Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I get better picture and performance playing stuff over VD for some reason, airlink always seems to lag and drop the bitrate a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At the end of the day it’s worth it to have both airlink and virtual desktop

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Yeah, it is weird, some apps do much better with one or the other.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Virtual desktop is 20 bux because it's the only 20 bux you need to spend on the oculus store to turn your quest into pcvr and enjoy steam sales

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
also fun just to play pancake games on a virtual theater screen wirelessly using your quest headset

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My main reason for using Airlink instead of VD was for ASW frame smoothing. It isn't there on VD and it is in Airlink. Pretty much essential for what I was doing with it (racing and flight sims).

Luckily a cable doesn't particularly interfere with those.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tagichatn posted:

I've never had to turn on airlink again on my pc and I rarely use it twice within 24 hours.

It used to automatically turn itself off after 24 hours when it was in beta, and there was a switch in settings to re-enable it. They took that switch out awhile back, now it's just auto-on all the time.

I have Virtual Desktop but I hardly ever use it anymore, I just Airlink. I think in part because half the time I want to pin a desktop window over the top of whatever game I'm playing and that's super easy to do in Oculus home.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Kill All Cops posted:

Virtual desktop is 20 bux because it's the only 20 bux you need to spend on the oculus store to turn your quest into pcvr and enjoy steam sales

Air link works well enough I haven't bothered with it yet but I'll probably spring for it if it ever goes on sale.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
VD works much better than airlink for me, not entirely sure why. It's nice I can try either though.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol internet. posted:

What is the benefit of virtual desktop? I used the steam virtual desktop.. but it's not like I can play videos in VR mode?

So I only use my quest for VR car bullshit. So I got my seat, wheel, etc sitting in a corner but its away from a monitor and i don't want a monitor there anyway because it'd be a pain in the rear end. So that's fine for stuff like Dirt 2.0 that's completely VR but say I want to play Forza with my wheel to set rivals time or something: VD is way better at the fake screen than the Oculus solution. You can dial it in way better, it also doesn't gently caress up my audio. Pocketcast for windows will never, ever work for oculus' solution. Like just being able to switch screens with a button... how tf did they not do any quality of life stuff with the the oculus crap lol

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 24, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
has anyone tried any 2d apps on the quest headset? thinking about installing google voice just so I can see text notifications

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

StarkRavingMad posted:

It used to automatically turn itself off after 24 hours when it was in beta, and there was a switch in settings to re-enable it. They took that switch out awhile back, now it's just auto-on all the time.
That switch definitely exists still for me with the description about auto offing, though I once forgot about it and it still connected to my PC with airlink just with the oculus app open. Has that button been a sham all along?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Metos posted:

That switch definitely exists still for me with the description about auto offing, though I once forgot about it and it still connected to my PC with airlink just with the oculus app open. Has that button been a sham all along?

If you go to Settings, general in your Oculus desktop app, down at the bottom, what version does it say you have? Mine says "Oculus App Version 37.0.0.79.109 (37.0.0.79.109)." I'm wondering if the desktop app isn't auto-updating for you or something. I think I had that problem awhile back and I had to log out and back in to get it to update.

Oh, or I just realized I have the public test channel turned on under Beta, maybe they only removed it there and you're not on the test channel version?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

njsykora posted:

Find this incredibly hard to believe to be honest.

VCs aren't getting 'wise' but they are getting 'wary.'

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any recommendations for scary as poo poo games and also games where you're on a cliff or on an edge of a building or something and you're scared to fall?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

lol internet. posted:

Any recommendations for scary as poo poo games and also games where you're on a cliff or on an edge of a building or something and you're scared to fall?

Richies plank experience?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Richies plank experience?

Just be careful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNKBqx5mNjI

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Speaking of movies and stuff I was just coming to ask if there was anything interesting on the Quest as far as like watching real sports? (Or other systems, just for knowledge I guess.)

explosivo posted:

The NBA will occasionally have VR games in the Venues app (like, once every three weeks) and it was pretty neat but the video quality was poo poo so not really worth watching a whole game that way. This was also last season so maybe it's better now or they're not doing it anymore. This was the only live sports event I ever saw advertised on the quest though.

yeah I love sports and i love vr and its disapointing there is nothing there yet. as it becomes more mainstream i hope to see some cool stuff down the line.

two things I really want:

a 360 camera placed in the stands so you can get the "like you are there" experience and the ability to watch games from a camera just above the field (like the cameras they have on wires in the nfl but vr)

e: someone else said they are still doing basketball games so i will check one of those out. I also remember the champions league final being advertised as available in vr but never saw anyplace to actually try it out

Reek fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 24, 2022

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

lol internet. posted:

Alyx is scary. Also triggered my fear of heights a lot, but it's difficult to actually fall off so that might not work for you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3zrLymADs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone else was looking at that thumbnail with a certain amount of trepidation, rest assured that it is actually worth watching.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hah hah yeah.

Saints and Sinner is 25% off in Oculus store, and later they are supposed to make some annoucement, for their second year anniversary

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2897337400373711/?utm_medium=share&utm_source=oculus

https://twitter.com/WalkingDeadVR/status/1485309442895847430?s=20

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've took my Quest 1 out of the box for the first time after a couple of years to try the new wireless VR and it's quite nice, but I have some questions that the OP didn't answer.

1) Optimal VD settings for wireless VR? I know the answer boils down to "it depends on your setup", but I'd like to understand if there are some settings that are off by default and should be on, or what I should try to crank up to get better performances. I had some weird stuttering yesterday while playing Alyx on High fidelity, which I assume could be caused by a blip in the network quality. I've noticed the default bitrate seems to be low (15Mbps). In case this is useful, my desktop has a 2070S, i7-9700k and a cabled connection (500Mbps fibre) and my headset is connected to a 5Ghz connection. EDIT: I've also selected the Variable Rate Super Sampling to always be on in the Nvidia panel and these are the options I have selected atm on the casting app:

2) Are there are new, good games? The only one I didn't know from 1.5y ago in the OP is the minigolf one (seems fun). I've seen Lone Echo 2 is in the store, but aside from that most of the games in the "recommended" sections are the same as before. Anything with fun physics interactions like Saints&Sinners or Boneworks? I guess this was asked 4 pages ago.

3) Anyone knows if the upgraded Kiwi pro strap for Oculus 2 works with Quest 1 as well? Some items in their store are specifically labeled "for Quest1/2", but if I filter for "only show Quest 1 content" the strap is in the results, but the compatibility is not specified anywhere.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 24, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPm6hmSkhc

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yo Turin could you give us at least a word describing all of these YouTube links? on mobile and it's tedious

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re trailers that literally describe what they’re about.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, when I don't put anything it's because they are self evident. Usually a trailer for a game. Even if you don't click on them, the title says it:

Writing 'this is the trailer for a game called Shores of loci' would be redundant. And if it's from an unknown studio or I haven't played the game, I don't have a lot to add.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 24, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, when I don't put anything it's because they are self evident. Usually a trailer for a game. Even if you don't click on them, the title says it:

Writing 'this is the trailer for a game called Shores of loci' would be redundant.

He's on mobile with videos disabled, all he's seeing is the URL like so;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPm6hmSkhc&feature=emb_title

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And what on earth does being on mobile have to do with anything?

E: ah, videos disabled, got it. Never even knew that was an option. The video doesn't load until you play it though, is it really necessary?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Any opinions on AGAINST? With that title, it's not exactly the easiest thing to search for in this thread.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I also see the video previews on mobile. The video doesn't start to play (or load) until you click on it, so eh... I think the only reason to activate the 'disable videos' option is if you have a low end smartphone, as the integrated video could make the page more "heavy".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah just enable videos it makes them much easier to deal with

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm looking forward to Zenith and just assumed I'd have to get it on PCVR but it looks like it's on the Oculus store too. Any difference/reason to not get it on the oculus? I like the idea of being to move around with my headset

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They’re trailers that literally describe what they’re about.

I'm on mobile and to find out, I have to click the link.

youtube surprised me today with an 5 second ad that didn't I couldn't even hide the name of to see the title of the video.

this is my point on mobile.

like just say "trailer shooting game" or "trailer puzzle game" or something drat.

e: I didn't see all of the posts above

if that's too much effort then whatever :shrug:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

forest spirit posted:

I'm on mobile and to find out, I have to click the link.

youtube surprised me today with an 5 second ad that didn't I couldn't even hide the name of to see the title of the video.

this is my point on mobile.

like just say "trailer shooting game" or "trailer puzzle game" or something drat.

e: I didn't see all of the posts above

if that's too much effort then whatever :shrug:

oh word?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can always see the video title on YouTube even when an ad is playing, there'll be an X at the top of the ad description that hides it and shows the video details again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

m.hache posted:

So I'm looking forward to Zenith and just assumed I'd have to get it on PCVR but it looks like it's on the Oculus store too. Any difference/reason to not get it on the oculus? I like the idea of being to move around with my headset

The graphics between the two are extremely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9l1CZSLM5w

It's actually interesting how they did it, in some places it's just "turn the graphics slider down for the quest" but you can tell at other points they went to a totally different art style. Which is actually kinda neat. Like it's the same game, playing together but the PC version goes with more realistic shaders and the quest version uses more cartoony style on some things.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The graphics between the two are extremely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9l1CZSLM5w

It's actually interesting how they did it, in some places it's just "turn the graphics slider down for the quest" but you can tell at other points they went to a totally different art style. Which is actually kinda neat. Like it's the same game, playing together but the PC version goes with more realistic shaders and the quest version uses more cartoony style on some things.

that's really interesting. i'm sure that you would think it looks fine on quest, but then you see it on PC and it's such a huge difference.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Argue posted:

Any opinions on AGAINST? With that title, it's not exactly the easiest thing to search for in this thread.

I jumped on it, it's alright but feels rather sparse so far. It's got a very cool visual style, but doesn't really do anything much different or better than Beat Saber or Pistol Whip, really, and the rhythm part of the game feels a bit understated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

an evergreen video. my man just GOES for it lmao