Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm pretty sure the name "Games Done Quick" is a play off of "Quake Done Quick," a popular recam of a run from the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24izUSj1xY

(It's a cool video in its own right, with some neat tech)

I think the SDA started with those, along with some Doom WAD speedruns.

Also from Omnigamer's short book (linked in above post)

quote:

The <name> Done Quick moniker was carried over from the
early Quake Done Quick projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Danzel Glovington posted:

No way there was a successful charity speedrunning marathon prior to CGDQ, and if there was, it had to have been on a smaller scale (no live broadcast, like an event in an arcade for marathon score competitions or something).

The one that people might remember, and the one that Uyama and other GDQ founders and workers used to talk about was Desert Bus: the charity marathon where people would take turns playing the same file of Desert Bus while people did skits and dances and stuff for charity.

For a few years Desert Bus was considered the highest earning gaming marathon for charity, but that didn't last. Still, that's the one that people talked about during the first few GDQs.

The reason the GDQs are more successful is obvious. It's because of the speedruns. They are such good performances that the event goes beyond a wonderful gathering to fundraise and turns it into gaming's version of Live Aid.
I'd argue there's also another factor, in that speedrunning was a very established thing long before the LRR folks started doing Desert Bus for Hope.
Also, sketch comedy - which is what LRR did back in the day - doesn't have as wide of an appeal on Twitch.

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm pretty sure the name "Games Done Quick" is a play off of "Quake Done Quick," a popular recam of a run from the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24izUSj1xY

(It's a cool video in its own right, with some neat tech)

I think the SDA started with those, along with some Doom WAD speedruns.
So far as I remember, Quake Done Quick was segmented runs (ie. different people running different segments of the game), but I'm pretty sure speed-running precedes that because I remember it being a thing with DOOM demos - which is where SDA got part of its inspiration from.

EDIT: To add to this, DOOM Honorific Titles has a history segment that goes all the way back to January 1994.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 20, 2022

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

GDQ's great staying power and donation generation is because they're tapping into multiple different communities in addition to pulling in casual viewers. Pokemon runs aren't my thing, but drat if they don't pull a ton of money.

Re: Desert Bus For Hope - still happening, last year was the 15th annual, and cracked 1 million for the second year. It's the opposite of a speedrun though, and the gameplay itself isn't really the draw of the stream.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Evil Badman posted:

GDQ's great staying power and donation generation is because they're tapping into multiple different communities in addition to pulling in casual viewers. Pokemon runs aren't my thing, but drat if they don't pull a ton of money.

That's a good point. Most of the other charity marathons I personally remember are hyperspecific, like Desert Bus or "hbomberguy plays DK64 until he goes insane from sleep deprivation". GDQ, even if you're not onboard for what's going on right now you'll check back in the evening to see what's up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

This year's stream has been so great I want to go back and watch some of the old AGDQs and SGDQs. Any stand out runs I should check out, preferably with good/fun commentary? Thanks

Reset's GTA San Andreas run from 2020 is really good unless you find KZ Frew annoying. It's a very long run with lots of wild glitches, a disaster an hour in, and a fun dynamic between the runner and commentator.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I subscribe to a couple of other speedrunning charity YouTube channels (RPG Limit Break and European Speedrunner Assembly), and one thing GDQ has over both of them is polish/presentation. GDQ is just a much more professional-looking product most of the time. Everything from the interface to the hosts to even the runners are generally just that extra step above other groups. Part of that is budget/staffing, part of that is experience.

There are other differences as well, of course. RPGLB is exclusively RPGs which are usually long and not always the most interesting to watch, and ESA has language barrier issues.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zurai posted:

There are other differences as well, of course. RPGLB is exclusively RPGs which are usually long and not always the most interesting to watch

Yeah, I watch the Very Very Long-A-Thon and it can have good stuff but... well, the clue's in the name. If you want to see a guy do ALL of Drakengard and then fail at the final boss fifty times because they're exhausted and it's pure bullshit, or watch them try to find a "short" filler game because the last runner ended three hours earlier than their 18-hour estimate, it's fun. But that comes with a lot of deadtime even with the best games/runners. It's the sort of thing you just leave running and check in if interesting noises start happening.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Reset's GTA San Andreas run from 2020 is really good unless you find KZ Frew annoying. It's a very long run with lots of wild glitches, a disaster an hour in, and a fun dynamic between the runner and commentator.

aneternalenigma also played into the vibe really well as the donation reader. here are some of my favoritest speedruns to watch from some of the more recent GDQs

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island by Calco2 from AGDQ 2021
Super Metroid/A Link to the Past combo randomizer by Andy/Oatsngoats from GDQx2018
Mega Man 7 by PJ from AGDQ2020
Silent Hill 2 by Punchy from AGDQ2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I watch the Very Very Long-A-Thon and it can have good stuff but... well, the clue's in the name. If you want to see a guy do ALL of Drakengard and then fail at the final boss fifty times because they're exhausted and it's pure bullshit, or watch them try to find a "short" filler game because the last runner ended three hours earlier than their 18-hour estimate, it's fun. But that comes with a lot of deadtime even with the best games/runners. It's the sort of thing you just leave running and check in if interesting noises start happening.
Yeah, RRLAT is good background noise, but like you said their scheduling is fairly fuzzy, and it's hard to find runners who are consistently entertaining for the entire 10+ hour run.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bruceski posted:

this is uh kinda how gdq used to be in the early years lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don’t think anything will match blindfolded Wii Punch-Out (SGDQ 19 I think) for me. A concept Id never even considered before, scary moments (and menus!) and a WR to show for it. Sekiro was great this year but drat, that run had some energy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This year's stream has been so great I want to go back and watch some of the old AGDQs and SGDQs. Any stand out runs I should check out, preferably with good/fun commentary? Thanks

CoverMuffin's runs were always entertaining, highlights:

I think in general AGDQ 2020 was a strong event, with quite a few standout runs already mentioned here. It has so far the best (and shortest)

at the other end of the scale, there's the almost 4hr marathon of Open Mode Crowd Control Zelda madness:

There's a lot I'm missing probably, usually too there's at least one run an event that gets me to pick up a game I didn't know about before! I defihitely liked the look of Sekiro and Nioh 2 this time around.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ewe2 posted:

I think in general AGDQ 2020 was a strong event, with quite a few standout runs already mentioned here. It has so far the best (and shortest)

i didn't want to just post half of AGDQ2020 but i could have and it would have been justified. Hotline Miami by Snowfats, Super Hydlide by Mike Uyama, Hoshi wo Miru Hito by dowolf, Super Metroid Impossible by Oatsngoats, and Fallout Anthology by tomatoanus are all also on my best of GDQ playlist

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

literally anything by punchy

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Bonesaw577 - Jak and Daxter 100% - SGDQ 2016 Somewhat controversial, a late night run that went off the rails with the runner and couch just riffing for two hours. Owen Wilson impressions came out, the runner was barred from submitting runs for a year, and GDQ's twitter made an official apology to Air Canada.

TGH - Undertale True Pacifist - AGDQ 2017 good energy run with a tremendous ending and even a post-finish donation from the runner's absent friend. An all-timer as far as finales go.

heyZeusHere'sToast - Bloodborne all bosses - AGDQ 2018 heyZeus is a great commentator as he shows us where all the best ladders of Yharnam are.

MitchFlowerPower v GrandPOOBear - Super Mario Bros 3 All Forts Race - SGDQ 2018 Mitch's console was very sensitive to vibrations, and Poo reflexively stomps the ground in frustration when he screws up.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well if we're going to talk about past GDQs:

Arabian Nights (AGDQ 2018) - Kotti does a magical run of an absolutely head-scratching PC platformer. Probably the best run of Awful Block 2018.

Deadly Towers (AGDQ 2018) - Dragondarch plays an old NES RPG that absolutely hates you.

Lagoon (AGDQ 2016) - PJ plays the SNES game with a drinking problem and the smallest sword known to man.

Virtual Hydlide (AGDQ 2019) - Gyre plays a Saturn roguelike that probably has less frames than seconds in the run.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

For my money at least, Arabian Nights has been the all time greatest awful block segment. Though I haven't watched everything from this year's block yet

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned above, but:

The Chrono Trigger finale is probably the best finale in any of the events, a world record right as GDQ crosses three million dollars. It's just an incredible run with amazing energy across the board.

Bionic Commando Rearmed by PJ is always a hit. AAAAAAAA

The first time Tetris TGM is played at GDQ is also absolute mind boggling, nobody knew what we were about to see.

There's also always Battleblock Theater, which is in the same genre as the infamous Jak and Dakster run because it's a just a solid couple hours of unhinged behavior.

Also the Prince of Persia Sands of Time run is a favorite of mine for another example of a run going off the rails but the energy being fantastic

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 21, 2022

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I feel like the blindfolded Punch-Out from 2014 deserves a mention.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Incoherence posted:

I feel like the blindfolded Punch-Out from 2014 deserves a mention.
I prefer the one right after that: Blindfolded Super-Punch Out by zallard1. I like SPO better in general but 1) zallard is able to finish the game and 2) this has one of my favorite moments in any of these blindfolded runs where he accidentally gets a frame-perfect counterpunch and has to adjust on the fly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSr3aXd4XuQ

And then zallard and sinister1 did 2 players, 1 controller blindfolded MTPO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLGY_BNYLx8

Which was so good that they had a mini-documentary made about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVFlaEO9fI

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

iPodschun posted:

I prefer the one right after that: Blindfolded Super-Punch Out by zallard1. I like SPO better in general but 1) zallard is able to finish the game and 2) this has one of my favorite moments in any of these blindfolded runs where he accidentally gets a frame-perfect counterpunch and has to adjust on the fly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSr3aXd4XuQ

And then zallard and sinister1 did 2 players, 1 controller blindfolded MTPO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLGY_BNYLx8

Which was so good that they had a mini-documentary made about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVFlaEO9fI

The co-op blindfold run was legitimately mind blowing

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Don't forget about TRAG, the comfiest late night run ever through a vintage 90's anime die hard knockoff (SGDQ2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVETQhBLsq4

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Seconding Arabian Nights.

Jajadoo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The SGDQ 2016 Mario RPG run by LackAttack and then the SGDQ 2019 run by Justincredible are both amazing if you want to settle in for three hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPXnXIPfhzY&t=11043s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPXnXIPfhzY&t=11043s

Both runs are well worth watching, Lack's has the feeling of incredibly close knit friends, but Justincredible's run isn't far off in that vibe and it's a better run too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh we're posting our favourites now? There's already been so many good ones, but IIRC not one of my all-time favourites, romscout's blindfolded SOTN adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clBZaz2Dryc&hd=1&t=588s

For a general good times, nice couch banter run I like Brooke's various runs, this Aria of Sorrow one is probably my favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uwIvhtK2-8&hd=1&t=7s

And if you want something that's basically a long-rear end run of excellent couch commentary coupled with a a game that's the absolute favourite of a lot of people, here's a near-8 hour run of Final Fantasy VII!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWgb-Jrk5tQ&hd=1&t=688s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My all time favourite run is this Super mario bros warpless relay from 2017. It's got great commentary, featuring Authorblues and Skybilz, two of my absolute favourites :allears:, super close running, and at one point one of their games messes up which wasn't their fault, so the other runners stop what they're doing, guy restarts and warps to where he was (4-1 in SMB2, I believe) and it continues.

This run is like a warm hug to me; I've watched/listened to it many, many times. I wish there were Mario or Mega Man relays done every year, because they're all so good.

Speaking of, I recommend Mega Man relays, too.

Anyway, this video is wonderful and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbKrMvwzQI

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I completely forgot about this one, and it's sort of funny now because the route has changed so many times since, but this is an all-timer because Cosmo/Narcissa manages to explain the whole history of the category and also what on earth is happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNE28SDXdyQ

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I wanted to see what Narcissa was up to these days so I searched for her YouTube channel and holy poo poo the first like 6 results are like 1hour+ plus videos called "internet legend to internet trashfire" or "the downfall of Narcissa" and poo poo. Did she actually do anything other than be visibly trans online?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

bike tory posted:

Did she actually do anything other than be visibly trans online?

Tweeted about experiencing emotions

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Luv to search literally anything on Youtube and get a couple hourlong hate speech videos in my results

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is there normally an updated post with recommendations to watch? Kid's school was unfortunately closed with a COVID case so I'
can't stream as long or uninterrupted add of normally like to...

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

This page has all-time recommendations from past events, the previous few pages have suggestions for this event: (KennyMan666 will put a compiled list up at some point in the second post)

TeaJay posted:

I'm sure he will be back to compile them. From what I took notes and gathered, and I have yet to see a lot of good stuff towards the end of the week

Metroid Prime Hunters
DKC2 race
Mega Man 2
Bust-a-move 4
Actraiser race
Beyond Oasis
Part Time UFO
Pumpkin Jack
Marathon 2: Durandal *
PAON
We love Katamari
GeoGuessr
Majora's Mask 3D

(awful block)
Zelda's adventure *
Taz-Mania
Zadette
Discworld

Circle of the Moon

Rockman & Forte
Spider-Man 2
Legend of Spyro
Earthbound
Link to the Past

TeaJay posted:

I will shamelessly post this on the new page too

I'm sure he will be back to compile them. From what I took notes and gathered, and I have yet to see a lot of good stuff towards the end of the week

Metroid Prime Hunters
DKC2 race
Mega Man 2
Bust-a-move 4
Actraiser race
Beyond Oasis
Part Time UFO
Pumpkin Jack
Marathon 2: Durandal *
PAON
We love Katamari
GeoGuessr
Majora's Mask 3D

(awful block)
Zelda's adventure *
Taz-Mania
Zadette

Discworld

Circle of the Moon

Rockman & Forte
Spider-Man 2
Wario Land
Legend of Spyro
Earthbound
Link to the Past

Typing of the Dead
GeoGuessr

e: Raiding theblacktastic, nice

Fun fact: back when at the end of SGDQ 2019 ... ? they raided Cypherin and he got so much traffic his poor old laptop couldn't handle it. I've been following him ever since, he's a great guy.

Anfauglir posted:

A few good ones not in the above:

Pokemon Crystal randomizer
Chicory
Spiderman Remaster
SNOLF

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Discworld was def. not part of the Awful Block

Suggestions:
Chicory
Spacegulls
Zelda's Adventure
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Taz-Mania for the worst audio ever
Sonic Jam (Game.com) for a corporate mistake
Discworld
Donut County for the chillest run

Three Dirty Dwarves
We Love Katamari
Typing of the Dead

Oblivion
Stardew Valley
Wave Break

Halo: Combat Evolved for pulling off most of this live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjt8zSIGfk

DizzyBum posted:

It was a very good GDQ.

My recommendations based on what I managed to catch:

DKC2 race - Real tight race, lots of great moments, great commentary.
Sonic 4 Episode II - Simultaneously the most wholesome and cursed GDQ world record.
Pokemon Crystal - Watch this one less for the run itself and more for the amazing couch hangout vibe and fantastic memes. So good it spawned a new GDQ chat emote.
GeoGuessr - It's always a blast to watch people who are better at geography than you will ever be.
Awful Block - It's Awful Block.
Kingdom Hearts II randomizer - Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of work has gone into this randomizer over the last several months, and it's worth it for the end of the race!
crossbeats REV. Sunrise - Showcase of an obscure touchscreen rhythm game with lots of cool tunes.
Rockman & Forte - Really great run of a difficult speedgame, with very good commentary from PJ!
Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories - More "couch hangout" vibes.
Stepmania/NotITG - Showcase of an obscure "challenge mod" subset of a not-as-obscure open-source emulator of the least obscure rhythm game.
EarthBound - Japanese runner does a TAS with their bare hands. Insane RNG manipulation. I'd say this is on the level of NEScardinality's Dragon Warrior run from a couple years back.
Zelda LttP - Legendary Japanese speedrunner hotarubi reminds us that walls are merely a suggestion.
Tetris TGM - It's motherfucking Tetris TGM.
Sekiro - Blindfolded run, with great commentary.

e: omfg I forgot Chicory! Punchy's always a must-see.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Grazi. There's a lot of unsung heroes behind-the-scenes doing cool, cool stuff. It's a very professional operation. There's a reason those credits are so long.

As far as recommendations, here's runs I got to see and liked:
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 - An extremely close race with some top tier players.
  • Mega Man 2 - Quite possibly the best Mega Man 2 run at a GDQ ever. coolkid's amazing.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - Anything blindfolded is worth it.
  • Spider-Man - I just like Spider-Man.
  • Part-Time UFO - Very difficult to master game with a lovely OST.
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3 - The prettiest SNES game.
  • Chicory - Punchy's commentary is the best.
  • Super Mario Galaxy - An interesting race where runners had different routes and techniques. Great commentary.
  • Gargoyle's Quest II - Very pretty NES game with just a perfect run.
  • Final Fantasy XIII - Maybe not great if you've never played the game, but if you have it's a great jRPG run.
  • Three Dirty Dwarves - It's a Lizstar Saturn run. The end.
  • Snolf 0 - Sonic but golf.
  • Sonic R - The best music of the whole marathon.
  • Sonic 4 - I think there's lots of great
  • Pokemon Crystal - It's unwatchable and yet hilarious.
  • Trackmania - Not my thing but the runner was endearing.
  • Halo 5 - I was hosting so I mean
  • Diddy Kong Racing - I was also hosting here but mostly this was just a quick, close race
  • Castlevania: Dracula X - Another close race of a game that is unfairly derided.
  • Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix HD - Also incomprehensible but still a lot of fun.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories - A randomizer that made no sense but was incredibly neat to watch.
  • Portal Reloaded - Msushi is already a legend.
  • Super Mario 3D Land - I'm with those who liked the overactive commentary. Also I like Mario.
  • StepMania/NotITG - :psyduck:
  • Hades - Just made me want to play Hades again.
  • Wario Land: Shake It! - Another fun runner with another underrated game.
  • Halo: Combat Evolved - I hosted but also lots of cool OOB stuff
  • Link to the Past - A legendary runner returns with a legendary run. Also hotarubi followed me on twitter and I'm still elated
  • Sekiro - :psyduck:
  • Portal 2 - See above, re: Portal
  • Deltarune - A great run with a fun, energetic runner
  • Metal Gear Solid - The best in the world on one of the best games of all time.

haha what posted:

another great marathon! cheers to all the runners and tech crew working tirelessly around the clock <3

here were some of my favourite runs that i managed to catch:

sunday
-metroid prime: hunters
-mega man 2
-mgs 2 tanker blindfolded

monday
-kena
-chicory
-crash team racing
-webbed
-super monkey ball: banana mania race
-pumpkin jack

tuesday
-ratchet & clank (2002) ng+
-dead rising
-paon beyond the pien

wednesday
-sonic 4 episode 2 coop
-pokémon crystal key item randomizer race
-slay the spire
-geoguessr
-shootmania storm
-trackmania
-halo 5 legendary

thursday
i missed awful block but by all accounts great as usual
-discworld
-half life 2
-lost judgment
-crossbeats rev sunrise
-ynglet

friday
-marble it up
-yugioh forbidden memories 15 card draw race
-portal reloaded
-dark souls all bosses race
-stepmania showcase w/ dancepad
-hades all weapons race

saturday
-wario land shake it
-earthbound
-new vegas all unique weapons
-halo legendary
-link to the past all bosses (no eg)
-sekiro blindfolded
-portal 2 inbounds
-metal gear solid all bosses extreme

see u next mission :cheers:

ewe2 posted:

I missed heaps during the week so there's a bunch I have to go back to, but the highlights:

Tuesday

- NieR Automata run was educational, I'd never seen it speedrun before, let alone raced, lots of interesting skips
- Dead Rising was yeah zombies but the runner made it an entertaining watch

Thursday

- Half-Life 2 run was the fastest ever at a GDQ, shaving even more off dialogue cutscenes, mostly doing without boats and cars altogether, it's incredible what they're doing with it now.

Friday

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it just wouldn't be GDQ without a janky Bethesda game run and this managed to be the shortest proper run as well!
- Stardew Valley this is the first proper run (there was a previous race the last gdq?) seen at GDQ and what a collection of glitches!
- Portal Reloaded I had not heard of this before, what a crazy mod, Msushi made it look easy
- Hades Had to watch this, very intrigued by the conditions of the race, highly modded for speedrunning because of the intense RNG nature of the game, this will be interesting to follow in future GDQs as this community grows.

Saturday

I missed the Halo CE run but basically watched everything to the end of GDQ. I recommend you go and watch that run however, there are some highly amusing strats with rather questionable ethics.

I've seen a few "end of GDQs" but I think this was the best ever, I can't think of anything that beats the combination of that incredible Sekiro run, the surprise inclusion of Portal 2 and Msushi just smashing that, getting Deltarune AND the snowgrave route and Metal Gear Solid (and Boba-skip).

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

What an incredible GDQ. Still catching up on the VoDs but so far the highlights of the marathon have been:

Three Dirty Dwarves
Pokemon Crystal
Environmental Station Alpha
Part Time UFO
Marathon 2: Durandal
Sonic 4
We Love Katamari
Chicory
Link to the Past
Sekiro

Chainclaw posted:

I still want to watch a lot more runs, and I'm sure everyone's going to have their own hit lists, but here's my recommendations so far. This isn't every run I've seen, but generally each one that has a reason to watch it, including a few I didn't like but others did.

Here's a list of runs I watched and recommend for the most part.

If you're only going to watch two runs, watch Sekiro and GeoGuessr, those are the top ones I've seen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There has to be something magic about GDQ, watching those amazing Punch Out runs, that's the kind of crazy luck you often see there and it just boggles the mind.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm watching the It Takes Two run and it has some really fun, energetic commentary going

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thought of a few more recommendations, I discovered I'd been keeping a few runs I liked while upgrading a hard-drive:

- AGDQ 2018 - Ultima VI: The False Prophet (1990) - SNES - Any% No Major Glitches Come for the run, stay for Squibbons wonderful droll self-commentary

- AGDQ 2019 - Tomb Raider 2 (1997) - PC - Any% Glitches This is probably my favourite of the Tomb Raider games for its atmosphere, and one of only two runs so far by SmoothOperative who also did Tomb Raider Legend at SGDQ 2019 when airwalking came in. But this is a great run on the old engine and it's a difficult game to run

- AGDQ 2018 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) - PC - Main Quest It would be remiss to not include a good Skyrim run, I like this one because the commentary is great, and it's a pretty good time compared to the other runs.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My all time favourite run is this Super mario bros warpless relay from 2017. It's got great commentary, featuring Authorblues and Skybilz, two of my absolute favourites :allears:, super close running, and at one point one of their games messes up which wasn't their fault, so the other runners stop what they're doing, guy restarts and warps to where he was (4-1 in SMB2, I believe) and it continues.

This run is like a warm hug to me; I've watched/listened to it many, many times. I wish there were Mario or Mega Man relays done every year, because they're all so good.

Speaking of, I recommend Mega Man relays, too.

Anyway, this video is wonderful and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbKrMvwzQI

I'm partial to the Mega Man relays (first 1-3 and later 4-6, especially the latter one) but this is definitely one of my favourites too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Races and relays are always great, especially if they can keep it somewhat close throughout. I think last year (forget if it was AGDQ or SGDQ) there was a race on a like three hour run where they were separated by not even 20 seconds at the end or something else ridiculously close.