Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
This is a thread for talking about exquisite levels/maps/floors/dungeons/overworlds found in video games. We're talking about World 1-1, Norfair, E3M9 (Warrens), 2fort, and so on.

Here's one of my all time favorites:
Grid from Perfect Dark (N64)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCnhXOWwiVU
This match features a 1v1 battle with a Dark Sim, the most difficult AI configuration in the game. Dark Sims teleport around the map when radar is disabled, are faster than humans, and can operate fly-by-wire rockets rather than dummy firing them.

Grid is a multiplayer map designed to look similar to the lobby from The Matrix. It has two big rooms on opposite ends of the map, one of which spans two stories. The big, pillared rooms are linked by narrow hallways on the 1st and 2nd floors, which are complicated by a handful of smaller rooms and stairwells. An elevator links the northern large room on the first floor to the southern large room on the second floor, allowing a shortcut past cramped corridors, though players may find themselves face to face with enemies without warning. Perfect Dark featured a robust bot system, supporting up to 8 at a time, plus 4 human players. Fights with many participants tend to happen in the two large rooms, with smaller confrontations piling up in the hallways and spilling into peripheral rooms, where time to kill is short. During smaller matches, like 1v1 or 2v2, the various enclosed areas restrict information, and force players to rely on the sounds of foot steps, gunfire, and door noises. Best played without radar.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

nice thread idea. imma think of a few while i work tomorrow

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
E1L1 - Hollywood Holocaust from Duke Nukem 3D ranks highly for me, both in that it's a fun introduction to the game, and that it provides a strong mission statement for the subsequent game to follow.

The map isn't enormously large or complex in layout, but it's more open than it looks, in that each area usually has more than one entrance. This means that there are a number of different approaches and shortcuts when it comes to fighting your way into, through and out of the cinema complex the map revolves around. You can even skip large chunks if you know what you're doing, which is always a fun plus! In addition, the set-dressing helps sell the idea that you're fighting through a sleazy cinema instead of the traditionally abstract level design of the era - each non-secret room has a clear purpose and reason for being there, with a bar, toilets and an arcade accompanying the screening room itself.

In effect, this level is the game both gradually introducing its various mechanics (destroyable environments, inventory items, jumping and ducking...) while also slapping its cards down on the table about its attitude and approach (sleazy real-world-ish environments, multiple approaches, lots of secrets...). It's a good "mission statement level", and I love seeing how good mission statement levels stake their claim.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
E4M2 - Perfect Hatred

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/E4M2:_Perfect_Hatred_(Doom)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aU2AEukwUE

it's hard to make a hard Doom 1 level. it was probably not noted at the time, because most people weren't actually very good at FPSes yet (it would take a few years before mouselook/WSAD became standard), but Doom 1 had a fundamental flaw which is a lot more obvious if you play it nowadays - the game has almost no enemies which pose a threat to a moving player in open space. so if you want to make a hard doom 1 level, you generally have to restrict player movement, which is sometimes considered unenjoyable.

anyway E4M2 is the best level in Doom 1, and one of the greatest Doom levels ever made. Romero supposedly made this in six hours, and it's almost certainly the hardest level not only in the game, but harder than any of the levels in Doom II- you really have to get to Final Doom to get to anything this hard in the retail levels. restricting player movement here is the name of the game - the center of the level is four platforms over a damaging floor, a late section is a maze-like area in rocky corridors where map knowledge of ammo packs is crucial, and there's a bunch of cacos and barons doing what they do best - acting as meat shields.

no other level in the game puts you under such constant pressure from beginning to end. the relatively open central cave with restricted movement means the player has to take down hitscanners, clear out the meat-shield enemies crowding the central platforms (which in itself is practically a resource management problem) avoid shots, and make jumps all while standing in the open. some Doom levels seemed to lean more into the moody maze-shooter exploration mode, especially in episodes 2/3 - this one almost anticipated where high end map design would go in the future (particularly in PLUTONIA.wad aka Final Doom) with its obsession for never giving the player a single second to breathe.

and it does it without a single Doom 2 enemy. amazing level.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 23, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's been years since I played it but Heretic's E1M5, "The Citadel" is a wonderful level that definitely gives a feeling of small-town structure within it, despite the various limitations of the Doom engine. I remember playing and replaying this level so often, because of its sense of place. Great stuff. And of course, no room over room, but it's like this level was made so well that you either didn't notice or didn't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKO2T36bATY

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
E2M1 - SPACEPORT from Duke Nukem 3D is one of my all time favorite levels from the game, and from a lot of shooters. As a wee lad Duke Nukem Total Meltdown was the one game I got with a PlayStation for Christmas, so I played the poo poo out of it. I didn't know much about FPS games, but I did see a lot of R Rated movies, so I loved Dukes style, even if my mom disapproved, my dad thought he was hilarious. When I was finally able to beat the battlelord, and get to the second episode I was flabbergasted. You're in freaking outer space. You can see the moon, the earth, stars, and even a dickhead in an enemy ship circling the space station trying to blow you up. I love how you can go back into the ship you came on and read the distress message you're answering. I love how vertical the map is, and how you start with the big guns right away. RPG, extra ammo, atomic health. This whole episode is about close quarters battles juxtaposed with the vastness of space, and the moon, but there is just something about Spaceport that I just cannot forget.

"Nobody steals our chicks... and lives."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't have the same fondness for shooters as a lot of people, so the first/favourite thing that jumped into my mind as far as level design goes is Senpou Temple from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

This is probably my favourite level in a game full of perfectly crafted action game levels. It retains the verticality that makes Ashina Castle great, but also creates a real sense of exploration with three extremely great visual payoff moments as you move through the outer pagodas, across the bridge to the temple proper and then finally the still peaceful inner sanctum. It's a real end to end journey through this beautiful, corrupted location that concludes with answers and more questions. Then it all culminates in a return later that is really incredible. There's also a huge amount of discovery in the level with hidden alcoves, rooms and fights to discover that all tend to come with some visual storytelling or item lore that enriches the zone further. It completes the sense of mystery and adventure in Sekiro for me and I love it very much.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

JBP posted:

I don't have the same fondness for shooters as a lot of people, so the first/favourite thing that jumped into my mind as far as level design goes is Senpou Temple from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

This is probably my favourite level in a game full of perfectly crafted action game levels. It retains the verticality that makes Ashina Castle great, but also creates a real sense of exploration with three extremely great visual payoff moments as you move through the outer pagodas, across the bridge to the temple proper and then finally the still peaceful inner sanctum. It's a real end to end journey through this beautiful, corrupted location that concludes with answers and more questions. Then it all culminates in a return later that is really incredible. There's also a huge amount of discovery in the level with hidden alcoves, rooms and fights to discover that all tend to come with some visual storytelling or item lore that enriches the zone further. It completes the sense of mystery and adventure in Sekiro for me and I love it very much.

If you've never been, you should really visit the Kiyomizudera temple in Kyoto some time. Senpou Temple feels largely like it was based on it.
Senpou Temple also has one of the very rare times in a From game where a "Try jumping" note over a seemingly impossible gap is actually useful advice.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

E1M1 is a statement and an embodiment of everything id had learned during development of Doom.

You start the game with a view of a two corpses, one a barely recognizable lump of exploded flesh, the other something that looks a whole lot like you, which is about as much storytelling as you're going to get. While you stand in shadow, in front of you is an open window where light is flooding into the room. Everything still feels a little orthogonal though, then you go to look out the window.

At the end of the first episode of Wolfenstein 3D "outside" is represented as a Wile E. Coyote wall texture. Here, there is an actual outside, but not just decorative. There's some armor out there sitting in a nasty looking lake and a path that leads there! First person action games aren't just slogs inside castles, space stations and office buildings any more. That there is a round lake. The buildings aren't made up of 90 degree angles and are viewable from outside! You do a little more exploring, mostly well lit high tech environments filled with easy to kill zombies, then you reach the Zig Zag.

At a time when real-time 3D worlds were largely made up of big chunky blocks, this was a revelation. At face value it's a nonsensical zig zag pathway over some green slime, but it's mere existence onscreen broke so many rules of what was expected from 3D games at that time that it really felt like anything was possible. It wasn't realistic, it didn't make a lick of sense architecturally, but it's a fantastic at demonstrating how different and superior their technology they created was. Verticality is demonstrated too, with imps perched out of reach raining fireballs down on you.

But Doom's achievements aren't just in geometry, but lighting. While primitive, diminishing lighting and sector-based brightness grounded the environments and served a gameplay purpose. Doom was scary in it's day, particularly on the dimmer CRT monitors at the time, something they seemed to figure out later in development as Knee Deep in the Dead is more prominently filled with claustrophobic, dimly lit areas than later episodes.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 25, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i know it's not news to anyone in this thread, but the original doom levels are strikingly good and hold up well today. i like tim rogers' take that any creator of 3d game levels is basically reckoning with issues solved by doom's designers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've been trying to think of how to write up Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts but I really just can't capture how it is.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
the tower of latria, obvi

suddenly your 3rd person action rpg is a horror game

also the castle in re4. that's the absolute climax of the game's tone and aesthetic. its the rocket booster that propels that game to unassailable brilliance

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The entirety of Resident Evil 1’s mansion is probably the greatest environment in all of games IMO. It creates an atmosphere of dread and (for the player) coziness (in the “telling horror stories around a campfire” sense) that has yet to be surpassed. Honestly RE1 on PS1 is my ideal of “horror game you play late at night in the dark while snowed in and sipping whisky.” It’s a very specific vibe but I don’t know that any game hits it better.

Metal Gear Solid also gets a nod for Shadow Moses. Despite the blocky graphics, MGS1 really created a sense of place with its setting. The entire stretch from press start through crawling under the big internal hanger door to avoid the lasers is probably the gold standard in terms of stealth action gameplay and I’m not sure we’ve eclipsed it - 24 years on we still haven’t improved upon the (sadly revoked in future installments) “mash square to get rapid fire grunts and ultimately snap a neck” technique.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having played it just last year, the area that stuck most in my mind from Dead Space 2 is the Church of Unitology. I see it talked up a lot whenever the game gets brought up, and with very good reason.

The first thing that stands out is that this is one of the only truly looping sections of Dead Space 2. You go back over certain areas as the story progresses, but usually only as a corridor to get to a new area. The Church, meanwhile, takes a Dark Souls-esque twist: the West Foyer effectively serves as the bonfire, with the save station, store, and upgrade bench, and progression through the level unlocks shortcuts that bring you back to that area. I'm normally rather nonplussed about this kind of design in games - it's clever, and I like it when I see it, but it's not necessary to sell the world as an interconnected whole - but it works remarkably well here. The setting and atmosphere Dead Space 2 is trying to sell with the Church - you're trapped inside of it and you know the whole loving thing is crawling with monsters - makes the looping setup effective at both allowing you to progress through the Church while, at the same time, keeping the feeling of you being hopelessly trapped and unable to move forwards.

Aesthetically, the Church functions in layers that are gradually peeled off as you work your way through it. The exterior has a clean, clinical, modern look that's clearly meant to entice new people in, followed by a museum-like parade of the religion of Unitology's founding myths and heroes. The main foyer starts taking on more of the general look of Unitologist architecture, but it's still small, warm, and inviting, meant to look more like your local neighborhood chapel. You eventually work your way through into the indoctrination offices, where promising candidates are brought more thoroughly and forcibly into the faith, feeling more like a demented dentist's office than a place of divinity. You're fighting off Necromorphs all the while, including a flying type that can turn bodies into new Necromorphs, forcing you to scramble around tight, dimly lit arenas being constantly attacked by reanimating bodies while you try to finish off the converters before you get overwhelmed.

Finally, to cap it off, you've got the Basilica, which is one of the fiendishly best arenas the game has. The areas off to the side are initially barricaded away by impassable gates and in near-total darkness. You have to descend down into the lower level to get through the door, which promptly breaks. Horrifying wailing and clattering, like demonic birdsong, are coming in from the sides, and the gates suddenly go wide and release the first Stalkers you encounter. Most Necromorphs up to this point have been fairly standard run-fast-at-you types, but Stalkers constantly work to try to outmaneuver and outflank you, using cover and moving as a unit, and they're even faster than all the Necromorphs you encountered at that point. It's loving pitch-perfect, and an absolute nervewracking nightmare to go through. I'd seen reviews of the game beforehand, so I knew exactly what was coming up, and it made the leadup almost unbearably tense for me.

Overall, it's an excellent example of an action-horror level: it starts off slow, gradually builds up both tension and challenge, and ends with a satisfyingly difficult (and uniquely terrifying) special encounter at the end. The looping design, space gothic aesthetic, and environmental storytelling all contribute to making it highly memorable even months after playing it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The subway level in max payne

Water temple in Zelda ocarina of time

Office in counterstrike

Touch fuzzy, get dizzy in Yoshi's Island

I refuse to elaborate further.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

May I submit, all of Titanfall 2’s campaign, ho ho.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SCheeseman posted:

E1M1 is a statement and an embodiment of everything id had learned during development of Doom.

E1M1 should be put into the Louvre. France can make some space for it by putting the portrait of that ugly lady in storage.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If that Masters of Doom miniseries ever gets picked up they should totally rip off this scene from Pirates of Silicon Valley when talking about E1M1.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I only played to maybe level 20 but I remember thinking blackburrow in EQ was insanely cool and dangerous

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

theres a big hole in the middle and if you shoot a gnoll in the hole dozens of gnolls come up to see you, slaughtering any low level player they encounter on the way. if you fall into the hole you need to bug someone to help you get your stuff back

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Casimir Radon posted:

May I submit, all of Titanfall 2’s campaign, ho ho.

People rightfully hype up the time travel level, but I think I prefer the one in that giant factory, where the level is built around you. Transforming levels are my favourite things in general and I wish more games did them. Hell, I wish any multiplayer games did them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mordja posted:

People rightfully hype up the time travel level, but I think I prefer the one in that giant factory, where the level is built around you. Transforming levels are my favourite things in general and I wish more games did them. Hell, I wish any multiplayer games did them.

I like the time travel gimmick level but I agree with you here, factory was the best.

I'm going to pop off another non fps in Clocktower, from Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Hell yeah I'm not elaborating.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
The Ashtray Maze from Control.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I know it gets mentioned a lot, but I'll still bring up Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows. The buildup throughout the game about this place, the hag, and the mythos around it was thick with a creepy mood. When I found out I had to actually go in, as opposed to just hearing about it, I was dreading it.. Even Garret's monologue for that level makes it sound like he's actually nervous, which is out of character. I first played this at 2:00 am with my wife asleep, and all the lights in the house off. Unwise. Definitely the most scared I've ever been playing a game.

Second place goes to the level near the end of System Shock 2 where you listen to the audio logs of a guy who went through the creature's stomach just ahead of you. The same similar situation of foreboding and creeping terror, and the sounds.

I don't think there's enough love for sound design. It can turn an otherwise unremarkable level into a timeless classic.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 25, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

I know it gets mentioned a lot, but I'll still bring up Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Yeah this is amazing

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
It’s an absolute hate crime that this thread got more than 3 posts in without mentioning facility from Goldeneye 64. You start the level in an air vent quietly shooting a man in the head while he takes a dump and it ends with you planting goddamn remote mines like a boss. We take both these type of mechanics for granted now but the fact they pulled them off so well on the N64 of all things speaks to the general quality of the game, even if the 15fps doesn’t hold up at all.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
The Clockwork Mansion from Dishonored 2

Hokkaido from HITMAN 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The city of Tarant in Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Obviously this is all seen through rose-tinted glasses, since I was deeply involved at the community around the game.

On screenshotted maps, Tarant is obviously just the size of a very small town in real life, due to engine and practicality considerations. But it feels big, due to being packed with content. Every single building can be entered in some way and explored, there are a bunch of quest lines contained entirely inside the city, plus the obligatory expansive sewers. There's a surprisingly well-stocked library to explore, just a bunch of things to see and do.

There isn't a bunch of unused inaccessible buildings for set dressing, you can go everywhere if you want (and have enough lockpicks/explosives/magick). It feels more like a real place and not like a half-fake movie set.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I'll toss up Monster Hunter World's Forest map. Expansive, always something going on. Feels like a legitimate location you'd be exploring and a whole lot to explore there is!
The whole place is massive and it's also your starting zone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

E4M2 - Perfect Hatred

This is 100% correct. E4M1 is also quite challenging though not as much as E4M2- they're Doom 1's mechanics stretched to the limit. Doom 2's enemies added a lot to the game but it was still possible to make good, challenging maps to Doom 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Panzeh posted:

This is 100% correct. E4M1 is also quite challenging though not as much as E4M2- they're Doom 1's mechanics stretched to the limit. Doom 2's enemies added a lot to the game but it was still possible to make good, challenging maps to Doom 1.

E4M2 is one of the few times pistol starting a map is almost certainly easier than not, because after E4M1 you're probably entering E4M2 with like 4 shells and 19% health.

i've never been too much of an E4M1 fan because a no-health-items gimmick is just a bit lame and makes me play more cautiously whereas E4M2 is like a panic attack

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 25, 2022

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Less a triumph of game design and more of atmosphere -- but The Outer Wall, from Cave Story.

The level hits at a low point in your character arc. Your character has failed at basically everything they've tried to achieve. Trying to rescue Sue? Nope, the Doctor's got her. Trying to find a way off the island? Professor Booster, your main lead, just fell down a hole and died. Trying to save Curly? Nope, she's sacrificed herself to stop you drowning. Trying to save the Mimigas? The Professor's kidnapped all of them too. Also, you just killed the Core and the island could fall down any moment.

The only friendly face still around is planning on escaping on a sky dragon -- the only piece of your original plan that hasn't fallen completely to pieces -- but at this point, what's the point? The Doctor is about to conquer the world anyway, you'd just be putting off the inevitable.

So you carry on into the next area, without any backup or any NPCs giving you a goal or a clear destination for the first time in the game, and this loving track kicks in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kortel posted:

I'll toss up Monster Hunter World's Forest map. Expansive, always something going on. Feels like a legitimate location you'd be exploring and a whole lot to explore there is!
The whole place is massive and it's also your starting zone.

Ancient Forest is such amazing level design.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

ultrafilter posted:

I've been trying to think of how to write up Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts but I really just can't capture how it is.

Honestly everything in Psychonauts 1 is pretty great. Even the camp overworld is really good. That run of levels in the back half of the game of Lungfishopolis/Milkman Conspiracy/Waterlooworld/Black Velvetopia is gold imo.

Also PSI King's Sensorium and Bob's Bottles in Psychonauts 2.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The Ocean House Hotel from VTMB.

It's fantastic purely on its own merits but it comes very early in the story and is a great way to remind the player of the notion that just because they're a big bad vampire they're far from knowing everything about what's going on, or being anywhere near the top of the food chain

edit: DM4 from the original Quake

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really, really appreciate the first level of Super Mario Bros 2. First of all, you start off going in a different direction than you usually did in SMB1, and then once you're out the door, you quickly realize that not only is everything different, you can backtrack.

It's just as good as teaching the player the new mechanics as SMB1's first level was. Even in the first room, you're falling down, and if you happen to land on an enemy, you'll learn immediately that you can ride them rather than stomp on them.

The POW block, subcon door-making potion, and the corresponding mushroom all show up within seconds of starting the level, plus then you've got waterfalls and the rolling logs to contend with.

My favourite part however, are the multiple paths to the end. Sure you can take the long way up to Birdo, or, by doing a little bit of searching, you'll be able to find the secret back entrance. That blew my mind as a kid, and I still appreciate the hell out of it, as well as the other levels that have multiple paths, not the least of which is the final level, 7-2.

Really interesting how the game starts and ends with that kind of thing. Level 1-1 teaches you the basics, level 7-2 puts everything you've learned to the test, with one major surprise at the end (hawk mouth).

The game is wonderful, but that starting area is :kiss:

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Undead Burg and Parish from Dark Souls really deserve a mention, imo. Think back to that first moment where you unlock the lift down to Firelink in the church. Very satisfying.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

E4M2 is one of the few times pistol starting a map is almost certainly easier than not, because after E4M1 you're probably entering E4M2 with like 4 shells and 19% health.

i've never been too much of an E4M1 fan because a no-health-items gimmick is just a bit lame and makes me play more cautiously whereas E4M2 is like a panic attack

This is true- it's a pity the rest of E4 really doesn't hold up. Id making challenging maps was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tosk posted:

Undead Burg and Parish from Dark Souls really deserve a mention, imo. Think back to that first moment where you unlock the lift down to Firelink in the church. Very satisfying.

True, that's some really good poo poo there. I loved learning that everything was closer together than originally thought. Really, really nice design.