Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone watch the Bucks/Kings in Venues over the weekend? I didn't get to as it was not available in Canada. I'm very curious what it was like - full courtside first person view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Walrus posted:

Did anyone watch the Bucks/Kings in Venues over the weekend? I didn't get to as it was not available in Canada. I'm very curious what it was like - full courtside first person view?

I didn’t watch that particular one but the few I have jumped in on will have you watching from near the rims above it and to the side a little, from the sidelines a bit, and will also sometimes place you in the nose bleeds for a few seconds to get a view of the whole arena as you watch the game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

m.hache posted:

So I'm looking forward to Zenith and just assumed I'd have to get it on PCVR but it looks like it's on the Oculus store too. Any difference/reason to not get it on the oculus? I like the idea of being to move around with my headset

Does the version on the Oculus store have cross buy? Meaning buying on the oculus store gives you the quest native and PCVR version together? Because if it is a cross-buy title it seems a no brainer to pick it up there so you can play on PC or on quest depending on whats going on.

EDIT: looked it up and yeah its a cross-buy title, so you're better off getting it there so you can play stand alone, or with better PC visuals without having to buy it twice.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

I didn’t watch that particular one but the few I have jumped in on will have you watching from near the rims above it and to the side a little, from the sidelines a bit, and will also sometimes place you in the nose bleeds for a few seconds to get a view of the whole arena as you watch the game.

Ah so it's not even real first person? just a virtual screen in front of you like the other Venues events? lame.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think most places are still in the phase of "let's try offering VR seats to our event!" followed by "hell yeah bro, do it"

Then you discover this is actually kind of hard, and not as simple as you thought it would be, and hiring a VR event consultant who actually knows this poo poo isn't in the budget, and you're too close to the deadline anyway, so you just stream a camera view to a screen in VR. Woopsie doodle, thenl it happens all over again to the next guys.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/WalkingDeadVR/status/1485658775973412879

They also announced Saints & Sinners has accumulated $60 millions in revenue since release.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

They also announced Saints & Sinners has accumulated $60 millions in revenue since release.

I hope other publishers look at this and take note. Minimum effort does not cut it. Shovelware gets lost. Make a *decent* game and pay for a known license and you will make money.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NBA has come the closest to making the virtual sports thing a reality though, if the video quality was better it'd be great honestly. They have their own commentary team just for the VR broadcast which is kinda nuts considering there's probably like 50 people watching most of those games at any given time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've never seen a virtual broadcast of a sporting event, but it sure sounds like until they can get the video quality streaming worked out, they would be better off making an app that was a virtual 'sports bar' type thing with other people and just broadcast it on a giant screen in good quality 2d at least. Or, you know, watch it with a group of people in big screen or i guess vr chat.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Argue posted:

Any opinions on AGAINST? With that title, it's not exactly the easiest thing to search for in this thread.

Meh.

I refunded it. Its very very beta/alpha/early access. Like the build I paid for was "slightly" better than the build I tested and half the option menus still dont work right?

Or maybe they fixed it finally. No idea. Its just not worth paying for when you already have like 90 other music games that play just as good/better.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm still a little hazy on how cross-buy works in the Oculus store. So if I buy a game in the Oculus store, I can run that game natively on the Quest stand-alone OR I can use the Oculus app on my PC to run it over Link? And if so, what is the advantage of running it from the PC?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's crazy how much people are hungry for real VR games. That post got less than 400 likes in 2h - which I guess it means it didn't reach many people to begin with, compared to what an AA title on PC would - but they still managed to get that much money while being priced 1/2 what most PC games cost.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm still a little hazy on how cross-buy works in the Oculus store. So if I buy a game in the Oculus store, I can run that game natively on the Quest stand-alone OR I can use the Oculus app on my PC to run it over Link? And if so, what is the advantage of running it from the PC?

if in the oculus store it says that it is both rift s and quest compatible then it is crossby. If it's rift only it's PCVR, if it's quest only then its native headset only

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

It's crazy how much people are hungry for real VR games. That post got less than 400 likes in 2h - which I guess it means it didn't reach many people to begin with, compared to what an AA title on PC would - but they still managed to get that much money while being priced 1/2 what most PC games cost.

Early ecosystems tend to be like that, it's sort of a captive market. Make anything halfway decent and people will buy it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

It's the third best seller in Quest, after Beat Saber and Superhot VR.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

this... is my phone screen. word as well wise rear end

Listen I shitpost with an emoji or whatever now and then but a shitpost doesn't give anyone besides me anything and I understand this basic posting axiom. But at least ctrl+c and ctrl+v the video title if it's not a shitpost.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You can always see the video title on YouTube even when an ad is playing, there'll be an X at the top of the ad description that hides it and shows the video details again.

I guess I'm in one of these loving strange YouTube randomized "feature" rollouts because there are ads that I've encountered in the past month that do not let me hide the ad title to see the YouTube title. It happened with the very link Turin posted, hell.

homie just posting links from your title bar is lazy posting. gamefaqs league

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought we explained it already...

Go to settings in the app, > Posts > Embedding > make sure youtube is enabled.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After asking about VR gun stocks earlier in the thread I decided to go with the recommendation for the protube, and drat this thing is actually really neat. Shooter games feel way more intuitive and kinetic with that. I'm no longer just awkwardly wriggling my controllers towards the target hoping for a lucky hit, but was actually able to deliberately take aim at things and hit them on purpose. I was kinda worried that it might be awkward to get the controllers in and out of the thing on the fly, but after a few rounds that went right into the muscle memory and works just fine. Pavlov went from a "maybe if there's a cool custom map around" to something that I genuinely enjoy playing regularly even just with the default game modes.

Mind, it's still kind of stupid expensive for what's basically a couple of tubes and some plastic molds, but at least it feels solidly built and is good at doing what it's supposed to.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Turin Turambar posted:

Or just post words? Like any other post? Surely you have an opinion or something to add with the youtube videos.

Why should anyone have to change how they browse to accommodate you? Maybe they have data caps to worry about?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've seen some dumb slapfights in this thread, but you all are really going above and beyond now

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I've come close to posting things from Uploadvr with a little blurb but deleted the unsubmitted post because I couldn't figure out a blurb that didn't just seem super redundant with the video thumbnail and title right there.

I appreciate where Turn is coming from and we can make it a fun little game for people with embedding disabled to figure out what the video is based on what other posters are replying with

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

FWIW I also only see raw youtube links on my phone, and I checked... I already do have youtube enabled on the embedded settings menu. :shrug:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

oh my god who cares

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KakerMix posted:

Why should anyone have to change how they browse to accommodate you? Maybe they have data caps to worry about?

Why should the dude change how he posts to accommodate one person without video embedding?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I've come close to posting things from Uploadvr with a little blurb but deleted the unsubmitted post because I couldn't figure out a blurb that didn't just seem super redundant with the video thumbnail and title right there.

I appreciate where Turn is coming from and we can make it a fun little game for people with embedding disabled to figure out what the video is based on what other posters are replying with

I mean the best blurb is always gonna be your personal take on the thing you're linking; 0% chance I'm watching some random trailer for anything because life is short. But if a trusted name like Jokerpilled Drudge says "idk maybe it will be cool but probably they will gently caress it up because we live in a bad world", well, I'm probably still not watching that trailer but at least we've put more words on the internet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why should the dude change how he posts to accommodate one person people without video embedding?

Fixed it for you~

Posting links with nothing else is a frowned-upon practice forum wide for good reason, seems a reasonable point of discussion on this here thread. Or we can all post about getting discounts with Quests!

I'm on the last mission for Hitman I in playing it through VR with Hitman III and having a ton of fun. The only truly hard thing to deal with is the lack of roomscale, where you can walk out from your body. It's dumb, jarring, and lazy. If you stay centered in your playspace though it works reasonably well. Still janky. Also really blurry, I have super sampling up to like 350% just to make it crisp. Guess there is some sort of auto-resolution the game does without telling you about it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Irony.or.Death posted:

I mean the best blurb is always gonna be your personal take on the thing you're linking; 0% chance I'm watching some random trailer for anything because life is short. But if a trusted name like Jokerpilled Drudge says "idk maybe it will be cool but probably they will gently caress it up because we live in a bad world", well, I'm probably still not watching that trailer but at least we've put more words on the internet.

lmao okay fair enough :justpost:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm pretty much on team "if you can't tell me why I should watch this video I'm not gonna watch it", but it's easy enough to just scroll past those posts. I'll just wait and see if it's something that gets quoted 2-3 times, if so it's prob worth watching.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, count me as someone else who just scrolls past any youtube links posted without context. If they were worth anyone's time someone will probably talk about them; if not, no loss.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I meticulously click on every link that everyone posts and then take detailed notes which go into SomethingAwfulPosts.xls for cross indexing later.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

FWIW I also only see raw youtube links on my phone, and I checked... I already do have youtube enabled on the embedded settings menu. :shrug:

yeah I just enabled mine to check and it... doesn't work :pray:

I was disappointed with hitman VR so I started 3 on my desktop, I will probably dip back into it because the environmental detail is absurd

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I watched the first video because I had no idea wtf a Flat Earth VR game would be about. And I still don’t.

Unsure how improved posting standards would solve this problem for me.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
gently caress I had no idea I had videos disabled, I was wondering why the forums were stuck in 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
flat earth game looks like it's going for the vr monkey cheese genre which I'm not sure is something anyone even wants

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

flat earth game looks like it's going for the vr monkey cheese genre which I'm not sure is something anyone even wants

I didn't see what about it was special either, after all satire is dead. Wish the dude luck though!

forest spirit posted:

yeah I just enabled mine to check and it... doesn't work :pray:

I was disappointed with hitman VR so I started 3 on my desktop, I will probably dip back into it because the environmental detail is absurd

I'll put up with a lot of practical problems in a VR game if I can get it to where it grabs me. A lot of Hitman VR is unforgivable for a lot of people, but if you're the sort of person that fucks around with Skyrim or Fallout 4 VR it isn't that more of a stretch to deal with Hitman.

EDIT
Got shipping comfirmation of my Varjo headset last night. :toot:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481780/Dragon_Fist_VR_Kung_Fu/
This feels great. A bit ugly with some wonky IK, but unlike any other VR game with melee combat it doesn't feel like a glitchfest with constant clipping and physics issues. I've only played the demo so far, but am going to purchase it, shooting the gun early on this post because I was so impressed and it's free to try.

Ben Plays VR did a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPYb0JIaExU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

This feels great. A bit ugly with some wonky IK, but unlike any other VR game with melee combat it doesn't feel like a glitchfest with constant clipping and physics issues. I've only played the demo so far, but am going to purchase it, shooting the gun early on this post because I was so impressed and it's free to try.

This game with, you know, budget, could be very promising!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

This game with, you know, budget, could be very promising!

This is the version with the budget, because it reminded me of the one without: Kungfucious

not related but I think they share some basic assets like the dojo which is no duh in a VR indie game

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

SCheeseman posted:

Ben Plays VR did a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPYb0JIaExU

Holy Hell I've had this on my wishlist from the get go but wasn't sure about buying it because the official gameplay videos made it look so janky in the bad way, I didn't realise there was a demo out now!

After playing it, this DOES feel really good. I imagine it's very bullshit hard later on though even on easy, but still having you do motions for the special moves feels wonderful.

Edit: Also apparently it used to be a flash game?! That's really funny to me somehow. Talk about humble beginnings!

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey, does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for VR software that just shows what's on one of my monitors, with no UI at all, and I guess with a configurable amount of curvature. I'm using an Index. SteamVR does have the built-in desktop view, but it has a UI and that's annoying.

The plan is to try to play things like Mechwarrior Online, which is non-VR but supports a high FOV. I want to crank up the FOV all the way and then un-fishbowl the display onto a concave VR view. But failing that, just being able to use VR as a giant monitor without the SteamVR crap in my periphery would be really nice.