Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I think it's no exaggeration to say that Robert Smith is a music legend. I think he's also the coolest man who ever lived. The Cure is a band that transcends generations and genre, keeping punks and goths and everyone else company for the best part of 45 years. Politically, Smith is sound as a pound. A huge influence on so many who followed. There's something special there. Tell me I'm not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
every time i've sat down and tried to get into the cure i've bounced off their albums (though they have a killer best-of), but youtube likes to recommend me recent concerts by them all the time, and they're always like four loving hours long, and i always like to scroll around in them and listen to the songs i know and be impressed that this 800 year old goth man is playing to, like, an astonishingly huge festival crowd for so long

they remind me a lot of depeche mode: a band that's shockingly huge for how relatively... left-field? ("alternative"?) their music seems. like, there's a couple of those 80s bands that just hit this massive stadium size that other contemporaries didn't, and then never really fell off in popularity. i saw depeche a few years ago at the olympic stadium in london and it was like 70,000 people singing along to this band i'd only really recently discovered off the back of getting into, like, OMD and new order and poo poo. i do hope to see the cure while robert smith's still goin', sittin there vibing to A Forest with a bunch of 65-year olds in makeup

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I've been trying to get tickets for their Cardiff show in Dec. But u think it's sold out. Have a look at their 2019 Glastonbury set on YouTube. 2hrs of the Cure as the Cure want to be seen (Rob talked about building the set list to be the most representative set the band has played). It's great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I like him just because he makes fun of Morrissey

(I enjoy the Cure)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The cure is good. I only have the one album of theirs but it’s very good. Robert smiths voice has held up extremely well too. He did a song with Chvrches last year and sounds great on it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have had some Cure super fans in my life (including my wife) that have helped me see past the superficial 80's gothy thing and realize they wrote some really great poo poo.

We played Pictures of You at our wedding.

I like that goth man wears Hi Tec sneakers.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Still insane that The Cure in Orange hasn't gotten a proper bluray or 4k treatment. I missed out on rare showing at a revival house 5 years or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSy0aDzGhk

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
He's great and his band's great. It's a bit of a shame they haven't been able to sustain the level of creativity over the past 20+ years but it's nice they're still around playing 3-hour concerts and his voice is fully intact.

I am unafraid to admit that Wish is my favorite.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i think the cure rocks but i dont think you can call a 62 year old dude who looks like this

the coolest man ever, let alone cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

BB2K posted:

i think the cure rocks but i dont think you can call a 62 year old dude who looks like this

the coolest man ever, let alone cool.

Wholeheartedly disagree. The fact he looks like that and not like... Well, everyone else, is absolutely part of the charm. He's kept true to his style and values for 40+ years. Consistently brilliant music. If I get to look like that at 62 I'll be happy.