Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

Very nice. Get some forks, I found that we use that for moving poo poo around much more than the bucket.

I need to get some clamp-on forks for mine (the one option I wanted but didn't get was the SSQA bucket instead of a pin-on, because I probably still wouldn't have my tractor by now at the rate they were going).

Nocturtle posted:

Having reviewed a few dozen pages back itt and feeling a little embarrassed asking for a reliable car recommendation when the answer was always going to be just get a Prius.

Have been looking at the various Prius options and they seem to amount to:
-L Eco, LE, LXE models
-AWD e vs no AWD e option
-Prius Prime vs standard

It seems that the LE model is the basic no nonsense option? The model comparison table and the three options looked virtually identical beyond some very superficial stuff, really struggling to understand the cost differences.

The AWD e option seems to have marginal utility in certain winter driving conditions. My plan for winter driving is:
-don't do it, avoid it whenever possible
-have snow tires
Given that, is the AWD e worthwhile? It seems like additional complexity to the mechanical design and an extra point of failure. Don't mind having some extra help if caught in bad winter weather, but not if it decreases the overall reliability of the vehicle.

The Prime is basically just a larger battery size? I'm guessing it's not the model used by the NYC taxi fleet, which is what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't expect AWD vs FWD to have a major impact on reliability or operating costs long term because Toyota Does Not gently caress With The Prius. However, with winter tires and avoiding snow driving to begin with, I wouldn't see the upfront purchase cost as worth it.

The big difference with Prime is it can operate in EV-only mode for more distance and at higher speeds than a regular Prius, though I swear I've seen people in this thread lament that it's not nearly as effective at doing so as Toyota's marketing would have you believe. Either way the benefit would be offsetting some of your fuel usage by charging the battery. This really comes down to cost/benefit for you. I think a lot of Primes end up getting sold in areas where they qualify as enough of an EV to get HOV lane access while a regular Prius would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My advice would be to get whatever trim you can find in good condition for a good price because the market is hosed.

That being said, your concerns about reliability are throwing up alarm bells in my brain. I sincerely hope you're not looking for a car that never needs any maintenance or repairs because those do not exist. All cars need regular service and all cars need repairs sometimes. All modern cars need very few repairs and have a much longer usable life than older cars if they are regularly maintained. The Prius is the default recommendation because they tend to survive abuse (although you should still not abuse them and you still need to keep up on maintenance) and because Toyota made approximately 10 zillion of the fuckers, so when they do break, parts are cheap. Any Prius in any trim driven in any reasonable manner can do well over 300k miles with minor repairs if it is well maintained. Many could hit a million without needing a new engine. They can probably still over 100k if you abuse and literally never service it because they're overbuilt to an absurd degree, but you shouldn't be doing that.

Anyways, if it sounds like I'm beating the obvious down your throat, it's because there are a surprisingly large number of people who think that "reliable" means "does not need regular maintenance." A well maintained BMW will probably last longer than an abused Prius (maybe).

Edit: Looking at your original post and seeing that you are considering a new or nearly new car, you do not need to worry about reliability at all ever. The only thing that could theoretically happen is maybe a recall and you'll get a loaner if it does. The only exception to that I can think of is if you get something insanely, notoriously unreliable like a Maserati. If you are not keeping this car for a really long time, a Prius is actually probably not worth the premium to the price. Instead, you should get the most comfortable thing with the most advanced driver assistance gizmos you can find. Spend the money on nicer seats and better noise insulation instead of a gas-sipping hybrid system that won't pay for itself until its third owner because that's what's actually going to improve your commute and the drive between Buffalo and NYC loving suuuuucks so you want a comfortable GT car and a Prius ain't that. Ask me about doing it twice a month for a year. If you actually want a car you can keep for 10 years and 100k miles, then go Prius.

TL;DR all new not-luxury cars are good for 200k miles if you maintain them get the most comfortable poo poo you can afford for your hell drives

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 20, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Toyota Prime line are plug in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs). If you need to ask if a PHEV is for you the answer is no. They have a very specific use case like if you have an electric car charger at both ends of your 5 mile commute but you don't want an electric car because you visit grandma 200 miles away once a month then maybe a PHEV makes sense.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't expect AWD vs FWD to have a major impact on reliability or operating costs long term because Toyota Does Not gently caress With The Prius. However, with winter tires and avoiding snow driving to begin with, I wouldn't see the upfront purchase cost as worth it.

Thanks. It's good to hear the AWD will likely not be any less reliable than the FWD but it's hard to see how its marginal utility justifies the price increase.

KillHour posted:

My advice would be to get whatever trim you can find in good condition for a good price because the market is hosed.
TL;DR all new not-luxury cars are good for 200k miles if you maintain them get the most comfortable poo poo you can afford for your hell drives

This is a good point. For reference I previously owned a very nice used Honda Fit and would have described it as reliable but that definitely doesn't mean it didn't require regular maintenance and repairs. Did they ever even figure out what was going on with those tire pressure monitor sensors?

I'm looking into a new car because I unfortunately don't have time to do the whole used car search process right now and a car that will have minimal car maintenance stuff going forward will be helpful to reduce disruption from breakdowns etc. That doesn't mean there will be none.

By the way I don't understand the full context, in what way is the "market hosed"? The new car market, the used car market or all the markets?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nocturtle posted:

By the way I don't understand the full context, in what way is the "market hosed"? The new car market, the used car market or all the markets?

Yes, Yes and Yes.

Supply chain issues are affecting new car production, which in turn is affecting used car prices. It's like everything else right now. Supply chain is hosed. My local grocery store is out of pasta for instance.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The AWD Prius adds another electric motor to the rear wheels, so both the front and rear wheels can be driven. On a regular gas car AWD is accomplished through a series of driveshafts and linkages from the engine at the front to the wheels at the back, which is more complicated and potentially less reliable than just adding an electric motor. The downside is that the rear electric motor is very small and doesn't actually put much "drive" to the rear wheels, so the benefit is pretty minimal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

I'm looking into a new car because I unfortunately don't have time to do the whole used car search process right now and a car that will have minimal car maintenance stuff going forward will be helpful to reduce disruption from breakdowns etc. That doesn't mean there will be none.

Walk into a Carvana/CarMax and sit in all their cars and figure out which one will be most comfortable for a 6 hour drive. If you like it and it's low enough miles that it's still under warranty, you can get it inspected at any indie mechanic you trust and buy it. If you sit in it and think "this car is great but I want to be the first person to fart in it and I'm willing to pay for that privilege," find a dealership and try not to get screwed too badly.

You still won't be the first person to fart in it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The tiny little auxiliary rear axle motor on the Prius AWD is potentially active between speeds of zero and 7 mph. It is intended to possibly get you unstuck from a snowy parking lot. It is primarily a marketing gimmick.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

In other news of things I asked the thread about besides the tractor, my wife put in an order today for a 2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 AWD for only about $1500 over MSRP, which considering how much literally every single other truck is going for, is actually really reasonable. Should get it in a month.

Thanks again, thread!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Some Toyota dealers still sell at msrp as a sticking point, you can shop around while you wait if you feel like it. Toyota “orders” are really just allocations on trucks already coming to that dealer. Meaning it’s very easy to get your $500 deposit back if you want to buy from another dealer. I got it back twice anyways. The truck will probably sell before it hits the lot so they couldn’t care less.

Great truck though, I love my ‘21 off road

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The tiny little auxiliary rear axle motor on the Prius AWD is potentially active between speeds of zero and 7 mph. It is intended to possibly get you unstuck from a snowy parking lot. It is primarily a marketing gimmick.

Ahaha that's exactly what this review article I came across suggests:

quote:

Review: 2020 Toyota Prius AWD-e isn’t what you think
By Aaron Turpen
January 30, 2020

Long synonymous with “efficiency,” the Prius has been steadily losing sales over the past several years as consumer interest in the quirky hatchback has dwindled. Even the allure of over 50 mpg (4.7 l/100km) on the daily drive hasn’t been enough to keep the Prius on top. The current-generation Prius underwent a facelift that helped make it more mainstream in appearance, but to no avail. Toyota is hoping that adding more all-weather stability to the car synonymous with “hybrid efficiency” will help. And it might.
Seems like the reviewer was driving it around without snow tires though.

Thanks to all the people that have replied BTW, it's been very helpful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Little baby 7mph motors that get you out of inches of snow is probably the right amount of AWD if your needs are some vague muttering about weather and not because you want a sports or performance/utility vehicle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

Little baby 7mph motors that get you out of inches of snow is probably the right amount of AWD if your needs are some vague muttering about weather and not because you want a sports or performance/utility vehicle.

The reasons for having AWD in 99% of snow conditions start and stop at "I'm at a literal standstill and I can't get going without burying myself deeper" and "I'm on an icy hill and if any of my wheels slip even a little, I'm going to rotate sideways before sliding into a ditch."

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

The reasons for having AWD in 99% of snow conditions start and stop at "I'm at a literal standstill and I can't get going without burying myself deeper" and "I'm on an icy hill and if any of my wheels slip even a little, I'm going to rotate sideways before sliding into a ditch."

Smdh. Here we go again. I will destroy your miata with my 4wd hi

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honda's maintenance minder in particular will actually track almost every regular service the car needs, not just engine oil - it has similar monitors for transmission fluid life, and a timer for a coolant flush / valve adjustment at 100k.

It's a wonderful system until you find yourself hitting the yearly interval for oil changes instead of the mileage based, and then you get to keep track of it separately.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Am I insane for thinking a 2009 volvo station wagon with 180k miles for 8 grand isn't a terrible idea? What brands should I be looking at given that I'm probably going to have to get something with more than 100k miles on it? Honda and toyota I know, but I'm seeing a lot of Nissans and I don't have any experience with them other than having an altima for 3 months before my neighbor took it out running a red light.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 23, 2022

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a good idea unless you aim to become a Volvo enthusiast rather than just buy a car. And if you want to go the Volvo enthusiast route you’ll want to be researching every year/model/whatever combo in Volvo enthusiast sites before you buy your dream P2 and begin stage 0 fixing all the things that are going to break.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My old one was super reliable at 150k miles and I loved it to death so I was hoping it was a general trend with the brand, sounds like I just lucked out on a good one. Lame. I love the frumpy as gently caress look too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Autonation said my 2014 Accord with 118k miles on it was worth 10,600 so I took it in for the "real appraisal" and they said it was worth 8,600 saying it had rock chips on the front end and the windshield was pitted I was like "aww geez, I'm sorry, I thought you understood this was a used 2014 Honda with 118k miles not a brand new 2014 Honda with 118k miles."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Good lord buying a vehicle through a dealer is a pain in the dick. I've been here an hour getting hard sold an extended warranty and watching a dude click a mouse and attempt to print out 10 sheets of paper half a dozen times.
Give me private sale any day. Here is the money, give me the car and a bill of sale. I'd rather spend an hour and a half waiting for my number to be called at the ICBC office getting plates than go through this bs again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Good lord buying a vehicle through a dealer is a pain in the dick. I've been here an hour getting hard sold an extended warranty and watching a dude click a mouse and attempt to print out 10 sheets of paper half a dozen times.
Give me private sale any day. Here is the money, give me the car and a bill of sale. I'd rather spend an hour and a half waiting for my number to be called at the ICBC office getting plates than go through this bs again.

My last car purchase was through a broker and for $500 he found the car, ordered it for me, gave me an honest opinion on lease details and declined all the warranty bullshit. I just showed up to the dealership and signed some paperwork and left with my car 15 minutes later. A+ would recommend.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Double check all the numbers each time they leave the room and come back and try to get you to sign something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My last new car dealer experience was surprisingly awesome. It was right before car market ragnarok so we all knew how far we were going past MSRP + incentives (i.e. nowhere). The accountant in the fish tank was like "you're probably not going to sign anything extra, huh?" and the hardest sell he did was on oil change vouchers. For the trade in I told them I had a title but not with me and they took me on faith and said "well ok, bring it in in a few days."

It was all so smooth, I had to have been ripped off on something but I still don't see what. OK, the trade in was poo poo, but I'd pay a similar difference just to have the same dream test drive to own pipeline next time I'm in the market.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

My last new car dealer experience was surprisingly awesome. It was right before car market ragnarok so we all knew how far we were going past MSRP + incentives (i.e. nowhere). The accountant in the fish tank was like "you're probably not going to sign anything extra, huh?" and the hardest sell he did was on oil change vouchers. For the trade in I told them I had a title but not with me and they took me on faith and said "well ok, bring it in in a few days."

I think a lot of this is spine/demeanor. If you appear to know what you're doing they know they have almost nowhere to go. The average buyer does not have this because very few people buy cars all that much and even fewer have any sort of negotiating experience.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My mother is an amazing car price negotiator and it's because she's a cranky old lady and doesn't give a poo poo about cars. Which aren't really things that can be taught but the easiest way to emulate it is to just randomly get up and walk out of the dealership with a pissed off look on your face.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Double check all the numbers each time they leave the room and come back and try to get you to sign something.

The actual car salesman was a gem. The numbers were already agreed upon in writing and signed. The finance dude today though, he was a piece of work. His entire job was, as far as I can tell, to sell an extended warranty. He was told politely to pound sand, then firmly to pound sand, and then as we're waiting for the reg guy to get the plates, he comes out to the waiting room to try to explain why his foot is lodged so firmly in his mouth. Like, dig up, stupid! Can you not see every word that comes out of your mouth makes this worse?
But of course he could not, for if he could, he would not be selling extended warranties for a living.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, you also can get the thing were the sales person agrees to the terms etc and then the finance guy comes back with a different number (not by much like $1500 or something) and when you catch it says "yeah but this is my price!" :newlol:

They literally did this to my senior aged mother when we were trying to get her a used SUV a few years ago when I walked out to the parking lot to check on her dog. I come back in and I caught it - went in to the finance office and said, fix the numbers now please or we walk.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I got my Tacoma for about 1100 ish below msrp back in July (well, the deal happened in April, picked up in July) through a car buying service. Cost me about 150 bucks or so for the service.

Dealer experience was pretty awful though.

The lady who "sold" it to me was nice, but she left the dealer to go work somewhere else (no big deal TBH) during the time between when it was ordered and the time it showed up. An email saying "hey, I'm moving to different place, (new salesperson) will be taking care of you so please direct any questions/concerns to them" would have been good I guess.

At least one of my emails between me and her was CC'd to the sales manager, so I emailed him when the delivery time was getting close. He passed me off to a salesman who didn't bother getting in touch with me until I had emailed him like 3 times and then emailed the sales manager back saying I hadn't heard from (sales guy). Within minutes, of bitching to the sales manager via email I get a call from the salesman. I asked him about some dealer installed parts and he said he'd get back to me. Didn't. Emailed him so I'd have a record of it, and he called me a day later saying

quote:

"parts are unavailable from Toyota"
. I didn't believe him so I emailed the local dealer where I get my Corolla serviced. Got an email back within an hour:

quote:

"my warehouse shows several kits in stock, and we have one here as well"
. I emailed the salesman back and was all like "yup, the local dealer to me say their warehouse has several in stock, PERHAPS THEY USE A DIFFERENT WAREHOUSE THAN YOUR DEALER, I'd be willing to buy the kit, and bring it to you so it can be installed before delivery". Both dealers are less than an hour drive from each other so I doubt they use a different warehouse.

Well, all of a sudden "oh yeah, looks like we can get the parts after all hah!! Sorry about that".

One day they called me and were all like "yeah we're still not sure when it will be here" so I didn't rush to get insurance for it. That was on a Thursday. That Saturday I get a call "your truck is ready to be picked up, when will you be here"? Oh for gently caress sake!!!

Guy from work drove me up there the next Saturday to pick it up at 11 in the morning and the fuckin sales guy was over an hour late. Had to sit there like a jerkoff waiting for him.

gently caress Brampton East Toyota.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Write that up in a public review site, Toyota corporate will actually really care about that a lot and the dealer actually will get yelled at.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah, you also can get the thing were the sales person agrees to the terms etc and then the finance guy comes back with a different number (not by much like $1500 or something) and when you catch it says "yeah but this is my price!" :newlol:

They literally did this to my senior aged mother when we were trying to get her a used SUV a few years ago when I walked out to the parking lot to check on her dog. I come back in and I caught it - went in to the finance office and said, fix the numbers now please or we walk.

I suspect he was trying that trick on, showing me just a number on the screen which represented my monthly payment, which was not congruent with what I knew was the payment. Do a quick math on my phone to check what the number should be, and say "can I see how that breaks down?"
"Sure thing, in a minute, the bank paperwork is upstairs." Like, I watched you print the loving bank forms out 45 minutes later. Once you figured out how the printer worked.
I guess that was the test the waters number fudge to see what he could get away with before adding the warranty payment to it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I bought my Tacoma over the phone with a dealer at msrp. First I put down a deposit, then when it showed up on lot, they emailed me the paperwork and I signed physical copies when they delivered the truck to my door.

The salesman went through the extended warranty options for about 10 minutes on the phone, asking am I sure 3 times to every no, apologizing a bunch and saying they make him do it, lol. I carefully double checked paperwork they sent me to make sure they didn’t add anything or mess with the rate. They did have one error with not applying a rebate but fixed it after I texted the salesman.

I never actually dealt with a finance manager, which is a first for dealers in my experience.

Overall it was a positive experience but the warranty part is definitely the most uncomfortable shadiest poo poo ever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bird with big dick posted:

My mother is an amazing car price negotiator and it's because she's a cranky old lady and doesn't give a poo poo about cars. Which aren't really things that can be taught but the easiest way to emulate it is to just randomly get up and walk out of the dealership with a pissed off look on your face.

My mom thinks she's an amazing car price negotiator. She has bragged to me about getting the clear coat for free because she got the extended warranty on several car purchases :negative:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're gonna want that TruCoat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I still dont have title or registration for my Tiguan I bought from Vroom on November 27th. They finally fedexed the forms to me at the end of december, I got them turned around in less than 24 hours including smog check and a VIN check (at DMV! I could have registered the car myself if they'd sent me signed poo poo!) and my temp tags expire in four days. Vroom support lady claims theyll send me new temp tags asap. Great. How about just register the loving car instead?

Google vroom registration delays and you'll find hundreds of complaints. BBB rating in Texas where they're based is an F. There's a law firm advertising help to Vroom customers. Texas law requires dealers to register & transfer title within 45 days.

I thought all the online purchase and delivery services were equivalent... carvana, etc. They are not.

I loving wish I'd just dealt with one day of hassle at a real dealership. At least at the end of the day, I'd be able to prove I owned the drat thing.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I still dont have title or registration for my Tiguan I bought from Vroom on November 27th. They finally fedexed the forms to me at the end of december, I got them turned around in less than 24 hours including smog check and a VIN check (at DMV! I could have registered the car myself if they'd sent me signed poo poo!) and my temp tags expire in four days. Vroom support lady claims theyll send me new temp tags asap. Great. How about just register the loving car instead?

Google vroom registration delays and you'll find hundreds of complaints. BBB rating in Texas where they're based is an F. There's a law firm advertising help to Vroom customers. Texas law requires dealers to register & transfer title within 45 days.

I thought all the online purchase and delivery services were equivalent... carvana, etc. They are not.

I loving wish I'd just dealt with one day of hassle at a real dealership. At least at the end of the day, I'd be able to prove I owned the drat thing.

That sucks. I feel your pain.

Last summer Carvana took something like 50 days to get me a title and it took me getting in touch with the local office (who presumably knew state law and that I was within my rights to unwind the deal) to get a new temp tag issued when my first one expired. At the end of the day they got it all sorted out, it just took a little longer and was more stressful than I had hoped.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I bought a car from Carvana back in July. It went pretty easy overall, but they didn't supply the paperwork in the best way for the local treasurer to understand, so I had to pay an extra $1400 in sales tax to register my car (I waited until the last day because I'm a responsible adult) and then figure out who I needed the money back from after the fact. Turns out it was from the great state of Kansas, so that only took about two months after filing the paperwork.

Aside from that and that I received my car with a poo poo battery that died immediately after leaving the Carvana location, it went pretty well. Fun fact: if this happens to you, if you get ahold of the warranty company and manage to convince them to let you replace it yourself, you end up being reimbursed for any battery, not just the cheapest available as you would expect.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i for one really enjoy how all of the super innovative players that make car buying easy are in fact not really making car buying easy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My Chevy was going for insane numbers on Carvana so I sold it to them in an entireless painless and fun transaction.

I spent about a week looking around and settled on a Hyundai Hybrid. Dealer had it for like 19550 and while they wouldn't completely remove the KARR and "anti-scratch" line items they were able to price it down to just about 18,000 because "it's Friday and pretty slow". It was pretty painless getting the paperwork done. Price was as quoted, no upsells, had my own financing, but the audio system was a mess since the old owner tore out their aftermarket amp -- the old speakers were there and it took me a few hours to get it back to stock.

Would have been out of there in about 2 hours but the finance guy missigned the check so I had to hit the credit union to get a replacement.

Two other places I called were either:
* NO HAGGLE COME IN NOW (also we will send you no paperwork despite explicitly asking for numbers or anything really).
* Hey happy to help coming in at 10? Great see you on a few ... *10 minutes before meeting scheduled* oh also the car you asked for sold yesterday but we have many other great choices...

A while ago we used Vroom and aside from the price being good it was a lot of stress when we decided "oh we'll take care of the registration!" (Texas DMV was either frozen or dead from.covid so the offices were closed for months).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i for one really enjoy how all of the super innovative players that make car buying easy are in fact not really making car buying easy
I don't know, I got my prius through Carvana after a couple weeks of dealerships being completely unhelpful and overpriced, and everything went fine, took ten minutes to review all the papers and sign. Same with selling to Carmax. I'm sure I could have gotten better deals but after a few weeks of attempting DIY, it was nice to not have to do any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

moana posted:

I don't know, I got my prius through Carvana after a couple weeks of dealerships being completely unhelpful and overpriced, and everything went fine
Carvana's typically one of the more mature, and well funded, of the online sales options, so it's no surprise they'd prioritize a measure of customer satisfaction and ease. You're already paying more than a comparable dealer so if they don't absolutely nail the experience you're left feeling pretty negatively about the whole experienxe.

The also-rans promise the same kind of no hassle experience but have a long way to go before they're building out Car Vending Machines.

With Vroom, specifically, the CS line goes to a bank of people and there's never a "case manager" for your purchase. And there's no interaction between Sales, CS, and Finance. So if Finance loses your check, no one's going to know what the gently caress is going on. Which is quite stressful and very far from the advertised ease of experience.