Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so in addition to the seizing of voting machines, Trump drafted these newly released "Remarks on National Healing" in anticipation of the insurrection, where he was planning on blaming Antifa? Which shows he had foreknowledge of the insurrection and the violence that would happen, and reportedly got mad when the QAnon Shaman and Confederate Flag fools were given so much screentime which blew his cover story?

Isn't this a huge deal? Why aren't more people livid and enraged by this? Are we all just :matters: at this point?

Exhaustion probably. Like the final few months of the BBB stuff before it was formally killed, even the dead-eyed politics psychos like me were just exhausted and in a "oh a new story, whatever, talk to me when there's a vote held" holding pattern.

I'm sure it's a big deal. Sounds bad! Let me know when somebody who organized it gets perp walked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so in addition to the seizing of voting machines, Trump drafted these newly released "Remarks on National Healing" in anticipation of the insurrection, where he was planning on blaming Antifa? Which shows he had foreknowledge of the insurrection and the violence that would happen, and reportedly got mad when the QAnon Shaman and Confederate Flag fools were given so much screentime which blew his cover story?

Isn't this a huge deal? Why aren't more people livid and enraged by this? Are we all just :matters: at this point?

I already knew Trump and his cronies fomented an insurrection to try to steal an election. This isn't new information, and it *seems* like our government is incapable of holding ringleaders responsible.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bel Shazar posted:

I already knew Trump and his cronies fomented an insurrection to try to steal an election. This isn't new information, and it *seems* like our government is incapable of holding ringleaders responsible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

I mean it was obviously the strategy and everyone figured it out immediately. All the right wing outlets floated it right away, everyone you know who is an idiot was either buying it or pretending to on social media, conveniently cropped pictures of the QAnon Shaman at BLM rallies were passed around to "prove" he was a leftwing plant, but the narrative never really took off among most people because all these wealthy small business owners who kept getting arrested were so clearly Trump people and not antifa.

Having written proof is great if it gets him charged and convicted, if that still doesn't happen then it's just another egregious example of how the wealthy and powerful can get away when pretty much anything.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

No one in government is going to do anything and D&D gets very hostile when people suggest solutions beyond voting better. Being livid and outraged won't help me.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VorpalBunny posted:

Because the big question remains: who cares?

Let me rephrase. What possible difference will this make? Trump will not be punished. The republicans will not be defeated or even materially affected. No one in a position of power will be arrested. What do you imagine anyone getting livid and enraged will actually accomplish? Who's out there with the power to do ANYTHING that will actually give a poo poo about this?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Gumball Gumption posted:

No one in government is going to do anything and D&D gets very hostile when people suggest solutions beyond voting better. Being livid and outraged won't help me.

Please engage with actual posters and arguments in this thread, not some nebulous D&D strawman.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

some plague rats posted:

Let me rephrase. What possible difference will this make? Trump will not be punished. The republicans will not be defeated or even materially affected. No one in a position of power will be arrested. What do you imagine anyone getting livid and enraged will actually accomplish? Who's out there with the power to do ANYTHING that will actually give a poo poo about this?

Also we're kind of back to the weird "They Almost Touched the Magic Boxes" thing. Like, okay, Trump pulls it off and seizes the Georgia ballots or Georgia finds 100K more votes for Trump. And...everyone just shrugs and agrees that that technically isn't illegal and now he gets to be president forever? It doesn't really matter what weird legal bullshit he tried or thought about trying. Either the country goes along with it or not. More details are interesting, as always, and it's interesting to see the coordination, but it's not going to fundamentally change anything and it almost certainly won't change the present.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m sure poo poo like this happens all the time but just toss it on the pile I guess.

https://twitter.com/joycewhitevance/status/1484867288801153033?s=21

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There is a concept in finance called, “the bezel” and it’s the point where the companies finances have degraded so that it becomes important to understand every outflow. This usually leads to discovering that the company has been a victim of embezzlement of various types for years.

A similar effect seems to be in play here were the more stuff gets looked at the more fraud, coercion and bribery is uncovered. Which, most people absolutely expected but there hasn’t been an issue broad enough and interesting enough to force DOJ to actually look at it when they don’t want to.

It is really going to be up to voters to keep electing people who are willing to do something about it. Whether it’s insider trading in congress, judges working cases they have financial interests in or dark money coercing elected officials to abuse their power to support an oligarchical take over of the US.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

some plague rats posted:

Do you think for one single honest second that any POTUS would ever willingly set a precedent that their predecessor can be prosecuted for anything at all?

President Grant was arrested for speeding while in office.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

some plague rats posted:

You can walk into any discussion and just say "who cares?" That's not valuable to anyone and it's not even discussing something--it's the opposite because it's dismissive.

Obviously the poster cares. Obviously others discussing it cares.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Sean posted:

You can walk into any discussion and just say "who cares?" That's not valuable to anyone and it's not even discussing something--it's the opposite because it's dismissive.

It kind of is a relevant question because it's not being asked here as a way to shut down conversation. It's being reflected here while asked across the entire country as a result of nothing ever loving happening.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Sean posted:

Let me help you out, you forgot to read the part of the post where Plague Rats put all that.

quote:

Hope it helps. As you can see it's not about being dismissive but actually a declaration of feeling powerless to do anything about this so Plague Rats really only finds it harmful to themselves to care.

I generally agree, I think 1/6 is a big deal but those in power have shown they don't have a lot of interest in dealing with it and being livid and mad won't convince them. I care but honestly I'm keeping my anger for even bigger problems that I can also have an impact on and use that anger to motivate me.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also we're kind of back to the weird "They Almost Touched the Magic Boxes" thing. Like, okay, Trump pulls it off and seizes the Georgia ballots or Georgia finds 100K more votes for Trump. And...everyone just shrugs and agrees that that technically isn't illegal and now he gets to be president forever? It doesn't really matter what weird legal bullshit he tried or thought about trying. Either the country goes along with it or not. More details are interesting, as always, and it's interesting to see the coordination, but it's not going to fundamentally change anything and it almost certainly won't change the present.

And finally, the bit which makes it especially hard to care is very simple - with the progression of things, Trump is gonna be back in power without any need for this sort of chicanery, so... well, hard to get worked up.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Let me help you out, you forgot to read the part of the post where Plague Rats put all that.

Hope it helps. As you can see it's not about being dismissive but actually a declaration of feeling powerless to do anything about this so Plague Rats really only finds it harmful to themselves to care.

I generally agree, I think 1/6 is a big deal but those in power have shown they don't have a lot of interest in dealing with it and being livid and mad won't convince them. I care but honestly I'm keeping my anger for even bigger problems that I can also have an impact on and use that anger to motivate me.

Nope. Saying "who cares" after someone who cares says they care is definitively dismissive. That's how words work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh, no! I stood by my position and elaborated on it! That means I repeated myself. This is a debate faux pas!

If someone disagrees with you in a debate you just say "well, I guess you win" and don't dare to explain how words work. That's against the rules

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk how much it will matter, but I'm seeing 1/6 stuff prominently in the news, both print and digital more in the last week than at any previous point

probably helps that the stuff coming out recently is extremely juicy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Sean posted:

Nope. Saying "who cares" after someone who cares says they care is definitively dismissive. That's how words work.

It really seems like you just didn't read the rest of the post and now you're trying to cover for it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Sean posted:

Please go read the media thread. If you think that's how words work you obviously don't understand how you can misunderstand a signal through noise.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I can't find a blue check confirmation, but apparently Bill Barr has testified to the 1/6 committee. I know :matters: but this seems like it could be juicy.

https://twitter.com/SmnWeekly/status/1485073392244043776

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

I can't find a blue check confirmation, but apparently Bill Barr has testified to the 1/6 committee. I know :matters: but this seems like it could be juicy.

Almost time to break out the popcorn. Barr is canny though so we’re going to have to see if he’s contrite and genuinely helpful or just making GBS threads up the waters.

I want to hear the real reason Barr noped out in December, right in the heart of planning Jan 6. If Trumps own AG goes on record as he thought the acts would be an illegal conspiracy then that is going to be a serious issue for all the plotters no matter how tangential to the main effort they were.

Even better if Trump gave him an ultimatum to get on the train or get out and Barr got out.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 23, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

Almost time to break out the popcorn. Barr is canny though so we’re going to have to see if he’s contrite and genuinely helpful or just making GBS threads up the waters.

I want to hear the real reason Barr noped out in December, right in the heart of planning Jan 6. If Trumps own AG goes on record as he thought the acts would be an illegal conspiracy then that is going to be a serious issue for all the plotters no matter how tangential to the main effort they were.

Even better if Trump gave him an ultimatum to get on the train or get out and Barr got out.
Barr is certainly a horrible ghoul but also I don't think he's a true maga believer so I could see him throwing Trump or some of his goons under the bus.

I've heard about some other testimonies, does someone officially release some findings or was that just stuff that "leaked" out?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

VorpalBunny posted:

This feels like wishcasting to me. Can we get some actual confirmation?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah as much as I'd like to dream, Bill Barr is a GOP powerhouse and I doubt he'll throw anyone under the bus.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah as much as I'd like to dream, Bill Barr is a GOP powerhouse and I doubt he'll throw anyone under the bus.

Remember that Barr helped ensure that Iran-contra couldn't touch HW or Regan

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Not to mention, clearing the way for DeSantis may well be worse then tormp getting his free kick in 2024.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Billy Gnosis posted:

Remember that Barr helped ensure that Iran-contra couldn't touch HW or Regan

Precisely. The guy has a legacy of being the cleaner for multiple GOP presidencies, I doubt Trump is going to be the bridge too far for him.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fuschia tude posted:

This feels like wishcasting to me. Can we get some actual confirmation?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/william-barr-january-6-committee-bennie-thompson-face-the-nation/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

quote:

Washington — Congressman Bennie Thompson, chairman of the House select committee investigating the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol, revealed Sunday that former Attorney General William Barr has spoken with investigators.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Precisely. The guy has a legacy of being the cleaner for multiple GOP presidencies, I doubt Trump is going to be the bridge too far for him.

Yeah but Trump isn't HW or Regan, so he wouldn't necessarily want to protect him at all cost. I wouldn't put my money on it of course but I think they're a chance he'll spill something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah but Trump isn't HW or Regan, so he wouldn't necessarily want to protect him at all cost. I wouldn't put my money on it of course but I think they're a chance he'll spill something.

Probably with some guarantee of immunity given Barr himself was doing some really sketchy stuff that wasn't entirely following the law.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Probably with some guarantee of immunity given Barr himself was doing some really sketchy stuff that wasn't entirely following the law.

Barr announced his resignation on Dec 14. The day we now know was when the false electors signed their fraudulent testimonies casting ballots for Trump.

That’s a hell of a coincidence.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I buy that barr has a significant loyalty to the gop, but his time in the trump administration did not suggest that his primary loyalty was to trump. like at all. And yeah the timing of his quitting is hard to ignore and indeed the opening paragraph of his resignation letter is about the election fraud stuff

quote:

Dear Mr. President,
I appreciate the opportunity to update you this afternoon on the Department's review of
voter fraud allegations in the 2020 election and how these allegations will continue to be pursued.
At a time when the country is so deeply divided, it is incumbent on all levels of government, and
all agencies acting within their purview, to do all we can to assure the integrity of elections and
promote public confidence in their outcome

i don't think barr talking to the committee automatically means trump is hosed or whatever the original tweet said, but it's certainly an interesting piece of data to throw on the pile

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

VorpalBunny posted:

I have a radicalized leftist activist friend that I met while traveling on hippie busses through the Trump administration, and I warned him many times about qanon, and he still got catfished by an insane qanon lady and they went together to the Jan 6 riot and I'm pretty sure he was deliberately targeted and brought there to be someone they could scapegoat in an effort to shift the Overton window at exactly the moment you describe.

He and I don't talk anymore, and I kinda did everything I could to tear him down and raise alarms, after rel posted about killing, cooking and eating a cat as bookofedith was working toward forcing a standoff between that community and the feds.

Anyhow, I've suspected exactly this - the hypothesis you posit, that the Trump people had a contingency in place in advance of Jan 6th to blame antifa under a certain set of circumstances- for over a year now. And I know an 'antifa' person (more of a sea shepherd type) that got catfished into attending. I don't think the feds ever picked them up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A "plan" for it sounds a bit generous to me. Right wing media was just going to scream "It was antifa!" no matter what. Exactly like they did. Then before even finishing that breath they yell about just being unarmed tourists and really when you think about it political prisoners actually. But it was really FBI false flag ops to make them look bad at the event where nothing happened to look bad.

It's all bullshit propaganda lies. I don't see them putting a plan together for that. Just more propaganda lies.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uglycat posted:

I have a radicalized leftist activist friend that I met while traveling on hippie busses through the Trump administration, and I warned him many times about qanon, and he still got catfished by an insane qanon lady and they went together to the Jan 6 riot and I'm pretty sure he was deliberately targeted and brought there to be someone they could scapegoat in an effort to shift the Overton window at exactly the moment you describe.

He and I don't talk anymore, and I kinda did everything I could to tear him down and raise alarms, after rel posted about killing, cooking and eating a cat as bookofedith was working toward forcing a standoff between that community and the feds.

Anyhow, I've suspected exactly this - the hypothesis you posit, that the Trump people had a contingency in place in advance of Jan 6th to blame antifa under a certain set of circumstances- for over a year now. And I know an 'antifa' person (more of a sea shepherd type) that got catfished into attending. I don't think the feds ever picked them up.

What on earth are you talking about here?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
wapo and guardian both just put pieces out on the barr cooperation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/23/january-6-committee-barr/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/23/capitol-attack-committee-donald-trump-william-barr

they emphasize that in particular barr was in contention with trump prior to resigning because he refused to legitimize trump's fabricated stolen election narrative

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

some plague rats posted:

What on earth are you talking about here?

uglycat is D&D's resident RBF guy and traveling activist

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Even if Barr turned over a treasure trove of files implicating Trump in crimes, no one is going to do anything about it.

Barr's an old-time fixer and wouldn't keep records of anything incriminating to his party. "Cooperating" could just mean answering some basic questions or turning over some files that don't mean squat. I have a feeling Barr kept his distance from the shenanigans to provide plausible deniability.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

uglycat is D&D's resident RBF guy and traveling activist

Not sure why spr was probed here, uglycat’s post reads as word salad to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Even if Barr turned over a treasure trove of files implicating Trump in crimes, no one is going to do anything about it.

Barr's an old-time fixer and wouldn't keep records of anything incriminating to his party. "Cooperating" could just mean answering some basic questions or turning over some files that don't mean squat. I have a feeling Barr kept his distance from the shenanigans to provide plausible deniability.

How close were Barr and Cheney would be my question.

More importantly what might Cheney have on Barr that might ensure cooperation since it seems like Dick is interested in saving the Republican Party from itself.