Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really not happy with this, though I figured it was coming sooner or later. I'd personally have to pay around $500 a year for all the accounts I created for various things over the years. Dammit. Also it'd be nice if GOOGLE would loving send an email notifying people instead of reading it on tech websites.

I don't want to pay Google for anything due to them screweing me in various ways over the years, cancelling products I enjoy using. Guess its time to align with the Microsoft. :(

Good luck grandfathered goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Huh. Did not hear about that -- I definitely went a little nuts back in the day making free G Apps accounts for various domains and using it for email. Then I switched to Office 365, but my 'main' e-mail address is still on a free Goog tier... guess I'd better start checking if I can port that over to Office 365.

Never used Google Play / have any purchases, so don't care about that part -- mostly just making sure my primary e-mail address doesn't uh, stop working.

Where the gently caress do you go to see what you currently have?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

redeyes posted:

I'm really not happy with this, though I figured it was coming sooner or later. I'd personally have to pay around $500 a year for all the accounts I created for various things over the years. Dammit. Also it'd be nice if GOOGLE would loving send an email notifying people instead of reading it on tech websites.

I don't want to pay Google for anything due to them screweing me in various ways over the years, cancelling products I enjoy using. Guess its time to align with the Microsoft. :(

Good luck grandfathered goons.

Google's been bait and switching for a while now.

It started for me when they killed Reader; but some other buffoonery off the top of my head: Photos free storage, YoutubeTV, YouTube Music, nearly every messaging service they've ever developed, Google Wifi app, Inbox.

They used to dominate the news cycle by giving away free / cheap services in order to grow their userbase and good will. Now they've pivoted to every product being responsible for recouping its budget, so you either pay or get datamined.

Also their illegal union busting. gently caress them.

Check out the self-hosting thread if you want to find alternatives to their services.

e: lol, this just dropped about Google Pay: https://arstechnica.com/?p=1827141

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i gave out family-domain emails to aunts and uncles

now i'm trying to figure out exactly how many years i should just loving pay for it rather than try to walk a bunch of 70 year olds through an email migration

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I haven't received notification from Google about this but I understand I'll be affected, fortunately just with one family member to sort out too. I signed up back in the "don't be evil" days and have been meaning to switch away for a long time, gradually reducing my use of all Google services. So not such bad news really and I'll glad to 100% de-Google my life.

Got a quick tech support question I hope someone might help with, and is the reason I've been delaying getting out. I'm intending to transfer my .co.uk domain to Gandi and then use their e-mail service. The process is:
1) update the IPS tag at my current provider
2) submit a transfer-in request at Gandi
3) Gandi will send a verification e-mail to the registered domain owner
4) Click the link in the e-mail to confirm and complete the process, copying the existing nameserver settings if they can.

Gandi will copy over the DNS set up if possible. There's a warning: "if your former registrar/web host stops their DNS service once the domain leaves their services, then your domain will be offline."

This is what scares me. Once I change that IPS tag, my current provider could stop providing those DNS settings. Which would break my e-mail. My e-mail is on the same domain that I want to transfer, so this would stop me receiving the verification e-mail and leave me in limbo.

I made a stupid mistake along similar lines a while back, transferring in a domain where I'd forgotten to update the old administrator e-mail. As soon as I changed the IPS tag and didn't get the verification e-mail, I realised I was screwed. Gandi couldn't change the tag back, nor complete the transfer. I ended up having to pay Nominet and wait a few weeks for them to manually set the IPS tag back to the old provider, then I managed to do the whole process again properly.

I might be worrying a bit too much because I don't think my current provider would get rid of the settings that quickly. But I'd like to do it safely, and it's going to be a ballache if I lose my main e-mail. I just can't see anything about this online or anyone else running into this issue.

JammyB fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 21, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

^^ I have my original Gmail account from like 2004 still around that I never login into anymore, except as a recovery account for a few things (assuming that Google doesn't take that away). Maybe you can use something like that (or an ISP e-mail account) as a cutout email to temporarily move registration stuff over too, and then make the transfer?

I think I need to basically check the O365 FAQ on how to add multiple domains under the same tenant -- I migrated my company's email / domain name in the past, but that was just a domain switch (email was already on O365). Decently confident that the MX record update will be simple, and then I'll use Outlook or Thunderbird to move the e-mail over.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there anywhere to find out more about this?
I went into the Admin panel and checked my subscription (G Suite Legacy) and there's nothing in there about it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Is there anywhere to find out more about this?
I went into the Admin panel and checked my subscription (G Suite Legacy) and there's nothing in there about it.

Click the support button (?) in the top area.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

JammyB posted:

I haven't received notification from Google about this but I understand I'll be affected, fortunately just with one family member to sort out too. I signed up back in the "don't be evil" days and have been meaning to switch away for a long time, gradually reducing my use of all Google services. So not such bad news really and I'll glad to 100% de-Google my life.

Got a quick tech support question I hope someone might help with, and is the reason I've been delaying getting out. I'm intending to transfer my .co.uk domain to Gandi and then use their e-mail service. The process is:
1) update the IPS tag at my current provider
2) submit a transfer-in request at Gandi
3) Gandi will send a verification e-mail to the registered domain owner
4) Click the link in the e-mail to confirm and complete the process, copying the existing nameserver settings if they can.

Gandi will copy over the DNS set up if possible. There's a warning: "if your former registrar/web host stops their DNS service once the domain leaves their services, then your domain will be offline."

This is what scares me. Once I change that IPS tag, my current provider could stop providing those DNS settings. Which would break my e-mail. My e-mail is on the same domain that I want to transfer, so this would stop me receiving the verification e-mail and leave me in limbo.

I made a stupid mistake along similar lines a while back, transferring in a domain where I'd forgotten to update the old administrator e-mail. As soon as I changed the IPS tag and didn't get the verification e-mail, I realised I was screwed. Gandi couldn't change the tag back, nor complete the transfer. I ended up having to pay Nominet and wait a few weeks for them to manually set the IPS tag back to the old provider, then I managed to do the whole process again properly.

I might be worrying a bit too much because I don't think my current provider would get rid of the settings that quickly. But I'd like to do it safely, and it's going to be a ballache if I lose my main e-mail. I just can't see anything about this online or anyone else running into this issue.

Get a free Cloudflare account, replicate your DNS zone there, change the name servers with your current domain registrar. Then start the transfer to Gandi and pick the option where they leave the name servers the same. Optionally recreate the DNS stuff on Gandi once the transfer has completed and then close your Cloudflare account.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

redeyes posted:

Click the support button (?) in the top area.

Thanks, here's the KB article.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217?hl=en

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

God they don't make it easy to work this stuff out, do they?

What's the cheapest Google offering for vanity domain gmail?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The subject line makes this really confusing. This is only for custom domains? I've been some random dingus at gmail dot com since 2004 becauseI don't mind reppin' The Goog to every one who has ever asked for my email address.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

The subject line makes this really confusing. This is only for custom domains? I've been some random dingus at gmail dot com since 2004 becauseI don't mind reppin' The Goog to every one who has ever asked for my email address.

Right — back in the day, they offered free “G Apps” (G Suite now I guess?) if you had a custom domain and wanted to host your own email or something like that. Set up some MX records and bam, it was like your GMail but with your domain. I only ever used it for email and didn’t think twice about it ever going away.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

~Coxy posted:

best i can tell its $6/user/month

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Exactly... anyone remember the gmail invite spooler some goons set up for us? I think one of them was pipebomb?

Anyways thanks for getting me an invite back when it still was cool :)

JammyB
May 23, 2001

movax posted:

^^ I have my original Gmail account from like 2004 still around that I never login into anymore, except as a recovery account for a few things (assuming that Google doesn't take that away). Maybe you can use something like that (or an ISP e-mail account) as a cutout email to temporarily move registration stuff over too, and then make the transfer?

Thanks Ants posted:

Get a free Cloudflare account, replicate your DNS zone there, change the name servers with your current domain registrar. Then start the transfer to Gandi and pick the option where they leave the name servers the same. Optionally recreate the DNS stuff on Gandi once the transfer has completed and then close your Cloudflare account.

Nice one thanks, going to go with the Cloudflare solution tomorrow, cheers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

best i can tell its $6/user/month

Huh, this isn’t awful per se (cheaper than O365 somewhat) and I’d probably kick the can down the road forever, but it’s also a great excuse to further de-Googlify my life which is never a bad thing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Microsoft Family 365 seems like the best option for anyone using a vanity domain for email for a couple of family members.
$100pa, 6 users, plus you get Office for your users.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There's a 30% employee discount on Microsoft 365 Personal/Family if you work for a participating company, so the Family sub ends up being $70/year. Anyone successfully used a vanity domain on the Family subscription with a different registrar than GoDaddy? The MS support forum posts I've been able to find are contradictory or inconclusive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

There's a 30% employee discount on Microsoft 365 Personal/Family if you work for a participating company, so the Family sub ends up being $70/year. Anyone successfully used a vanity domain on the Family subscription with a different registrar than GoDaddy? The MS support forum posts I've been able to find are contradictory or inconclusive.

I haven't done it but this is the post that appears to be clear and correct.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/ft15pk/use_personalized_domain_with_outlook_and_office

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Icept posted:

Exactly... anyone remember the gmail invite spooler some goons set up for us? I think one of them was pipebomb?

The original one was isnoop

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm caught up in this running a family domain as a primary account. I remember the "free forever" when signing up so was rather annoyed with this news.

It seems they are backtracking a bit though. This appears to be the main support thread:
https://support.google.com/a/thread/146662513/complete-bs-and-bait-and-switch-google-retiring-legacy-gmail-program

A new FAQ has been added, with a form the domain's admin can fill in:
https://support.google.com/a/answer...ce-subscription

So there is a chance they are adding a lower cost or free tier for non-business use with <10 users.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
It reads
    If you have 10 or fewer users in your group and do not use your G Suite legacy free edition for business, please sign in to your administrator account to provide more information.
but I don't see any way to "provide more information". Anyone know what I'm supposed to be clicking?

edit: You need to view the support page with your admin account to see the link, it was defaulting me to my personal account

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 26, 2022

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
When you are viewing that page while logged in as admin user of the G Suite account it shows a link to a form instead. So login with an admin account.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I finally got an email about this today. Thanks Google!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'll be happy if they really do come up with something free or cheap for family use, but it's a bit of a string-along until April when I'd really rather sort out what I'm doing with the domain sooner than that. Oh well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ok i'm going to pitch this but please don't be angry!

icloud+ lets you bring your own domain if you subscribe, even to the cheap 1 dollar mo storage tier. Add to that, you can do family plans you could set up an email account for each member.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

icloud+ lets you bring your own domain if you subscribe, even to the cheap 1 dollar mo storage tier. Add to that, you can do family plans you could set up an email account for each member.

How does it do with Outlook?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

incoherent posted:

I don't have a problem with moving to iCloud in theory but having the email addresses have to be in your AppleID Family makes it a no-go for me (and most people, I should think.)

JammyB
May 23, 2001

gently caress staying with them, they'll only do it again or lock you out in the future. Stay strong.

I'm migrating today. Just waiting now for my 2gb mbox file to download at 50kb/s from Google servers. Should only take another 12 hours or so. What a great internet company.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

~Coxy posted:

God they don't make it easy to work this stuff out, do they?

You can use personal domains with the free gmail accounts, as long as you have an stmp server to go with your domain. This is what I do, using the smtp option from my web site hosting.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
another article about Google backing down

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Keep updating this thread with any new information. It is VERY helpful. So far Im reading a Google Voice number might be nuked?! if you DO pay. So the idea is to port the number to a normal gmail account before screwing around with other things.

I did send the feedback form in for my 8 domains.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I'm finished migrating. Had a bloody nightmare with the folders. Here's a bit of info in case it's helpful to anyone.

Gandi
Just to give some context and perhaps a recommendation: I was moving to Gandi where there are up to two mailboxes available for free if you have your domain with them. It's free up to 3gb, and although it doesn't support a catch-all it's possible to achieve it by setting up like 1000+ aliases (Google it if you need it, there's something to copy+paste and it only takes a minute). Access is via IMAP, or either SOGo or Roundcube webmail clients, which both seem like a breath of fresh air compared to modern slow as poo poo Gmail. It's possible to upgrade to 50gb storage for £1.88/month (about $2 I guess). Can't really say whether I'd recommend it or not yet but first impressions are good.

To get the easy one out of the way - for the Calendar just use Google Takeout to download the .ics file. Nice.

IMAP migration
There's a simple way to migrate e-mail which I guess would work for any provider, using an IMAP to log in to Gmail and sync the e-mails over. There's a tool like this: https://imapsync.lamiral.info/. Perhaps your existing e-mail client can already do this too?

Word of warning here as there are some caveats before this will work:
- go into the Gmail settings and ensure that IMAP is enabled
- turn on "access for less secure apps" from the link here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en#zippy=%2Cif-less-secure-app-access-is-on-for-your-account (and I guess you would want to turn it back on afterwards!)
- apparently there's a limit of 2.5gb per day for IMAP sync, though I must have pulled more than this and I didn't get blocked so I guess this is bugged lol
- there's something funny about the reported storage space. Google said 2.2gb, but I hit my 3gb quota. I think it's due to folder duplication weirdness described below.

Gandi actually has that IMAP sync tool available on a webpage so I just had to enter my Gmail credentials into its form (!!!), and specify the IMAP server, then let it do its thing. Pretty hassle free overall once I realised I had to turn the less secure apps switch on.

Gmail labels/folders confusion
Sorting out folders has been an utter pain in the arse, and I've had to repeatedly purge the imported e-mail and re-migrate. It's important to understand what Gmail does to folders in order to not cock this up. When I did my IMAP migration, it successfully mapped Gmail-Inbox to Gandi-Inbox, but it didn't do any other root folders. It did however create a "[Gmail]" folder, with all the other Gmail folders (labels) beneath. Simple I thought, just move the e-mails where I want them.... not so fast.

The key lesson is that "All Mail" contains everything (inbox, archived stuff, labelled stuff, and your own sent e-mail). All the other "labels" like Inbox, Important, etc are supposedly just views of this. When something is archived in Gmail, the "Inbox" label is removed, so it only appears in All Mails. Because this is a tagging system, if you're not careful and try to move e-mails around following migration, you can end up with duplicates. This is probably the reason I hit my quota, because I get a full Inbox and then mostly duplicate e-mails in All Mails.

It's not quite as simple as "labels are views" though - there seem to be special ones like Important which remove the e-mail from Inbox. I read that Sent might behave differently too, but I'm not sure how and I was able to just move those ones across from [Gmail] Sent -> regular Sent folder.

I was having such a pain with it, I realised that if I aligned Gmail to a sensible way of working without all this label stuff then it would be easier to reason about :
- go to Important folder, select all and mark everything as not-Important
- remove any other labels that I didn't want anymore
- I wanted to keep my archived e-mail, so I ran the query below to view all the archived e-mail, select all, then moved to inbox:
code:
-label:inbox -label:sent -label:your-own-labels-etc
You can then go into Gmail settings -> labels, and set options to disable some of them for IMAP. So I turned off All Mail and Important, pulled the rest over, then it was fairly simple to just move e-mails up to their root level folders.

I'm not 100% sure I didn't mess something up because the e-mail counts never matched exactly on Gmail and Gandi. But I think this was due to the way messages get threaded (which alters the count.. what). So I couldn't verify this 100% but I did quite a lot of manual checking and I'm pretty happy I got everything.

K-9 Android client
Last problem is I use K-9 e-mail client for Android. This has a dumb bug where it always fetches e-mail based on the server's internal UID. The UID is sequential and should always count up. The app assumes that therefore the UID is chronological, whereas when you migrate like this, the UID will just be based on creation order of the e-mails, which meant I was seeing old e-mail from like 2010 showing at the top of my inbox. The fix for this is to allow K-9 to download all the e-mails (go to settings and increase the fetch limit) then it should order by date. This makes the app slow though - so actually I'm just going back to its default 25 limit and as soon as I get 25 new e-mails (hope my friends don't forget me) then I won't see those old ones.

So this took me way longer than I thought but at least I'm off their wretched e-mail now. Hope this might be useful to someone.

JammyB fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 29, 2022

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

movax posted:

Huh, this isn’t awful per se (cheaper than O365 somewhat) and I’d probably kick the can down the road forever, but it’s also a great excuse to further de-Googlify my life which is never a bad thing.

It's 2.5 times more expensive than O365 for a family of 4. So dumb of google; my custom domain for the fam has been there for more than 10 years, and I'd probably have paid $100 for the convenience of not having to worry about it, but at that price I will for sure move.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
CloudFlare also offers free email forwarding now including wildcards, so you can forward to a normal consumer gmail account (or anything else)

I would be really happy if Google finally offered some way to move paid apps to another account so I can drop the old account completely.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://blog.cloudflare.com/migrating-to-cloudflare-email-routing/
CloudFlare's guide to use Email Routing to help migrate off GSuite.
It's in closed beta but they sound like they're planning to hit open beta soon.

Doesn't look like they properly support Gmail's . or + address conventions

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In case this helps anyone. I did the Google Takeout, selected email only. Got a 8GB Mbox file. Loaded up Thunderbird and added a Mbox add-on. Right click the 'Personal folder' import mbox. Now I can back-sync this with any service I would like to use. It actually worked too, 304k emails imported :o

Oh also, I 'transfered' my voice phone number to a free gmail account. All you need to do is be logged into both and hit transfer.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 3, 2022

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

While I'm not directly migrating off of G Suite (I gave up on using my free account ages ago due to Google Assistant stuff not working right), I can highly highly recommend Fastmail for mail hosting, I switched my personal email from Gmail to Fastmail a few months back and absolutely love it.

They also have the ability to generate masked anonymous emails that forward to your real email that you can block at any time which is sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

While I'm not directly migrating off of G Suite (I gave up on using my free account ages ago due to Google Assistant stuff not working right), I can highly highly recommend Fastmail for mail hosting, I switched my personal email from Gmail to Fastmail a few months back and absolutely love it.

They also have the ability to generate masked anonymous emails that forward to your real email that you can block at any time which is sweet

I'll add to this that Fastmail support is really stellar too if you need them. They've provided really detailed answers to questions I've had and even shared mail routing logs when I was troubleshooting an issue with my custom domain and mail to my employer.