed for 10s then die, your respawn timer will be 10s shorter.

yeah for this reason you should always wait for like ten or fifteen seconds before bleeding out unless you gotta play with your loadout

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

lmao at DICE inadvertently pissing off some of the people who stuck around with the game grinding out Tier 1 stuff only for it to be made trivial with this zombie mode

the level of salt on reddit and twitter over the amount of hours wasted

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

If only they had done this once before and learned from the experience :thunk:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

what the

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Ohhh yeah, it's real good for the incendiary grenade mastery :flame:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dog nougat posted:

Lol. Rip battlefield. :rip:

[url]https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1484261137818525714?t=R8Ih8vGFcWDX2_oFKXZ64w&s=19

shut 2042, start a new bf with an even shorter dev cycle

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The cropped variant of Hourglass for the zombies mode doesn’t utilize it’s unique stadium, skyscrapers or even that monument thing, but the area with all the identical, broken dwellings

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEmpTWV7Mw

Angel does it again!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

the eerie and desolate feeling of the empty server... before the bf4 theme kicks in, they could have stuck with the twilight zone horror angle and I wouldn't have minded

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Boo, they just removed the zombie mode. I was having fun. The round finished and it was gone. Must have been cheesed too much.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Why am I not surprised they removed it

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

TheAgent posted:

Why am I not surprised they removed it

Icept posted:

Imagine if they spent as much effort on making rewarding content as they did micromanaging XP gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think it's because reddit cried about people farming T1 unlocks. The mode was still operating at the 300xp per min cap which isn't outrageous or anything.