Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1484556399262814210?s=21

I wonder if the purchase caught them off guard and they’re doing it because they worry it might be now or never. Regardless I hope this goes well even if I know ABK is gonna fight this with every fiber of their being

Yeah hopefully this encourages the A Better ABK people to roll in so some momentum builds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gwaihir posted:

yeah I know it's been posted plenty of times but bobby's absurd contract gets him a 300 million dollar payday in pretty much any possible situation other than "convicted of actual murder"

Even if Bobby didn't get the payout I'm sure he has enough assets that it doesn't matter. Short of seizing all his assets for some reason there's nothing that could happen to him that would have any meaningful consequences.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DC Murderverse posted:

I wonder if the purchase caught them off guard and they’re doing it because they worry it might be now or never.

It pretty much is now or never. If you think ABK hiring bush era torture ghouls to run their strikebreaking operation is bad, that's nothing compared to the decades of anti-union machinery Microsoft has built. Right now, workers have the attention of congress and the media and that won't last.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kanos posted:

He doesn't give a single poo poo about his reputation among the proles. Some dudes on reddit calling him Bobby Nodick and photoshopping devil horns on him, or Jim Sterling making a video on how much of a douchebag he is; these things don't even register on the radar of someone with his level of influence and money. The reputation he cares about is his reputation for being a super effective business guy, which is under threat now.

It cannot be overstated - for the last decade plus Bobby Kotick has been the very model of a massively successful CEO. He took a mediocre company and exploded its size and profit margins to a ludicrous degree and has developed a seemingly sustainable profit model(churning CoD games) in an industry famous for turbulent booms and busts. Him being a terrible person doesn't matter at all, because as far as the shareholders and board is concerned he has been doing his job impeccably, and I suspect that is just as much of a reason that they've been hesitant to remove him as contract clauses and good old boys' clubs.

Now that all of the horrible poo poo that has piled up over the years is threatening the money printing machine and miring the company in bad PR and scandal, Kotick's reputation for being a super effective CEO among people who matter is being hit, which is why you see him trying to push the blame onto stuff like Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 being held up because those can be explained away as failures of the employees rather than failures of the executives.

The other half of this is in retirement, most guys like him want to serve on boards. Charitable foundations, other companies, etc. It lets them keep the prestige of being a CEO without spending as much time/energy, especially facing the public. It's how you stay a part of high society, going to galas and dinners and whatnot.

But when your reputation goes from "Highly effective CEO" to "Was at the helm during widespread harassment, discrimination, and misconduct." it makes it a lot harder for any charitable foundation or company to invite you to that kind of position unless they want to invite some very pointed questions.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
His Golden Parachute has been discussed to death here, but I'm genuinely curious about the non-financial fallout he might face. Like, surely his name is radioactive by now no matter how much cash he gets on the way out, right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DanielCross posted:

His Golden Parachute has been discussed to death here, but I'm genuinely curious about the non-financial fallout he might face. Like, surely his name is radioactive by now no matter how much cash he gets on the way out, right?

I wouldn't bet on it. You don't reach and maintain a position of power like that for an extended period of time without making a lot of high level friends and acquaintances who will be totally willing to overlook this kind of thing. To become truly radioactive to other rich people you generally need to participate in a scheme that fucks over other rich people, which he absolutely has not.

The Microsoft buyout forcing him out is likely going to be the only consequence the man faces for any of this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
yeah no one's gonna complain to the friends of the kennedy center board about kotick in a couple years and get ANY traction

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kotick will still be on the board of The Coca-Cola Company. He'll probably also keep his spot on Call of Duty Endowment's board, which he founded. Plus he's a trustee for LA County Museum of Art and Harvard-Westlake, one of the top-ranked private schools in the US.

He'll either quietly retire or go into consulting.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

There’s nothing “promising” about giving the sexual harasser CEO a massive payout and golden parachute from the company instead of letting him face the ramifications of a unionized workforce.

In addition to all of the above posted, the literal "best case scenario" outcome of every employee unionizing strictly in terms of "punishment for Bobby Kotick" would be...he leaves and takes his existing golden parachute. Maybe even puts "led Actiblizz through a wildly popular unionization process" on his resume and goes on a speaking circuit.

e: It really needs to be emphasized how much "there are no consequences for rich people unless they directly gently caress with other rich people" is a statement of fact, not a trite "ha ha capitalism" joke

Shooting Blanks posted:

But when your reputation goes from "Highly effective CEO" to "Was at the helm during widespread harassment, discrimination, and misconduct." it makes it a lot harder for any charitable foundation or company to invite you to that kind of position unless they want to invite some very pointed questions.

Just makes you more likely to be the "unpopular CEO that's hired explicitly to take the brunt of the bad PR when the board wants to do something they know ahead of time will go over like a lead balloon", probably

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Except the fact that Starfield and all other future Bethesda games (except Ghostwire Tokyo) were made exclusive.

There’s nothing “promising” about giving the sexual harasser CEO a massive payout and golden parachute from the company instead of letting him face the ramifications of a unionized workforce. Microsoft is using PR speak to signal a bright diverse future for the company because this way they can convince the workers they don’t “need” a union because that’s the only thing the workers can do that would actually challenge them. This is the best possible outcome for all the creeps at A/B.

The ONLY way Bobby would see real consequences out of this is if the employees dragged him out of his home and beat him in the street

And he'd STILL have his golden parachute

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

lih posted:

Nintendo would just not be interested in being bought unless they end up in a catastrophic & desperate position where they're looking at having to exit the console market or something.

Nintendo is so cash rich in reserve it would take like three Wii Us in a row to make them even sweat

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Anno posted:

Idk if there’s a % breakdown anywhere, but I don’t think this has been true since Sony got marketing rights last gen and outsold Xbox by such a huge margin. It’s big on both consoles.

A real opportunity is to try to revitalize the franchise on PC. Releasing on PCGP/Steam would be a good start.

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1483439989832642565?s=20

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1483440209865764868?s=20

A few days ago but I can't believe madden still sells that well, hasn't that game just been roster updates for over a decade :lol:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Mr. Crow posted:

A few days ago but I can't believe madden still sells that well, hasn't that game just been roster updates for over a decade :lol:

Roster updates, more inconvenient menu navigation and worse music every year, yeah. They apparently removed the orchestral music this time so now I get to play it with absolutely no in game music. Yay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of people for whom Madden is where video games begin and end. Maybe other sports titles, and Call of Duty or Battlefield.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For several years if you wanted to play the cinematic storyline of a young up-and-coming football player trying to make it big, Madden had that for ya

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you don't look at what actually sells in the video game industry outside of Something Awful it's easy to forget that mobile is literally half the market and even what's thought of as mainstream, AAA narrative video games amount to only a fraction of the revenue that FIFA and Call of Duty bring in each year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

If you don't look at what actually sells in the video game industry outside of Something Awful it's easy to forget that mobile is literally half the market and even what's thought of as mainstream, AAA narrative video games amount to only a fraction of the revenue that FIFA and Call of Duty bring in each year.

Yeah, that's totally true, but the AA and AAA market is what drives tech changes in dramatic ways so it's where huge contracts for resources are formed over 5-10 year spans, it's long term money and is contractually intertwined with other sectors and forms of media in a way that the mobile space is not.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Why bother putting in effort when you have a total monopoly on the license/sport? :capitalism: Gridiron football has little appeal outside of the USA so the biggest alternative is the Canadian Football League which currently has nine teams. Then you are down to the joke leagues: The XFL and other wannabes who can only get one or two games into a season before shutting down.

There is college football but that still has issues to work out before games can be made again.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

MH Knights posted:

Why bother putting in effort when you have a total monopoly on the license/sport? :capitalism: Gridiron football has little appeal outside of the USA so the biggest alternative is the Canadian Football League which currently has nine teams. Then you are down to the joke leagues: The XFL and other wannabes who can only get one or two games into a season before shutting down.

There is college football but that still has issues to work out before games can be made again.

Surprisingly enough, the yearly Madden release actually is a ton of effort in my experience. Admittedly, that was years ago, but I doubt things have changed all that much. It’s amazing how little all the crunch shows up as improvements in the end product.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

MH Knights posted:

Just do what devs did in the 8-/16-bit era, and make names up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymWAeqv_-c

Bonus if you make them just different enough from real players to avoid legal complications.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People have occasionally tried making offbrand football games after the EA Sports era began and it never works. Remember Blitz: The League? Or All-Pro Football?

Backbreaker actually got some industry hype for its animation engine but nobody played that either.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 23, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

People have occasionally tried making offbrand football games after the EA Sports era began and it never works. Remember Blitz: The League? Or All-Pro Football?

Konami did well with ISS/ProEvo

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Rarity posted:

Konami did well with ISS/ProEvo

True, Konami is the only competition EA has these days when if comes to FIFA and even they kinda put things on the back burner last year to try to make meaningful changes for the new generation consoles.

American football has a rival game pop up ever now and then, but they tend to get smashed by the madden monster pretty fast. 2K tried to get back into the game with All Pro Football but that didn't work out very well, and a few years back Maximum Football tried to do a DIY teams in any league ruleset which also didn't stick. As much crap as all the big sports makers get, they have to be doing something right to keep people coming back year after year.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

What they're doing right is a monopoly on real team/player likenesses which are the number 1 driver of sport game sales.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Do the Madden games have the Fifa gacha system where you need a 6 star golden Cristiano Renaldo in order to be competitive?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The market for an unlicensed sports game is very small because you’re essentially targeting people who

A) love football
B) want to play a football video game
C) don’t care about specific players or teams and just really love the mechanics of football

being a fan of the sport is mostly about being a fan of a person or a place involved with the sport.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Never played any of those yearly sports games, but do they actually change up the engine/gameplay much, or is it pretty much just a few surface level things, and updating the teams/players to be accurate for the year?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s important to remember when critiquing the sports industry games for their lack of new features or recycling ideas and content that every MADDEN or FIFA has to function both as a dopamine hit for returning sports gamers but also as an onboarding for new sports franchise fans. The Madden that is your 15th Madden that feels the same as the other 14 Maddens will also be millions of kids first Madden that they play with their dad or their aunt for the first time, which is why I’ve never understood the complaints about it being the exact same game every year. Not every game is for the mega enfranchised gaming hobbyist.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Also notably, you don't have to buy every year. I'll drop in on Madden every few years and with five years of incremental updates or whatever, I get a pretty different game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Never played any of those yearly sports games, but do they actually change up the engine/gameplay much, or is it pretty much just a few surface level things, and updating the teams/players to be accurate for the year?

It's kinda like how to an outsider something like Pokemon or Call of Duty doesn't appear to change much each year but if you dive deeper into what the hardcore fans are talking about then there's plenty of important changes for good or ill. Though much like those other examples what the game is on a fundamental level stays the same.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Do the Madden games have the Fifa gacha system where you need a 6 star golden Cristiano Renaldo in order to be competitive?

Every year buy enough FUT coins and roll up to the field with 11 of these guys

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, sports franchises staying pretty much the same year on year isn't that bad imho. At the end of the day, you're not going to suddenly add another football on the pitch just to make things different. And as mentioned above, if you only refresh every few years, you do see the little improvements all around.

Now the predatory shift towards microtransactions with FUT, that's a lot more dodgy in my book. FIFA is pretty bad there, no idea what Madden/NBA are like these days. I long for the olden days of stuff like NBA 2k7 where everything was there and offline: solo street player career, NBA seasons, exhibition games...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i don't think anyone cares that sports games are pretty much just roster updates, what's amazing is that they have trained their audience to buy a whole new video game every year plus new microtransactions. no other genre is that predatory except mobile.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no other genre is that predatory except mobile.

military shooters have been at it just as long and just as aggressively. The Battle Pass system is totally ubiquitous now, every shooter is a live service now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Turns out the Unity CEO saying: "We work with the military but not in any capacity that would cause loss of life" turned out to be a lie. Who would have thought?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgdv8q/unity-dogfight-simulation-air-force-kill-chain

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i don't think anyone cares that sports games are pretty much just roster updates, what's amazing is that they have trained their audience to buy a whole new video game every year plus new microtransactions. no other genre is that predatory except mobile.

A lot of the audience of those games specifically play those games and not much else - same with games like Call of Duty. If 90% of your playtime is FIFA, buying a new FIFA every year isn't so much of a hassle.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1484556399262814210?s=21

I wonder if the purchase caught them off guard and they’re doing it because they worry it might be now or never. Regardless I hope this goes well even if I know ABK is gonna fight this with every fiber of their being

Microsoft is pretty famous for its union-busting efforts, so you're absolutely right in saying this is a now-or-never move for the Raven QA people. I hope other teams and other studios follow suit before it's too late. :ohdear:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1485613613591285761?s=21

It worked?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

Turns out the Unity CEO saying: "We work with the military but not in any capacity that would cause loss of life" turned out to be a lie. Who would have thought?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgdv8q/unity-dogfight-simulation-air-force-kill-chain

John Riccitiello specifically said that Unity wouldn't work on projects that would lead to "direct loss of life", leaving him with a very flexible out in the form of "indirect loss of life". It's just a training simulator, nothing happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It's a show of good faith to put pressure on ActiBlizz to come to the negotation table. They've already said they'll take further action if (ie. when) ActiBlizz don't co-operate