Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was talking to a friend recently (about how that song at the end of The Lost Boys where it's like "thou shall not killlllllll" would be a fun first dance song at a wedding) and we got onto the subject of music because we went to a lot of shows together and liked many of the same bands.

Anyway, he was saying that he basically doesn't listen to music these days. When he goes on a run he'll listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

I couldn't do this, specifically, exercising while listening to a podcast or book. I need music. Something cathartic or triumphant while working out.

Same with driving. I can listen to NPR or a podcast for a while but at some point I need to turn off my brain and the best way to do that is with a song or two on repeat. Otherwise, I'll hear my thoughts and who wants to do that?

If I'm in a depressive state, or just down, one of the signs is that nothing sounds good and every song is boring and the funk doesn't begin to lift until I find a new song. This could be an old song that I forgot about but now speaks to me with updated significance. I don't know why this is.

What about you? Do you listen to music for mood regulation? Could you go without it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah i do, i listen to music basically the entire i'm working, unless i have to talk to someone. when i find a new album that i really like i basically listen to it on repeat non-stop like 30-50 times, and then it gets added to the regular lineup.

something that people find odd (until they know me, at least), is that i prefer total silence from the radio when driving. i like the driving experience and enjoy the physical, auditory, visual, etc. feedback from the vehicle

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
No I listen to more podcasts, audio books and npr than music. I do that basically all day long at work, driving, etc. That didn't used to be the case, but I take a lot less drugs than I used to and am probably minorly depressed at all times

On the rare occasions I don't feel depressed I like music a lot more though

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I feel like music has become way less important to me over the years. I still love music and it gives me tingles when its real good and I cant help but dance, but I dont actively seek out new music. I mostly put on lofi chill white noise to work to, or a podcast.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm a truck driver, so I can usually stomach an hour of "modern" music, before I just flip on some classical music. I could listen to classical music for hours.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lifting while listening to a book owns

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

music sucks op, almost as much as video games

but not as much as anime

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Don't need music if you're living in a tent under a bridge.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

music sucks op, almost as much as video games

but not as much as anime

A lot of poo poo sucks now because it's all bending over backwards in order to appease China so it can be released in China's massive market.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’m a weirdo who loves music but also enjoys driving and jogging with nothing but my thoughts.
I can drive for hours without music or podcasts as long as the scenery is nice.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love music and when I find a good new song, I will listen to it over and over and over and over again the same way I did when I was younger.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Enfys posted:

I love music and when I find a good new song, I will listen to it over and over and over and over again the same way I did when I was younger.

hey, same

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i listen to music first thing in the morning every day, almost always an album i haven't heard before, though sometimes an old favorite. when im cooking dinner or lunch or on long drives i prefer music that is already more familiar to me. but sometimes on short drives around town i prefer silence

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I do really like music. It is much harder to find and listen to new music.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Some days I drive with music to and from work. Some days I drive in total silence. And some days I’ll put on some random AM radio station and listen to that.

I love music, but it’s nice to take a break from it once in a while.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Some days I drive with music to and from work. Some days I drive in total silence. And some days I’ll put on some random AM radio station and listen to that.

I love music, but it’s nice to take a break from it once in a while.

I usually listen to talk radio or podcast during the week. The weekend is all about music. I let the radio play. If/When it's a good song I turn it up

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Enfys posted:

:same:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I listen to music sometimes while working or exercising. Though often I have a podcast, tv show or movie on in the background instead.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

I listen to music sometimes while working or exercising. Though often I have a podcast, tv show or movie on in the background instead.

:hmmyes:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Triple JJJ Hottest 100.

Streaming now!

:australia:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have severe auditory sensitivity and often need things to be as quiet as possible. But I absolutely need music whenever I can. Living without music seems like a cursed life.

I can lose auditory processing entirely sometimes, and go completely deaf temporarily. One, it's terrifying, two, I'm always scared if it becomes permanent.

I make music tho so I may be biased.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

I have severe auditory sensitivity and often need things to be as quiet as possible. But I absolutely need music whenever I can. Living without music seems like a cursed life.

I can lose auditory processing entirely sometimes, and go completely deaf temporarily. One, it's terrifying, two, I'm always scared if it becomes permanent.

I make music tho so I may be biased.

Is there any answer for your affliction? Like implants.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
sometimes i get absolutely out of my mind stoned, lay down on my bed in the dark and listen to music for hours, its the best feeling in the world

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

pemex on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlIExbHPWtw

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I don't need it to do stuff, I'm fine being alone with my thoughts, also happy listening to podcasts or whaetever, but also, no, I could not go without it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Is there any answer for your affliction? Like implants.

Nope, it's entirely neurological. My ears are actually fine, but if my brain gets overloaded with input it just sort of fries and resets. Bright lights can can seizures or gently caress up my vision for a while too.

Brain damage is great lol

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

silence is a type of music

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

Nope, it's entirely neurological. My ears are actually fine, but if my brain gets overloaded with input it just sort of fries and resets. Bright lights can can seizures or gently caress up my vision for a while too.

Brain damage is great lol

I got a weird thing like that too. I have good hearing, I can apparently only pay attention to one thing at a time. If there are noises in the background. I can't hear you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hell astro course posted:

silence is a type of music

it's not

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

yeah it is

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

okay yeah i'm gonna listen to talking-about-working-tomorrow-while-it's-friday-guy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

okay yeah i'm gonna listen to talking-about-working-tomorrow-while-it's-friday-guy

that was a different thread

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

GIRL TALK - Feed The Animals on repeat works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU62x2PnSO4&t=3s

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that was a different thread

sry

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Blow posted:

hell yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGJzk1cLRw

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Thanks dude. It's my birthday today, so this tune is on point.

:350:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Blow posted:

Thanks dude. It's my birthday today, so this tune is on point.

:350:

:hfive:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im constantly listening to new music, old music, all music. I DJ as a hobby and keep a running shared Spotify playlist with mates.

I also work part time bartending at a theatre. Im the guy they call when nobody can fill a shift and it means i get to see live music for free. I stay on their roster solely for the artistic and social benefits.

It used to be super easy to keep up living in dorms and sharehouses, but I made a conscious decision when I turned 30 that id continue to seek out new tunes. Sometimes its a chore but I never regret taking the time to out music on and hear something new.

Listening to hottest 100 right now:
https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/listen-live/player/

For non Australians, Triple J is the youth and pop radio station in Australia, every year they do a countdown of the top 100 tracks as voted by listeners. Its a snapshot of the previous year and the youngs have listening parties. Its typically been held on Australia Day but theyve moved it to the weekend before because of contention around the holiday.

I also like Soul Saturday (formerly New Soul Sunday) with Nick Austin on WDET Detroit

https://wdet.org/shows/soul-saturday/

Ive met Mr Austin on a few occasions and hes a super nice guy and a great curator of neo-soul.

I love the Cercle series on Youtube for electronic dance music:

https://youtu.be/crZfT5qnFdA

The formula is basically take famous DJs and musicians, put them in a striking natural setting with thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment and drones and film them playing music. I like putting it on the TV/stereo when doing stuff around the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i need music basically nonstop or my brain just will not shut the gently caress up