Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Crazy Achmed posted:

if we're getting nostalgic about 90s game soundtracks then i need to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRSoc-iyEWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_Kb0cDN98

PS: peep the top comment, it's the man himself :3

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just finished Subnautica, that was a really fun game! is Subnautica: Below Zero just as good? will probably hit that up next.

it's not going to have the same :buddy: wonder that the first had due to the simple fact that you're already familiar with most of the mechanics. if you just want *more* subnautica then you can do a hell of a lot worse than below zero. i wasn't as enraptured by it as the first one but it was still an enjoyable experience

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's not going to have the same :buddy: wonder that the first had due to the simple fact that you're already familiar with most of the mechanics. if you just want *more* subnautica then you can do a hell of a lot worse than below zero. i wasn't as enraptured by it as the first one but it was still an enjoyable experience

someone recommended outer wilds as a thing i might enjoy knowing that i liked Subnautica and have played a shitload (1,028 hours yikes :blush:) of NMS. is it good?

also ive been maybe interested in trying a souls game. ive never played one before but ive seen a bunch of vids of people playing them which idk prolly doesn't mean much. which one is the easiest to get into considering that i am prepared for some amount of difficulty curve? dark souls 3 or maybe bloodborne? also assuming that they're all available on PC...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you can't important steam hitmans progress into gamepass hitman 3 which sucks but I'm just going to use it as an excuse to play through the first two campaigns again

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i’m a bit late to the party but i started playing minecraft for the first time about a month ago

i uh…. i guess i totally understand the appeal now

yeah my wife loves it. she pretty much just makes villages and tries to keep all the villagers safe from drowning or dropping off cliffs or whatever. that and little farms.

are there any other games that give a similar village experience? not like a village manager kind of thing, more of a first person gently caress around kind of deal.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i’m a bit late to the party but i started playing minecraft for the first time about a month ago

i uh…. i guess i totally understand the appeal now

It's great, one of my friends has a server we all play on. They've made some pretty impressive things, and I have made a little mud hut on a small island.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

someone recommended outer wilds as a thing i might enjoy knowing that i liked Subnautica and have played a shitload (1,028 hours yikes :blush:) of NMS. is it good?

also ive been maybe interested in trying a souls game. ive never played one before but ive seen a bunch of vids of people playing them which idk prolly doesn't mean much. which one is the easiest to get into considering that i am prepared for some amount of difficulty curve? dark souls 3 or maybe bloodborne? also assuming that they're all available on PC...

just play dark souls 1 and don't think about it so much

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Eeyo posted:

yeah my wife loves it. she pretty much just makes villages and tries to keep all the villagers safe from drowning or dropping off cliffs or whatever. that and little farms.

are there any other games that give a similar village experience? not like a village manager kind of thing, more of a first person gently caress around kind of deal.

look into slime rancher

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i would have stopped playing minecraft ages ago but since having kids, they have kept me up to date. the new caves update is actually pretty cool. makes underground exploring way more mysterious and spooky.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

you can't important steam hitmans progress into gamepass hitman 3 which sucks but I'm just going to use it as an excuse to play through the first two campaigns again

so I was looking at this last night

it says it includes 1 and 2 but the launcher starts off with 3 and I don’t see a way to select which one you’re playing

how do you make sure you’re starting with the first campaign?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Jenny Agutter posted:

dark souls 1 is absolutely the easiest, but it has a little bit of (imo endearing) jank due to it being the first. Going back to souls 1 after finishing 3 feels like a cake walk. it's still hard though, don't get me wrong (post a trip report when you get to blighttown). get the remastered version on steam, not the prepare to die edition.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2022

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Subnautica club story time: how did you first discover the sunken mushroom biome?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
outer wilds is real good but it has no building component, it’s pure exploration and puzzles

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

RokosCockatrice posted:

Subnautica club story time: how did you first discover the sunken mushroom biome?

On accident while almost out of air, if I recall correctly.

haveblue posted:

outer wilds is real good but it has no building component, it’s pure exploration and puzzles

To me, that was the primary appeal, just 100% the joy of exploration and active mystery solving.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I built a gigantic volcano in a reef and filled it with lava and glass flooring, an iron farm, gun powder farm, a paper farm, and I was working on a nether tree farm when I got bored

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

make me

polyester concept posted:

dark souls 1 is absolutely the easiest, but it has a little bit of (imo endearing) jank due to it being the first. Going back to souls 1 after finishing 3 feels like a cake walk. it's still hard though, don't get me wrong (post a trip report when you get to blighttown). get the remastered version on steam, not the prepare to die edition.

thanks for the insight. i don't mind hard games but i would like to avoid jank.

RokosCockatrice posted:

im not sure which one you mean? there's several diff biomes with mushrooms in them.

haveblue posted:

that's fine with me, base building ain't a necessity.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

remastered even supports ultrawide without stupid ini edits or using flawless widescreen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MrQueasy posted:

To me, that was the primary appeal, just 100% the joy of exploration and active mystery solving.

I agree but if the question is “if I liked subnautoca would I like outer wilds” it’s worth mentioning

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's great, one of my friends has a server we all play on. They've made some pretty impressive things, and I have made a little mud hut on a small island.

we used to do this with terraria. my friends made this ridiculous palace with all these switches and i had a little floating house way above it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

remastered even supports ultrawide without stupid ini edits or using flawless widescreen

incredible stuff on ps2

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

we used to do this with terraria. my friends made this ridiculous palace with all these switches and i had a little floating house way above it

back when i had a desk and played games with mouse+keyboard i played the poo poo outta terraria. however a while ago i went to try it with my new controller only setup and it was really bad. they tried to just adapt controller bindings to the UI when they should have made a different controller-only UI.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pile Of Garbage posted:

start with dark souls 1. every game after has iterated and improved on that style but ds1 is extremely good. i liked that game so much i got a tattoo inspired by it.

theres only a few newbie tips you need:
1. try rolling. a lot.
2. gear and build literally doesnt matter you can beat the game wearing literally any armor using any weapon. i guess put points in endurance early on if youre worried.
2a. every weapon has different attacks and animations and poo poo so certain weapons will swipe horizontally or vertically depending on attack and that makes a difference
3. theres not a ton of signposting in this game by intention, so if you keep getting murdered by poo poo, maybe try a different place for a while
4. dont look poo poo up. this game extremely brought back my feeling of being in elementary school when pokemon came out and every day at recess we'd discuss things we found that day and how to catch this or that. it is really loving cool to just explore and find poo poo in this game

the game is challenging until it isn't. youll click at some point and then just fly through the entire rest of the game.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also please post trip reports. this is exactly the kind of game i find extremely rewarding to watch others play in real life and figure things out in real time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
counterpoint, play dark souls however the hell you like. I played it with a lot of foreknowledge from streams and I still had a blast, the bosses are great and even the enemies leading up are a real challenge

re: rolling, my best tip is that it’s usually best to roll *past* enemies rather than to try and roll backwards. I hate dark souls 2 because they “fixed” this by making enemies spin like a turnstile

it’s a great game though. I love it because you can succeed by both building up avatar power over time, or by building up your own skill. try playing different builds!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

in ds1 i went with a generic strength build and used the zweihander which was fun because you can stunlock a lot of enemies with it (you can also get it at the very beginning of the game if you're brave, and remains one of the best end game swords). in 2 they added the power stance mechanic so i did a dual scimitar/rapier dexterity build, and in 3 i went full pyromancer. it's a lot of fun

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 21, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ds2 is so frustrating - at least now. i remember liking it back when it came out but leading up to elden ring i was playing through all of em.

ds1 of course is great, ds3 is loving amazing, bloodborne is cool, demons souls still god tier (esp the ps5 remaster) but ds2? jank, ugly, sounds like poo poo, tuned way too difficult

i was SL150 with a hex build and was going through the DLC for the first time so i did the fire place and just... annoying. i loving hated it. uninstalled.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Silver Alicorn posted:

counterpoint, play dark souls however the hell you like. I played it with a lot of foreknowledge from streams and I still had a blast, the bosses are great and even the enemies leading up are a real challenge

re: rolling, my best tip is that it’s usually best to roll *past* enemies rather than to try and roll backwards. I hate dark souls 2 because they “fixed” this by making enemies spin like a turnstile

it’s a great game though. I love it because you can succeed by both building up avatar power over time, or by building up your own skill. try playing different builds!

yeah this is honestly the right answer. play it however youd like

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think I have all of the souls games and each has 3-15 minutes in them because I have enough frustrating things in a day and getting good at it doesn’t make some racist gamer in Iowa throw his keyboard through a wall

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i finally started getting into red stone this week. i built a little trash disposal where you put garbage into a chest and if you pull the lever next to it it'll toss everything inside into a lava pit. it was real gratifying when i finally got it working, just about the same rush as when i get a difficult bit of code working. so now of course i'm just thinking of all the new things i can build with it

my friend built an automated tram station. you enter the building and press a button which dispenses a mine cart. if you miss the mine cart a switch detects it and routes it back into the chest it was originally dispensed from. if you get in there's a series of junctions where you push a button on the left or right and the signs above them will tell you what your destination will be. it's great

gently caress now i'm seriously considering recording some walkthroughs of the different bases / cool things we've all built and posting them here

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i love how they do armor in dark souls. it's not as simple as bigger armor = take less damage, wearing heavy stuff will actually make you run slower and roll *way* slower. but it will also allow you to take heavier hits without getting your actions interrupted. there is an advantage/trade-off to almost everything

another newbie tip: use your shield a lot

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

the only forewarning you really need to know, which obviously doesn't even apply that much anymore because so many games have copied this mechanic now that it's fairly common, is to learn about how the iframes work before you really jump into it. this is a brick wall that a lot of people run into because it's not really obvious with how otherwise unforgiving the game is and it doesn't make any effort to explain it to you at all

in fact get used to the game not explaining *anything* to you at all. so generally try to figure things out on your own but don't feel bad at all if you need to fire up a wiki from time to time

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i finally started getting into red stone this week. i built a little trash disposal where you put garbage into a chest and if you pull the lever next to it it'll toss everything inside into a lava pit. it was real gratifying when i finally got it working, just about the same rush as when i get a difficult bit of code working. so now of course i'm just thinking of all the new things i can build with it

my friend built an automated tram station. you enter the building and press a button which dispenses a mine cart. if you miss the mine cart a switch detects it and routes it back into the chest it was originally dispensed from. if you get in there's a series of junctions where you push a button on the left or right and the signs above them will tell you what your destination will be. it's great

gently caress now i'm seriously considering recording some walkthroughs of the different bases / cool things we've all built and posting them here

i never got super into minecraft, but valheim, satisfactory and factorio all scratch that designing itch for me in great ways

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i think yahtzee's review of ds1 honestly sums the whole thing up best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STrYyhEwkbY

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

start with dark souls 1.

Silver Alicorn posted:

counterpoint, play dark souls however the hell you like.

counterpoint to both of these, don't play dark souls at all

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i never got super into minecraft, but valheim, satisfactory and factorio all scratch that designing itch for me in great ways

valheim was great and i can't wait until the game is finally released for real. that was a ton of fun playing with all my friends during lockdown

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

thanks for all the info and tips everyone. might start playing DS1 this weekend, we'll see.

also please post trip reports. this is exactly the kind of game i find extremely rewarding to watch others play in real life and figure things out in real time.

i do most of my video james posting on twitter so if i do play it then that is where it'll probably end up. only downside is you might see my posts. https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think I have all of the souls games and each has 3-15 minutes in them because I have enough frustrating things in a day and getting good at it doesn’t make some racist gamer in Iowa throw his keyboard through a wall

you rang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Fool posted:

so I was looking at this last night

it says it includes 1 and 2 but the launcher starts off with 3 and I don’t see a way to select which one you’re playing

how do you make sure you’re starting with the first campaign?

I'm not at my PC to check but in the main menu there's a place to switch campaigns, it may be under a heading that's literally called campaign. you'll know it when you find it, there are entries for hitman, hitman 2 and hitman 3