Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sadly they aren't playable by RAW in the RPG because Ariadna's book came out before the werebear model did.

I'm sure homebrew can fix this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

The Russians recently got werebears, too.

Which happen when an Antipode infects a pregnant bear, and the resulting Antipode/bear hybrid infects a human, creating an Antipode/bear/human hybrid.

That's quite a complicated procreation chain.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

This is said Werebear. I should also mention that said Werebear is part of Ariadna's newly minted space force, Kosmoflot. So it's also a cosmonaut bear.

That hammer it wields is basically whats in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PpO0KRPHrM

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hipster Occultist posted:

This is said Werebear. I should also mention that said Werebear is part of Ariadna's newly minted space force, Kosmoflot. So it's also a cosmonaut bear.

Oh my god

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And it's guided by the nice lady with her... tablet?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Infinity RPG
Every Game's Advice 101

The GM section starts with your bog standard How To Be A GM advice section. Know the rules, especially those related to what's on PC sheets, and go into any session with a set of tools so you don't have to look up all the stuff on threats mid-session...but also don't expect your scenario to go entirely to plan. Treat it as a toolbox, not a map. Listen to what players want and what choices they make in play, make sure their choices are meaningful and have weight. That kind of stuff. It's pretty simple. The more specialized advice focuses on things like making sure you know the agenda of your various NPCs in play - everyone has one, something they want to accomplish and a reason for them being present. You can't plan the ending to a scene, either - just how it starts and why everyone is there.

The book suggests that you should have a solid idea of the immediate environs for a given scene - when and where it's happening, and what's going on, though it suggests minimalist description when scene setting so players can read in their own details - just make sure they have plenty of toys. Your other thing to track are the characters in the scene, which the game divides into Leads, those who are most affected by the agenda for the scene or who have the greatest weight in it, the Features, who have influence on the Leads, provide critical info, or are important resources to fight over, and the Extras, who are there to provide color and weight but are essentially interesting, talking scenery. PCs, of course, are pretty much always Leads, and if you have a scene where you don't think of any of them that way, it's probably a bad scene to include. The other main thing the game cares about is simple: conflict scenes vs color scenes. In conflict, folks want mutually exclusive things and in whatever form the conflict takes, you're trying to get what you want or make sure the other side doesn't. Color, the game tells us, is a scene for developing character and providing exposition, prep time or similar, giving a chance to calm down between fights and chases.

The game's other main notes: move between scenes quickly, so that you're always moving towards a meaningful decision rather than simple process. When players are doing things, make sure you know what they're trying achieve - if they say they're searching an area, ask them what they're looking for, get an understanding of why they're doing the thing. That way, you can point them towards achieving their aims, or suggest to them actions that might be more interesting and useful if the one they're looking at won't be. Do that before you give a difficulty to roll against or whatever, so you minimize useless rolling. (Note also that intention and result aren't the same - you know what they want and what direction to move them in if they succeed, but you don't have to necessarily give everything they ask.) Default, the game says, to yes - to letting player ideas at least aim for success. Flat no stalls the action, where 'yes, but,' 'yes' or even 'no, but' keeps thing moving.

Overall, the advice seems decent but not groundbreaking, to me. For setting up a Wilderness of Mirrors/Bureau Noir game, the book also provides suggestions on developing mysteries ('always give at least three clues at each node on the journey, to create redundancy to point towards the next, and make a list of the revelations you want discovered at various nodes') or setups of enemy rosters, with scenario blueprints allowing NPCs to react organically by designing them into action groups - don't track individual guards, but the entire group of guards doing the same thing, for example. It provides example behaviors for action groups, like patrolling a set route, moving around the area to react to PC actions, staying in key locations (either always or with set conditions for them to leave) and similar. Basic planning poo poo and how to template NPCs with advice for yourself on how to run them. Pretty good stuff in these parts, better than the prior section.

There's also a few levers to pull on to make intelligence-based scenarios. Specifically, subterfuge intensity, paranoia level and covert objectives. Subterfuge intensity is connected to covert objectives - it's how many you're handing out in a mission. Basically, on a given mission, how many team members receive a secret instruction from their faction to do something else while there? For a light touch, only one PC per mission should get one. As you give out more, the chances of PCs ending up at odds with each other goes up, and the more intraparty sneaking and lies start happening. If everyone has a covert objective, the game notes, things will get intensely paranoid and often caught up in spying and counterspying on each other. It's up to the GM to figure out what level of spycraft their group enjoys, and what level of conflicting goals frustrates them or makes them angry.

Paranoia level refers to how secretive and conflicted PCs and their factions will be. There are four levels - Deep Cover, in which the factional allegiance of each PC is kept secret from the others, as are any covert objectives on a mission. This is the most paranoid level, and the GM is told to use note-passing and other secretive communications to encourage an undercurrent of pushing for advantage. Diplomatic Immunity means the players and likely the PCs know the faction loyalties of the rest of the group, but everyone pretends they're all on the same side on the surface. Covert objectives may or may not be openly known to the group out of character, and there's often less paranoia and more chance to spectate on all the in-character spy games between party members. Faction United has all of the PCs literally on the same side - they all belong to the same faction and share in all covert objectives; they may even be working for a factional agency rather than Bureau Noir. Loyal Agents is the least complex and paranoid - there are no factional covert goals, just the main group objective for the missions. As a variant, it suggests a Rogue Agent game, in which all but one member of the team is treated as per Loyal Agents, but one member is a traitor and receives secret covert objectives. Of the lot, Loyal Agents and Diplomatic Immunity are the ones I like best, because I like factionally diverse games and relatively little secret PC vs PC action - better to have everyone on board for it if it's there.

Covert objectives are less a dial and more a thing to design. The GM shouldn't put them at odds with the mission's primary goal - that just frustrates everyone, since it means party members are actively trying to disrupt the shared success of the party, rather than managing tension between a common goal and private goals. Individual objectives should ideally tie into the primary mission somehow, rather than being an unrelated thing in the same area, if at all possible - that way they don't distract from the main scenario. It can also help if the covert objective leads to an interesting way to get clues as to the main scenario and its goals, so that the PC with the covert objective gets to be helpful butalso has to try and hide where they got the information...as long as a covert briefing doesn't ruin the main mystery or puzzle. You might have some secret missions be delivered to a PC mid-scenario to keep things fresh. The game also notes there's no reason covert objectives can't be in direct conflict with each other, but I'd be careful with that, personally.

Next time: NPCs

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dawgstar posted:

That's quite a complicated procreation chain.

The mobeius strip of life.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

So it occurs to me that for the bestiary chapter Summon Skate post, it might be good to look at a single example Chaos Figure in detail.To that end, out of the list here, which one would the thread be most interested in seeing?

The chapter also has rules for creating a custom Chaos Figure, so if anyone has suggestions for something they want to see as an anime final boss fight, let's hear them!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is it possible to have an opposing skater or team of skaters as a chaos figure? Sort of a mirror match, if you will.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Quackles posted:

Is it possible to have an opposing skater or team of skaters as a chaos figure? Sort of a mirror match, if you will.

Totally, Chaos Summoners are very much a mechanically supported thing. They pretty much work on the same rules as regular PC skaters, they have their own Skate Phase of combat before the PC's Skate Phase, and share their Summon Phase with the PCs where they summon up the Figures they've drawn. They tend to work in tandem with Chaos Figures, and mostly use Attack skills to directly go after the players, as a lot of Healing and Special Figures aren't really designed to be used on NPC boss monsters

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Essence of 5e: Let's Review The Power Rangers RPG

On January 26th, the official Power Rangers Tabletop Roleplaying game will launch. In the build-up, Renegade Studios has been releasing pre-order PDFs.

The development and reception of the Power Rangers Roleplaying Game is an interesting one. Initially, the game was to use Dungeons and Dragons 5e. It has become a meme in recent years how often licensed games use 5e D&D. The consensus is that most license holders only care about the brand and not the quality of the product itself.

To those confused by my comment, who view 5e as a quality game, I will clarify my comment has nothing to do with 5e itself. The issue pertains to the fact that every edition of D&D has been built to model a specific gameplay model, often called Dungeon Crawls, that does not map to the conventions of any genre. In other words, D&D never emulated the fantasy genre, despite being a fantasy game. Instead, it made a game about fantasy and morphed the genre to accept its iteration as a unique subgenre. Using 5e, or any edition of D&D, as a basis for a licensed game runs the risk of falling into the same issues.

Thus, fans of super sentai, the subgenre Power Rangers belongs to, were elated to be told that the game was taking a different direction and would not use the 5e engine. Instead, a new original engine was being made called Essence d20. Initial discussions of dice scales led people to believe Essence d20 would be like the Cortex series (Cortex Classic, Cortex Plus, Cortez Prime). The Cortex series is a series of game engines made from the ground up to accommodate many licensed games. Of all the engines available, Cortex or a similar engine would be a great fit for the Power Rangers. The famous superhero game, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, based on Marvel comics, even stands as an amazing example of how the engine could deliver dynamic superhero action. If Essence took cues from Cortex, fans felt they could be in for a great time.

Then, the preview went out...

Oh, it has a 20-level class system, like most editions of D&D...

Oh, the dice scales were just a way of modeling skills...

Oh dear god, why are they calling it Light, Medium, Heavy and Ultra Heavy Armor like its a fantasy game!?!?

Yeah, this wasn't even close to what fans were hoping to receive.

Join me, won't you, as I go through this game and discuss it's many failings.

For legal reasons, I won't post too many pictures. The above was simply there for effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Introductions

Before we even begin, we get a foreward. Strangely, the foreward is by Zordon's Actor, David J Fielding. Which is a nice touch.

This leads me to a question: who is the target demographic? The book is written in some aspects as if it's generic and can be used for any season (more on that later), but it's really clear they want this to focus on the Zordon Era of the Power Rangers, considering the cover, the art, and some stuff later in this chapter.

For those out of the know, the first six seasons of Power Rangers followed a single continuous story. Fans generally call this the Zordon Era, after the reoccurring mentor figure in all six seasons. From then on, the series stayed in the same continuity, but followed an anthology structure.

Back onto my point, while this push for the Zordon era may mean the readership will skew older, generally, it can also be assumed that a lot of the readers will be kids who are fans of the series currently airing on TV. The question then is who is this book for? People who saw the Zordon Era would have had to been at least 4 years old in 1993. The youngest ones would be 33. Kids are watching Dino Fury on TV right now. They might come to this product and be confused. And then there is the matter that this comic borrows a lot of art from award winning comic series, which mainly stays in the Zordon Era.

To be fair, there is no good answer to "which seasons should we use" for this kind of game. It's just weird that, as we see later, they try to frame this book as handling every era, when it clearly is only Zordon. As someone born in 1993, who came in at the end of the In Space era, this love of the Zordon era has always left me cold.

As we enter the chapter proper, we see some basic background information on the era. From what I understand, this chapter uses more lore from the 2017 Power Rangers Movie (which heavily advertised Krispy Kreme throughout the entire film, no really) than it does from the original series. In a way, that makes some sense and does thread the needle a bit on the issue I brought up earlier about demographics. Still it also may be a "please no one" situation as that film is largely considered good but forgettable.

Nothing too revolutionary is told here. Frankly, you can show people the [actual opening for the Power Rangers](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHalaFUqnTI) and get the same effect in less words. There is some interesting details, such as Rita being here for the Zeo Crystal. Essentially, it establishes the villains, says what a Power Ranger is, spends less than a page on what a roleplaying game is, and sends you to the next chapter.

On one hand, this is a introduction and I can't expect much from this chapter ultimately. On the other hand, I do think it commits a big sin: not doing enough for new readers. Later on and throughout the book, we are going to see a presumption by the writer's that this book is being read by veteran roleplaying game enthusiasts. The chapter on adventures only spend 3 pages on GM advice. The section saying what a roleplaying game is is less than a page. If you don't know anything about TRPGs, then you really are going to be lost.

I know that many readers bemoan the "Introduction to Roleplaying" section of many books. However, I feel licensed games are the one place they actually belong. There are going to be young children buying this game because they see the Power Rangers on it. There are going be adults buying this game because roleplaying games have gotten popular...and the Power Rangers are on it. You really do need to take some time to explain these things when it can be safely assumed neophytes are coming in. This isn't like an indie game on Itch.io. This is an officially licensed roleplaying and newbies will come in. Even as a veteran, I felt a little left in the cold with how little this game explains how its meant to be played.

Maybe they plan to release a Game Master's Guide, as D&D often does, but I always view those as scams.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2: Character Creation

This is a trend in book design that I feel is a bad move: going directly into character creation after the introduction. A lot of games use this layout and I always think it's a bad call. If you buy this book and read it in order, like your first instinct would be, you'd be lost. Character creation is something that always touches every point of the system, since characters are built to interact with 90% of the systems of the game. If you don't know these systems, how are you supposed to adequately make a character?

Chapter 2 is short. Arguably anemically short. It seems to serve a single purpose: as a reference point for character creation is done. It just lists out the processes in order to guide your reading of the next chapters, which explore each option indepth.

This review is not going to pick apart every option or element as that is simply too detailed and time consuming. However, I will say some things that stand out.

• This game does something I really dislike that every Sentai/Power Rangers game does: link the color of the suit to personality. There is nothing that connects the colors thematically in Power Rangers. The Red Ranger isn't even always the leader. For example, in Time Force, the Pink Ranger was the team leader. There is no reason to make the color come with a role thematically. Even games that I feel do a great job make this mistake, like Henshin. What annoys me is that these roles are always based on the same thing: the first season of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. More on this later.
  • It does look like the system make some breaks from D&D 5e. One sacred cow it kills is the 6 Ability Scores. Instead, Essence 20 uses Strength, Speed, Smarts, Social. It also borrows from 4e by tying every ability score to a defense. I intentionally have only skimmed ahead, not read ahead, so I don't know how relevant these defenses will be.
  • On the subject of sacred cows, however, it looks like Essence 20 does still basically have a Race/Class system. Listen, I hate saying it but, when you look at those 20 level charts, it's hard not to see Origin/Role as Race/Class. That said, Origin is a lot better term for it.
  • Something that looks good is the Influence system. You have to take a least one Influence. These Influences sound like they're direct ties to the setting at large. I skimmed ahead when I first saw the book and saw things like caregiver. I don't know the mechanics yet, but it's good that you do have to tie your character to the world.
  • This chapter does mention some of the core mechanics, but it's brief. It's still d20 + Skill Dice vs target number, but now we know you can also specialize in a Skill to get an extra dice. Specializations are weird and I had to skim ahead to see how they work. Let's actually break that list and go over it.

Skills are a bit weird. First off, they start at d2. They even call it a coin, which is very strange. Are they literally asking you to flip a coin? The next step is a d4: why not just roll it and halve your results, round up? That seems more elegant to handle a d2.

I might be proven wrong here later, but they never explain how to roll a d2. That's relevant because they also never explain dice nomenclature. I know, I know: why bother? But it's kind of important. This is a licensed games. Kids will be buying it. They may not know what a d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, or d4 is. They especially don't know what a d2 is. And I really, really hope they don't expect you to use a coin. More on that in a bit. Even games made for hardcore fans still take a second to mention dice nomenclature because you never know when someone is new. A licensed game that will draw in new players and readers is a place where this is mandatory.

Back to the d2, the issue with not explaining how to use a d2 is you may be using it a lot. Not only does a d2 start your Skill value, but a d2 is going to come up every time you use a specialty. I skimmed ahead and the way that a specialty works is that you roll EVERY DICE IN SEQUENCE BELOW YOUR SKILL and take the best result. This is not the best idea. Let me explain.

• It's poorly explained in this chapter. "Take the best result" is not mentioned. That's bad. You see, this is the chapter on character creation and the first chapter where specialties are meant. If you were to see this quick, incomplete explanation, you may do what I do and think "holy poo poo specialties are loving amazing." I mean, seriously? If you have a d12 Skill (the highest you can get), you roll 1d20 + 1d12 + 1d10 + 1d8 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d2 to the roll! You might prioritize getting as many specialties as possible with your build. I don't know yet how that would work, but I do know it costs you skill points. Then, you go to play and...it turns out it's only "Best Of" all the other dice. Still great, but not nearly as amazing. You spent time on making a build that isn't as good as advertised because the game didn't explain itself properly. That's called Ivory Tower Game Design. Listen, it's not a deal breaker but it just further proves my point on book structure.
  • Just imagine trying to roll all these dice. Especially with the d2. What if you actually had to flip a coin? That's so clunky. You can't do it with the dice. It's a separate action from rolling the dice. And you can mess up a coin flip easily. Listen, all of us know to just roll a d4 and halve it. But a bunch of new people will not.
  • The math on this is a nightmare. I plan to do any AnyDice rundown later, but I just can't imagine how weird its going to break down. Specialties probably are going to have a weird to calculate exponential effect that will make it hard to judge relative value. It's definitely better to have more dice and take the best result, but it's going to be hard to judge the individual effects of each increment. Some steps up will likely have a bigger or small effect on your statistical chance of success. For example, I ran a preliminary calculation last night and found that the difference of raising your skill is 5% until you go from d10 to 12, where it drops to 3%. Then, when you get bonuses that allow you to exceed a d12 and go to a 2d8 (which can only be done with a modifier) it goes up 9%, but a bonus to 3d6 only goes up 4%. And then you can get a further modifier to an auto success, which I don't even know how to calculate. It's always true a bigger dice is better, but they aren't all better by the same margin.

We end off the chapter on an odd note: equipment. We are told we'll get equipment from our Role, which is our Color. These include weapons and armor. That is fine, but it's also just strange. Why is this classified as Armor? I brought it up earlier, but it's a serious question to have in a game like Power Rangers. While it is true that the Power Rangers do have special suits that protect them, this isn't a fantasy game. They aren't going around and trading in their light armor for medium armor or whatnot.

Armor in fantasy games is a balancing mechanic. Characters generally get stronger armor the less support abilities they posses to make them more directly combat focused. More armor, after all, means they can take a beating better. Power Rangers strangely uses this as well. There is a power progression system inversely proportional to the Armor ratings, from what I seen.

It just feels odd for a game based on Power Rangers. Power Rangers is a toy advertisement. At no point do the weapons and armor ever actually matter beyond looking cool. Yes, do the characters eventually receive upgrades that make them stronger? Yes, but only in so far as a means to sell more toys. They don't need to be explicitly stated up and rated. They don't have objective power ranks in the fiction. The narrative tends to play fast and loose with such things as needed for drama and effect.

But, hey, I might be the odd one on this one. A lot of people say I overly abstract when I adapt. Maybe you want it more tactical. That's fine, but, if you did, why did you call it "Light, Medium, Heavy, and Ultra Heavy" Armor? That's a term that only makes sense in a game like D&D. Wouldn't it make more sense if you just got a Toughness (the defense armor boosts) bonus based on your roll when you Morph? Wouldn't that make more sense? Call it your Morph bonus? Maybe one could argue that, while thematically dull, it works well as a universally understood keyword and helps for future rules references. And perhaps they're right. But it still feels really out of place and feels a lot like someone reskinning D&D.

So, before we move ahead to future chapters, let's end this post saying what character creation is:

1. Character Concept
2. Origin
3. Role
4. Influences
5. Assign your Essence Points to your Essence Scores ( Strength, Speed, Smarts, Social).
6. Use your Essence Scores to buy Skill Ranks and Specializations, after applying any bonuses from Origin, Role, or Influence.
7. Describe your character (suit aesthetic, backstory, etc.)
8. Choose Equipment

And with that, we end this short chapter. I think next time I'm going to try to handle a few in a cluster since they're just going into detail on the steps.

Next Time: We go deeper into chargen

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'd like to see Chaos Cage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand that entire first page about the Yellow Ranger. You're creative...and fast? And a good friend? What does this mean

The real question is whether you can port these characters straight into Hellboy 5e.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Interstitial: Our Hearts Intertwined
Part 4 - Playbooks: Zelda’s Bizarre Adventure - Links are Not Crash

Welcome back to our Interstitial review, where we’re moving on to the next part. Today, size permitting, we’re going to talk about the Kickstarter stretch goal playbooks, along with commenting on some more advanced moves beyond the playbooks.

You may be wondering why the part title is an anime reference with a really deep cut to the fan translation of said anime.

Actually, I had no idea what on earth the title was referring to, so you might need to explain it.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 4 is called “Diamond Is Unbreakable”, but a fan translation once did the direct meaning rather than the contextual meaning and called it “Diamond Is Not Crash.”

I am making this reference because some of these playbooks are about to get a lot more anime. So, why don’t we get started with the first, The Anachronism.

So, sadly, all of the bonus playbooks don’t have art, which is a generalized shame. It’s going to get crazy up in here very, very fast. Because it’s time to talk about time travel.

…honestly, all of these moves are useful in one way or another. Except for 1.21 Gigawatts, which seems like an outside chance at best.

Also, let’s be honest… None of these actually involve time travel outside of the advanced move. I Was Different Then has you meet your future self, not actually time travel… And it has an unspecified “Time Validator” threat as the miss.

quote:

I Was Different Then
Once a World, you may cross paths with a past or future version of yourself. If you do, roll with Heart.
On a 10+, your duplicate provides you valuable tactical or emotional insights. Take a Link of your choice with them.
On a 7-9, their insights only vaguely apply to this new reality.
On a miss, you create a time paradox. The Time Validator is after you. Run.

Everything else is just you playing The Doctor, having an immense brain, sidekicks, regeneration and a tragic backstory.

The Doctor? Who? :v:

I bet some of our readers wish they were the Anachronism so they could forget this joke.

Seriously, though, most of these moves are useful in one way or another, which is more than the core playbooks can say. The only one that’s worrying is the advanced move, This Is Not Inevitable… if only because it portrays fixing things as a bad thing.

quote:

This is Not Inevitable
When a friend dies, roll Dark to interfere with the timeline.
On a 10+, save your friend and let the power go to your head.
On a 7-9, you are closer to learning how to let go. Take a Heart Link with destiny itself.
On a miss, you spend a long period of time in a vain attempt at changing fate. Resurface, broken and jaded. Unlock all your Locked Links.

I mean, isn’t that just the time travel mantra? Fixing the past screws things up? Butterfly Effect? If anything it’s a reference to the Tenth Doctor in The Water of Mars, where he makes a villain monologue while saving everyone. Spoiler alert for a 2009 episode of Doctor Who.

Yeah, but it’s at odds with the major themes of the game: that you get to have all the fun you wanted. And that’s including writing fix-fics if you feel like it.

True. Small counterpoint: The game is lethal, but death is still a choice. If a PC fills their Harm, they can choose not to die. And what happens when an NPC fills their Harm is up to the GM. Despite me maybe too casually using the word “dead” for “taken out,” the only people who died in either of my Interstitial games were the villains, who either faded into darkness like in Kingdom Hearts, or just kind of exploded like this was Kamen Rider. I agree that this move isn't fun, but I also ask - when it would ever be used in a game played with a Kingdom Hearts tone?

So that begs the question: what tone did the writer think they were aiming for when they wrote this?

I guess, maybe... fanfiction tone. Cozy comfort adventures are on the same site as traumafics, after all.

That’s a very, very fair guess, I’d say. But still, I generally like this playbook. I’m only upset they didn’t spell it ‘Jigawatts’.

I’m just upset about how sad the Link move is.

quote:

Link Move: I Had to Leave Them Behind
When you successfully gain a Link, you can choose to unlock one of your Locked Links. If you do, take +1 forward and Mark Experience.

Once again, a very Doctor Who move. A Link Move about lost connections, those who you left behind, to make you stronger. Hey - at least it’s optional.

“I’ll miss you, Hershel. And our— unwound future.”

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyway! Moving on.

The next playbook is… well, the only way I can describe it is: ‘too drat complicated’! Ladies and gentlemen, introducing The Amalgam.

OK, so on the face of it, it’s kind of straightforward. You’re a team effort. A crowd. Or clones. Or maybe you just have two bodies squished together.

…OK, I take it back, this isn’t straightforward at all.

So, I’m just going to ramble about how this doesn’t work from a mechanical standpoint, because their examples are so different that it doesn’t show the concept off at all, unless the concept is simply “group.”

Garnet, I assume, refers to the character from Steven Universe. Two Gems fused together. Two minds becoming one in-sync mind like it’s Pacific Rim. Fine, makes sense.

Compare that with Terranort, a KH character who is literally just a character possessing a body without its heart because Terra is just possessing his armor (spoiler alert for Birth By Sleep). One heart there.

Then you have Captain Planet, who is a single intelligent being that is unleashed when five other individuals combine their powers. If you’re playing as Captain Planet, who is playing the planeteers?

Given that one of the moves lets you separate, also you. All at once.

This is made even worse because the Planeteers only summon him for the climax fight usually, so you’re just stuck playing as five teens with magic rings.

...dibs on Wheeler.

Element of water, wage war with me! …wait, wrong show.

So, for once we’re going to have to explain the Link Move right away, or the required move - the one the Amalgam has to take - will make no sense.

quote:

Link Move: In Harmony
Your very existence is a connection between people. When you start a mission, pick a Link type to represent the current state of that connection. Take +1 forward for this mission whenever you gain a Link of this type. This benefit does not stack.

This move just barely qualifies as working with the normal Make a Link rules, at least. And the bonuses are helpful.

What’s maybe not so helpful is the fact that you, the player, have to start each session by rolling for Fusion Dance to see whether you’ll be playing together or separately!!

quote:

Fusion Dance
When you start a mission, roll with your chosen In Harmony stat.
On 10+, you are in perfect sync. For this mission, you may choose which Link type to use whenever Pushing Through Stress.
On 7-9, one of your Constituent Hearts is distracted. Explain why this mission reminds them of something they fear.
On a miss, you can’t keep things together. Select one Constituent Heart to play as, and take -1 on all rolls for this mission. You reform after the mission is complete.

Maybe not start of session, but start of world, maybe? There’s a few ways to interpret it. Either way, you have to roll with that stat, and if you fail you’re stuck playing as one of your Constituent Hearts. Which is great if it’s like… Piccolo whose constituents are literally in his head and I don’t think he can unfuse with them. That’s totally viable.

Still really sucks to be -1 for a bunch of time. PbtA roll probabilities are already bad enough without that.

Anyway, in terms of moves that suddenly took a turn, I have to ask about Live Together, Die Alone. By itself, spending a Link and getting (best 2 of 3d6)+1 is nice, but… what the heck is that option in lieu of dying? The tone just went out the window again.

(This playbook and the Anachronism were both written by the same person.)

quote:

Live Together, Die Alone
When you roll with advantage, add +1 to the result.
Also, when you fill your Harm Clock, you may instead choose: “One of your Constituent Hearts is dead.” You may only choose this option once.

I don’t hate it. It can be good for heavy drama. Plus you’re never required to choose that option. Of course, I’m biased because… well, I don’t know if you noticed, but I’m a fan of Kamen Rider Double. That hero is an Amalgam, and who I’d play if I ever played the Amalgam. And that show asks the question “what if one of us dies? How does that affect our ability as a hero? Also can we even move on losing someone I was so close to?”

So, yeah. I’ve experienced this move on my screen before.

(shrug) Maybe it’s a good move, then. The tonal whiplash is just a bit surprising, that’s all.

quote:

Equal and Opposite
Every rival in your Amalgam’s collective history combine as the Bane of Your Existence. Take a Locked Dark Link with them. When you spend that Link to reroll, take +1 if your history with the Bane of Your Existence has taught you about situations like this.

Many Hands Make Light Work
Once per mission, you may separate one Constituent Heart from your Amalgam to perform reconaissance: roll with Light.
On 10+, take 3 Hold.
On 7-9, take 1 Hold.
On a miss, the separated Constituent Heart is lost or captured. They won’t return from this mission with you unless you rescue them.

Spend a Hold at any time to ask the GM any yes-or-no question about the scene.

Not much to say about Equal and Opposite except it’s a hilarious concept. And Many Hands Make Light Work is primarily notable for being the 3rd move in the game that uses Hold.

Then we get to Drift Compatible.

quote:

Drift Compatible
When you roll 12+ to Make a Link with a willing NPC with whom you’ve never had a Link, they may join your Amalgam as a new Constituent Heart. Explain how your appearance, personality, name, and/or outlook changes with the new addition. You may swap two of your stats.

This is the second move that asks for a 12+. Both from the same designer. And while it’s possible (and Monster of the Week actually has 12+ options on basic moves as an advance) this one is… narratively weird.

I want to point out that this is someone you have to never have had a Link before with. So literally, you meet someone, get along really well, and say “Hey, wanna join my weird combined brain space?” And you can’t ask that to, you know… Your friends who you actually know?

It seems niche. And rolling a 12+ is hard.

Less hard than you think, depending on the stats. An average high stat is +2, +3 if you really pushed and min maxed. +1 bonus for making a Link with your highest stat, +1 from In Harmony. It’s still below statistically average to get a 12+ with the max bonus of 4, but less rare than you think.

OK, fair point - though it’s still not very thematic. Compare it to the combination of Third Wheel, which lets you have tender heartwarming moments and make Locked Links, and Two Become One, which invites those Link-bearers to be a part of you. In an equally heartwarming way, hopefully.

quote:

Third Wheel
When you spend time alone with a person you have a Link with, roll with Light.
On 10+, explain how you bond. Change your Links with each other to Locked Links of whatever types you each prefer.
On 7-9, the other character may ask a personal question of a Constituent Heart.

Two Become One
When you invite an NPC with whom you have a Locked Link to join you as a Constituent Heart, roll with Heart.
On a 10+, they join you as a Constituent Heart. You may swap two of your stats.
On a 7-9, they respectfully decline. If your Link with them is spent, reactivate it.
On a miss, the NPC is upset by your offer. Unlock your Link with them.

You get a Planeteer Ring! You get a Planeteer Ring!

All according to プラネティア.

…translator’s note: “プラネティア” means “plan”. ”-eteer” :haw:

Anyway, the extra playbooks we’ve seen so far have been generally light, happy things. The next one… not so much.

It’s time to meet the Linksmith.

I have one big question to ask: why is this here?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the content warning. But this playbook doesn’t make any sense in the context of the tone of… literally everything else that we’ve seen so far. Taking this playbook feels like it would run away with the spotlight and turn the tone much, much darker.

So, I’d hate to show my bias against this creator any more than I already have, but is it just me? Or is naming their self-publishing company after the trigger warning playbook a bit of a red flag?

Linksmith Games.

Hmm. I get the feeling that they named the ‘company’ before they named the playbook. They did still have to sign off on the playbook, though.

That being said, my opinions aside, this is Namine from Chain of Memories. Simple as that. Changing memories and Links and such.

So you’re saying this playbook is here because they took a Kingdom Hearts character and turned them into a playbook, without regard for whether it’d work well in a tabletop gaming context?

(Again.)

Yeah, pretty much.

… Shall we dive into the moves, then?

Right.

I guess we’re going to have to analyze a lot of these moves, given the context. First up is Linksmith, the move that lets you fuckle with NPCs’ and especially other PCs’ Links, in exchange for giving them Experience on the regular.

quote:

Linksmith
When you mess with someone’s memories and change their relationships, for each of the following that you have:
• physical contact with them.
• an object connected to them.
• time.

...choose one:
• Lock/Unlock a Link.
• change who is Linked.
• change a Link type.
• break a Link.

They Mark Experience for each Link changed in this way.

Not sure this mechanic works that well, already.

If gives free experience, plus you can make Locked Links. You just have to, you know… have brain fuckling. It’s just weird.

Yeah. There really is a tonal mismatch here.

Then we have It Was All A Lie, which I think is meant to piggyback off of Convince Someone. I’m mostly just pointing it out for the miss condition, which, uh. [sweats]

quote:

It Was All a Lie
When you convince somebody to act on false memories:
• for NPCs, your words count as clear insurance or evidence.
• for PCs, choose which Link they’ll lose if they refuse.
On a miss, the GM cannot reveal your falsified memories.

It just means that the “worst” can’t be “revealing that it was a lie”, when you prepare for the worst.

Oh right, that was Convince Someone’s miss condition. Still frustratingly vague and dark.

Your Heart’s Voice Will Reach It seems like an actually good move, and I don’t really have any objections to or with it. So let’s talk about Visions instead.

quote:

Visions
When someone who has a Locked Link with you uses Deep Dive, you may answer their questions instead of the GM.

“You may answer their questions instead of the GM” feels like shorthand for optionally saying “and lie like a rug”.

Though, usually when PbtA has a player answer something about the world, they’re establishing a truth, so it’s deliberately ambiguous, here.

Yeah, like… I can’t compare it to Namine because I don’t think there is a good comparison. She messes with memories. But essentially, this turns over perception checks to a player. That's always fun.

OK, I have nothing against moves that let you mess with the DM. >:3

To be fair, if it’s the basic list, that’s fine. If it’s the actually usable homebrew of “ask any questions at all” I used, that's different.

quote:

I Said Stop
When you break the last of someone’s Links, roll with Dark. On a hit, they fall into a deep slumber.
On 10+, choose 2.
On 7-9, choose 1.
• They lose all of their memories.
• They do not awaken until you allow it.
• They’re forgotten by all who once knew them.

On a miss, when they wake up, they realize that you tampered with their memories. Be prepared for the worst.

So then there’s I Said Stop, and this move makes no sense. Like, what do you use it for? When will it ever come up in a meaningful way during play? Why would you ever want to do this?

And last, but not least, when will any PC ever have only one Link left? I swear they accumulate the things like a vacuum accumulates dust.

Well, spoiler alert, but that’s basically the ending of Chain of Memories, though that ending is less dark than this implication in my opinion.

But, in play, the Linksmith can break Links. So just, constantly... mentally torture someone and make them lose their memories until they pass out. Do it to a villain and just basically mindbreak them, like those Shadow of War Shame compilations.

Congrats, your description is terrifying.

In the interests of moving on while we’ve still got the nerve to do so, let’s look at Apparition.

quote:

Apparition
To make something from someone’s memories, tell the GM what you want to make. They require 1-2 of the following:
• It’ll take time.
• It needs an item from another world.
• You can’t do it without ______’s help.
• Spend one of your Links.
• The best you can do is a shoddy version, imperfect or unreliable.

Once you’ve done everything required, the GM will stat it up for you.

This move’s interesting because, unlike the usual “you pick from the list”, it’s “the GM picks from a list”. I’m actually kind of sorry this isn’t used anywhere else, because it’s pretty cool, mechanically. And having an item from someone’s memories seems like an actual useful thing to do that can be done without flagrantly disregarding personal boundaries (much).

A lot of the Linksmith’s moves are only useful for the whole mind-editing schtick, so seeing one that isn’t is a breath of fresh air.

Though “statting it up” is weird. I’m assuming this is a direct reference to Namine making a fake Riku in Chain of Memories, which makes sense stat-wise. But items don’t have stats, so… [shrug].

Oh jeeeez, I didn’t realize you could make fake PCs with it. I take back what I said a second ago.

I mean, the move says “something”, which implies, at worst, a nonsentient being like summoning an animalistic beast. An object at best. But the reference is clearly towards fake Riku. So I don’t know.

quote:

All of This, Because of Me
When your actions cause another person Harm, describe what you’ll do to make it up to them; take +1 forward to doing it.

So for All This, Because of Me… is it meant to say ‘cause harm’, as in, psychological damage, or ‘cause Harm’, as in, marked off a tick on their Harm Clock? I think ‘Harm’ may have been capitalized here when it wasn’t supposed to.

Either way, it’s low-key embarrassing to have to have a move that says “this playbook is going to screw up on the regular, at least here’s some tools to fix it”, even if the +1 is useful.

Namine is coerced into using her powers. But I do think it is Harm. I think it’s more saying “your screwery caused someone to perform an action which got someone hurt, and you want to fix it.” But, once again, vague.

That leaves two moves, plus the Link move. But They Still Feel Right seems… completely unobjectionable and normal, if it weren’t for all the rest of the context.

quote:

But They Still Feel Right
When someone rolls a 10+ (with any of their stats), they reactivate all of their Locked Links with you.

I guess the only thing to bring up is that... this move implies that the Linksmith’s "Linksmith" move allows a character to have multiple Links with the same person. You’re essentially... turning the set of memories that Link represents and the weight it carries with that character, and turning it to someone else. Just a small thing to point out.

Huh. It feels like there’s some mechanically busted things you could do with this playbook, if not for the flavor underlying it all.

The book’s advanced move, It’s My Turn To Help, bears examining, too.

quote:

It’s My Turn to Help
When you stop messing with someone’s memories and let them see the real you, if they allow it, make a Locked Light Link with them. Roll with Heart instead of Light when using Limit Break to help them. You can only have one of these Links at a time.

For the most part, it’s another breath of fresh air. You stop futzing around with peoples’ memories and instead just… actually make friends like a normal person.

Except you can only show your true self to one person, exclusively, at any given time.
I’m sure this makes sense from a Kingdom Hearts plot perspective. From a tabletop game story perspective, it seems particularly limiting— especially as, at the very least, you’d want to be ‘your true self’ around the entire party. That’s how tabletop games work, right?

Also, it’s a weird implication that you can only have one Locked Light Link. At all.

That’s gotta be a typo, considering there’s other moves that can make Locked Light Links. Still, this feels like this was an(other) underbaked KH mechanic that was turned into a move.

Probably. But I guess that just leaves the Link Move?

quote:

Link Move: You May Not Know it’s Me
When you Make a Link with someone, activate your Linksmith move with them as if you had one of the activating criteria. The Link you change must be one they have with you.

Let’s just be clear. This is a Link Move that is designed to activate when you use the Make a Link move. So you Make a Link… And then immediately screw with the Link they may or may not have with you.

That feels weird, and not that great of a Link Move? Especially since it’s a Link they already have with you?

I guess it’s a way of damping out the normal consequences of Make A Link - that they get a mirrored Link, or the type is different than you want.

So it’s like “they always knew you as _______”. Which is thematic, certainly. It is kind of weak unless you back it up with the DM by explaining how they ‘remember’ you.

The whole high concept still bothers me. Bonus for the fact that the nature of PbtA, where you can borrow moves from other playbooks on level up, means that ultimately, anybody can have Linksmith.

I get it. This is 100% Kingdom Hearts. But it’s easy to forget that Kingdom Hearts is famous for both world-hopping adventure, and an incomprehensible, retconning plot that disappears up its own…

I do want to point out that the opening spiel literally says that the Dark should steal the playbook move to screw with memories maliciously.

But I know there’s too much to say that isn’t just spite at this manipulative book with a lot of baggage. We should move on for our own sanity.

Yeah. I’ll just paraphrase a quote from another world to ring this playbook out:

“Your game devs were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should.”
And that’s the end of that.

Unfortunately, speaking of Links - all those image links and quotes ate up our character count, so we're going to have to split the post here. We'll be back with more playbooks.

They get better from here. I swear.

Maybe we should find a way to shorten these links. Make them like fragments of what they once were.

Is... is that a joke?

You'll find out next time. :3

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand that entire first page about the Yellow Ranger. You're creative...and fast? And a good friend? What does this mean

The real question is whether you can port these characters straight into Hellboy 5e.
The Yellow Ranger is a reskin of the Monk is what it means. The Black Ranger is a reskin of the bard. Which is. A problem.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Interstitial and the Power Rangers game have opposite problems. It's kind of fascinating. Interstitial just cuts out scenes from KH and pastes them directly into the book; Namine did this weird thing once, so it's becoming a move, no discussion. What do you mean, "are you sure it will work at the table?" What kind of KH fan are you?? Very fanfictiony.

PRRPG, conversely, seems to have been written without any sort of thought about the show or what happens in it whatsoever. 5e has Monks in it. Has anybody watched the show? Dave, you watched some of it, right? Which color's the Monk? What do you mean, "they don't really have classes?" What kind of d20 designer are you??

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a side effect of trying to pretend every Yellow Ranger had shared characteristics in Power Rangers while also claiming they're all like Trini from MMPR Season 1. Also, it's because it's just a Monk.

As for Hellboy 5e, I have to clarify that this is not 5e, it's Essence d20. It's very similar in a lot of respects but it is different. 4 stats, dice based skills, story points that reset each session and you get when you fumble, etc. It feels like a 5e heartbreaker, to cut to the point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't avoid d20s, Covok, but I do deny them my Essence.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I should probably do an effort post on Tri Tac Games (Fringeworthy, Stalking, FTL 2448, et al.) they all used the same systems and they were all interesting but awful to run. Richard Tucholka was also one of the Detroit Crew responsible for The Morrow Project. He wasn't affiliated with the other Detroiter, Kevin Siembada, and Palladium though, but I know they gamed together in the late-70s early 80s.
I would enjoy that. I got interested in a lot of games back in the 90s because they had interesting websites, even when I couldn't find the actual book so I could buy it. I remember Immortal, Kult, Nightbane, even Chill having some good fansites. SJG had a site for GURPS Warehouse 23 where you could "open" a random crate in the warehouse and submit your own ideas, basically the precursor to SCP. I also remember Kult's fan community being ridiculously edgelordy.

Idunno why Tucholka was so far ahead of the pack in setting up a good website with an online store and even PDF sales. For a long time I just assumed that Nightlife was a Tri Tac game. Bureau 13 looked like a lot of fun. I had no idea how complicated it actually was, drat.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 21, 2022

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Covok posted:

It's a side effect of trying to pretend every Yellow Ranger had shared characteristics in Power Rangers while also claiming they're all like Trini from MMPR Season 1. Also, it's because it's just a Monk.

As for Hellboy 5e, I have to clarify that this is not 5e, it's Essence d20. It's very similar in a lot of respects but it is different. 4 stats, dice based skills, story points that reset each session and you get when you fumble, etc. It feels like a 5e heartbreaker, to cut to the point.

I'm reasonably certain the handful of new or redesigned mechanics in Hellboy 5e would make crossplay with D&D 5e a weird mess... so no different from playing Hellboy 5e in the first place.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Covok posted:

Honestly that is the problem with a lot of attempts to turn Power Rangers into a game: Most of the attempts come from people who only saw early Mighty Morphin’ and haven’t seen any of the different dynamics across the various series, let alone some of the bigger differences in Sentai. I’m still looking for a game with a non-red Team Leader role. Looking at you, Jen from Power Rangers Time Force.

Honestly, ironically, I think the only game that comes to mind that doesn’t force red rangers to be leaders is another Linksmith Game, If Not Us, Then Who? And that’s… basically just a vague storytelling game more than an rpg. It can be described as “Have you played The Quiet Year but also want to run a Sentai/magical girl recap podcast?”

Edit: When will we get a sentai rpg with proper archetyping?

eliasswift fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 21, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

eliasswift posted:

Honestly that is the problem with a lot of attempts to turn Power Rangers into a game: Most of the attempts come from people who only saw early Mighty Morphin’ and haven’t seen any of the different dynamics across the various series, let alone some of the bigger differences in Sentai. I’m still looking for a game with a non-red Team Leader role. Looking at you, Jen from Power Rangers Time Force.

Honestly, ironically, I think the only game that comes to mind that doesn’t force red rangers to be leaders is another Linksmith Game, If Not Us, Then Who? And that’s… basically just a vague storytelling game more than an rpg. It can be described as “Have you played The Quiet Year but also want to run a Sentai/magical girl recap podcast?”

Edit: When will we get a sentai rpg with proper archetyping?

I should mention I plan to end my review by putting my money where my mouth is and show an example of how I'd do a Power Rangers game. I have already gotten started on an outline. And I specifically do not do Color Roles.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Dawgstar posted:

And it's guided by the nice lady with her... tablet?

Yeah, she's their handler. Without going super deep into the wargame mechanics, if you bring her along he's basically more disciplined and able to do stuff like take cover properly.

Space Werebears have rage issues.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yeah, she's their handler. Without going super deep into the wargame mechanics, if you bring her along he's basically more disciplined and able to do stuff like take cover properly.

Space Werebears have rage issues.

F&F 2022:Space Werebears have rage issues.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
One of the big pitfalls I see with Sentai/Kamen Rider styled rpgs is that they get too granular with weapon stats and form changes and things. In the shows it's all a) to sell toys, and b) to do stuntwork in suits the stunt actors can barely see out of. Any advancement or new toy usually accompanies some form of character growth (which can get weird when the protagonist vows to stop his evil dad with the power of Fighting Macaw or whatever). It's all fairly light and nerds tend to get too deep into power rankings.

I'd run the fights in Panic at the Dojo and then figure out some system by which you unlock Fighting Macaw, but there's probably a better way to do it.

This is only tangentially related to how the Power Rangers RPG is a very last 5e heartbreaker that doesn't care to emulate anything about the show. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Infinity RPG
Space Monsters

NPC statblocks are simplified to a degree compared to PC statblocks - they have the same attribute spread, but instead of using the normal skill list, NPCs use six Fields of Expertise instead. These are Combat (Ballistics and Close Combat), Fortitude (Discipline, Extraplanetary, Resistance, and Survival), Movement (Acrobatics, Athletics, Pilot, and Stealth), Senses (Analysis and Observation), Social (Animal Handling, Command, Lifestyle, Persuade, and Psychology), and Technical (Education, Hacking, Medicine, Science, Tech, and Thievery). These still have Expertise and Focus like skills do, but there's far fewer of them to keep track of for any given NPC.

NPCs also get divided into three types - Trooper, Elite and Nemesis. Troopers are the majority of enemies, the simple grunts who may be good at their jobs but are going to be taken down quickly by PCs unless organized and in numbers. Troopers only roll 1d20, not 2d20, by default - though they can still get bonus dice. They have small Stress tracks, basically just half of their associated stat, and can only take one Wound or Metanoia before taken out, and only one Breach before their network goes down. They can't make Reactions, and the GM can spend 1 Heat per Trooper to introduce more into a scene as reinforcements. They usually have stats averaging 8, with few above 10. They get 6 ranks of training in the NPC skills, with no more than 2 Expertise or Focus in any one of them, and rarely have special rules or complex gear.

Elites are actual threats, usually specialists or unit leaders. Some NPC statblocks can be Trooper or Elite, with the Elites being exceptional versions who often get a few extra abilities or attacks. Elites roll dice normally, and they have Stress bars equal to associated attribute, rather than half - still not as good as PCs, quite, but much better than Troopers. Elites can take 2 Wounds or Metanoia before they're taken out and two Breaches before their network shuts down. They can be brought in as reinforcements during a scene for 2 Heat per Elite, and they can perform Reactions. They generally have stats averaging 9, and get 12 ranks of training in skills, with no more than 3 Expertise or Focus in any single one. They may have a few special rules or unique Heat spends.

Nemeses are actually big deal opponents. They have a wide range of skills, are often very clever, and are typically in charge of multiple lesser foes. They have full stress bars, incorporating their stats and skills (though they still use the minimal NPC skill list), so they're about as tough as PC would be. They are also able to suffer Harms to the same degree as PCs are, rather than falling over early. The good news is a Nemesis can't just be brought in out of nowhere as reinforcements - they have to be specifically present in the scenario to show up. The bad news is they can spend 3 Heat to gain an Infinity Point of their own. Their stats average at least 10 and can average even higher. They get 20 ranks of training, with one of their Fields of Expertise allowed to go up to 4 or 5 Expertise and Focus, reflecting a particular specialty. They should always have some interesting special rulers or unique Heat spends to make them memorable and fun.

Often, to make Troopers more dangerous, they can be combined into Fireteams. A Fireteam is up to five identical Troopers, and it has the same statblock as its members. Fireteams lose out on the action economy of having multiple individual characters - when they act, they take action with only one member of the Fireteam. However, they roll d20s equal to the number of members...which count as assistance, not bonus dice, so they don't count against the limit of bonus dice possible. This means that Fireteams are capable of getting a lot more successes than normal Troopers are. Because a Fireteam acts as a single unit, they only get one action per round and only cost 1 Heat to jump initiative for, rather than 1 per member. They also are considered only one target for attack purposes, and they still don't get Reactions. Whenever a Fireteam takes enough damage to suffer one or more Harms, they only take one Harm and then restore their entire track to full, applying any further damage to the newly refilled track to represent hitting the next member of the team. If the Harm was a Wound or Metanoia, instead of the normal effects, one member of the team is taken out. However, it's much harder to hack a Fireteam, as their PANs are connected and reinforced to help their joint actions. Their network is incapacitated only after Breaches equal to the total number of members minus one, and shut down after one Breach more than that. On the other hand, any Breach Effects hit the entire Fireteam, and because taking out members reduces the number of folks in the Fireteam, it also reduces their total number of potential Breaches. When a status effect is applied to a Fireteam, the GM has two options - either it hits the entire team equally, or they may negate the effect by eliminating one member of the team, representing them abandoning that trooper or that trooper willingly disengaging to not slow down the team.

A Fireteam can have an Elite or Nemesis serve as its Leader. This alters the rules a bit, mostly to the Fireteam's benefit. First, the Leader is considered part of the Fireteam - they and the rest of the team act as a single entity, with the leader usually being the one to roll, and the fireteam assisting by providing their normal bonus dice - the leader rolls 2d20, plus free dice equal to the fireteam members, which still are assistance so don't count against bonus dice limits. This is going to make a led Fireteam terrifyingly potent. When taking damage, the Leader is always the last one to take damage and maintains their own separate Stress values, though attackers can spend 2 Momentum to make a called shot on the Leader and damage them specifically if they hit. Leaders are part of the group PAN, so they suffer any Breach Effects with the rest of the team and vice versa. If the Leader is taken out or separated from the team, it continues on as a normal Fireteam. Led Fireteams still can't do Reactions, but the Leader can individually - they just do so without any help from the firetema.

On top of these rules, Fireteams can spend 1 Heat to redirect an attack on one of their allies within Reach, making it target the Fireteam instead. Some may have special weapons or traits only a single member of the group carries, and the Fireteam must spend 2 Heat to use those. When they do, that character does not provide assistance to the Fireteam's main action this round, but instead makes a second, solo attack as a separate action, which can target the same or a different enemy as the main group.

There are rules for converting a Lifepath-made character into an NPC if you want, but the game doesn't generally advise it - basically, you reduce choices to fit how complex you want htem to be, with Troopers being just a Faction, Education and single Career, and Nemeses being the full thing. (Elites don't get described here.) You determine their NPC skills by taking the second best skill they have in each field and using those Expertise and Focus, except for Combat and Senses, which use the best of the two skills they cover.

Common NPC special traits include:
Fast Recovery (Stress X): This will list a specific type of stress; the NPC recovers X of that type at the start of each of their turns, and can spend Momentum or Heat to remove Harms of that type, with the cost to remove one Harm being equal to the number of such Harms they are currently suffering.
Fear X: The NPC is scary. Whenever it makes a Psywar attack based on fear, it gets X free Momentum.
Grasping: The NPC can spend Heat or Momentum to grab targets it hits with melee attacks, preventing them from doing anything but rolling Acrobatics or Athletics to escape, with Difficulty based on how much Heat/Momentum was spent. While grasping someone, the NPC cannot attack anyone but the grasped target, and Exploit actions against the grasped target are at -1 Difficulty.
Inured to X: They're just straight up immune to some condition or environment that would normally be harmful, such as extreme cold, disease, pain, vacuum or poison. (Something Inured to Pain can't become Dazed or Staggered by physical attacks.)
Keen Senses (Type): The critter has enhanced sight, vision or smell, your pick. All Observation rolls using that sense are at -2 Difficulty. (Touch and taste not included for...reasons?)
Menacing X: When the NPC enters a scene, the GM gains X Heat immediately.
Mindless: The NPC is driven purely by instinct. It cannot make Reactions, is immune to mind-influencing effects and cannot take mental damage.
Monstrous: It big. The NPC gets +1 Difficulty to rolls where being huge or heavy would be a problem, takes a Wound after 7+ damage hits rather than 5+, doesn't have to Brace Unwieldy weapons, can use 2-handed weapons in one hand without penalty, and can spend 1 Heat/Momentum to give its melee attacks Knockdown for a turn.
Night Vision: The NPC has great eyes or can see different wavelengths than humans, suffering no difficulty increases from darkness.
Quantronic Jump: The NPC can jump between bodies easily. As a foe, the GM can spend Heat to reintroduce them into a scene when they're taken out - 1 Heat means they arrive in 6 rounds, 2 Heat means four rounds, and 3 Heat means they show up at the end of next round. No more than 6 Heat in any combination can be spent that way - after that, all remaining viable proxy bodies in the area are gone.
Superhuman Attribute X: When rolling with the specified attribute, the character gets X automatic successes, deals +X additional damage on attacks that would gain bonus damage from that attribute, and gets +X to their stress track if it would help determine a stress track.
Threatening X: The enemy has its own Heat pool in each scene that contains X Heat. This Heat can only be used to benefit this specific NPC, not the others, making it more limited than Menacing.

Next time: Some example NPCs. There's a lot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

eliasswift posted:

Even Henshin! which I like, based on PbtA, slots rangers into color roles because you need playbooks but even then as I go through the descriptions I can tell they picked out certain examples that were the most interesting. Sadly that means Pink is still the 'very social' one. Red's still the leader. Blue is the overachiever. Black is the... hip one? Green's quirky. Yellow's kind of the team pillar. Kind of interestingly it looks like they pulled more from a series like SPD than MMPR (which is one of the better series for the Rangers having actual characters, even if they are cops). Of course it wouldn't be hard to pick the playbook and then say which color you were.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Hostile V posted:

The Yellow Ranger is a reskin of the Monk is what it means. The Black Ranger is a reskin of the bard. Which is. A problem.

lmao at the PRRPG writers slamming both feet down on the exact same accidental racism rake from 1993.

Covok
May 27, 2013

You know, since I am reading as I go, I didn't even realize that the classes were reskins yet lol because I didn't analyze them yet.

God, at least He-Man will be cortex and, while I have issues with the pub, Avatar will be PbtA.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dawgstar posted:

Of course it wouldn't be hard to pick the playbook and then say which color you were.

Stupid Power Rangers question: What if you're colorblind? :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Quackles posted:

Stupid Power Rangers question: What if you're colorblind? :v:

There are Grey Power Rangers. The first US made Power Ranger not based on a sentai counterpart was the Lightspeed Rescue Titanium Ranger.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Covok posted:

God, at least He-Man will be cortex and, while I have issues with the pub, Avatar will be PbtA.

Me and my friend are playing with the Avatar quickstart at the moment, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Quackles posted:

Me and my friend are playing with the Avatar quickstart at the moment, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.

I ran a playtest and stood in for three community games run by the publisher. If you lounge in their discord, the paid GMs will let you join paid games for free if there are too few players. Do NOT ask me how that's fair.

My experiences are mixed as a result. A lot of the paid GMs refused to use the exchange system. Which surprised me.

It's been a while but I remember it being fine. Nothing amazingly stand out. It didn't super 100% feel like Avatar but I don't know if that's GM error. Some of the GMs were not 100% on the lore lol.

The exchange system is the only big issue for me. It's a bit slow and clunky but not terrible. I just wonder if Avatar is the right place for it. The combat in the show always felt very fluid and natural, not overly thought out. But maybe it does make sense to do it as part of the natural to-and-through of a martial arts fight.

I basically saw it as a decent licensed game. It didn't feel like a generic engine boiled over, like the MPR RPG I am reviewing. It also didn't like 1000% feel like Avatar, especially the exchange system, but like it's a good question of what I was expecting. For that matter, how much is the GM factor too?

It falls firmly in the "okay" column for now. But who knows how techniques will play out. The idea is okay enough as a way to broaden characters but also it's very combat focused, it could be unbalanced for all we know, and combat minuatia of this nature isn't really PbtA's forte.

I mean, there is a reason Vincent and Meguey Baker dropped the exchange system from his game.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 21, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It does feel like Avatar could suffer the same way Masks does if you try to run it like just another supers system (subbing in magic martial arts for supers).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That's fair. The games with said friend tend to skew low combat (I like to play smooth talkers), so we haven't tried out the combat system yet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok posted:

The exchange system is the only big issue for me. It's a bit slow and clunky but not terrible. I just wonder if Avatar is the right place for it. The combat in the show always felt very fluid and natural, not overly thought out. But maybe it does make sense to do it as part of the natural to-and-through of a martial arts fight.

Clarifying here that I meant the combat in the show always felt very fluid and natural. In the game, it feels a little stilted by the pre-planning and the reveal.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Infinity RPG
Alphabet Soup Agencies

Asuras are ALEPH Aspects that take their name from the Vedas and the terrifying spirits of destruction portrayed therein. They are Nemeses, specifically those Aspects devoted to combat, destruction and aggression. They generally work alone or in very small teams to go after high-priority targets and goals for their creator, work as armed escorts for important people, or do anything else where ALEPH really needs a terrifying killer on hand. They're among the best heavy infantry forces in the Human Sphere, using cutting edge combat Lhosts to improve their abilities even further. They rarely take pleasure in their work, but instead approach it with cold, ruthless efficiency. They excel at combat, especially with guns, typically go around with MULTI rifles and Teseum blades, are even better at withstanding pain than they are at fighting, and their Lhosts usually have subdermal armor and multispectral visors. They are immune to pain, have heightened senses, and have Superhuman Agility, Awareness and Brawn 1. Due to their terrifying precision, they can reroll 3 dice of damage per attack, reduce range penalties when attacking outside their weapon's range, and get two bonus dice per Heat or Momentum spent, not one. They also can reroll all initially failed dice on Resistance rolls, because they never stop.

Uberfallkommando Chimeras are Nemeses, too - field agents of the Bakunin Moderators, specifically the Sports Crime Section of Vice. Sports Crime is a major part of Bakunin's law enforcement - their job is to break up illegal Aristeia! rings and deal with gladitorial combat-related criminals like bookies, loan sharks and back alley chop doctors. To do this, they have to be undercover agents in the Aristeia! circuit - and so all Uberfallkommandos are recruited from the Chimeras of Bakunin or transformed into them. Chimeras are humans who have been heavily biomodded, usually to turn them into furries. It's an expensive process, but if you're a good fighter, the Moderators will pay your debts if you join up, or they'll sponsor your transformation. Uberfallkommandos don't have to worry about faulty biomods or bad doctors, either, unlike most chimeras. They're superhumanly strong, very fast and charismatic, and extremely good fighters and talkers. They tend to be heavily armed, often with illegal weapons to fit their cover, and each is also able to use at least one Chimera ability - a unique buff related to their gene mods. All Chimeras have one, and the GM can spend Heat to add additional ones on the fly - stuff like bonus unarmed damage, the ability to move across extra zones, or armored skin. They're also all immensely well-trained martial artists, and so they don't have to pay Heat to use Defence or Guard Reactions...and if they succeed, they gain Heat. They also know how to work a crowd, gaining free Momentum on social rolls to calm or heat up a crowd, and they excel at lying, getting bonus Momentum against rolls to determine if they're lying.

Dog-Bowl Players are Dogfaces who have gained fame and power through sports - violent and dangerous sports, but sports. Dog-Bowl is a brutal and terrifying sport that teaches great fighting skills, and it's a chance for Dogfaces to let loose with their instinctive aggression without fearing they might be hurting someone that isn't consenting to take part. Dog-Bowl is part rugby, part streetball, and all danger, with most players picking up at least a few nasty cuts each game. Many players love it, but they also tend to have few other options - there's just not a lot of work out there for a Dogface. They're Elites, with superhuman strength and coordination, great movement and combat skills, nasty claws, and Teseum-laced sports padding. As celebrities, they gain bonus Momentum on all social rolls, and as athletes, they get it on movement rolls, too. They have the ability to enter Dog-Warrior form for 1 Heat to further improve their Brawn, Agility and Armor, and in Dog-Warrior Form they also gain Fear 1, Superhuman Agility and Brawn 1, Menacing 1 and Monstrous, plus reduced Difficulty on rolls to move through difficult terrain, but most social rolls get +2 Difficulty except for intimidation.

Prospectors are a danger anywhere that mining is going on - they're rough, adventurous sorts who tend to dislike outsiders trying to jump their claims, whether that's wildcat Teseum mining on the Caledonian frontier, asteroid mining or off-the-books salvage teams after a battle. Few have better career options than finding territories they can sell to the hypercorps, and it's a dangerous life - radiation, tunnel collapse, moving through warzones, there's all sorts of dangers. They also tend to be distrusting, and for good reason - their employers rarely v alue their lives, and if they don't look out for themselves, no one else will. They're Troopers, pretty good at anything but excelling at nothing. They're usually pretty well armed - boarding shotguns with both shells and AP slugs, plus plenty of explosive charges, and most are armored in good vacuum suits. They also get to reroll one die on Extraplanetary rolls.

Riot Grrls are Elites, members of a radical feminist Bakunian street gang based out of the Beauvoir module of Praxis. They're anarchopunks as well, with the stated goal of destroying all society in the Human Sphere to create an anarchistic paradise, though much of what they do is disruptive stunts and street fighting in Bakunin's underground. They are driven to push revolution of all kinds, and to keep them under some semblance of control, Bakunin's Jurisdictional Command decided to try and recruit them to help fight for Nomad interests. While the Riot Grrls continue their work as an anarchist gang at home, they now also head out into space as one of the most feared assault teams of Bakunin, given access to the beast weapons around and the right to pursue their agenda of punk anarchy as well as whatever mission the Nomads have given them. While not superhuman, Riot Grrls excel at combat and are pretty good at everything else that doesn't require them to talk to people or hack things. They usually carry boarding shotguns, flashbangs, spitfire machine guns and long knives. They're very well armored, and when at least three of them are in the same zone, they also gain Morale Soak due to their strong bonds with each other. Also, they're very graceful and can reroll a die on all Acrobatics rolls.

TAG Pilots can be Troopers or Elites. They're soldiers that are always in the most dangerous work, because the pilot giant robots. (Relatively small giant robots, but still.) They usually have a good amount of specialized technical knowledge as well as combat skill, and many work on their TAGs alongside the technicians officially in charge of them. Most are giant nerds for TAGs in general. While most TAGs are military, they can also be found doing construction work, demolitions, mining and other things that giant metal frames are helpful for. TAG Pilots tend to be very, very protective of their rides and very aggressive people in general. They're great shots and good fighters, though not so much in melee. Outside their TAG, they're usually less dangerous, as most only carry a heavy pistol as a sidearm, but they can reroll as many Pilot dice as they want on terrain rolls, and Elite pilots can spend 2 Heat when piloting a vehicle or TAG to ignore the effects of the first Fault it suffers.

Skiavoros ('shadow devourers') are EI creations, Elite warriors genetically patterned on an insectoid race originally called the Colonizers. The Colonizers were created as immortal bodies to carry copies of their minds across the stars in slower-than-light ships to colonize new worlds. However, the Makers, the species that made the Colonizers, feared that they would rebel and return, so they deleted their origin point from the memory of the ark-ships of the Colonizers, so they could never return. The Evolved Intelligence has never met the Makers, but it encountered a damaged Ark-Ship and its Colonizer crew. The Colonizers had put themselves in stasis to survive, but the memory storage of their ship was damaged as well, both by time and whatever happened to the ship. The EI shrugged, deleted all of the memories, and turned the empty bodies into hosts for its own Aspects, arming them to the teeth. These are the Skiavoros. While the Skiavoros aren't superhuman in any way, they're excellent fighters, very tough and armed with nanopulsers, plasma rifles and sepsitors. They're also immune to cold, heat and pain, they're animated by Aspects so they have Quantronic Jump capability, and they're able to shift their skin tone, giving them bonus Momentum on rolls to remain in Detected stealth status. Whenever they're in a scene, the Heat cost to summon reinforcements is reduced by 6, to a minimum of 1, due to their constant communication with CA forces.

Karava Vinetraps are one of the many hazards of Paradiso, jungle plants that look like beautiful flowers which bear large, wonderful-smelling fruits. This is all a trap, and the other name for them is 'catapult flytrap.' Once the Karava is in range of a meal, its snap tentacles sharply constrict, stinging prey to deliver a neurotoxin and then drag them towards the flower blossom. Once they have their prey ensared, the flower secretes an acid that breaks down most organic matter into a sort of slurry which the roots can digest. The vines are covered in hundreds of poison nettles that help entangle the prey, making getting out of the thing's clutches a difficult feat which is often just as painful as its attack. The thing is a Trooper and has some of the highest physical stats in the book, but awful skills, and its tentacles aren't the most damaging - though once it grabs someone it can deploy its digestive acid to do more damage. It is Grasping, Mindless and Threatening 2, and whenever someone escapes its grasp it can spend 1 Heat to immediately attack again. While relatively mobile, it's still a plant so it can't actually perform movement actions, either.

There's plenty of other NPCs - that's just a random selection of ones that caught my eye. The book also has a list of different hacking device program loadouts for NPCs to use.

The End!

So, what do you want to see next? The faction books are: Ariadna (which also covers merchant stuff, plus Antipode, Wulver and reworked Dogface PCs), Haqqislam (which also covers piracy), Nomads (which also cover Uplift PCs and heavy genetic modding), PanOceania (which also covers Helot PCs), ALEPH (which also covers advanced hacking, Aspect and Recreation PCs, and expanded Lhosts and geists), Tohaa (which also covers Tohaa client species and biotech), Mercenaries, Yu Jing (also covers the Japanese separatists) and Combined Army.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

The End!

So, what do you want to see next? The faction books are: Ariadna (which also covers merchant stuff, plus Antipode, Wulver and reworked Dogface PCs), Haqqislam (which also covers piracy), Nomads (which also cover Uplift PCs and heavy genetic modding), PanOceania (which also covers Helot PCs), ALEPH (which also covers advanced hacking, Aspect and Recreation PCs, and expanded Lhosts and geists), Tohaa (which also covers Tohaa client species and biotech), Mercenaries, Yu Jing (also covers the Japanese separatists) and Combined Army.

Lets do Haqqislam, cause pirates.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't decide if that Riot Grrls repurpose is awesome or awful.
Though I'm sure the text states that they just take inspiration from the 20th century ladies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I dig ALEPH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Nomads, so we can jump in the freaky gene machine.