Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Apparently there has been a military coup, and that's really all I know. France 24 has more, but it looks like this story is still developing. Scary poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I have to be honest, I've never heard of Burkina Faso before today.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I googled Burkina Faso to see any news and Google's commonly asked questions is "is Burkina Faso safe to visit?" Lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah poo poo's bad over there. Unfortunately Africa has a history of military coups. Thanks colonialism! Real great job ya did :thumbsup:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Burkina Faso has gotten continually owned from 1896 to the present day except for a short breather during the 1980s where they took a little break before getting owned some more. incredible number of Ls for one country to take

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

I was planning on going to Burkina Faso before Google warned me of it thank god.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yaldabaoth posted:

I have to be honest, I've never heard of Burkina Faso before today.

I'm disappointed (in the education system) but not surprised. I've ONLY heard of Burkina Faso -- as in, the fact that there is a military coup happening is the only thing I have ever known about the country. African history/geography is not really a priority in US schools. I have a degree in history and didn't have to take a single African history class.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah poo poo's bad over there. Unfortunately Africa has a history of military coups. Thanks colonialism! Real great job ya did :thumbsup:

Well it did a great job for the colonizers! :haw:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Burkina Faso has gotten continually owned from 1896 to the present day except for a short breather during the 1980s where they took a little break before getting owned some more. incredible number of Ls for one country to take

burknia faso (sp??) definitely known for stackin gup the l's, that much is known

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
thats a poo poo hole nation OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Goddammit, that was my favorite government.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Real talk. If any country's government is destabilized or violently overthrown in the modern era and that country has a decent internet, the violence was most likely provoked by russian social media agents trying to encourage people to burn down their own countries.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im too smart to listen to russian social media insurgents if i start burning my country down its because every government deserves it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

meet me in Turkiye, guys

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Burkina Faso was the worst character in star wars

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yaldabaoth posted:

Real talk. If any country's government is destabilized or violently overthrown in the modern era and that country has a decent internet, the violence was most likely provoked by russian social media agents trying to encourage people to burn down their own countries.

Is this a pattern? I'm not the worldiest of people, but I've never heard of this happening before.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

its a pattern alright but much more for a certain other country than Russia lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is this a pattern? I'm not the worldiest of people, but I've never heard of this happening before.

It's well known but I don't suspect Russia would be behind this. They don't have a great interest in African affairs outside of Egypt, if even that

China, on the other hand? Much more likely since they have a significant stake in a lot of African countries

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Been to the USA lately?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I own a giraffe there!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Burkina Fatso

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's well known but I don't suspect Russia would be behind this. They don't have a great interest in African affairs outside of Egypt, if even that

China, on the other hand? Much more likely since they have a significant stake in a lot of African countries

Interesting...

Pekinduck posted:

Been to the USA lately?

:sigh:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is sort of an interesting situation.

Troops attempted a coup d'etat against the siting president and his 'regime' or what have you because they felt they were not responding properly to Muslim Jihadist attacks going on in the country.
The jihadists control parts of the country and are enacting strict muslim law in areas they control.

In other words, it sounds like at least parts of the military felt that the president was in cahoots with the jihadists and want them out.

Meaning even if the military succeeds in taking political control, they'll still have to battle to take their territory back from muslim extremists.

Now, if there WAS a foreign power who might be backing them, I'll let you decide whom they may have appealed to or be being supported by given that situation.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

maybe lovely things can happen without russian involvement

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Robo Reagan posted:

maybe lovely things can happen without russian involvement

installing a more hawkish government in Burkina Faso is crucial to russias geopolitical objectives.. hmm wait that doesn’t make any sense actually. Sorry for pretending to know about this stuff

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
Upper Volta was a much cooler name
And Ougadougou is still the coolest capital name

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Burkina Faso means “upright man” which is pretty ironic since they have been upright for maybe 5 years out of the last 130

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The only thing I know about Burkina Faso is it was one of the first hops to get to Mali to support the UN mission, therefore I thought it was relatively stable.

Oh, and it's capitol is Ouagadougou, and it's pronounced the way it's spelled.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The only thing I know about Burkina Faso is it was one of the first hops to get to Mali to support the UN mission, therefore I thought it was relatively stable.

Nothing much, Ouagadougou with you?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

so is that owga dow gow or ooga doo goo?

vv thanks. a lifelong, low level concern finally addressed

Carlos Lantana fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Carlos Lantana posted:

wagadugu... sorry to be boring but this is it fr

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Carlos Lantana posted:

waa gaa doo goo

e:f;b

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember Burkina Faso because everyone called it Bikini Fatso in 5th grade geography and man, that poo poo sticks.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm not sure anybody was serious about it but it'd be pretty insane to blame russia when the obvious candidate is standing right there with like 40 documented coups and coup attempts and god knows how many still secret in the last 60 years.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i'm not sure anybody was serious about it but it'd be pretty insane to blame russia when the obvious candidate is standing right there with like 40 documented coups and coup attempts and god knows how many still secret in the last 60 years.

God drat you, Togo

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Burkina Faso? Disputed Zone?? Who called all these weird places!?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Big Beef City posted:

God drat you, Togo

the silent viper

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
call me skeptical but i don't think the russians can troll people so hard via facebook and/or twitter that thousands of people take up arms and start destroying their own country

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

on the other hand im happy to be proved wrong on this instance because its so absurd i cannot resist giggling as hosed up as the realities of Burkina Faso are as I type this post

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

EorayMel posted:

on the other hand im happy to be proved wrong on this instance because its so absurd i cannot resist giggling as hosed up as the realities of Burkina Faso are as I type this post

The United States is supplying the military that is attempting the coup against the government with support because they are also going against the muslim extremists taking over the country that the current government is not doing enough to stop. hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

The United States is supplying the military that is attempting the coup against the government with support because they are also going against the muslim extremists taking over the country that the current government is not doing enough to stop. hth.

but where does twitter come into play