Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

lightpole posted:

Carhartt has a vaccine mandate and its like watching someone get kicked in the nuts over and over

That's been in local news lately, but this is also in local news and a local chud decided that the Republican party parent heroes need to FIGHT BACK:

https://twitter.com/LaurenMGibbons/status/1484629344928600071?t=lTYOZnXrgEwOgwYo2_TpSw&s=19

quote:

MIDLAND, MI — With a particularly noisome rumor making its rounds online, Midland Public Schools is allaying parents’ fears — no, there are not cat litter boxes set up for their students to relieve themselves in.

On Thursday, Jan. 20, Superintendent Michael E. Sharrow sent an email to students’ parents dispelling a rumor of litter boxes being placed in the schools for students who identify as “furries.”

“It is unconscionable that this afternoon I am sending this communication,” Sharrow wrote, “however, our Midland PS stakeholders may be confused about a false message/accusation that has resurfaced this week and is gaining traction in the social media realm.”

During a Dec. 20 meeting of the Board of Education, a community member stated litter boxes had been provided within students’ restrooms, Sharrow wrote.

“Let me be clear in this communication,” Sharrow wrote. “There is no truth whatsoever to this false statement/accusation! There have never been litter boxes within MPS schools.”

Merriam-Webster defines a furry as “a person who identifies with and enjoys dressing as an animal especially as a member of a subculture devoted to the practice.”

“In this divisive/contentious world in which we currently find ourselves, I ask that if you hear wild accusations that don’t sound like something in which your Midland Public Schools Board of Education, Administration, District would be part, take a moment to send an MPSConnect message to me,” he wrote. “Midland Public Schools’ main emphasis was, is and always will be to educate our community’s children with excellence, integrity and respect.”

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alright, props to whoever started that rumor. Brilliant.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Maximum Overdrive is proof that cocaine isn't always the pathway to a good directorial debut.

Maximum Overdrive is a treasure you shut up!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KwLa3xUgI&t=44s

lollllllll

sell an NFL ticket for a dollar over face value and you risk legal trouble but a civic with a 100% markup is a-okay!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

boop the snoot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KwLa3xUgI&t=44s

lollllllll

sell an NFL ticket for a dollar over face value and you risk legal trouble but a civic with a 100% markup is a-okay!

Ok what the gently caress

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1484592913614970887?s=21

I mean I’m not surprised, but I wasn’t expecting actually be able to read the text of these.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ASAPI posted:

I am so confused.

Dude buys a journal off of amazon, admits that the book itself is modern, yet claims it has the answers to ancient mysteries inside?

So someone copied some old book into this one by hand?

People believe him?

He's the host of one of these Ancient Aliens-quality "history" shows and I think it's more likely that he got scammed but yeah, he's just trying to power through this one.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It's always great seeing a pro poster power through in the face of being so, so very wrong and dumb

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I mean I’m not surprised, but I wasn’t expecting actually be able to read the text of these.

Pretty sure this isn't the first time I've posted this, or even just about this specific topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Pretty sure this isn't the first time I've posted this, or even just about this specific topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

Eh, those characters didn't have to deal with reality. In their world there was the threat of consequences for taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, those characters didn't have to deal with reality. In their world there was the threat of consequences for taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy.

In our world the criminals conspire by sending each other pictures of notes written in cursive because they thought it couldn't be OCRed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

In our world the criminals conspire by sending each other pictures of notes written in cursive because they thought it couldn't be OCRed.

Quick someone tell them that notes in the e-signature of a PDF are, uh, subject to doctor-patient confidentiality.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Admiralty courts are bound by HIPAA you see which means that only my doctor can convict me

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So, what's supposed to be the big own here?

One of Trump's advisors wrote a draft of an EO that wasn't put into practice, and they have a draft of a speech that he didn't give.

If you ask Trump about this he's going to say "Yeah, Sidney Powell wrote this up and I said it was loving stupid and didn't execute it."

Is there any evidence that Trump directed her to write this EO?

From the politico article:

Politico posted:

It’s not clear who wrote either document. But the draft executive order is dated Dec. 16, 2020, and is consistent with proposals that lawyer Sidney Powell made to the then-president. On Dec. 18, 2020, Powell, former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn, former Trump administration lawyer Emily Newman, and former Overstock.com CEO Patrick Byrne met with Trump in the Oval Office.

In that meeting, Powell urged Trump to seize voting machines and to appointher as a special counsel to investigate the election, according to Axios.

From the Axio article:

Axios posted:

The hours to come would pit the insurgent conspiracists against a handful of White House lawyers and advisers determined to keep the president from giving in to temptation to invoke emergency national security powers, seize voting machines and disable the primary levers of American democracy.

All these articles show is that Sidney Powell is nuts.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Milo and POTUS posted:

Admiralty courts are bound by HIPAA you see which means that only my doctor can convict me

And because of the sacred doctor-patient relationship, the doctor can't help convict you, so you're home free!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PeterCat posted:

One of Trump's advisors wrote a draft of an EO that wasn't put into practice, and they have a draft of a speech that he didn't give.

If you ask Trump about this he's going to say "Yeah, Sidney Powell wrote this up and I said it was loving stupid and didn't execute it."

people keep dreaming

https://i.imgur.com/vIKMoye.mp4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Schad thread gem, straight quote.

Nice.

E: trimmed the unnecessary.

E2: E harder: https://vault.unicornriot.ninja/patriotfrontleaks/

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 22, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just found out Meat Loaf is a Herman Cain Award recipient. :lol:

Memories of 2012 when Cain had buzz and a conservative got mad at me for saying there was no way the Republican Party would nominate a non-white presidential candidate. Same guy got annoyed when we tried to take him aside to let him know it grossed out women when he took his shoes and socks off in group settings. I don’t keep up with him anymore.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PeterCat posted:

From the politico article:

From the Axio article:

All these articles show is that Sidney Powell is nuts.

It was about having a chance to actually see a draft of absolute crazy reduced down to writing and see what type of justifications it contains and what it ordered.

Also :lol: Crypto

https://twitter.com/steventdennis/status/1484634528706703366?s=21

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dunno if that guy is Pro Crypto or not, but by god that $1tn in 'market value' sure as poo poo would've done more tangible, actual good had it been invested in infrastructure, nuclear power, or practically anything other than turning compute into nerd bucks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How do you wipe out what never existed in the first place?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Crab Dad posted:

How do you wipe out what never existed in the first place?
Sources report that millions in market value evaporated when I got too busy to play guitar and gave up on trying to be a rock star...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

Sources report that millions in market value evaporated when I got too busy to play guitar and gave up on trying to be a rock star...

:laffo:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Arrath posted:

Dunno if that guy is Pro Crypto or not, but by god that $1tn in 'market value' sure as poo poo would've done more tangible, actual good had it been invested in infrastructure, nuclear power, or practically anything other than turning compute into nerd bucks.

You know thats not how this works right? $1 trillion was not refocused from somewhere else and put into crypto.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that whole metric is nonsense. the price of buttcoins went down. nothing was "wiped out" other than the pockets of idiots who buy into the system

it's a dumb way to sensationalize crypto price changes because it makes bigger numbers

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I honestly wonder how much electrical power has been used for crypto. Is it enough to make a dent in electrical grids?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I honestly wonder how much electrical power has been used for crypto. Is it enough to make a dent in electrical grids?

If I recall correctly, it’s been cited as a massive risk to the environment and wastes a tremendous amount of energy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If I recall correctly, it’s been cited as a massive risk to the environment and wastes a tremendous amount of energy.

It's somewhere north of 100 TWh/year. Conservative estimates are about half that, worst-case estimates are three times that. And of course, most of that's being generated through coal.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jimmy Smuts posted:

It was reckoned it hit 0.5% of worldwide electricity consumption in the last couple of years, I'm not joking. So not grid worthy, oh hang on, using 1% of our electricity in the UK for aluminium production is a big loving thing. Oh dear.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Jesus gently caress, so it's basically using the equivalent of multiple nuclear reactors?
No wonder China banned it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Cryptocurrency consumes more electricity than all but like the top twenty nations

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Some crypto bros bought out an old power plant on one of the finger lakes in upstate NY and its turning the whole thing into a loving hot tub, so that's pretty cool.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Jesus gently caress, so it's basically using the equivalent of multiple nuclear reactors?

Assuming that 100 TWh/year is the right number, then yes, it's a bit shy of every nuclear power plant in Canada put together.

For comparison, as of 2015, Canada's power grid was 79 GW of hydro, about 16 GW each of natural gas and coal, 14 GW of nuclear, 7.6 GW of wind, 1.2 GW of fuel oil combustion, and 0.2 GW of solar.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56012952

quote:

The online tool has ranked Bitcoin’s electricity consumption above Argentina (121 TWh), the Netherlands (108.8 TWh) and the United Arab Emirates (113.20 TWh) - and it is gradually creeping up on Norway (122.20 TWh).

The energy it uses could power all kettles used in the UK for 27 years, it said.

However, it also suggests the amount of electricity consumed every year by always-on but inactive home devices in the US alone could power the entire Bitcoin network for a year.

It's bad, OP

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This is kinda lol at 2+ hours to talk about how awful NFTs are but it’s also somehow enthralling at just how deep the crypto rabbit hole goes (this video also just went live today btw):

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

Tl:dr the technology is bad for what it’s trying to do, the promises of it are only superficially being met (but not really at all) and it (crypto coins, NFTs, and NFT/crypto derivatives) are all a mashup and/or combination of every scam scheme you can think of.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 22, 2022

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jimmy Smuts posted:

It's a legitimate threat to the security of energy use on the planet. Let that one sink in, and it's mainly used as a money laundering scheme.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56012952
The energy it uses could power all kettles used in the UK for 27 years, it said.

The most British way of measuring output I've ever read

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

PeterCat posted:

Wrong question. The correct question: was Trump acting with and/or directing Patrick Byrne, Sidney Powell, and Mike Flynn? Timeline thread here:

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1484652922042388481

Writing it off as "Powell is wacko" misses all the predicate events documented above. Donnie loves freelancers and there was a group of people looking to completely fabricate evidence of election fraud, though it got supercharged by the "mystery" (later debunked) of the Antrim County fuckup. Then this meeting happens:

https://www.axios.com/trump-oval-office-meeting-sidney-powell-a8e1e466-2e42-42d0-9cf1-26eb267f8723.html

So again, it's really not clear that any of this will elevate into criminal charges, but it's not just "wacky lady brings in weird EO and Donnie says no" that will be his magic defense that absolves him of everything.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The guy in the Bloomberg article saying, “crypto is starting to go the way of equities” is in no quiet way saying that the crypto market has gotten so tucked up convoluted that it’s synonymous with the collatetalized debt obligation and default swap bullshit banks were pulling that led to the 2008 global financial crisis. CDOs and double tranche CEOs and synthetic CDOs and everything in between was not real currency either, and banks were literally propping themselves up on them like they were. This time, thankfully(?), a massive crash of the crypto market (I imagine as soon as Biden or any other major superpower signs in ink a bunch of regulatory orders this will spark the massive sell off) it won’t be banks but crypto bros that find themselves bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm seeing video cards now in the $1500+ range due to mining. gently caress this noise, ban video cards, games were better when they were 2d or 2.5d anyway :corsair: