Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

forcing users to code in a crippled dropdown gui-driven programming language instead of just text has always been extremely insulting

something like dota may have never existed if they forced coding in such a dumbass paradigm

agree.

graphic programming is usefull only for simple stuff, when you need to do something actually complex, graphic programming gets way more complicated than simply text

anyway companies can't recreate the magic of modding in a wallet garden enviroment, so is moot point whats better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Remember when the way to keep people playing your games was to make engaging, can't put it down, gameplay that kept you coming back for more because it was fun and addictive not because of some feeling of obligation because of unlocks and weekly chores?

ya, i still play L4D2 every now and then and the most refreshing part is the lack of progression. Every session is its own thing and i dont have to worry about getting 150 more zombie leg shots to unlock Coach's alternate hat or whatever bullshit

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I mostly think it's funny that they've been loving around with this Portal mode xp stuff when it doesn't even matter.

I think Portal was doomed to begin with because of all these conflicting problems with it.

1. You want players to play in Portal but because you've created this progression system they won't want to play if they can't progress.
2. You allow the XP progression but inevitably players are only creating Portal modes to farm XP.
3. You add continually more complex XP restrictions to Portal until it's very difficult to progress as quickly as AOW
4. Woops, you've looped back around to #1 but just with extra steps

They are destroyed by the progression obsession monster that they have created.
If they wanted to do something truly innovative they would have had to completely remove levels, weapon mastery, everything.

Even with battle passes to unlock cosmetics you're a bit screwed because you can't allow that in Portal either and you're back to the same problem.

Modern systems of "player engagement" are simply incompatible with a side mode like Portal.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Everything is already unlocked in the Portal for the older games so I say gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was the game down last night or something? I tried to get on for my weekly Skin Session but kept getting connection errors at the boat screen until I gave up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

jisforjosh posted:

Remember when the way to keep people playing your games was to make engaging, can't put it down, gameplay that kept you coming back for more because it was fun and addictive not because of some feeling of obligation because of unlocks and weekly chores?

I remember playing bc2 until the sun came up because i'd compulsively requeue because I was having so much fun

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Tiny Timbs posted:

Was the game down last night or something? I tried to get on for my weekly Skin Session but kept getting connection errors at the boat screen until I gave up.

Yeah servers were busted.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2wxck7NIk
lmao

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

condor driver sucked me off???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't believe revives still don't work when the model is clipping through a wall

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Can't believe revives still don't work when the model is clipping through a wall

Easiest (?) solution would be making ragdolls unable to pass through walls, etc. but going to guess that there's an engine issue with how destruction works

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Must be hard to fix/reproduce.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tei posted:

Must be hard to fix/reproduce.

I see it 10x every round I play. Super hard for :dice: to reproduce.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bushes/shrubs also block reviving/being revived.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

It reliably happens if only your legs are completely clipping through a solid object. If only your torso is clipping but your legs are free then you can get revived, so far as I have seen. The revive “spot” the game looks for to revive is probably in the waist, so that gets obscured.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I see it 10x every round I play. Super hard for :dice: to reproduce.

It's been super hard for DICE to reproduce other legacy features, too, like scoreboards and voice chat and hit detection.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Chronojam posted:

It's been super hard for DICE to reproduce other legacy features, too, like scoreboards and voice chat and hit detection.

Y'know whe you think about it it's a masterstoke of game design to introduce a mechanic where you can't hit poo poo or talk to anyone. Really simulates that battle-weary experience where you can't speak or shoot anymore

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is there any benefit to ADS a shotgun or is it meant to be pure hip fire?

e: I've just learned you can slam fire the Model 37 and it takes a bayonet so I am happy as a hog right now.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 23, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dog nougat posted:

Y'know whe you think about it it's a masterstoke of game design to introduce a mechanic where you can't hit poo poo or talk to anyone. Really simulates that battle-weary experience where you can't speak or shoot anymore

they actually did implement comms, everyones ears are just so hosed up from mag-dumping lmgs in enclosed spaces and standing next to tanks firing with no ear pro to hear anyone say anything

very immersive imo

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Chronojam posted:

scoreboard

if you press the button for this one you will see it

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Reiley posted:

Is there any benefit to ADS a shotgun or is it meant to be pure hip fire?

e: I've just learned you can slam fire the Model 37 and it takes a bayonet so I am happy as a hog right now.

It's worth it if there's someone injured and you think you can get them at medium-ish range but you definitely don't want to be in an actual fight where you're having to ADS.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

yeah I only ads with the shotgun if I'm just trying to tag a guy who's running away and I'm not in danger

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Getting hackusations sniping in BF1 is just :yum:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Only one more month until we get the scoreboard alpha!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. What a shitshow of an unfinished release.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
To spare everyone the latest Tom_Henderson video, the rumor is DICE is getting demoted to support studio, with Ripple Effect (the guys who built Portal) takes over as primary Battlefield devs going forward. The main reason being, most of the Frostbite experience is currently at Ripple Effect.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the game is pretty fun and i have a great time playing it

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

To spare everyone the latest Tom_Henderson video, the rumor is DICE is getting demoted to support studio, with Ripple Effect (the guys who built Portal) takes over as primary Battlefield devs going forward. The main reason being, most of the Frostbite experience is currently at Ripple Effect.

Don't forget the most important part: all the free-to-play stuff he was talking about is pure speculation

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That's an odd way to word it. For the past few releases, DICE LA (now Ripple Effect) was mostly a support studio to DICE and then took over the DLC with DICE supporting. For 2042, Ripple Effect was a bit more autonomous as they didn't support DICE but added Portal to the game and they are continuing to work on that plus DLC. So... essentially this is the same as all past titles and no one is "demoting" DICE, so the isn't news. DICE also makes Frostbite, so most of the Frostbite experience is still there.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Experience doesn’t mean number of people currently building it, it’s how much knowledge of the engine the people currently employed have

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Lifespan posted:

DICE also makes Frostbite, so most of the Frostbite experience is still there.

Most of the people who made the Frostbite engine are no longer at DICE

Other EA studios aren't too keen to use it but it was forced on a lot of devs since it's an EA owned engine so they don't have to pay licensing fees to a competitor.

“Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails—it’s poorly documented, hacked together, and so on—with all the problems of an externally sourced engine.”

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 26, 2022

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Honestly handing Ripple Effect the keys to the series would be the best idea going forward, DICE Stockholm has suffered far too much brain drain even just from BFV to 2042 let alone if you go farther back, and it's getting obvious they either just aren't attracting the talent or management just doesn't care anymore to keep them around or is just so horrible there no one wants to stay. Maybe they'd get their poo poo together again eventually but until then, Battlefield would be better off with someone else.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Warad posted:

Honestly handing Ripple Effect the keys to the series would be the best idea going forward, DICE Stockholm has suffered far too much brain drain even just from BFV to 2042 let alone if you go farther back, and it's getting obvious they either just aren't attracting the talent or management just doesn't care anymore to keep them around or is just so horrible there no one wants to stay. Maybe they'd get their poo poo together again eventually but until then, Battlefield would be better off with someone else.

Danger Close begat DICE LA which begat Ripple Effect. Now we pass time until DICE becomes Ripple Effect Stockholm

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sounds good to me. The people that know frostbyte become "the engine team" and can focus on that role. It may even be good news for all of the frostbyte using games.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Hot Diggity! posted:

Don't forget the most important part: all the free-to-play stuff he was talking about is pure speculation

Yeah the whole free to play narrative came from a bad wording of an investor call where they mentioned Battlefield (the franchise) having a free to play element. I think it said "free to anchor". This could be anything from Portal or Hazard zone bring f2p all the way to the upcoming phone game.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Battle bit remastered is really fun thanks for the tip thread.

Is there a thread for this game? I could see it taking off.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I thought the beta was over and it isn't playable anymore?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

At least it's just 5 melee kills and not takedowns

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

At least it's just 5 melee kills and not takedowns

Lmao everyone is going to be sniping if they weren't already accidentally banned by a faulty EAC report for running MSI Afterburner performance stats overlay or RGB software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This game has really awful melee and I don't mean the takedowns