Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

I really love the off-ear speakers the Reverb has but it doesn't look like anyone makes those as a standalone unit.

Incorrect! Rebuff Reality make VR Ears, a clip-on set of off-ear speakers that are exactly like the Index/Reverb experience! I've got a set and they're pretty drat great. You can order a set off their webstore now, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll offer a counter opinion and say that unmodded FO4 VR is great fun if you play.a pistol build and don't stray into any of the extra systems likee base building.

Lots of very fun dungeons to shoot through in VR and exploring the environments is a treat

The dlc works too though not officially supported

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm working on a new VR game
https://i.imgur.com/0dATOMa.mp4

would you play shoving simulator?

so far I'm having a lot of fun and I haven't even added in the explosive boxes, moving cars, or other physics stuff to spice it up yet

TIP fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 26, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do that, but in slow motion and free movement so you can do the Quicksilver/Flash thing, influencing the momentum of things in subtle ways to create maximum chaos and destruction. Would have the added benefit of making for awesome replays.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not to backseat drive your game development I just think it would be cool

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SCheeseman posted:

Do that, but in slow motion and free movement so you can do the Quicksilver/Flash thing, influencing the momentum of things in subtle ways to create maximum chaos and destruction. Would have the added benefit of making for awesome replays.

yeah this could be cool, I have considered adding something similar

my concept is that you'd have a certain amount of bullet time that you could trigger and untrigger at any moment and it automatically teleports you to within arm's reach of the person, so you'd have to use it strategically as you're watching them fall in real time

that's something that I'd probably implement as a secondary mode or an unlock further into the game

I really like the simplicity of not needing any directions or controls, you can just plop anybody in and they can go at it (you already can teleport or smooth move around, but you don't need to)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

so far I'm having a lot of fun and I haven't even added in the explosive boxes, moving cars, or other physics stuff to spice it up yet

If you don't mind some feedback; I think a little context helps with that sort of thing if you're going to build them out as point challenges, and gets the player's creativity flowing better with just a single prompt or suggestion for direction (Think how Hitman games work, if that makes sense?). For example; Maybe go a little dark and have some firefighters on the ground with a net or inflatable crash mat ready to catch that poor guy you're trying to "help" on the ledge, and make hitting that crash mat bounce the guy off into more stuff for extra points. Also gives you more things to bounce the guy off as well.

I've also never really been a fan of "floating" scoring like that in VR personally, and given the format I think you could go with something like some judges sitting on the roof across the way (and any out-of-the-way place in other maps) raising score cards for a touch of comedic immersion. Two 9's and an 8? Poor guy needs another trip off the ledge...

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

Man, this is giving me flashbacks to my worst nightmare, when waiting for the train to pull up in the underground on my way home from work...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've also never really been a fan of "floating" scoring like that in VR personally

Blood spatters paint out the score on the environment, just lean over to literally see the results of your work :grin:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Blood spatters paint out the score on the environment, just lean over to literally see the results of your work :grin:

that's basically what the original was, a little too disturbing so I changed it to coins

it's still pretty satisfying to see a geyser of coins shoot out of someone

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tip posted:

Horse plinko! Horse plinko! Horse plinko!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've also never really been a fan of "floating" scoring like that in VR personally, and given the format I think you could go with something like some judges sitting on the roof across the way (and any out-of-the-way place in other maps) raising score cards for a touch of comedic immersion. Two 9's and an 8? Poor guy needs another trip off the ledge...

part of the reason for the floating scoring is that I didn't want to lock the player in one place, they can hop down and follow the body as it goes if they like so it's nice to have the score show up near you

I do think I'll probably throw in some bystanders on the street and make it so that their heads follow the body as it goes and say shocked or approving things as it gets hurt, maybe applaud if you score really high

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hyperlynx posted:

Horse plinko! Horse plinko! Horse plinko!

lol, I'd never seen this

I was thinking about setting up some kind of plinko-ish scenario, not sure how people would react if I added a horse lol

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think I will have a bigfoot, so a possible bigfoot plinko

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Before you posted the gif I was envisioning a "simulator" in that the whole game was shoving old ladies into a pile of cardboard boxes or something which I also wouldn't mind playing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Add local multi-player so you can team up and tabletop somebody into a trampoline of goofs only rube Goldberg would respect

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

add an open world the size of germany with objectives and branching, non-linear storylines and also give the shovees items that make them look more shovable

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I am planning to add a "shove me" sign taped to the back of the first shovee you see in a session

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Add augmented reality style UI text like from Watch Dogs that pops up to explain why the random shovees are terrible people and deserve to be shoved.

"Kicked a dog.
Double dips chips at parties.
Likes American Football for the injuries."

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

mutata posted:

Add augmented reality style UI text like from Watch Dogs that pops up to explain why the random shovees are terrible people and deserve to be shoved.

"Kicked a dog.

Or just call it "panic on Wall Street" and basically climb the career ladder as you shove hedge fund managers off the progressively taller building.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mutata posted:

"Kicked a dog.

Maybe floating text drifting off them like it''s your inner monologue? "Shove'em into traffic. Go on. You know you want to..."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
PAK CHOOIE UFF

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Vr Stair Disnount!? Yes. Take me there.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tip posted:

lol, I'd never seen this

I was thinking about setting up some kind of plinko-ish scenario, not sure how people would react if I added a horse lol

HORSE PLINKO! HORSE PLINKO! HORSE PLINKO!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&userid=165233&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tip posted:

that's basically what the original was, a little too disturbing so I changed it to coins

it's still pretty satisfying to see a geyser of coins shoot out of someone

Hah, nice.

I do agree that coins spilling out on every impact is pretty satisfying, and less... grim.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Incorrect! Rebuff Reality make VR Ears, a clip-on set of off-ear speakers that are exactly like the Index/Reverb experience! I've got a set and they're pretty drat great. You can order a set off their webstore now, I believe.

I'd try the VR Ears except that I am not super jazzed about the size, and needing their own recharging with on-board battery (though I understand why it is like that.)

I am going to try a set of off-ear headphones from the Prettygood3d etsy store; considerably cheaper though surely nowhere near the same performance. I'm willing to try them out, though. If they're "good enough" I'll be satisfied.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'd try the VR Ears except that I am not super jazzed about the size, and needing their own recharging with on-board battery (though I understand why it is like that.)

I am going to try a set of off-ear headphones from the Prettygood3d etsy store; considerably cheaper though surely nowhere near the same performance. I'm willing to try them out, though. If they're "good enough" I'll be satisfied.

If you want something simpler, try Mantis Bionik's clip-on earphones. They're built to mimic the Deluxe Audio Strap earcups for PSVR headsets, but they clip onto Oculus headsets just as well.

There also seems to be a clip-on set from a company called MYJK built specifically for the Quest 2 as well with decent reviews, but I can't speak to the quality of them personally.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well, I don't like anything touching my ears so I'm sticking to off-ear options. The Index is amazing and the stock Quest is okay, but I'm hoping to have something a wee bit better than the stock Quest option at least.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well, I don't like anything touching my ears so I'm sticking to off-ear options. The Index is amazing and the stock Quest is okay, but I'm hoping to have something a wee bit better than the stock Quest option at least.

you could attach cottage cheese containers to your headset like this person

I bet it's precisely one wee bit better lol

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well it'll take me a while to finish that much cottage cheese, but some prices you just loving pay

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Tip posted:

not sure how people would react if I added a horse lol

Just make it an upgrade or special map or something.

You have to SLAP the back of the horse and it kicks the guy instead of you pushing.

That way you don't break a horse's spine like crushing a roll of tums.

(you can also tower dismount the horse I wouldn't care)

I remember loving the dismount games in the mid-2000s. I haven't tried any of the phone versions but yeah rag dolling people is good.

Hell I remember playing the Temple of Anubis level in the unreal tournament 3 demo over and over because the ragdoll pit was so entertaining

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fallout 4 VR is fun if you enjoy walking around in that world, listening to the music and blasting a few heads. Like the base game, it's not worth much more than that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
some good skyrim VR content: jumping your way down a mountain.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I spent three hours in a vrchat karaoke bar last night and now my voice is shot to hell

It plays YouTube uploads of karaoke screens on the wall, so nobody is synced up with each other and most of them are off key, so it's just like the real thing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGmjq8_GF8

Think about it for a moment, people without the video preview active will never know the marvel I just posted, how it will lift the entire VR industry in 2022 when it is released.

In other news Marineverse Cup is jumping from AppLab to Quest (official store).
And Ultrawings 2 is coming on Feb 3.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGmjq8_GF8

Think about it for a moment, people without the video preview active will never know the marvel I just posted, how it will lift the entire VR industry in 2022 when it is released.

In other news Marineverse Cup is jumping from AppLab to Quest (official store).
And Ultrawings 2 is coming on Feb 3.

holy loving poo poo take my money already

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dietrich posted:

holy loving poo poo take my money already

I don't know how realistic it is, but it legit looks like could be used as a training tool.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks to this thread I found out about the video preview thing, and then thanks to this thread I found out that turning it on didn't work lol

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tip posted:

I missed the very beginning of the clip when scrolling down and thought you were making a game about dropping handfuls of change off buildings to hit people like a violent coin pusher game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I too learned video preview doesn't work for me, but I've also learned that if poster Turin throws up a YouTube link, it's probably worth clicking.