Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Funnier and more tasteful than Meat Loaf

https://deadline.com/2022/01/louie-anderson-dead-obituary-comedian-baskets-family-feud-emmy-winner-1234917040/

quote:

Comedian, game show host and three-time Emmy winner Louie Anderson has died at the age of 68.

The Baskets star passed away in Las Vegas Friday morning, where he had entered hospital earlier this week for treatment of diffuse large B cell lymphoma, a form of cancer, his longtime publicist Glenn Schwartz told Deadline.

A constant presence on stage and screen since the mid-1980s, Anderson won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 2016 for his role as Christine Baskets, the mother of the Zach Galifianakis portrayed Chip and Dale on the FX series. The actor was actually nominated in the category over three consecutive years starting in 2016 for his Baskets performance. Anderson also won two Daytime Emmys for Outstanding Performer In An Animated Program for Fox’s Life with Louie in 1997 and 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat tough day for celebs I guess. Whose next?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress! Well, that sucks.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sources say Louie had recently acquired a pet cat. Curious.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyI9Mz45Kqo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh no, he was honestly the greatest actor in Baskets. He played the role of a boomer mom perfectly.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
He was too good. You forgot there was a man in there. RIP

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I thought someone was making a bad Meat Loaf/Louie Anderson joke but nope.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

unlimited shrimp posted:

I thought someone was making a bad Meat Loaf/Louie Anderson joke but nope.

God did the joke.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Rip he was really hilarious on Baskets

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Pour one out for a real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXLe6aErOc

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
he finally made it to the big fryer in teh sky, rip dude

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
If you haven't watched Baskets yet, do so. Louie steals the show.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Meatloaf, Louie Anderson... who's next???

What do the celebs know that we don't????? Why are they all dying all of a sudden??

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah, there's really no parallel. He mops the floor with everyone else on the show except maybe Alex Morris and theirs were the only characters I cared about by the end of the show.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Ok but what was his political views? Reserving condolences until I have more info

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Well this sucks.

Louie made one of my favorite Christmas cartoons in which he and his kid brother tried to bring Christmas cheer to an old lady living alone. Go to 18:11 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rDmZPwt7w

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Pouring out a YooHoo for him today. :haibrow:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Glen Glen finally got him. RIP

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:rip: Seemed like a good guy who made some good shows.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Meatloaf, Louie Anderson... who's next???

What do the celebs know that we don't????? Why are they all dying all of a sudden??

Tom Arnold better watch his back

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
At times his character & performance on Baskets really reminded me of my own mom. And he was at or near the top of the short list of "clean" comedians who could still make me laugh.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Louie Anderson > Meatloaf

RIP

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember having a general positive impression of Louie Anderson and then when his current show was out and he was being showered in accolades and I found out he had had basically the worst childhood ever I was like "oh, well, drat, good job making it man"

Then today I saw "Louie Anderson in hospital with blood cancer" and I was like ... yeah I do not know much about cancers but that sounds super like the end. Miss you already incredibly strange-looking person, monitor back on

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Gonna start asking the ants in my lovely apartment if any of them are Louie.

Also, gently caress cancer. RIP.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seeing goons love Louie really makes me :unsmith:

He wrote a book called "The F Word" about growing up with a really mean dad that I 100% related to and it made me tear up in public as I read it in a Borders so I could avoid paying for it.

RIP Louie.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ChesterJT posted:

Where can you see this now? Is it streaming anywhere?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

rip. I don't give a poo poo that meat loaf is dead.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Liquid Chicken posted:

Well this sucks.

Louie made one of my favorite Christmas cartoons in which he and his kid brother tried to bring Christmas cheer to an old lady living alone. Go to 18:11 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rDmZPwt7w

Fun fact about Life With Louie: the show ended because Louie, who was in the closet due to his low self-confidence brought on by years of teasing about his weight, was being blackmailed by somebody threatening to expose Louie for being gay. Louie eventually paid the blackmailer $100k but they demanded more so Louie went to the authorities. Somehow the tabloids found out about it all and because culture wasn't as accepting back then his cartoon was canceled.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I like Meat LLoaf. He made some banger songs and he was a good actor. Oh is this thread not about musician and actor Meat "Michael Lee Aday" Loaf? Well maybe the piece of poo poo OP shouldn't have made it about musician and actor Meat Loaf then.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tumble posted:

Fun fact about Life With Louie: the show ended because Louie, who was in the closet due to his low self-confidence brought on by years of teasing about his weight, was being blackmailed by somebody threatening to expose Louie for being gay. Louie eventually paid the blackmailer $100k but they demanded more so Louie went to the authorities. Somehow the tabloids found out about it all and because culture wasn't as accepting back then his cartoon was canceled.

Wow, that loving sucks. I genuinely loved that show as a kid.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought Life with Louie was dull overall but it did have its moments.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
He was in a movie called The Wrong Guys that I enjoyed as a kid. But looking at the trailer it makes me angry at the filmmakers for making it since it seems terrible.

One time Louie was in LA at a restaurant and Eddie Murphy came in with his entourage. Before Louie left he told the waiter to put Eddie's bill on his credit card. Eddie called him later to thank him and told him he'd make a part for him in a movie he was working on. And that's how Louie got to be in Coming to America.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Tumble posted:

Wowwie I did not know about this.

Hollywood and celebrities looooove to pretend they're so open-minded and progressive but they are so full of poo poo.

I watched Contact (1997) a couple weeks ago and saw this on imdb trivia:

quote:

Jodie Foster failed to receive a much-anticipated Oscar nomination for her performance in this movie. Some have speculated that this is because she was pregnant and refused to name the father, a fact viewed by many as confirming a lesbianism she never recognized to the public eye at those time. The stigma could very well explain why she was snubbed. Foster finally came out the closet during her acceptance speech at 2013 Golden Globes ceremony where she received a Cecil B. DeMille Award by her carrier, putting end for the longtime rumors about her sexual orientation. Although the paternity of her children Charles and Kit has been attributed to casting director and producer Randy Stone, it never was confirmed nor denied officially.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

for her carrier

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Where can you see this now? Is it streaming anywhere?

It's on Hulu. Was rewatching it recently.

I absolutely loved him in Baskets, this is a bummer.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

Louie tells it as he cancelled his projects because he didn't want it to get out.

He had a tremendous amount of Catholic guilt and never really accepted it as part of himself, and really didn't want his family to know. I can relate to the Catholic guilt part and it really is quite moving and makes him more all the more relatable. And his loss all the more saddening.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
gently caress BOBBYS WORLD THAT PIECE OF poo poo

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Rip in peace

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
louie was alright but howard mandell can go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I thought Life with Louie was dull overall but it did have its moments.

It's blandness kind of made it special. I can't imagine such a low-key slice of life show airing on a Saturday morning these days.