Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What if everyone's stone-faced puppet-like dancing is foreshadowing that they're all butterflies? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NowonSA posted:

This is certainly the best work that I've seen Cena do. I heard someone point out that Gunn's a goddamn wizard at highlighting strengths and hiding weaknesses in the actors he works with, with Dave Bautista in the first GotG as the prime example of that (which is also the position that Dave's basically taken in interviews), so I feel like there's some of that at work here too. Then again who knows, maybe Peacemaker's going to get a full 7 minute super intense emotional monologue at some point and it'll turn out that Cena's got some proper acting chops now.

I've read some interviews about it. He said Cena is the best improvisational actor he's ever met, so it was really just about making sure he had the dramatic abilities. He'll also get extremely precise with actors if they're having trouble; during TSS, David Dastmalchian was having trouble with the scene where he reveals his mommy issues. Gunn directed him to stand in a really specific way that looked like an awkward child, and Dastmalchian said that was all it took to fall into place. Gunn allows improv whenever possible, but he also has a very precise creation in his head that he can direct to the inch. He's an absolute visionary and beloved by everyone he works with.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Wrestlers to actors is a gamble that pays off in spades sometimes

this generation’s Rowdy Roddy Piper is here

I want James Gunn to do a horror movie

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hobo Clown posted:

What if everyone's stone-faced puppet-like dancing is foreshadowing that they're all butterflies? :tinfoil:

It turns out everyone is butterflies. That's just humanities true form, which has been suppressed by an evil space wizard for the past 100.000 years. Now the spell is slowly breaking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wolfs posted:

I dunno if we've ever been in a situation like this, where one wrestler is without-a-doubt-tippy-top-of-the-A-list (the Rock) another is almost there (Bautista) and a third is on track to get there. Mostly you'd have one-offs, like Piper in They Live or Ventura in Predator, but a sustained run of critically or commercially successful string of projects involving a single wrestler is a new thing. Remember the kinds of movies that Hulk Hogan used to make?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well, Bautista and Cena are also where they are because of James Gunn personally turning them into serious actors.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Rock sucks and all his movies suck too

Bautista rocks though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zzulu posted:

The Rock sucks and all his movies suck too

Bautista rocks though

Sure, but he's undoubtedly one of the most bankable stars in the world.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Rock is a movie star while Cena and Batista have proven themselves to be actors.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I want to see if Cena can pull off the small glasses look Bautista rocked in Blade Runner.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Something interesting to me about the opening is that it's Peacemaker, Vigilante, and Adebayo in the first group, out of all of the members of the task force.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that's more down to billing than any kind of hidden secret.

e: yeah just checked, they're the first three credits.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

wolfs posted:

True horror or funny horror? Because he already did Slither.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I think that's more down to billing than any kind of hidden secret.

e: yeah just checked, they're the first three credits.

It's because they're the main characters and the rest are supporting characters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

No it's because they're all action figures which is why their posting is all angular

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Speaking of the credits, did anybody else notice that Dee Bradley Baker is the voice actor for Eagly? He's a legendary VO actor and it seems odd that they would bring him in just for squawking.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

He wrote/directed Slither, if you haven't seen that yet.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

Harcourt's actress was a gymnast and is actually the best dancer of the group, and everyone behind her is actually watching her for timing and prompts. But because she's wearing heels her footwork gets really hosed up and stompy.

Would be extra hilarious if how stiff and clunky the dance is was somewhat because all the non-dancers copying her, because how goofy and 'amateurish' it looks (intentional, obviously) is one of my favorite things about it. I'd probably be skipping it by now if it was even Dancing with the Stars level. But it's worse. Which makes it better.

e:

Marsupial Ape posted:

He's a legendary VO actor and it seems odd that they would bring him in just for squawking.

:thejoke:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 25, 2022

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crisco Kid posted:

You put your finger on why I find his relationship with Peacemaker so funny: Peacemaker is a douche, but he either is no longer or never truly was the psychopathic killer he tried to be; meanwhile Vigilante definitely has something broken in his brain, but his chipper friendliness is earnest.

Oh yeah.... Vigilante has an almost childlike quality to him that is legit disturbing. His "mad" reactions about being tortured and his "best friend" not helping and just how quickly he got over it. Something terribly wrong there. Peacemaker actually has empathy for the homely girl AND he has seems to listen to his people. Murtz mentioned how he has a need to please. Cena is absolutely hosed up and douchey but that ending scene (jesus christ Cena nailed it) remember his brother showed you that Cena is just a severely traumatized kid somewhere trapped inside of all the super hero-ing/murder. Really good acting and writing honestly for a semi comedy show about Black Ops but that is Gunn for ya.

Still sad Suicide Squad didn't do better as I thought it was a solid fun movie and want more. My only complaint is I will never see more Boomer taking the piss out of Count Vertigo. I'm probably the only person that didn't hate Captain Boomerang.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Vigilante is enjoying himself in the dance intro too. His moves seem more exaggerated and less stiff than everyone else. A neat detail if intended(or if I am not just seeing things I want to see).

Weirdly I had the same thought.

Szmitten posted:

Harcourt's actress was a gymnast and is actually the best dancer of the group, and everyone behind her is actually watching her for timing and prompts. But because she's wearing heels her footwork gets really hosed up and stompy.

Honestly it makes it better. Her aggressive awkwardness make it giggle worthy and seems to fit her character. Really the only guy that seems to not be into it is the White Dragon which ALSO fits his character and makes it funny. He definitely seems to have a "gently caress this is stupid and I hate you all but I'll humour you sumbitches because I'm getting paid" energy. I'm guessing that is 100% on purpose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

Speaking of the credits, did anybody else notice that Dee Bradley Baker is the voice actor for Eagly? He's a legendary VO actor and it seems odd that they would bring him in just for squawking.

Kind of like hiring Vin Diesel to do nothing but say "I am Groot"?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

:actually: at the end of GotG 1 just before he sacrifices himself to save the rest of the team he says "We are Groot." In this tweet thread I will explain the significance of this within the larger MCU framework (1/54)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Codependent Poster posted:

Gunn wrung all the acting and charisma he could out of Diesel for that role.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

He's very good at squawking.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah hiring dee bradley baker solely to do some funny animals sounds is like, a tradition at this point

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if they are gonna do anything with the tiny obelisk / spaceship soon? Feels like that should have been a way bigger deal. I think Dyebeard mentioned it in ep3 and nothing since then.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

eke out posted:

yeah hiring dee bradley baker solely to do some funny animals sounds is like, a tradition at this point

Yeah, I can think of several shows where he's been hired as a regular purely to do animal noises.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s usually either Baker or Frank Welker for animals.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Fred Tatasciore was pretty great as Hit-Monkey

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's about as silly as hiring Alan Tudyk to do the voice of a bird that only squawks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s usually either Baker or Frank Welker for animals.

And Welker's getting up there.

Baker has kind of moved in to be his successor in a lot of ways.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

It's about as silly as hiring Alan Tudyk to do the voice of a bird that only squawks.

Baker was the lion on Steven Universe, the dog thing on Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts, and he was Pabu and Naga on Korra, and very little else besides. Dude's got a lot of credits where it's just like "jungle birds" or "baby mole".

It's pretty common for the guy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
*shrugs* "It's a living"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the idea is that you bring in a voice actor to do the animal noises because then you get the precise noise you want instead of trying to find it in a stock recording library.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I think the idea is that you bring in a voice actor to do the animal noises because then you get the precise noise you want instead of trying to find it in a stock recording library.

Yes, it's called voice acting for a reason. Eagly isn't just some bird, he's a character. And the linchpin of the whole series, mark my words :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DogsInSpace! posted:

Still sad Suicide Squad didn't do better as I thought it was a solid fun movie and want more. My only complaint is I will never see more Boomer taking the piss out of Count Vertigo. I'm probably the only person that didn't hate Captain Boomerang.

No way - he's one of the best parts and I was miffed he got killed off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It's always jarring when watching a movie or show and they go cheap and easy on the foley and you start hearing the cries of enemies from videogames. Gnolls from Warcraft games use quite a few common animal stock sounds as their unit noises, and I've played so much of them and you hear those sounds so often associated with the specific units that I can always hear a Gnoll in the background of the woods or whatever when the foley artist is just cycling through random wildlife stock sounds. There are other things like sound effects, special effect sounds, construction noise, or whatnot that I can't think of right now but I remember connecting those dots while watching it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Not my original idea, but one I saw and thought was unlikely, but not wildly so:

The neighbor Peacemaker keeps getting into arguments with? Bat-Mite.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Baker was to ve tippy toe in the new warriors series that got canned for being too gay.

I think he did her voice in those marvel rising movies too.

Though he'll always be Klaus in Americam Dad primarily.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
sometimes baker needs to take a break from voicing every character in star wars bad batch and just vibe out as a little dog or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

It's always jarring when watching a movie or show and they go cheap and easy on the foley and you start hearing the cries of enemies from videogames. Gnolls from Warcraft games use quite a few common animal stock sounds as their unit noises, and I've played so much of them and you hear those sounds so often associated with the specific units that I can always hear a Gnoll in the background of the woods or whatever when the foley artist is just cycling through random wildlife stock sounds. There are other things like sound effects, special effect sounds, construction noise, or whatnot that I can't think of right now but I remember connecting those dots while watching it.

I've heard the 'wooden door creaking open' clip from Daggerfall in dozens of TV shows, it must be named aaaa_door_open.wav or something.