Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i found a racing car bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Seems to be on average $5-10 cheaper per tire at Costco. Outside of sales, 5 year road hazard included seems to be the big bonus. I guess nitrogen fill as well, if you believe in that sort of thing.

They don't appear to let you buy tires outside of OEM sizing for your vehicle?

I don't know about that 5 year, my roommate got tires and the next day some bad poo poo happened but the Costco tire center she went to refused to accept that they needed to fix it.

The tire blew out literally one day after replacement, and when she called they told her she needed to pay for a new tire if she wanted it replaced.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i found a racing car bed

I go to Costco with my wife

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
My costco food court doesnt have salads anymore:smith:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

My costco food court doesnt have salads anymore:smith:

I miss the chicken caesar salad badly. You can still get a large version inside but I miss the single serving ones at the foodcourt.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I dont need that much salad >:^( ! But i wish i knew ahead of time

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Omfg the Kirkland tiramisu is loving delicious

My wife loved it but I didn’t care for it - found it to have a strange unpleasant boozy flavor and lo and behold it has rum or rum extract in it. Alcohol in desserts is all well and good but it was just too much for me in their tiramisu.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I dont need that much salad >:^( ! But i wish i knew ahead of time

You don’t win friends with salad

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i found a racing car bed

Does it come in king?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The perfect bed to sleep in with my wife

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*puts BMW ///M badge on bed*

:ninja:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

The Midniter posted:

My wife loved it but I didn’t care for it - found it to have a strange unpleasant boozy flavor and lo and behold it has rum or rum extract in it. Alcohol in desserts is all well and good but it was just too much for me in their tiramisu.

That's fair. I've had a lot of bad tiramisu lately so I'm elated

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i got some tiramisu from costco once that came in little glass cups. the tiramisu was fine but the glasses were nice enough to save and i use them pretty often when i want just a lil drink. PBUC

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I bought the ones in glasses before and they are good but the glasses are so thick that you get much less than you think you are.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

thathonkey posted:

i got some tiramisu from costco once that came in little glass cups. the tiramisu was fine but the glasses were nice enough to save and i use them pretty often when i want just a lil drink. PBUC

I bought some creme brulee package and did the same thing. The glass containers are great and I use them a lot for cooking when I need a small bowl for something little like a spice mixture or whatever.

I guess they were useful when I tried my hand at making homemade creme brulee too I suppose.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pentyne posted:

I don't know about that 5 year, my roommate got tires and the next day some bad poo poo happened but the Costco tire center she went to refused to accept that they needed to fix it.

The tire blew out literally one day after replacement, and when she called they told her she needed to pay for a new tire if she wanted it replaced.

Seems to be standard fine print?

quote:

What is covered:
"Road hazard failure" is defined as a tire that becomes unserviceable due to cuts, non-repairable punctures or impact damage. Costco Wholesale will repair tires with treadface injuries in accordance with established USTMA (United States Tire Manufacturers Association) standards.
This warranty covers road hazard failures in passenger, performance and light truck tires purchased from Costco Wholesale.
This warranty is valid for 60 months from the date of purchase, or until the tire reaches 1.6 mm (2/32 of an inch) or less in remaining tread depth regardless of age, whichever occurs first. When a tire has 1.6 mm (2/32 of an inch) or less in tread depth, it is considered worn out and this warranty does not apply.
This warranty provides credit based upon remaining usable tread at the time of failure due to road hazard.
"Usable tread" is defined as the original tread depth of a tire less 1.6 mm (2/32 of an inch).
Credit is determined by multiplying the usable remaining tread by the price you paid for the tire net of all discounts received.
This warranty is a promise under certain conditions to give credit on a pro-rated basis towards the purchase of a new tire. This warranty does not imply that tires sold by Costco Wholesale meet certain specifications or cannot fail. This warranty does not replace or modify any original tire manufacturer’s warranty on material and workmanship.

What is not covered:
A tire that is damaged/failed due to vandalism.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to an accident.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to commercial use.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to racing.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to off-road use.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to snow chains or studs.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to rapid or irregular wear.
A tire that is damaged/failed due to wear from worn or improperly - adjusted or -maintained mechanical components on the vehicle.
Tires transferred from the vehicle on which they were originally installed.
Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle or consequential damage except where and to the extent prohibited by law.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Has Costco phased out their Kirkland Signature brand motor oil? Tigard, Or store didn't even have a bay for it and the next closest place had exactly 1 case with a sign saying, "This is the last one."

It was pretty great deal on 5w/30 synthetic, would be sorry to see it go. I didn't think to check the price there on the aisle and I think the receipt is long gone already.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This has been bugging me for years: I can’t make the math work on changing my own oil. By the time you buy all you need, pay the disposal fees, you’re coming maybe a few bucks ahead. How is it possibly worth your time not to just drop it off at the closest oil change place?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Because I'm doing 35 oil changes every 3-4 months or so, it's a work purchase.

However, the advantage in my opinion to doing your own oil changes vs taking to a Jiffy Lube is:

a. No waiting in line, do things at your own pace, have a beer or whatever
b. No idiots* touching your car

If you have service covered through a dealership or whatever then yeah, definitely do that. But I have a hard time with the drive through type places.

*Well, still 1 idiot

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 23, 2022

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

6 quarts of full synthetic is under $30, much less when Costco has it on sale. An oil filter is $5-10. With practice you can do it in under 20 minutes. Drop off used oil at the car parts store for free.

A full synthetic change around here is going to run $70-80 at a shop/quick lube place.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Inspector 34 posted:

Never again will I deal with over-torqued drain bolts or oil filters. Filters especially, you can put them on too tight with just your hands, it doesn't need to go on so hard :negative:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Inspector 34 posted:

Because I'm doing 35 oil changes every 3-4 months or so, it's a work purchase.

However, the advantage in my opinion to doing your own oil changes vs taking to a Jiffy Lube is:

a. No waiting in line, do things at your own pace, have a beer or whatever

If you have service covered through a dealership or whatever then yeah, definitely do that. But I have a hard time with the drive through type places.

*Well, still 1 idiot

Jiffy Lube, and probably others, are notorious for hard sale tactics to get you to do other maintenance things while you're there. Good example is bringing in your air filter to show you it's the worst air filter they've ever seen regardless of when you last changed it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I ordered a giant sectional couch from Costco, will probably need to take one of the middle seats out so it’ll fit in my living room. Praise be.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

poisonpill posted:

This has been bugging me for years: I can’t make the math work on changing my own oil. By the time you buy all you need, pay the disposal fees, you’re coming maybe a few bucks ahead. How is it possibly worth your time not to just drop it off at the closest oil change place?

An oil change on my truck is $125 at a shop.

It takes 4 gallons of 5w40 diesel oil. I buy OEM filters for $6. A 3-gallon pack of Kirkland from Costco is $33 on sale. I buy them 4 at a time. $11/gallon.

$44 in oil, $6 in filter and 20 minutes of my time. No jack needed, and disposal is free (isn't it everywhere?). $75 saved for 20 minutes invested. $225 an hour... I'll take that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Inspector 34 posted:

Has Costco phased out their Kirkland Signature brand motor oil? Tigard, Or store didn't even have a bay for it and the next closest place had exactly 1 case with a sign saying, "This is the last one."

It was pretty great deal on 5w/30 synthetic, would be sorry to see it go. I didn't think to check the price there on the aisle and I think the receipt is long gone already.

I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't make the numbers work on it. At one point it was something like $30 for two five quart jugs which is cheap for any oil, let alone synthetic.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
oil changes have crept up from the 60-75$ range to 100+$. it can be rewarding to do your own work

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thathonkey posted:

oil changes have crept up from the 60-75$ range to 100+$. it can be rewarding to do your own work

I wonder why that is

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Jiffy Lube, and probably others, are notorious for hard sale tactics to get you to do other maintenance things while you're there. Good example is bringing in your air filter to show you it's the worst air filter they've ever seen regardless of when you last changed it.

One of those places did that to me once and then forgot to put the air filter back in. Like I hop in my car and it’s just sitting on the passenger seat.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I wonder why that is

Probably the sense of accomplishment and mild endorphin rush from physical activity

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Went today for a few things. (Monster ULTRA, Roti Chicken, almond milk, double STUFFED garlic/jalap olives)

Bought these as soon as I saw the label. These things are awesome.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I recently picked up everything I need for an oil change solely because Costco had their oil on sale for so loving cheap last year. It's about time to change it now but it's sooooo cold out and I'm lazy so I might pay for it again instead of learning how to do that all over again. It's been many years since I've changed oil on my car. That was my 1997 Toyota Camry (great car).

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna need a trip report on those pickles. They look bomb

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
My brother bought those pickles and they are heaven… he’s in OH and we don’t get them down here TX

My 2 cents on oil changes. I was given the advice from a mechanic friend when I got my first car that it just wasn’t worth it to do your own oil changes so despite having done extensive work on my own cars over the years, I’ve never changed my own oil. To each their own, as long as it gets done I say. I have had them mess things up before, so I agree to be vigilant. (Cross threaded oil drain plug, but they made it right)

I just today had the oil changed in our old dodge that we’re giving to a family member and it was $42.99 at our local place. I watched the guy top off all of the fluids, check the tires, etc and I feel like I got my moneys worth

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

Gonna need a trip report on those pickles. They look bomb

Mild heat (I use habanero hot sauce on everything fwiw). Nice small cloves of garlic in there to munch on as well. Good crunch. Basically an improvement on the other mini gherkins they've carried for awhile.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
An oil change for my Subaru Forester is over $100 now. :(

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Chinatown posted:

Went today for a few things. (Monster ULTRA, Roti Chicken, almond milk, double STUFFED garlic/jalap olives)

Bought these as soon as I saw the label. These things are awesome.

My co only had these once and they were great. Now i have to settle for larger not as tasty but still good garlic pickles... I'm jealous

Also my pickle loving girlfriend always used the ford dealership to get her oil changed. They left the drain plug loose one time so she was running on oil fumes for a while and they didn't give her anything to make it right. Can't trust anyone for even the simplest jobs.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I know how to change my own oil. I'm getting older but I'm still nimble enough that I could scoot around under my car and change it with no problem if I needed to and I'm cheap enough to do it to save myself a couple bucks because I don't value my time at all.

I also know myself well enough to know that I'd never get around to disposing the old oil and I'd just slowly pile up old oil in a corner of my garage indefinitely which, even if my house doesn't catch on fire, seems like a bad idea.

So I pay to get my oil changed then make up for the $$$ by buying Kirkland paper towels instead of Bounty.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cockblocktopus posted:

I know how to change my own oil. I'm getting older but I'm still nimble enough that I could scoot around under my car and change it with no problem if I needed to and I'm cheap enough to do it to save myself a couple bucks because I don't value my time at all.

I also know myself well enough to know that I'd never get around to disposing the old oil and I'd just slowly pile up old oil in a corner of my garage indefinitely which, even if my house doesn't catch on fire, seems like a bad idea.

So I pay to get my oil changed then make up for the $$$ by buying Kirkland paper towels instead of Bounty.

I would never buy Bounty and if they're sold out of Kirkland paper towels I will buy those towel dispenser refills and just use those.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Went to pick up some stuff to change the wife’s oil on her new Subaru, the guy running the place brought up a good point, taking it into a shop provides a paper trail in case any kind of warranty issues pop up. I’d have never thought of that cause all my cars have been old as poo poo. Or in the case of my ‘66 bug an oil change was dumping in a quart every couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

I had five 5-quart containers of old oil lined up against the garage wall at one point. Lately I've been getting rid of it immediately though.