Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
invade the hive drones. there is only one true communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

admittedly i got the lions share of our starting island but only 4 of my 9 bases are on that island whilst 3 of improbable lobster's 3 bases are on the island! like just expand my dude!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i'm working on it, dammit

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just lol if you aren't building a base on every other tile

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

PittTheElder posted:

Just lol if you aren't building a base on every other tile

ICS is no fun even if it is the optimal civ2 (and civ2-alike) strat

i appreciate the organic and natural city distribution in YOSSMAC

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Look you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

I agree it is miserable, and not even actually optimal in SMAC, but it is very funny to me that you could do it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Look you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

I agree it is miserable, and not even actually optimal in SMAC, but it is very funny to me that you could do it

I mean it seems reasonable for the hive…

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

more of a morganites thing imo, what with being a turbo-mega-space-capitalist

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

invade the hive drones. there is only one true communism

hive drones and free drones are under my protection, any aggression to them is an aggression to me

it will take literally 5 weeks to marshal my forces in defence so lmfao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure anyone has anything like ICBMs, but if they exist the university or spartans have them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Where even are we on the tech tree

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

one sec i've got the save, been meaning to play it, will try and review the tech situation whilst i'm at it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OK so here is the current "maximum" tech level for each faction. note that i'm not taking into account how many techs the factions has researched at the relevant level, just what's the highest tech level of all the techs they've researched:

• Gaians (Glorgnole): 5
  • Hive (Me): 5
  • Believers (Boiled Water): 4
  • Drones (Improbable Lobster): 4
  • University (Luigi Thirty): 4
  • Pirates (SmokaDustbowl): 3
  • Spartans (anthonypants): 3

now it's worth noting that tech level alone isn't exactly a great metric as tech progression isn't entirely linear. for example, after researching Centauri Empathy (E3) you can in theory research Centauri Meditation (E5). however we are playing with the Blind Research setting enabled which means we cannot pick which tech to research next, rather we can only select what areas to focus on: Build, Conquer, Discover and Explore (you can select more than one).

all this aside, here is the tech tree with tech levels three (Red), four (Yellow) and five (Green) highlighted which might give some idea of what we're up to:

as you can see we're barely one-third through the tech tree. in fact those factions that are on tech level five are only on that level with a single tech (Centauri Empathy E5).

also worth noting that i personally have gained much tech through trade with the Gaians and others. good stuff!

edit: just realised i should have measured top tech level and number of techs at that level, no idea why i didn't it's trivial to do via datalinks, if no one else has i'll do it next time the save comes around. also in datalinks it shows % progress meters for each tech discipline (build, conquer, discover and explore) so that might be interesting.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 21, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also Planet Busters (ICBMs) require orbital space flight, a level 6 tech, which itself requires Air Power and Pre Sentient agorithms. No one is even close to those techs yet. However since Industrial Automation has been discovered, if the Drones or whoever built the Weather Paradigm could start pumping out supply crawlers to mine bore-holes for energy and start rocketing through the tech tree at a pretty good pace so that within 25 or so turns the first Planet Busters could exist.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also Planet Busters (ICBMs) require orbital space flight, a level 6 tech, which itself requires Air Power and Pre Sentient agorithms. No one is even close to those techs yet. However since Industrial Automation has been discovered, if the Drones or whoever built the Weather Paradigm could start pumping out supply crawlers to mine bore-holes for energy and start rocketing through the tech tree at a pretty good pace so that within 25 or so turns the first Planet Busters could exist.

IIRC Gaians got Weather Paradigm. also there's a general agreement to not abuse Supply Crawler mechanics because that just makes it lame

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

IIRC Gaians got Weather Paradigm. also there's a general agreement to not abuse Supply Crawler mechanics because that just makes it lame

there's a surprisingly broad spectrum of supply crawler cheese. i think the point at which it becomes eyebrow-raise-worthy is stuff like custom-designing a really expensive crawler variant, stocking up on them across a bunch of bases, and then using the "contribute minerals towards X" option to blow through a secret project in 1 turn.

i mention this partly to divert any attention and scrutiny away from the gaians' rather crawler-heavy mineral infrastructure -- it's a good way to get more minerals to sea bases that otherwise get stuck building rec commons for 20 turns!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also in datalinks it shows % progress meters for each tech discipline (build, conquer, discover and explore) so that might be interesting.

i have some partial info from this, as of year 2247 (just for the factions the gaians have network data on):

Gaians:
Explore: 40%
Discover: 30%
Build: 36%
Conquer: 23%

Hive:
Explore: 40%
Build: 36%
Conquer: 23%

Spartans:
Explore: 27%
Discover: 25%
Build: 27%
Conquer: 19%

University:
Explore: 36%
Build: 31%
Conquer: 33%

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

there's a surprisingly broad spectrum of supply crawler cheese. i think the point at which it becomes eyebrow-raise-worthy is stuff like custom-designing a really expensive crawler variant, stocking up on them across a bunch of bases, and then using the "contribute minerals towards X" option to blow through a secret project in 1 turn.

i mention this partly to divert any attention and scrutiny away from the gaians' rather crawler-heavy mineral infrastructure -- it's a good way to get more minerals to sea bases that otherwise get stuck building rec commons for 20 turns!

such abuse of Planet is uncharacteristic for Lady Deirdre! perhaps you are under the influence of a Probe Team? if not maybe you should share the Crawlers i assume you've deployed in Garland Crater?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

this would be the "planned/democratic/wealth" version of Deirdre, rather than the (canonical) "green/police state/power" version

i'll send some over, just give me a couple turns/months

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i sent planetary archnemesis and forums poster anthonypants an unban cert around christmas so they could come here and commentate directly instead of embedding what they would have posted in their CC'd save passing emails, but i don't think they've applied it yet

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

gog somehow doesnt have a macos client for this. is this easy to get going on a modern mac?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Casual Encountess posted:

gog somehow doesnt have a macos client for this. is this easy to get going on a modern mac?

only option is a virtual machine

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just played my turn, i destroyed a Mining Platform west of the Spartan base Fleet Anchorage. take THAT!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i moved my supply crawlers that were just hanging out doing nothing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just played and sent the save, we're on MY 2250 which means we've played 150 turns! also i crunched the numbers, this game started in November 2017 so it's been running for ~1,500 days. This means we've managed to play a whole turn every ~10.5 days. not bad, IMO!

also here's the current strategic view of Planet in MY 2250:

• whilst not fully exploited the Spartans (anthonypants) control a formidable amount of territory as do the Believers (Boiled Water) who have been suspiciously quite!
  • congrats to the Drones (Improbable Lobster) for establishing their first base on another island!
  • University (Luigi Thirty) has been cultivating a nice position along Pholus Ridge on their own private island, very dope.
  • Gaians (Glorgnole), the current faction dominance leader, have an extremely consolidated territory with maximised resource exploitation.
  • Pirates (SmokaDustBowl) have some primo spots including a single base on land at the Manifold Nexus which they expertly sniped!
  • aaaannndddd the Hive (Me) had a burst of expansion out westward in the last ~20 turns which has now slowed due to difficulties in reinforcing the new settlements.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also here's the current strategic view of Planet in MY 2250:

• Pirates (SmokaDustBowl) have some primo spots including a single base on land at the Manifold Nexus which they expertly sniped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnIBxLsPAQ

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so ive got the save but have been...distracted...by a certain "other game" which rhymes with "seldom bing"

anyway, ill make sure to play and send it tonite

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
improbable lobster has the save and they're gonna do it tonight

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
is the save finally dead?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

is the save finally dead?

Pile of Garbage has it, in theory!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol yeah sorry my bad i'll take care of it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sorry again been not the best recently but ive now done the needful

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hope the save is still moving around. i promise when i get it i'll play it promptly!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

hope the save is still moving around. i promise when i get it i'll play it promptly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt96posU53M

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i think that forums poster luigi thirty has it still

e: looks like i neglected to send my save status ping pm -- hopefully we can get it moving again

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 4, 2022

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if anyone is wondering the PBEM game is not dead. i just played my turn as Hive for MY 2253 and sent the save on. thanks for the Supply Crawlers, Glorgnole!

edit: is there anyway to see like a combat log or something? it's annoying to get an alert at the start of the turn saying i lost X battles but i cant for the life of me work out what units died.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i sent my save today! my brief update is that all my drones are suddenly rioting.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

edit: is there anyway to see like a combat log or something? it's annoying to get an alert at the start of the turn saying i lost X battles but i cant for the life of me work out what units died.

if there's a way to see this i haven't found it yet. it's pretty confusing sometimes!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

i sent my save today! my brief update is that all my drones are suddenly rioting.

prolly in solidarity with RMT union! hasta la victoria siempre!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I've tried playing alpha centauri recently, mostly because I've stumbled over this thread here.

I'll always lose track of all my units at turn 50 or later, without having any "feeling" about how many units i've got and where that army _is_.
Units in the field are quickly eyeballed, but any units in bases require me to check every single unit.

Is there some map overlay showing me unitcounts or something? Something like "hide bases but show units"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hey someone remind me to actually post a recap of the last 6(?) months of game sometime in the next few days. the spartans and the gaians have had an actual shooting war, and it's a lot more interesting now that we have kinda substantial military forces. i believe the hive went out and got in a fight too, but pile of garbage would have to speak to that instead of me.

i've had a lot of stuff going on in my life and apparently my coping mechanism is to simply neglect various responsibilities. apologies for contributing to the glacial-rear end pace of this game.