Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

🐑 :nz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol when I was a kid I had an small red laser and the battery was dying and the output was pathetic and I used to literally hold the laser up to my eye and stare down it. it’s a weird effect in that it makes it look like you’re looking into a space with huge volume with a small star like twinkle in the middle and fragments of light all around in this endless space

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
check out my dads motorcycling gloves lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was a kid and laser pointers still cost like $50, I begged my parents to buy me one that I saw in the Edmund Scientific catalog and finally at Christmas I got it from my grandpa. Nobody I knew had ever seen one before, and when I flew back even the security guys at the airport started playing with it.

Of course I took it to school, and it was a completely harmless 5 mW red diode made in the USA, but as my friends and I were playing with it one of the other boys got flashed in the eyes and he got so terrified that he was going to go blind that he went home and threw up, and then his mom called and told my mom she was extremely irresponsible for letting me have something as dangerous as a laser and if her son had any eye problems they would see us in court.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
edmund scientific ruled. i wanted all the cool science kits they had

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

When I was a kid and laser pointers still cost like $50, I begged my parents to buy me one that I saw in the Edmund Scientific catalog and finally at Christmas I got it from my grandpa. Nobody I knew had ever seen one before, and when I flew back even the security guys at the airport started playing with it.

Of course I took it to school, and it was a completely harmless 5 mW red diode made in the USA, but as my friends and I were playing with it one of the other boys got flashed in the eyes and he got so terrified that he was going to go blind that he went home and threw up, and then his mom called and told my mom she was extremely irresponsible for letting me have something as dangerous as a laser and if her son had any eye problems they would see us in court.

lol this reminded me of when i was a kid in school, it was the mid 90s and these breath freshener drops were a fad. they had them on every counter in convenience stores, me and some friends used to buy them and see how many drops we could take before the mint or cinnamon flavor got too intense.

then one kid in class saw that the main ingredient was alcohol, and got so scared to swallow after just 1 drop that he just let the saliva build up in his mouth until he was basically drooling every time he tried to speak. he tried asking the teacher to go use the washroom but it was just a bunch of slobber falling out of his mouth lmao.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i so badly wanted every robotics kit they sold, and the programmable arm, especially the arm. it could pick things up, how cool is that?!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turns out the arm was with you all along

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Shaggar posted:

i have a green laser pointer i use to scare off the geese that show up on the river

did you see tom scott's video about the professional bird scarers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no, post it.

i had geese that kept honking at 2am and i was gettin heated so i looked up the best way to take care of them and it turns out they fuckin hate green laser pointers. they freak the gently caress out and fly off and they dont come back. its great.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ej2EtE744

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that pit is cool as hell and they should let it kill and dissolve geese.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

photographer I know took this picture nearby

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s a vibe

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

huh, I remember reading about this way back when

https://twitter.com/geoffmanaugh/status/1491823730388967444

(a few posts in this thread with more info)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

on the note of searching for things in the wilderness, Tom Mahood's site is a great read. i recommend the death valley germans story, then the one about finding the crashed sr-71. he also has a brief article about bill ewasko which will have to be updated it looks like!

https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/bluefire-main/bluefire/the-hunt-for-928/
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/searching-for-bill-ewasko/

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tom's Manhood

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I couldn't leave the tech behind

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i wandered off into the woods for a few nights and for some insnaely stupid reason i opted not to take the rest of the week off :shepicide:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i drove though a big wind farm to go hiking

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wind farms are super cool

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this one has ~150 turbines. The Wild Horse Wind & Solar Facility. I don't think I've ever seen more of them in one place before

There's a visitors center but it's closed this time of year.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sounds like the perfect time to visit

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah, friend of mine used to design them and he still keeps me informed of turbine advances.

for example it has only been relatively recently that they can throttle a clutch and take advantage of higher wind speed instead of just disconnecting the generator and letting blades spin freely if it is too windy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

theyre killing all the birds! Not good, folks. you hate to see it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

backyard camping

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

working on buying a house 20 minutes from this trailhead :allears:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
wow that's incredible

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

wow that's incredible

turn on your monitor

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Achmed Jones posted:

turn on your monitor

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bump

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gently caress yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

green river

a loving deer swam by. and by swam I mean rushed along because that river was raging

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving glorious friends

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
went to big thicket national forest

saw this cool moth bro

saw this snake (diamondback water snake, I think?)

anyway he appeared right after we took off our shoes and waded thru that lmao. at least not poisonous.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

drat that is a cool moth

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

a giant iguana on the beach!

(a six-foot bit of well-washed driftwood I would haul home for the garden if I had a hatchback)