Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
also cinci the post you made a while back about scandi companies doing personality tests is pretty bizarre, very much would not have expected that from EU companies.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29724414 saw this recently but kinda hosed up and surprising that companies actually use it, esp in Sweden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
in america there was a sandwich chain that tried to impose a two-year noncompete on its minimum wage sandwich maker employees

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

also cinci the post you made a while back about scandi companies doing personality tests is pretty bizarre, very much would not have expected that from EU companies.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29724414 saw this recently but kinda hosed up and surprising that companies actually use it, esp in Sweden

the only personality test i have done was for a job at abn amro in amsterdam. swedes were waterboarding me with literal repeated classical iq tests

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

kinda curious how the new intersection of remote work whereby computer touchers like us work for US companies but on a local contract from a local subsidiary will work out in conjunction with US culture.

for example, in NL, you get 20 PTO days by law (as in most of EU), but the employer literally cannot stop you from taking them whenever you want. even for a pressing business reason.

i can imagine that this kinda stuff will make a lot of people's heads spin. esp because in various EU countries the laws are totally different and as a line manager you basically have no idea what they are lol

the work is adjusted to the local laws. its really not hard. like take that PTO thing as an example: the reality is its not a problem in the slightest because deadlines are all bullshit. the only thing thats gonna happen is some micromanager might make a stink about it, but you just ignore them and they go away.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the only personality test i have done was for a job at abn amro in amsterdam. swedes were waterboarding me with literal repeated classical iq tests

oh loving lol and lol

my old job (lovely dutch startup run by cokeheads) made us do personality tests too (whilst already employed), still have no idea why, since they had plenty more and better ways to manipulate us

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the work is adjusted to the local laws. its really not hard. like take that PTO thing as an example: the reality is its not a problem in the slightest because deadlines are all bullshit. the only thing thats gonna happen is some micromanager might make a stink about it, but you just ignore them and they go away.

if your company is nice and managers are human beings, sure (this is the 20% of companies that you hope you are in)

if your company has power tripping managers who don't give a gently caress about their people they will probably blame you for following the local laws and sabotage you as a result

then you probably have bigger problems anyway and they'd gently caress you around anyway so i guess i don't really disagree with you

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the no iq tests was the supremes in 1971, because a power plant was requiring a high school degree and IQ/aptitude tests for all employees to be promoted from the labor department (the lowest paid department).

the court found that the power plant was using the qualifications and IQ/aptitude requirements to illegally discriminate against black employees.

IQ tests administered by personnel offices were a very frequently done thing before that case.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

In BC they'll only enforce a non-compete if you're going to a direct competitor to do a specific thing that is highly sensitive to your old business, and you certainly cannot take your old clients with you or approach them for a length of time. In practice, it's very rare for anyone to get sued since the courts here are loath to enforce anything that could be seen as overly broad.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

re: non competes and Denmark: in 2016 a couple of employment laws were consolidated and basically killed non competes. you can still have it, but

“The employee has to hold a particularly trusted position
The company has to describe in the clause, why the clause is require”

and for the duration, which is maximum 12 months you must pay people 60% of their salary (40% if the non compete is only six months)

more terrrible law reading: https://www.iuno.law/news/new-rules-on-non-competition-and-non-solicitation-clauses-in-denmark/

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere should require paying all of a person's compensation for the duration of the noncompete. It would remove companies using it for the chilling effect, which is bad for the economy, and only use it when the competition substantially impacts the business.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

agree. if you want me to do poo poo you gotta pay for it. When the checks stop so does me caring what you think

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sgtm implemented in california 150 years ago

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

champagne posting posted:

re: non competes and Denmark: in 2016 a couple of employment laws were consolidated and basically killed non competes. you can still have it, but

“The employee has to hold a particularly trusted position
The company has to describe in the clause, why the clause is require”

and for the duration, which is maximum 12 months you must pay people 60% of their salary (40% if the non compete is only six months)

more terrrible law reading: https://www.iuno.law/news/new-rules-on-non-competition-and-non-solicitation-clauses-in-denmark/

I already posted this once ITT, but the local rules are

* Narrowly defined (e.g. I couldn't go write master key system solvers based on combinatorial optimization, lol)
* Max length of 1 year
* At least 50% of expected total comp if you stayed with the old employer (Used to be 100% for few years)

So yeah, you don't really see them around here.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
just had a call with a recruiter who insisted on a number and i gave them $texas (like, added 80k to my current TC) and they revealed the max compensation for the position and asked me if i was still interested. the system works!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i just landed a new job after extreme burnout working at my current place of employment for 10+ years. the interview process was nerve wracking as hell because it's been so long. but i got a small bump in pay, a bunch of perks, and seems like the new place will be overall better for my mental health.

yay me :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

congrats!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

polyester concept posted:

i just landed a new job after extreme burnout working at my current place of employment for 10+ years. the interview process was nerve wracking as hell because it's been so long. but i got a small bump in pay, a bunch of perks, and seems like the new place will be overall better for my mental health.

yay me :)

this could have been meeeeeee

I have my resume floating at a few places with friends so I might hear something by friday

in the meantime I'm accidentally crushing it at my job I hate but the problems to solve are just too juicy to ignore and I'm addicted to being right

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fart Sandwiches posted:

this could have been meeeeeee

I have my resume floating at a few places with friends so I might hear something by friday

in the meantime I'm accidentally crushing it at my job I hate but the problems to solve are just too juicy to ignore and I'm addicted to being right

I remember this being my last job. People there were getting away with murder, to excel all that was required was to just do the job properly. At the same time, it was jarring to go back into big tech and be surrounded by very smart people again who knew what they were doing. Can't turn down that 66% pay rise though plus honestly working with people smarter and better at the job than you is where you really progress as an engineer.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I'm getting mixed signals on how much you actually hate it but I too am sometimes a glutton for punishment so I understand completely.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zombienietzsche posted:

I'm getting mixed signals on how much you actually hate it but I too am sometimes a glutton for punishment so I understand completely.

To use a video game analogy, it's like smurfing in the low ranks. Yes you are surrounded by idiots, but that doesn't mean running around with dualies no armor and getting called a hacker every other game isn't fun.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Congrats polyester, I firmly believe that the real figgies are the mental health we maintain along the way.

I've got some offers coming in, and an interview with Amazon next week. I believe Amazon is a net societal harm but it turns out there is a lot of money in societal harm. The offers I do have vary so wildly it's insane, like the series B startup offering 50% more in base pay, plus equity, for a fully remote Staff Engineer role vs a hybrid Principal Role in a more established org that is majorly strengthening its engineering team and developing it as a core competency. I assume I should factor in the risk that the startup might not be around in 2 years? I also assume that the Principal org also just doesn't know what software engineering costs and I should make them aware of the other offer. Money aside I'm leaning towards the lesser title as I think I'll be around more and better engineers to have as role models.

Edit:

qhat posted:

To use a video game analogy, it's like smurfing in the low ranks. Yes you are surrounded by idiots, but that doesn't mean running around with dualies no armor and getting called a hacker every other game isn't fun.

Oh yeah, we are definitely on the same page here and this is directly relevant to the two offers I mentioned above.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qhat posted:

lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

zombienietzsche posted:

Congrats polyester, I firmly believe that the real figgies are the mental health we maintain along the way.

hell yeah

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

zombienietzsche posted:

it turns out there is a lot of money in societal harm

oh it's the new thread title

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DuckConference posted:

oh it's the new thread title

asur
Dec 28, 2012

zombienietzsche posted:

I've got some offers coming in, and an interview with Amazon next week. I believe Amazon is a net societal harm but it turns out there is a lot of money in societal harm. The offers I do have vary so wildly it's insane, like the series B startup offering 50% more in base pay, plus equity, for a fully remote Staff Engineer role vs a hybrid Principal Role in a more established org that is majorly strengthening its engineering team and developing it as a core competency. I assume I should factor in the risk that the startup might not be around in 2 years? I also assume that the Principal org also just doesn't know what software engineering costs and I should make them aware of the other offer. Money aside I'm leaning towards the lesser title as I think I'll be around more and better engineers to have as role models.

You should factor in that risk, but SWEs are a hot commodity so the risk of not finding a new job is extremely low. 50% more salary plus lottery tickets is way to good to turn down just because it's a startup unless there are other reasons.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

zombienietzsche posted:

Unless you want to negotiate a better offer not just for yourself but for all the other people they’re planning to build this team with I’d go with the good role models.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

qhat posted:

honestly working with people smarter and better at the job than you is where you really progress as an engineer.

This so loving much.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
but doctor, I am the smarter and better engineer

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
at my last job my coworker turned manager has been a sysadmin for 10 YEARS and still cannot stand up a vsphere cluster , configure a router or write a script
so I did absolutely everything and it pissed me off so much he was getting paid to do nothing, even though he was a nice guy

the last 2 weeks before I left all I did was recorded zoom meeting all day everyday explaining how to do the basics of the job

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Perplx posted:

at my last job my coworker turned manager has been a sysadmin for 10 YEARS and still cannot stand up a vsphere cluster , configure a router or write a script
so I did absolutely everything and it pissed me off so much he was getting paid to do nothing, even though he was a nice guy

the last 2 weeks before I left all I did was recorded zoom meeting all day everyday explaining how to do the basics of the job

i stood up a vsphere cluster a year after first adminning one and never touching it before then and with no formal training in it

lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

welp, just got "mixed" feedback on a coding interview that i thought went great. quite a surprise, very odd

apparently did well on system design so hopefully i'm not hosed

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

my homie dhall posted:

but doctor, I am the smarter and better engineer

i work with plenty of people who are smarter and/or better and/or harder workers

but you don't have to go too far into anything difficult or interesting before you're way too deep into the rabbit hole for anyone to be able to help you

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

i stood up a vsphere cluster a year after first adminning one and never touching it before then and with no formal training in it

lol

what was the datastore situation tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

what was the datastore situation tho

iscsi to an emc vnxe

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fart Sandwiches posted:

well i got hit hard by a non-compete i signed over 10 years ago. i completely forgot about it and i should have asked but when i tried to give my two weeks my boss said "you know the company is gonna sue you" so i am now working under duress... gently caress. I told new company about it and they basically said they have to pass because of it. boss promised (not in writing because he's a oval office) to get me the same raise offered but I have to wait till july. so I just blasted my resume to all my friends and told them the situation. The plan is to work somewhere to wait out the 1 year non-compete and then go back to the company i want to work for. this should at least get me a better title and pay anyway in the long run. just really pissed at how naive i am right now, but this is the first time i'm switching jobs so live and learn

edit: hey neat my gang tag updated!

if you really need a whole year, have you considered moving to somewhere the noncompete is not enforceable? moving is a big pain in the rear end but a year out of an industry might make it harder to get back in. a lot can happen in a year.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if you really need a whole year, have you considered moving to somewhere the noncompete is not enforceable? moving is a big pain in the rear end but a year out of an industry might make it harder to get back in. a lot can happen in a year.

I literally just moved! it's not industry changing I have to do, just role change. i like working in training and instructing but I can't do that for a year so I'll just go do some ops for a while, get my skills more relevant and go back to training with higher title/pay. I have my resume floating at a few places and will start to hear back next week.

also my lovely boss almost died in a car wreck last week and came back from the hospital talking about work life balance and how he realizes he's been wasting his and our lives on work and nothing is that important so.... we will see how long that lasts till I leave

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
so after quitting my job and joining a bootcamp I got an unreal offer for 125k for a fully remote full stack job!

I was always planning on asking for 5k more but I was kind of shocked by the offer. is it gonna seem greedy if I ask for 130k despite this being my first tech job

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No ask for 135

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imo it’s safe to politely ask 10% up even for an offer you see as serious as fair. a normal company will just decline to increase, if their offer was final