Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hyperlynx posted:

Hey, does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for VR software that just shows what's on one of my monitors, with no UI at all, and I guess with a configurable amount of curvature. I'm using an Index. SteamVR does have the built-in desktop view, but it has a UI and that's annoying.

The plan is to try to play things like Mechwarrior Online, which is non-VR but supports a high FOV. I want to crank up the FOV all the way and then un-fishbowl the display onto a concave VR view. But failing that, just being able to use VR as a giant monitor without the SteamVR crap in my periphery would be really nice.

If i'm understanding you right, it sounds like what you're looking for is just something where you can shape a desktop window how you want it? Sounds like virtual desktop is what you're looking for, you can customize screen size and curvature, and then just play the game on your desktop.

Alternately big screen is free and has like imax and such environments you can view your desktop on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bigscreen also has a black void environment that you can modify your personal screen size in.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, "virtual desktop" sounds about right.

I have Bigscreen installed, I didn't know it could do void environment! Cool, maybe that'll do it. Thanks!

edit: yeah, Bigscreen isn't going to cut it. I want to be able to curve the screen and have it close to my face so that I have to turn my head to see the whole thing. And, ideally, I'd like to be able to do that just by launching the thing and it reading the settings I saved last time.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 25, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, "virtual desktop" sounds about right.

I have Bigscreen installed, I didn't know it could do void environment! Cool, maybe that'll do it. Thanks!

edit: yeah, Bigscreen isn't going to cut it. I want to be able to curve the screen and have it close to my face so that I have to turn my head to see the whole thing. And, ideally, I'd like to be able to do that just by launching the thing and it reading the settings I saved last time.
Now that you have a 360° mech cockpit you only need the refrigerated bulky suit for the full experience :pgi:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481780/Dragon_Fist_VR_Kung_Fu/
This feels great. A bit ugly with some wonky IK, but unlike any other VR game with melee combat it doesn't feel like a glitchfest with constant clipping and physics issues. I've only played the demo so far, but am going to purchase it, shooting the gun early on this post because I was so impressed and it's free to try.

Ben Plays VR did a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPYb0JIaExU

Oh huh, I'd been giving that a pass so far because it seemed super janky, but that video is actually about to convince me otherwise. The one other punchy game I've tried so far is Thrill of the Fight, and my main beef with that is that it becomes rather one-note really quick because after a while you're pretty much just throwing hooks at the guy's head. This one seems quite a bit more varied with the various hit zones, special moves, and characters. Plus I can't stop giggling at the guy whose special move is just pulling out a gat.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That Italian Guy posted:

Now that you have a 360° mech cockpit you only need the refrigerated bulky suit for the full experience :pgi:

I don't yet, though, is the thing :(

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's OVR toolkit too, I think it might be what you're looking for.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068820/OVR_Toolkit/

It is more geared towards overlays than Virtual Desktop.

e.g.:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 25, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Private Speech posted:

e.g.:

That might do it... Thanks, I'll check it out!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

It's the single (apparently not the first anymore) one of (actually no it still is) the most used VR apps on Steam FWIW.

e: I was looking at all apps not just VR, where it's fifth.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 25, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think there's an alternative to ovr that people have reported being a bit more robust. I'll have to look into it more

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Skyrim VR on Quest 2 over Airlink trip report:

setting frame rate to 90hz and render resolution to 1.2x gave me a bit of trouble, quite a bit of stuttering especially when in open areas. Not sure if it's the PC not being super powerful (R7 5800x + GTX1080 + 16gb ram), or the wifi being fiddly. I suspect the latter, I could try it with the (non-original) link cable and see if it gets better but I'd avoid it if possible because I really like playing untethered.

90hz and 1.0x render resolution (which is actually less than the 72hz 1.0x resolution, that's kinda baffling to me...) seems to be better and I only had one or two 1-second hiccups in a 1 hour session which is acceptable, and I don't notice the visual downgrade that much.

The network setup is : optic fiber from wall to ONT -> ethernet from ONT to router -> ethernet from router to PC and to AC1200 wifi extender in the same room as the PC -> wifi (5Ghz only, I separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs to avoid confusion) from wifi extender to quest 2 that I play in the PC room.

To be fully honest I can't quite see the difference between 72hz and 90hz either, but I'm one of those weird people that never noticed the benefit of 120+Hz screens, to me they always looked like 60hz so :shrug: I'm even thinking of going back to 72hz and 1.0x render just to maximize performance, mods give me quite a bit of eye candy already and I'd rather not vomit because of stuttering if my wife dares open a Youtube video on her cellphone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Private Speech posted:

It's the single (apparently not the first anymore) one of (actually no it still is) the most used VR apps on Steam FWIW.

e: I was looking at all apps not just VR, where it's fifth.

For general-use windows in your VR space XSOverlay's the better app over OVR Toolkit. It's a LOT more performant than OVR Toolkit is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Skyrim VR on Quest 2 over Airlink trip report:

setting frame rate to 90hz and render resolution to 1.2x gave me a bit of trouble, quite a bit of stuttering especially when in open areas. Not sure if it's the PC not being super powerful (R7 5800x + GTX1080 + 16gb ram), or the wifi being fiddly. I suspect the latter, I could try it with the (non-original) link cable and see if it gets better but I'd avoid it if possible because I really like playing untethered.

90hz and 1.0x render resolution (which is actually less than the 72hz 1.0x resolution, that's kinda baffling to me...) seems to be better and I only had one or two 1-second hiccups in a 1 hour session which is acceptable, and I don't notice the visual downgrade that much.

The network setup is : optic fiber from wall to ONT -> ethernet from ONT to router -> ethernet from router to PC and to AC1200 wifi extender in the same room as the PC -> wifi (5Ghz only, I separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs to avoid confusion) from wifi extender to quest 2 that I play in the PC room.

To be fully honest I can't quite see the difference between 72hz and 90hz either, but I'm one of those weird people that never noticed the benefit of 120+Hz screens, to me they always looked like 60hz so :shrug: I'm even thinking of going back to 72hz and 1.0x render just to maximize performance, mods give me quite a bit of eye candy already and I'd rather not vomit because of stuttering if my wife dares open a Youtube video on her cellphone.

The difference between 72hz and 90hz is more noticeable the faster is the game, of course.

You need a bit more of gpu muscle for 1.2x resolution (depending on what mods you have in Skyrim, of course...), I don't think it was your wifi. That's why it worked better with 1.0x.

Your network setup seems fine. Obviously your internet connection doesn't matter.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For general-use windows in your VR space XSOverlay's the better app over OVR Toolkit. It's a LOT more performant than OVR Toolkit is.

thank you! OVR is pretty cool but the user experience is shall we say not the best

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have some headphone recs for a Q2? I have a massive head so short-cord, hooked buds work best.

I have been using regular buds but they slide out easily when I start moving a ton.

I really love the off-ear speakers the Reverb has but it doesn't look like anyone makes those as a standalone unit.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone have some headphone recs for a Q2? I have a massive head so short-cord, hooked buds work best.

I have been using regular buds but they slide out easily when I start moving a ton.

I really love the off-ear speakers the Reverb has but it doesn't look like anyone makes those as a standalone unit.

Depending on how handy you are there are lots of files on thingaverse and such for building your own headsets for the quest, and even some etsy people selling them pre made and stuff, like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/932243822/off-ear-headphones-for-quest-2-elite

I've never used any of these so i can't vouch for any quality, i've just seen them around a lot.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Man, I kinda don't like skyrim to begin with and playing it in VR is more awkward than fun but jesus christ with some 200+ "ultimate VR" mod pack it really does feel uniquely like a videogame from the far future in a way other VR games don't.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Man, I kinda don't like skyrim to begin with and playing it in VR is more awkward than fun but jesus christ with some 200+ "ultimate VR" mod pack it really does feel uniquely like a videogame from the far future in a way other VR games don't.

(disclaimer: I love Skyrim a whole lot, maybe more than appropriate)

I didn't even touch unmodded skyrim VR but also didn't get the ultimate modpack because I guessed it would've choked my pc (correctly, apparently) and got the FUS modpack instead which is supposed to be just the VR basics re: interface, immersiveness and graphics plus optionally a few choice mods on top. Very modular, and it correctly includes Inigo in the "required" section.

It's still pretty unbelievable what both people and Bethesda have done with a game originally from 10 years ago, it really feels more modern than other things I tried as long as you're in the world and not trudging through menus. The realistic archery is pretty nice and feels good, could easily be an archery game by itself. Someone basically lifted the spell selection mechanic from Blade&Sorcery and shoehorned it in, so now you can push trigger+grip and select spells/weapons/potions etc from a radial menu in front of your hand by sticking your hand into it. Others modeled your whole body, arms legs and all, and let you pick up stuff by telekinesis and interact with it, also grab and throw bodies which is always fun. There's gestures and crap I haven't even looked into, busy as I am kneeling and stretching to try to grab that drat ring that fell off the table and behind a sack of potatoes. For God's sake you can literally irl shout FUS RO DAH to make that shout in game!

Guess that's what happens when you let nerds run amok with your stuff for years, they get good at it and then see cool stuff to include in their favorite pet game and go "ooh yeah let me add this in" :v:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Private Speech posted:

e.g.:

I love toolkit for overlaying things but for actual things in motion I'm not a huge fan of it. I wouldn't want to play a game through it for sure. Its great for monitoring battery in trackers, throwing up windows for chat things or discord or even a movie that you dont care heaps about framerate being 100% all the time. But playing a game eh.

drat good piece of software though. Handy as hell.

Stick to like, virtual desktop or something for playing flat stuff though imo.

Inzombiac posted:

I like these buds
https://amzn.to/3fYPyWR

Then theres these things that get good reviews if you want the hovering whatever.

https://rebuffreality.com/products/vr-ears

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 25, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
QUOTE = EDIT

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

EbolaIvory posted:

I love toolkit for overlaying things but for actual things in motion I'm not a huge fan of it. I wouldn't want to play a game through it for sure. Its great for monitoring battery in trackers, throwing up windows for chat things or discord or even a movie that you dont care heaps about framerate being 100% all the time. But playing a game eh.

drat good piece of software though. Handy as hell.

Stick to like, virtual desktop or something for playing flat stuff though imo.

Yeah I have both, but the question was explicitly about throwing up a desktop window in a mechwarrior cockpit, which seems ideal for it.

From what I can tell XSOverlay doesn't support flight stick controls, which is pretty important for that usecase.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'd like to hear a little bit more about your experience with this if/whenever you're up to it. I've never played skyrim ever but testimonies like these always grab my interest and might be something I'd check out

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

I'd like to hear a little bit more about your experience with this if/whenever you're up to it. I've never played skyrim ever but testimonies like these always grab my interest and might be something I'd check out

If you've literally never played Skyrim you should DEFINITELY try it. It's just a really good game that you should play. Yeah it's got its issues but even the people that hate it played it for 100 hours so how bad can it be really

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

If you've literally never played Skyrim you should DEFINITELY try it. It's just a really good game that you should play. Yeah it's got its issues but even the people that hate it played it for 100 hours so how bad can it be really

Vouch.

I don't like skyrim.
I've spent plenty of time in multiple versions of skyrim messing with mods.

In VR, its even more silly so really its worth picking up to sandbox mods if you're into that at all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TorakFade posted:

I didn't even touch unmodded skyrim VR but also didn't get the ultimate modpack because I guessed it would've choked my pc (correctly, apparently) and got the FUS modpack instead which is supposed to be just the VR basics re: interface, immersiveness and graphics plus optionally a few choice mods on top. Very modular, and it correctly includes Inigo in the "required" section.

I think I'm finally going to give Skyrim another shot based on your post, so thanks? I guess? I put about 200 hours into unmodded Skyrim when it launched, and every time I've thought about going back I end up getting completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of mods.

FUS pack https://github.com/Kvitekvist/FUS seems way less daunting

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The only way I ever mod any Bethesda game anymore is through Wabbajack. I can't be assed to, for the xth time, trudging into the modded scene and figuring out all the issues and differences and if this mod from this version of this specific Skyrim works with VR (because there are like 5~ different versions of Skyrim now on PC alone). Use Wabbajack and go from there.

Skyrim is special and has the staying power it does for a reason. Doesn't mean it's the best game ever, but it won't ever be forgotten.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

TorakFade posted:

It's still pretty unbelievable what both people and Bethesda have done with a game originally from 10 years ago, it really feels more modern than other things I tried as long as you're in the world and not trudging through menus. The realistic archery is pretty nice and feels good, could easily be an archery game by itself. Someone basically lifted the spell selection mechanic from Blade&Sorcery and shoehorned it in, so now you can push trigger+grip and select spells/weapons/potions etc from a radial menu in front of your hand by sticking your hand into it. Others modeled your whole body, arms legs and all, and let you pick up stuff by telekinesis and interact with it, also grab and throw bodies which is always fun. There's gestures and crap I haven't even looked into, busy as I am kneeling and stretching to try to grab that drat ring that fell off the table and behind a sack of potatoes. For God's sake you can literally irl shout FUS RO DAH to make that shout in game!

Guess that's what happens when you let nerds run amok with your stuff for years, they get good at it and then see cool stuff to include in their favorite pet game and go "ooh yeah let me add this in" :v:

I've played about 20 hours so far with FUS and it is amazing. I'm running like 170something mods so I have whatever the full pack is, but I will say whichever one does the radial menu to grab spells and weapons is absolutely amazing and is the best VR addon for skyrim I've seen.

It has a pretty amazing sense of scale compared to vanilla skyrim. The halls of the jarls seem vast, and some of the dungeons seem to have a real verticality to them that doesn't transfer as well into normal Skyrim. It also has been taking me way longer to accomplish anything, partially because it's modded to make enemies do more damage, but also because I just spend more time looking around at stuff. It's worth checking out if you like Skyrim at all.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 25, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whenver i play skyrim VR, whether it be airlink or VD, i get compression artifacts which makes things look pretty bad. i need to figure it out but i probably need to get a dedicated access point for my quest

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

something something quest supremacy

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

queeb posted:

whenver i play skyrim VR, whether it be airlink or VD, i get compression artifacts which makes things look pretty bad. i need to figure it out but i probably need to get a dedicated access point for my quest

Try a usb cable?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well this talk makes me want to try Skyrim in VR. I'm ballin at paying $60 for it when I have regular Skyrim several times over - does it go on sale often?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well this talk makes me want to try Skyrim in VR. I'm ballin at paying $60 for it when I have regular Skyrim several times over - does it go on sale often?

It's <$20 on humble store right now

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr

Fallout 4 vr is also on a huge sale there

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

beep by grandpa posted:

I played it all through in 2011 when it leaked pre-release and you could be a cool kid with a stolen copy like 3 weeks before it came out, I always kinda hated it but did play it pre-any patches with no DLC and no mods.

I've put 10 hours in the last few days in VR and I'll say I still kind of don't like it as a videogame, but as a VR ~experience~ it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything else in VR. I caught myself at work taking a bathroom break solely so I could go on a wiki and look up where I could buy a certain spell because I was thinking so much about playing the game when I got home.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Substandard posted:

It's <$20 on humble store right now

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr

Perfect, thanks

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just couldn't quite work out how combat worked in VR in Skyrim, and ended up massacring entire towns because every time I waved my hands about I lamped people in the face. Hand to hand is utterly busted to gently caress though, you can windmill anyone into submission.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I know this is obviously a case of “patent all the things” and will never see the light of day in a shipping product, but this looks like the dumbest poo poo ever:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/25/apple-glasses-optical-audio-transmission/

I guess even Apple couldn’t engineer BT headphones with zero latency but optical audio booms with BT fallback is such a weird “extremely drunk engineer” solution.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Substandard posted:

How's Fallout 4 VR? Steam reviews are...mixed. Is the modding as extensive as it in in Skyrim VR? I seem to recall that basic Skyrim VR is "not really VR" interactivity-wise, but mods kick it up a notch with manipulation and stuff. Is the same true for Fallout?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The FO4VR modding scene was nowhere close to Skyrim's last time I played. A lot of the bigger mods for FO4 don't seem to play well with FO4VR either. Honestly I'd give it a pass.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

hard pass on f04 unless you hate yourself.

the FRIK mod that is relatively new is excellent but the game has too many janky bits even with modding. I never even got to base building but that's too many things to juggle and the devs made no effort to do anything specific to the medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That Italian Guy posted:

How's Fallout 4 VR? Steam reviews are...mixed. Is the modding as extensive as it in in Skyrim VR? I seem to recall that basic Skyrim VR is "not really VR" interactivity-wise, but mods kick it up a notch with manipulation and stuff. Is the same true for Fallout?

Vanilla FO4 is an embarrassment. Don't buy it if you're not willing to mod it.