Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
people say this to me often. i don't think it is meant to be kind. on the one hand, i look like hammered poo poo almost all the time, and don't care what i look like except if i am attending some event at which i do not want to offend the hosts by looking like poo poo, out of politeness as a guest. church services, weddings, funerals, gala whatever, i will properly groom myself and bust out my "sunday best" formal-wear, which i keep in its own closet so that it doesnt smell like stale beer and cig butts. and i keep it meticulously clean. and yes i bathe every day because being dirty and greasy feels like poo poo, but bear with me......i haven't shaved in a couple months, haven't had a hair cut in two years, when i am working on the farm i wear whatever i need to wear, and when im done i put on a bathrobe.

BUT if i am going somewhere decent, i will coif myself and wear my gold tie (full windsor motherbitches) black coat and long coat if it is cold

i suppose my point is, im not married, have no children, or anyone around me who i feel a need to show a good side to, ah gently caress im going smoke wait,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Slaughter
Sep 3, 2008
yes its a compliment

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I take it as a compliment but it basically means, "I was not aware you could look like you weren't homeless".

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it means you look like poo poo more often than not

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

It’s a backhanded compliment that assholes use. I wouldn’t say it to anyone I didn’t know well (as a joke).

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its probably also sincere

cut your beard and hair cowboy, lets see them freckles

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You clean up well for your age

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I believe that's what they call "fighting words"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You look tired OP

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's that special kind of rude politeness. Like "oh hey, you smell nice today"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"You clean up well" sounds like "wow, what a polishable turd you are" to me, tbh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Have a "good one" op

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zippy the Bummer posted:

people say this to me often.

:same:

:hfive:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

every rose has a thorn OP

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Goons think all social interactions are attacks on their person. :thunk:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It's not a compliment.

"You filth up well" is a compliment.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's like telling someone they wrote an unusually good post

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Heh, bet you had to waste half a roll for that post buddy! Good postan

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nice post...for a girl

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Heh, bet you had to waste half a roll for that post buddy! Good postan

:argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
backhanded compliments are still compliments

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
nobody has ever said it to me

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
That was a question, you were at a job interview for a cleaning service OP.
Sounds like you didn't get it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
now if you piss into a pyrex measuring cup and you piss two cups worth to toss out the window, and then you are slow dancing at a wedding with some member of the bridal party, and mention that uncircumsied penises look like those worms that live in your eyelash pores and come out at night while you sleep to eat your dead skin, would that come across as dry humour or crass and vulgar

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bless your heart OP

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
One of the very first times I ever went out on a date (this was the late 1970s), the young woman I went out with had obviously worked very hard to make sure her makeup was perfect. She looked amazing. I attempted to tell her that I appreciated her efforts and how great she looked as a result. How did the compliment come out?

"With all that makeup on your face, it looks okay!"

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
did you leave a mix cassette tape in her locker

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You working class or summat

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Genesplicer posted:

One of the very first times I ever went out on a date (this was the late 1970s), the young woman I went out with had obviously worked very hard to make sure her makeup was perfect. She looked amazing. I attempted to tell her that I appreciated her efforts and how great she looked as a result. How did the compliment come out?

:catstare: How old were you?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
15 or 16

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Genesplicer posted:

I've said worse to women.

When I was four years old I remember riding on my great aunts back around the living room, her on all fours. We were having a laugh, really. My mother walked in and saw what was happening, I threw my arms up in the air and said "I was on a donkey!"

Fast forward some 30 years and we were at a memorial service for my dead uncle. I hadn't seen her in over a decade. Both of us were outside having a smoke and I said "Oh hey, Margaret! I couldn't ride you like a donkey now."

The words left my mouth before I could process them. Luckily, she seen the funny side.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sophy Wackles posted:

Goons think all social interactions are attacks on their person. :thunk:
this is why bullying is bad
you end up with adults who still process everything through the lens of paranoid social insecurity

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Pics of before and after or gtfo seriously.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Genesplicer posted:

I'm like 10 years younger than you so it was the late 1980's for me, and I hung out with and dated people who dressed like The Cure, which means *constant* hairspray and makeup fixes, like every 5 or 10 minutes. Walk in to the dance club, go right to the back mirror and spend 10 minutes fixing hair and face, despite spending an hour doing this before leaving. This went as much for guys as it did for girls.

:forkbomb:

edit - this looks pretty accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZVZVMIG7g

although most of the dudes in the above vid look like they are trying to look hot and hook up

which i guess is what we all were doing back then

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2022

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's a sort of backhanded compliment that you are handsome but you do need to start taking care of yourself

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Who What Now posted:

It's a sort of backhanded compliment that you are handsome but you do need to start taking care of yourself

That's how I take it. I appreciate it overall.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you clean up good

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

cant polish a turd

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh how articulate you are, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
listen

i have six bars of sandalwood soap. six loving bars that i bought online by accident becuse f christmas