Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/26/out-of-control-spacex-rocket-on-track-to-collide-with-the-moon

quote:

Out-of-control SpaceX rocket on collision course with the moon

A SpaceX rocket is on a collision course with the moon after spending almost seven years hurtling through space, experts say.

The booster was originally launched from Florida in February 2015 as part of an interplanetary mission to send a space weather satellite on a million-mile journey.

But after completing a long burn of its engines and sending the NOAA’s Deep Space Climate Observatory on its way to the so-called Lagrange point – a gravity-neutral position four times further than the moon and in direct line with the sun – the rocket’s second stage became derelict.

At this stage it was high enough that it did not have enough fuel to return to Earth’s atmosphere but also “lacked the energy to escape the gravity of the Earth-Moon system”, meteorologist Eric Berger explained in a recent post on Ars Technica.

“So it has been following a somewhat chaotic orbit since February 2015,” Berger added.

Space observers believe the rocket – about four metric tonnes of “space junk” – is on course to intersect with the moon at a velocity of about 2.58km/s in a matter of weeks.

Bill Gray, who writes software to track near-Earth objects, asteroids, minor planets, and comets, has said the Falcon 9’s upper stage will very likely hit the far side of the moon, near the equator, on 4 March.

The data analyst said in a recent blog post that the object “made a close lunar flyby on January 5” but will make “a certain impact at March 4”.

“This is the first unintentional case [of space junk hitting the moon] of which I am aware,” Gray added.

Great job, nice try! Personally I'm looking forward to when my entire town is smashed by a giant grimes statue sometime in 2034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
elon musk is a stupid little wiener. I wish that loving dweeb was right here so I could tell him to his face "nice rocket bitch" and push him down

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cubone posted:

elon musk is a stupid little wiener. I wish that loving dweeb was right here so I could tell him to his face "nice rocket bitch" and push him down

can i do that thing where i crouch behind him

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well good, for far too long the pristine moon surface has mocked our busy planet!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It'd be so funny if this guy died

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Isn't it going to maybe land near the Chinese base?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Accidentally starting WW3 would be real funny.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

He should go on the Joe Rogan podcast again to explain this the people need to know the facts

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
This will anger the Moon People.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

This will anger the Moon People.

they're called clangers, actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Weka posted:

Isn't it going to maybe land near the Chinese base?

It's actually planned to bomb the base. hth.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Elon, more like felon. He should be banished to Mars for his Moon littering and vandalism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cubone posted:

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

" My eye !!! The doctor told me not to get rockets in it!"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress the moon

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

gently caress the moon

Elon Musk is doing his best

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's actually planned to bomb the base. hth.

It's unfortunate it's not a Russian base. They would polonium his dumb rear end so hard it would rule.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Is there still time to get Elon on board the rocket?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hammerite posted:

Elon Musk is doing his best

his best at being a complete oval office amirite!!!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I wish that moon was my balls :blush:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

I wish that moon was my balls :blush:

that can be arranged

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

When my balls hit youre eye like a big piece of pie thats amore

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
since the dawn of time, man has always sought to destroy the moon

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
https://youtu.be/qrP6PWL6qhI

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Cubone posted:

on youtube you can watch a bunch of videos of ~~tHuNd3Rf0oT_~ owning him for about like 8 hours all together

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

it does nothing for us but taunt us

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

M-O-O-N, that spells 'Elon'!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

kntfkr posted:

:hai:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Why hasn’t Elon tweeted about this yet?!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Not to offend but I think that littering on the moon should be a capital offense.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Send Elon to the moon to clean up his mess imo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

Not to offend but I think that littering on the moon should be a capital offense.

So all the stuff we left up there?
Who gets blamed for that stuff directly?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nazis, they have a whole city there on the moon.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

So all the stuff we left up there?
Who gets blamed for that stuff directly?

I would start with the astronauts and then work my way up. Like, Buzz Aldrin? That guy DEFinitely deserves the death penalty.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

I would start with the astronauts and then work my way up. Like, Buzz Aldrin? That guy DEFinitely deserves the death penalty.

drat.

You mess with the moon, and Aard doesn't play around. He loves the drat moon. Gonna marry the friggin moon and have sex w/it and have moon babies which is very gross and probably illegal as well. I dunno if your loving husband from yesterday is going to like these developments or accept your disgusting moon mistress and deformed space babies into your hovel.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Agent Escalus posted:

Why hasn’t Elon tweeted about this yet?!

He's too busy laughing and dancing like a monkey over hearing the news.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Aardvark! posted:

Remember the time Buzz Aldrin punched a dude in the face for telling Aldrin to "pick up his moon trash"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKVdVqFZv0

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

article posted:

the so-called Lagrange point

:airquote:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

It is. That's why no one has visited the Moon twice; the moon people would execute them immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Let’s blow up the moon.