Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Even just from a purely self interest point of view, if Russia doesn't have them by the balls they should be pretty open to containing Putin's aggression. Not a good look to be saying 'No' at the moment.

Cheap heating fuel gets them re-elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It sure looks like Russia has Germany by the balls, doesn't it.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1484626546199515139

Lol @ the country with the second highest number of Neonazis per Capita on the continent invoking this issue while actively ignoring them since forever and telling other countries to gently caress off when they raise concerns.

Germany's balls are in a vise, but it's because if money and resources

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Cheap heating fuel gets them re-elected.

Yep, Merkel and Schroder sold Germany out to the Russians pretty goddamn hard.

Oh totally forgot about a Russian invasion would involved CHERNOYBL!

quote:

Defend Chernobyl During an Invasion? Why Bother, Some Ukrainians Ask.
Ukraine has initiated a defensive strategy for the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, one of the most radioactive places on Earth, which lies on the shortest path between Russia and Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/22/world/europe/chernobyl-ukraine-invasion-russia.html

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fear not, Ukraine, we'll send our 11 working aircraft to protect you.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Fear not, Ukraine, we'll send our 11 working aircraft to protect you.

And 20 of our mildly deformed G36s.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

it was said a while ago that brexit was the biggest political own goal in history, but germany's snap decision to shutter nuclear has got to be right loving up there

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I mean, worst case our aircraft don't make the transit, but we'll definitely provide C3 and aerial Intel superiority with our brand new Euro Haw...

...oh

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Okay, chill Ukraine, at the very least we'll supply you with our next gen infantry weapon systems that perform to spec in extreme climate condit...

Oof, nevermind.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/22/world/europe/chernobyl-ukraine-invasion-russia.html

I was kind of interested in what was going to happen there. Let's see if someone floats the threat to turn the ruins into the world's biggest dirty bomb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Lol @ the country with the second highest number of Neonazis per Capita on the continent invoking this issue while actively ignoring them since forever and telling other countries to gently caress off when they raise concerns.

That's a totally valid complaint from the Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, I don't really see how millions of dead Ukrainians is even remotely comparable to whatever the total number of neo-nazis in Ukraine is.

The history of the Ukrainian people is largely a story of being a victim of it's neighbors.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Let's not forget what's at stake here. (Stolen from D&D pictures thread)

https://twitter.com/WhatWhatBitch/status/1483981933512212486

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jen Psaki is really fuckin' bad at her job.

Nah, she is absolutely giving the administration's opinion on these issues.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

Nah, she is absolutely giving the administration's opinion on these issues.

You're right and I hate it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wrong Theory posted:

I noticed it was pushed back to December (from April) on xbox gamepass. At this point, just take it off the coming soon list.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Schröder in particular and his 100% shameless post-politics career as a Kremlin petro-oligarch shill is something to behold.

Midjack posted:

I was kind of interested in what was going to happen there. Let's see if someone floats the threat to turn the ruins into the world's biggest dirty bomb.

:stare:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

Get out of here, Putin.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Looking at the map, wouldn't Russia have to get through Belarus or a big portion of eastern Ukraine prior to getting to Chernobyl? I'm not sure of the terrain, but if I were Ukraine I'd position my forces on the Kiev side of the exclusion zone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If Russia has any interest in Chernobyl as part of this, it'll be as an excuse to justify invasion. Teams loving around releasing radiation, something like that. Like what they did with chlorine gas earlier in the week. The army comes later.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

PeterCat posted:

Looking at the map, wouldn't Russia have to get through Belarus or a big portion of eastern Ukraine prior to getting to Chernobyl? I'm not sure of the terrain, but if I were Ukraine I'd position my forces on the Kiev side of the exclusion zone.

Reuters posted:

VILNIUS, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Russian troops arriving in Belarus for what Moscow and Minsk say will be joint military exercises are a direct threat to NATO member Lithuania, and could prompt Washington to station more troops in the region, Lithuania's defence minister said.

Russian military forces and hardware began arriving in ex-Soviet Belarus on Monday for "Allied Resolve" drills to be held near Belarus's western border with NATO members Poland and Lithuania and close to its southern flank with Ukraine.
Of course, countries hold military exercises all the time and there's certainly been complaints against NATO/US shows of force in the Baltics or in South Korea for decades, but Russia's come alongside bellicose ultimatums that have produced the highest tensions since perhaps the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I still thing that Putin's bluffing in an attempt to extract concessions and destabilize Ukraine, but he's not the sort to bluff without demonstrating a real capability of following through.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Yeah, Russia has been pouring troops into Belarus for quite some time now because Putin and Lukashenko are BFFs. If an invasion does happen it will almost certainly involve a large Russian force attacking from Belarus.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1484980677758140418

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, that's not good. If Biden wanted to he could order a NG unit to a neighboring country for "training," similar to what Reagan in did in Central America in the 80s.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-06-12-9002170920-story.html

Chicago Tribune posted:

The case had its beginnings in 1985, when Republican Gov. George Deukmejian of California refused to consent to a training mission for 450 members of the California National Guard in Honduras because of objections to the location and type of duty. Democratic Gov. Joseph Brennan of Maine shortly thereafter refused to consent to a similar mission.

The SC ruled that Reagan could in fact deploy NG troops overseas involuntarily for "training."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

...who is number one?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's Russian's problem with NATO if they can easily manipulate its members when they like?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Milo and POTUS posted:

...who is number one?

Probably depends on how you define "neo-Nazis" in the broader context of right-wing nationalism but I'll take a flyer on it being Hungary.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jen Psaki Joe Biden is really fuckin' bad at his job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Well, that's not good. If Biden wanted to he could order a NG unit to a neighboring country for "training," similar to what Reagan in did in Central America in the 80s.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-06-12-9002170920-story.html

The SC ruled that Reagan could in fact deploy NG troops overseas involuntarily for "training."

He should do it for those Texas NG on state orders so they actually get pay and benefits.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

hobbesmaster posted:

He should do it for those Texas NG on state orders so they actually get pay and benefits.

Federalizing the TX ARNG for Ukraine service would be amazing as it would seriously piss off the Governor of Texas.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I'm not paying the NYT, but is the crux form a perimeter which makes Russians have to suit up in NBC gear or suffer casualties to radiation sickness? Sounds like a good idea or is there something can do from there to make the Dnieper glow green at night?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The exclusion zone isn’t actually particularly radioactive these days with the exception of the actual sarcophagus

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

This is all clearly an elaborate Russian ploy to extract the wish-granter from the Zone.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Wrong Theory posted:

I just went from "I hope ww3 doesn't happen, i'm just a few years away from retirement :( " to "i'm volunteering to deploy to Ukraine if we send folks there"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

I'm trying really hard to justify that comment. If anything Germany should be repaying Ukraine back now for all the terrible poo poo they did there.

yeah, that's what he said

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
B5? You sunk my German Naval Chief!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sounds like he shoulda thunk B4 he spoke.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I just went from "I hope ww3 doesn't happen, i'm just a few years away from retirement :( " to "i'm volunteering to deploy to Ukraine if we send folks there"

I'm still at "I'm only two years from retirement and in a NATO reserve unit, gently caress"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm still at "I'm only two years from retirement and in a NATO reserve unit, gently caress"

They are looking for reservists for afloat billets to support the Ukraine mission (whatever that means) and I’m all like ……. Hrmmmmmm

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CNN posted:

The Arizona Democratic Party's executive board announced Saturday it formally censured Arizona Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema for voting to maintain the Senate's filibuster rules, effectively blocking Democrats' voting legislation, a key priority for the pary.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/politics/sinema-censured-arizona-democratic-party/index.html

I mean it doesn't really mean anything, but it's nice to know someone is atleast willing to put some sort of action behind official displeasure for Sinema's/Manchin's actions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Omicron's made it past NZ's borders, country is going to full restrictions as of midnight. We're over 90% vaxxed, so here's hoping.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Omicron's made it past NZ's borders, country is going to full restrictions as of midnight. We're over 90% vaxxed, so here's hoping.

Still probably better than Australians, right? kidding for an Aussies here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/politics/sinema-censured-arizona-democratic-party/index.html

I mean it doesn't really mean anything, but it's nice to know someone is atleast willing to put some sort of action behind official displeasure for Sinema's/Manchin's actions.

Yeah the democrat special

Actions that mean nothing