Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

Now imagine you were around Boston when that came out with a ton of people who'd scrawl 26+6=1 on everything.

loving West Coast Irish-Americans who are overly proud of being an Irish-American are loving annoying, I can't imagine how terrible it would be in Boston. And especially since the Good Friday accords, because at least before then they used to do cool poo poo like openly hold fundraisers for the IRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That’s… not actually groverhaus right? The ratio of stairs between the top and bottom flights doesn’t match what I remember

Also probably a perspective thing but that top flight looks all out of alignment, so even if it’s not the real deal it’s still following his spirit

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

loving West Coast Irish-Americans who are overly proud of being an Irish-American are loving annoying, I can't imagine how terrible it would be in Boston. And especially since the Good Friday accords, because at least before then they used to do cool poo poo like openly hold fundraisers for the IRA.

NORAID was the group that funded the IRA in the US

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol having credit makes zero sense

"Hey we're going to give you a rating that will show your credit history and reliability. Oh also it'll be from three different companies. No, none of them will be the same because they all look at different factors and weigh them differently. Oh those numbers you see? Lol those aren't actually your real credit number, that's another number you can't see or access until you apply for a big loan like a mortgage also lol it'll probably be lower because gently caress you"

Like it didn't really affect my ability to get a loan/pre-approval except that my lender is telling me the rating she pulls from Equifax is a full 30 points lower than the one I see when I look at Equifax myself.

e: also I decided not to offer on that house, I wasn't fully on board with it and I can wait.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 24, 2022

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BigPaddy posted:

That is most things you watched years ago and look back fondly on. Especially anything from your childhood.

An American Tail is still a beautiful movie even with the problematic casual racism.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joey Freshwater posted:

"Hey we're going to give you a rating that will show your credit history and reliability. Oh also it'll be from three different companies. No, none of them will be the same because they all look at different factors and weigh them differently. Oh those numbers you see? Lol those aren't actually your real credit number, that's another number you can't see or access until you apply for a big loan like a mortgage also lol it'll probably be lower because gently caress you"

Like it didn't really affect my ability to get a loan/pre-approval except that my lender is telling me the rating she pulls from Equifax is a full 30 points lower than the one I see when I look at Equifax myself.

e: also I decided not to offer on that house, I wasn't fully on board with it and I can wait.

Fun fact, America is the only country on earth where "credit ratings" are a thing. They don't exist in other countries.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Skwirl posted:

Fun fact, America is the only country on earth where "credit ratings" are a thing. They don't exist in other countries.

I guess because I'm used to it, credit ratings make sense*. What do other countries do, or does everyone get the same kind of loan rate no matter what?

Make sense in that I see why banks want to know the financial standing of people they loan money too, not necessarily why we have three private companies doing it through obscure means.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Credit ratings exist elsewhere but it is not something used outside of you know getting credit. None of this you need a good credit rating to get a job stuff.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever had a job check my credit rating before hiring me. At most it was a background check but that's not really the same

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Only ones I've ever heard of doing credit checks are financial places, and certain government jobs that require security clearance.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CannonFodder posted:

An American Tail is still a beautiful movie even with the problematic casual racism.

I loved that movie as a kid but remember almost nothing about it now.

I thought the entire point of the movie was educating kids about the demon of racism??

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I remember was the big fat cat painted up like an Indian caricature saying "HOW.....do ya do?"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Decided to look at my now-deceased cousin's wife's FB page and one of her profile pictures has a "I stand for medical freedom, stop the vaccine mandate" filter applied to one of them. Guess she hosed around, and found out, now her kids are paying the price.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Only ones I've ever heard of doing credit checks are financial places, and certain government jobs that require security clearance.

Similar here, I've applied for a few jobs doing supply chain support with boeing and rhinemetall because there's a bunch of defense stuff being built not far from where I live and the companies have insane benefit packages and they all want a credit check as part of getting clearance for the jobs, but they're the only ones and they'd be directly related to shipping and ordering bits that go in stuff for the army and air force.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1484890911364554755?t=dbW1k9V1DM3mZQcAC-zzvw&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This is where my place in PA is! My mom got the video in her email as a regular update and showed it to me, then I showed it to her at the top of reddits front page.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Idk about the rest of the world but aayyyeee our Kronos is back up and my days will be slightly less hellish than usual soon

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Now imagine you were around Boston when that came out with a ton of people who'd scrawl 26+6=1 on everything.

In high school I once got extra credit for going to see this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb0BCqgMPmo

In my suburban Boston high school Psychology class, we watched Good Will Hunting to learn about reactive attachment disorder.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My credit score dropped 20 points randomly in October and I spent like three hours trying to figure out why, to no avail.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

If you investigate deeply, you'll discover each "credit rating" has some kind of additional qualifier on it, e.g. they're different ratings for different things. The one you probably see when you pull your own rating is VantageScore. The one a bank uses for lending depends on the type of loan - FICO Auto for an auto loan will be a bit different from FICO Bankcard score for getting a credit card.

Equifax has its own scoring though! Because why use the same scoring as the other two agencies? Equifax's score goes from 280 to 850, instead of the 300 to 850 that TransUnion and Experian. Fun!

The important thing though is that you are probably not going to be offered a significantly different mortgage rate if your score is 30 points different, unless you drop below some key threshold from "good" to "bad" credit. If you're above around 740 or so, you'll get the going rate the day you apply for a mortgage from a particular bank, they are not likely to be offering significantly better rates to someone with 800+ and they're definitely not offering a different rate to someone at 780 vs. 750.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My credit score dropped 20 points randomly in October and I spent like three hours trying to figure out why, to no avail.
Probably something that was benefitting you fell out of a particular calendar range. E.g., you used to have a year of paying >$X off of a credit card "within the past five years" and now it's been 5 years 1 month and so it is no longer as heavily weighted.

Don't obsess over 20 points though. It's a meaningless amount. The important thing to do when you check your credit is to look for fraud or major errors on your report.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 24, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Don't obsess over 20 points though. It's a meaningless amount. The important thing to do when you check your credit is to look for fraud or major errors on your report.

Yes this. Please do not obsess over your credit score. Look for odd things and big swings. There's a whole community out there obsessing over raising their credit scores and they are insane. If you're above 700, it's barely worth paying attention to. If you're above like 750 then don't even bother trying to improve your score, just keep an eye on signs of trouble.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

This is why I can never live someone cold again. I have a hard time walking when there isn't ice on the ground. I can't handle busting my rear end every single year for the rest of my life. I almost died this morning when my house flip flop folded up under my foot and I almost ate poo poo but caught myself at that last moment on the sofa. I can't do it. Bury me where it's warm.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I ate poo poo under a ski lift once and it took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to dig out the snow and put my skis back on.

That is an unfortunate experience, absolutely everyone riding up dumping whatever snow is stuck to their skis or board on your head and laughing at you.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/ArdenFarhi/status/1485739117451399173

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1485739888196599808

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1485739301685972992

A rare good Biden appears out of nowhere!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Braksgirl posted:

This is why I can never live someone cold again. I have a hard time walking when there isn't ice on the ground. I can't handle busting my rear end every single year for the rest of my life. I almost died this morning when my house flip flop folded up under my foot and I almost ate poo poo but caught myself at that last moment on the sofa. I can't do it. Bury me where it's warm.

About a month ago I was taking a poo poo and browsed the forums long enough for my legs to fall asleep. I didn’t realize this so I got up and went to take a step and basically face planted off of my toilet. Ankle just crumpled. I heard a pop (not super loud, just like when you pop a joint on purpose). Since I couldn’t feel anything I didn’t know what I was gonna see when I looked down. There could’ve been bone, my ankle could’ve been sideways, who knows. Thankfully it looked okay and I was able to rotate a bit, but I had to wait for the feeling to come back to really assess.
I laid on that bath mat contemplating my entire life and all of the choices I’d made to get to that point. Would I have to wear a walking boot at my own wedding? Would I be able to ski on our trip? How would I explain what happened? Luckily my wife diagnosed it as a sprain before laughing at me.
Me and Lamar Jackson, just a couple athletes out here poopin.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

Probably something that was benefitting you fell out of a particular calendar range. E.g., you used to have a year of paying >$X off of a credit card "within the past five years" and now it's been 5 years 1 month and so it is no longer as heavily weighted.

It dropped me to below 740 :(

Credit yellow now, I want it back in green!!!

Ty for the explanation Leper

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My credit keeps crawling toward 800 and just before reaching it dropping back down to around 760

Frustrating

I assume it's because I only have one credit card and keep it with a low limit

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The Big Jesus posted:

About a month ago I was taking a poo poo and browsed the forums long enough for my legs to fall asleep. I didn’t realize this so I got up and went to take a step and basically face planted off of my toilet. Ankle just crumpled. I heard a pop (not super loud, just like when you pop a joint on purpose). Since I couldn’t feel anything I didn’t know what I was gonna see when I looked down. There could’ve been bone, my ankle could’ve been sideways, who knows. Thankfully it looked okay and I was able to rotate a bit, but I had to wait for the feeling to come back to really assess.
I laid on that bath mat contemplating my entire life and all of the choices I’d made to get to that point. Would I have to wear a walking boot at my own wedding? Would I be able to ski on our trip? How would I explain what happened? Luckily my wife diagnosed it as a sprain before laughing at me.

Wow. Your story is so much better than mine. Legit cackling over here.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Big Jesus posted:

TFF Chat 2022: Don’t poo poo and browse

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

your story will be put to great use on jackbox night

e: fun poop related story, pooping after leg day is a delight in my house because the previous owner was an elderly couple and they have all these hand rails installed in the bath tub and around the toilet

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I need a new text tone, thanks!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't wait for the clip of Tucker staring at the camera in confusion at the lack of decorum from Biden

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

What even was the question? I’m always up for laughing at Fox News though. Frankly they should just get to ask questions so you can mock them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

My credit keeps crawling toward 800 and just before reaching it dropping back down to around 760

Frustrating

I assume it's because I only have one credit card and keep it with a low limit

The former, possibly; "credit mix" is about 10% of your FICO score.

Here are the major components:

This article breaks them down pretty well. https://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1485749558844043265?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My credit score is really good but because I don't have any non-mortage loans, it's taken a minor hit from perfection. Weird that paying off my car and my student loans would work against me!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Hot Diggity! posted:

To be fair, Steve Doocy is a stupid son of a bitch.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I almost died this morning when my house flip flop folded up under my foot and I almost ate poo poo

I’m generally pretty nimble and very un-clumsy but I always get fuckin caught out by the ol’ taco flop, and usually it’s when I’m outside and I scrape my toes into the cement and I everyone can see what I doofus I look like. Also I have really nice Vans flops and I always have a moment of panic that I tore them whenever it happens :mad:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I loved that movie as a kid but remember almost nothing about it now.

I thought the entire point of the movie was educating kids about the demon of racism??
There's a lot of heavy handed racial coding but it serves a purpose in the story. I think I said it wrong that it's racist, but the movie plays heavily into racial tropes that are accurate for the time. There's even a bit where they are at Ellis Island and the immigration officials are changing people's names so they are more American.

It's still a good movie. I had a Feivel plushie when I was 5 and it's still somewhere in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Went down a weird rabbit hole and came across what has been my favorite conspiracy theory of all time. I always forget about it for a couple years but it always comes back up.

Stevie Wonder isn’t actually blind. There’s a billion videos on YouTube about it with people talking about it but I like this one where it’s different celebrities telling stories about Stevie messing with them, then ends in “proof” that he’s not blind. He catches a mic stand on stage that was falling over that Paul McCartney had bumped into. That’s the proof.

https://youtu.be/XsEcNlRZFgQ