Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I like to open Google Maps and find places in our country where I have no concept of what life there is like. Here's one,

Guymon, Oklahoma

I was born in Sacramento, CA, then moved to Rhode Island at age 10, and went to college in Boston, MA. I vacationed once to Austin, TX, which was pretty cool. Being in Rhode Island, I'm a 3 hour drive to NYC, or 30 minute drive to Boston. And Philly and DC by train are only a few hours top. I've always wondered what it would be like to like to not not live in a geographical hub location, because most of my American experience has been shaped by living close to a major metropolitan city.

Please tell me about your weird geographically isolated town you live in (Or just Guymon), and why it's good, bad, and what your life is like (?) , as I'd find that fascinating to read about.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Small towns where everyone knows my name? No, thank you!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zeluth posted:

Small towns where everyone knows my name

I don't believe they exist

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I am from around there its nothing special to report, I did knock a girl up when I was 16 and she was 15 so it was the talk of the town for a bit, nothing really intersting goes aroud out there but you should check out my threa ab0ut aliens

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
All the people in that picture are the youngest people in town.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nuketulsa posted:

I am from around there its nothing special to report, I did knock a girl up when I was 16 and she was 15 so it was the talk of the town for a bit, nothing really intersting goes aroud out there but you should check out my threa ab0ut aliens

did you keep the kid?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

we live in the dirt and eat our own poo poo

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

did you keep the kid?

No, but she did hhahaha what a sucka rear end

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nuketulsa posted:

No, but she did hhahaha what a sucka rear end

what a terrible thing to say

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what a terrible thing to say

I have never and absolutleu will never say im a "good peroson"

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
That Keystone Light billboard is probably appropriate for the demographic.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I bet most of the people in Guymon would get very angry if you called it Gay-mon.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

nuketulsa posted:

i'm completely baffled on how you were unable to convince her to have an abortion

are you sure you used the same charisma we here on the forums are graced with on a daily basis?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i'm completely baffled on how you were unable to convince her to have an abortion

are you sure you used the same charisma we here on the forums are graced with on a daily basis?

Mexicans are catholics and abortion is the satan in disguise

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

zaepg posted:

Guymon, Oklahoma

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Would. Would. Nope. Would. Eh?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nuketulsa posted:

who is?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

zaepg posted:

I was born in Sacramento, CA,

condolences

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
the only thing I know for sure is It's Stone O'Clock :cheers:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

STABASS posted:

the only thing I know for sure is It's Stone O'Clock :cheers:

Yea u crazy for that haha

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Yaldabaoth posted:

All the people in that picture are the youngest people in town.

And they won't be replaced by any younger heirs. The town will completely dry up in a decade and what will remain is a series of isolated bunker/compounds where angry Nazi guys drive big trucks in the dust, mad at their dicks

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wilkins Micawber posted:

And they won't be replaced by any younger heirs. The town will completely dry up in a decade and what will remain is a series of isolated bunker/compounds where angry Nazi guys drive big trucks in the dust, mad at their dicks

welcome to your future Americans born after 1975

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Wilkins Micawber posted:

This is a real concern. Anybody out there. Is there an aging poplation problem?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

welcome to your future Americans born after 1975

There is no reason for the interior of North America to be inhabited. It is completely devoid of any essential resources left to exploit. Hell, a huge chunk of it is just a flat empty plain that drives people insane like Stephen King's The Jaunt.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The worst part of living in Guymon, Oklahoma is that you can only kill yourself once

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

There is no reason for the interior of North America to be inhabited. It is completely devoid of any essential resources left to exploit. Hell, a huge chunk of it is just a flat empty plain that drives people insane like Stephen King's The Jaunt.

when it take longer than 2 hours to get to the mountain on the distance: You should be growing corn or wheat or soy or something like it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
As someone who grew up in a town just like that you are wasting your time trying to learn about them

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Haha, what kind of weeb losers would name their town after a Digimon!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

Haha, what kind of weeb losers would name their town after a Digimon!

what the gently caress is a weeb?

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere innNew Hampshire, and it loving sucks

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
Why are there pictures of military men on the lamp post?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sofokles posted:

Why are there pictures of military men on the lamp post?

people who were born there. I think

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

more like Gayman, Oklahomo!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

people who were born there. I think

Imagine living in a town thats biggest claim to fame was being the birthplace of PFC Chucklefuck, exploded at pearl harbor or something probably

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Imagine living in a town thats biggest claim to fame was being the birthplace of PFC Chucklefuck, exploded at pearl harbor or something probably

some of them are still alive. you just have to be born there and join the military to get a flag

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
this place sucked so much that I joined a war machine that will get me killed. Now I'm on a telephone pole.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this place sucked so much that I joined a war machine that will get me killed. Now I'm on a telephone pole.

Their mom is so proud, just don't tell them about the 3 DUIs and the massive amount of hookers on shore leave in Bangkok.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cult_hero posted:

Their mom is so proud, just don't tell them about the 3 DUIs and the massive amount of hookers on shore leave in Bangkok.

I only got 2 duis

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
When you graduate basic training they ask if you want them to let your local paper know so they can run a little blurb in the paper :3:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I live in a small Florida town outside of Tampa. It was one of those places that seemed to be perpetually stuck in 1992 until it was forcefully ripped into modern times a few years ago when millennials like me moved there because the city was too expensive. Now all the older locals do is complain about all the “change” and “city kids” and “different demographics” moving in. You bet they were super pissed at all the chain restaurants opening and a new fancy Publix. Suspiciously silent when the Chick-Fil-A opened though.

Today it’s at a weird transition point where you can see both upper middle class yuppie families shopping next to a toothless tweaker mumbling to themselves in the frozen food aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I lived in Guymon when I was five. Even then I could tell that there were zero redeeming factors about this place.