Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what the gently caress :staredog:

so I just found the screenshot I took of one of the questions. it was the question that made me close the browser window. if you ever see this crap, under no circumstance encourage this bullshit by following through with the interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

It's always true that I do things to attract attention, but it's only mostly true that I have friends of the opposite sex.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I have lots of friends and my girlfriend is a super model twitch steamer and also a pro league of legends gamer. but the questionnaire didn’t ask about that

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

is there any way to interpret these questions other than "lie for all you're worth this is a test about being a liar?"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you also gotta read the industrial psychologists mind

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i know someone who got a "personality test" like that for a job once and his answers somehow got flagged as someone who was gaming the questionnaire

he had previously done a lot of longitudinal studies in academia and apparently inadvertently inferred the "right" answers from that experience

the recruiter wanted him to retake it and he just walked at that point because of how stupid it all was

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Progressive JPEG posted:

the recruiter wanted him to retake it and he just walked at that point because of how stupid it all was

This is the correct answer for any personality test.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

champagne posting posted:

is there any way to interpret these questions other than "lie for all you're worth this is a test about being a liar?"

they are part of some personality evaluation quiz so I guess you put in a bunch of sexual and social preferences and the computer tells the employer whether you are objectively a robot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tk posted:

Money, past a certain point, is one of the least valuable things that your company can give you.
getting paid excessively well today is a prerequisite to not needing to care so much about pay later. not saying that good pay is worth a miserable job but financial freedom is a big factor in being able to take risks in your career later on

additionally good pay tends to select for good management/coworkers/working environment too. surprisingly employers that value their staff don't tend to express that by paying them poorly

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my second job had me pass a personality test, and also required two of my current or former coworkers to also fill in a questionnaire of the sort to calibrate my answers.

My first job was a PHP dating site in my hometown paying just above $30K CAD, and that second job was my jump into the Erlang world working remote for a UK company.

I ended up accepting but since I only had had one job I had to break the news to a small set of coworkers I was looking for another job and asking them to please back me up.

In hindsight it’s super hosed up to ask someone to do that poo poo, even more to accept it, but it was one of the early steps in me slowly turning into making 6 figgies. You can certainly see the change in attitude in me telling a former unicorn acquired by a FAANG no if they were to just ask me to do coding tests, but it’s absolutely true that I’m gonna jump through more hoops if I think the thing at the end is worth it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also the test was in English so I had to find coworkers who would back me up without tattling but also could speak English alright in a place that’s 99% French speaking.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

idk, seems like it's worthwhile to filter out the elliot rodger types

qhat posted:

I have lots of friends and my girlfriend is a super model twitch steamer and also a pro league of legends gamer. but the questionnaire didn’t ask about that

so was this whole line of posting just a wind up to drop this humblebrag or...

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
well i got hit hard by a non-compete i signed over 10 years ago. i completely forgot about it and i should have asked but when i tried to give my two weeks my boss said "you know the company is gonna sue you" so i am now working under duress... gently caress. I told new company about it and they basically said they have to pass because of it. boss promised (not in writing because he's a oval office) to get me the same raise offered but I have to wait till july. so I just blasted my resume to all my friends and told them the situation. The plan is to work somewhere to wait out the 1 year non-compete and then go back to the company i want to work for. this should at least get me a better title and pay anyway in the long run. just really pissed at how naive i am right now, but this is the first time i'm switching jobs so live and learn

edit: hey neat my gang tag updated!

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 24, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
when someone joins mgmt does their brain always break?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fart Sandwiches posted:

well i got hit hard by a non-compete i signed over 10 years ago. i completely forgot about it and i should have asked but when i tried to give my two weeks my boss said "you know the company is gonna sue you" so i am now working under duress... gently caress. I told new company about it and they basically said they have to pass because of it. boss promised (not in writing because he's a oval office) to get me the same raise offered but I have to wait till july. so I just blasted my resume to all my friends and told them the situation. The plan is to work somewhere to wait out the 1 year non-compete and then go back to the company i want to work for. this should at least get me a better title and pay anyway in the long run. just really pissed at how naive i am right now, but this is the first time i'm switching jobs so live and learn

I thought non-competes were like prenups: Ultimately unenforceable

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this one got the hiring company to pass on the candidate so it doesn't matter :rip:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This varies a lot by jurisdiction.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

this one got the hiring company to pass on the candidate so it doesn't matter :rip:

yeah, i think this kind of effective collusion is the way non-competes are almost always expected to "work".

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

new company chief of staff said they think the likelihood of lawsuit is high, and even if it was clear cut unenforceable and winnable doesn't mean they want to deal with it, so here i am stuck. good times

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i think this kind of effective collusion is the way non-competes are almost always expected to "work".

Chilling effect:

quote:

In a legal context, a chilling effect is the inhibition or discouragement of the legitimate exercise of natural and legal rights by the threat of legal sanction. A chilling effect may be caused by legal actions such as the passing of a law, the decision of a court, or the threat of a lawsuit; any legal action that would cause people to hesitate to exercise a legitimate right (freedom of speech or otherwise) for fear of legal repercussions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

This varies a lot by jurisdiction.

and the exact wording and the amount of lawyer time both sides are willing to spend

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

idk, seems like it's worthwhile to filter out the elliot rodger types
you filter them out by speaking to them for ten seconds.

quote:

so was this whole line of posting just a wind up to drop this humblebrag or...
that whole paragraph was a joke.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it really depends on the country. in latvia you can absolutely get deleted from outer cosmos over a non-compete breach

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

noncompetes are very weak in california and so they're mostly not a thing for tech jobs, but that's very much california-specific and it's not the case in very many other places

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
today i did first 2 out of 5 final rounds for a max-level IC role at a fairly well-known (non-FAANG) company for a remote role

coding round was surprisingly excellent, i expected some at least semi-leetcode poo poo (which i am not good at) but it was a nice toy problem that tested "do you know how to write code" as opposed to "did you read CTCI/grind leetcode"

got on very nicely well with the interviewers too.

feeling great about this process; really looking forward to moving back to being an IC and almost 2x ing my TC :getin:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qhat posted:

so I just found the screenshot I took of one of the questions. it was the question that made me close the browser window. if you ever see this crap, under no circumstance encourage this bullshit by following through with the interview

this test is depressingly common for office jobs (secretaries and a/r processors and the like) and big retail jobs (target had a little kiosk where they make you take this test when you apply). one of the popular plugins is very clearly attempting to see if you are amenable to unions

i don't think there is any real right answer, as even trying to lie like youre a dwight schrute style toadie doesn't seem to please whatever algorithm that runs it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

this test is depressingly common for office jobs (secretaries and a/r processors and the like) and big retail jobs (target had a little kiosk where they make you take this test when you apply). one of the popular plugins is very clearly attempting to see if you are amenable to unions

i don't think there is any real right answer, as even trying to lie like youre a dwight schrute style toadie doesn't seem to please whatever algorithm that runs it

i think everything except the "do you like unions" and "would you steal/turn in a coworker for stealing $100/$10/$1/$0.1/$0.01" is discarded.

i mean, they have to be right

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

i don't have any advice, but i'm sorry you're going through that. sounds like a really lovely spot to be in. hopefully your circle comes through with the temp gig.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

management.txt, really

so far we've got

- you don't actually need more money
- the leveling process at my company and similar companies works well

did i miss any?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont forget
- asking for enough money is a sure sign that you're a lazy rest-and-vest layabout
- you don't need to listen to other people, just me

and the original
- meal ordering perk is worth radically more tgan equivalent cash value

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i am ready to be a rest and vest layabout where do I sign up

if I tell myself I can relax I will only do 150% as much work as everyone else instead of 200%

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

i think everything except the "do you like unions" and "would you steal/turn in a coworker for stealing $100/$10/$1/$0.1/$0.01" is discarded.

i mean, they have to be right

i imagine some hr person is really concerned with how outgoing you are at parties to determine a culture fit as a cashier at target once you get pass the screen of "would you steal office supplies"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

that's more just figuring out if you're going to complain about being sexually harassed in the workplace

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ultravoices posted:

i am ready to be a rest and vest layabout where do I sign up

if I tell myself I can relax I will only do 150% as much work as everyone else instead of 200%

https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?action=newmessage&userid=45687

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it really depends on the country. in latvia you can absolutely get deleted from outer cosmos over a non-compete breach

What limits do you have on them? Czechia has pretty good ones, consequently I was asked to sign non-compete exactly once :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

What limits do you have on them? Czechia has pretty good ones, consequently I was asked to sign non-compete exactly once :v:

im not aware of any limits. that said ive neither had nor heard of a local non-compete longer than 2 years, and the established market practice is to explicitly waive non-competes if you part ways on good terms. waiver in this context would mean a complete waiver, and on rarer occasions - reduction to like 3-6 months

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

in NL i think the non-competes are generally pretty specific in the sense that you're only restricted from going to a direct competitor and usually you need to be paid big bucks and be at a high level (exec or close) for courts to actually side with the employer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh yeah in that regard it is the same, you can non-compete away only business interests, not your general knowledge or skills

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

kinda curious how the new intersection of remote work whereby computer touchers like us work for US companies but on a local contract from a local subsidiary will work out in conjunction with US culture.

for example, in NL, you get 20 PTO days by law (as in most of EU), but the employer literally cannot stop you from taking them whenever you want. even for a pressing business reason.

i can imagine that this kinda stuff will make a lot of people's heads spin. esp because in various EU countries the laws are totally different and as a line manager you basically have no idea what they are lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the one that people are thinking of when it comes to psychological tests is that employers used to give the full MMPI, which is some wack-rear end bullshit from the 40s that is very concerned with your sexual orientation, how you feel about making GBS threads, other other Freudian delights.

target had a case that went to somewhere in the 90s that ended up settling (Soroka v. Dayton Hudson Corp., dba Target Stores) and that and the law since told employers, no you can't use the wack-rear end version of the MMPI that tries to phrenology how gay you are, the only psychological testing you can do has to be at least tangentially related to job functions and not pry into your unquenchable thirst for cock or how you feel about a good BM.