Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate them they're boring as poo poo 90% of the time and almost always have the same theme. I would rather take a water level than a desert any day of the week. Oh let me guess snakes are going to be the enemy of the level? real original rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ice levels are pushing it there's only so many times sleigh bells can be used

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Lol check out this clown who loves minecart levels.

"Sure, I want to shoot along at speed in Taz-Mania for the Sega Megadrive, having to memorise what is basically a quicktime event with instadeaths and a finite number of lives. Minecart levels are greeeaaaat, so long as I don't have to look at sand or snow" - hey OP. That's you, that is

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Ahh I'm just messing.

Are there any ice and desert levels you think are good? I genuinely think Ice Cap Zone and Sandopolis Zone from Sonic 3&K are pretty drat sick, and I remember there being some good ones in Mario 3/SMW, but in both cases I first played them as a kid, so I wonder how much of that has skewed my opinion on it.

Also, the music from Ice Cap is a loving bop, and the track it was based on slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

lol Spec Ops: The Line is the ultimate desert level

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Mirage Saloon zone was good. Etrian Odyssey V's Jagged Reach was good. I have fond memories of the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea from FF11. Desert levels just need one more element beyond the most obvious to make them good, really. (A mysterious pyramid full of treasure if you can outwit its devious guardians and dangerous traps, guns, giant rocks you push over, oil rigs, etc.)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Desert Level PROS:
    nice colours
    cool enemies (taken from Arabic folklore e.g.)
    cool music (Egyptian-sounding) and atmosphere (usually)
    highly likely to see pyramids
    no movement penalty
    makes you feel warm in your room when its cold outside

CONS
    scorpions are overused imho
    same with mummies (also disrespectful)
    generally Orientalism is bad and not creative

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Journey is good and that is mostly a desert level.

In conclusion, some desert levels bad, others good.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sewer levels though...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The sewers are okay as long as they are filled with The Mutants

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The desert levels that I hate and will make me drop a game, are the ones with a puzzle that has to do with its environment; typically where you can just go on endlessly across the desert getting lost. Those ones can get deleted from existence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The sewers are okay as long as they are filled with The Mutants

Xenogears has my favorite sewer level.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
The adventure game desert levels are the worst. Can wander around the whole rear end game not needing water one time, Until you get to the desert. Then, if you go 5 screens without licking into an oasis, you immediately die of thirst.

Looking at you kings quest 5

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what about dessert levels op

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WiUVkGw4c

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Walrus posted:

what about dessert levels op

Sonic Lost World was cute about it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Desert levels own i will fight you

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
The first desert level I can remember:

:arghfist::sun:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

vandalism posted:

Desert levels own i will fight you

you will have to find me across 48 extremely similar and repetitive screens that are shuffled randomly every few moments because your [thirst gauge] is running low.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I said come in! posted:

The desert levels that I hate and will make me drop a game, are the ones with a puzzle that has to do with its environment; typically where you can just go on endlessly across the desert getting lost. Those ones can get deleted from existence.

Breath of Fire 3 is maybe the worst for this in all time, forever, since not only does it give you a puzzle the hint it gives you for it is a goddamn lie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lotus Aura posted:

Breath of Fire 3 is maybe the worst for this in all time, forever, since not only does it give you a puzzle the hint it gives you for it is a goddamn lie.

lmao I was thinking of playing this game for the first time too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Flint_Paper posted:

Ahh I'm just messing.

Are there any ice and desert levels you think are good? I genuinely think Ice Cap Zone and Sandopolis Zone from Sonic 3&K are pretty drat sick, and I remember there being some good ones in Mario 3/SMW, but in both cases I first played them as a kid, so I wonder how much of that has skewed my opinion on it.

Also, the music from Ice Cap is a loving bop, and the track it was based on slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

lol Spec Ops: The Line is the ultimate desert level

It was mentioned in this thread actually but I really liked Journey. It was a good short and sweet game with real nice visuals and the movement was just really nice in general. Fond memories of it.

Outside that I honestly couldn't tell you one that I liked actual discussion wise- they really do all blend together in my head. Like the only one that kind of escapes that is Mario Odyssey and that's because they combined it with (funny enough) a ice level the first time you're there and that was pretty interesting just as a concept (and I liked the little skeleton dudes).

Ice Cap Zone does indeed own I can agree with that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Oh you don't like the desert level? Well guess what, now there's a sandstorm and you can't see anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What about swamp levels, OP?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I usually quite enjoy the vibe of desert levels. Snow levels on the other hand, no thank you sir.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I enjoyed Dry Dry Desert in Paper Mario 64. Probably helps that like 80% of it is optional, and is just a neat place to explore. Otherwise it's just a straightforward route to your destination if you stay on the critical paths.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Sewer levels though...

Sewer Surfin' is the only good sewer level.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

you will have to find me across 48 extremely similar and repetitive screens that are shuffled randomly every few moments because your [thirst gauge] is running low.

my friend the cactus will provide... and you will leave tracks for at least 5 or 6 steps behind you so i will find you

and there are 2 places to get water, A6 and D9...

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
X levels are dumb, it's like can you picture one time in your life you were surrounded by X?

don't get me started with X planets

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Grevlek posted:

X levels are dumb, it's like can you picture one time in your life you were surrounded by X?

don't get me started with X planets

Samus agrees, she's nuked like two of them

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
deserts are cool op just hasnt communed with the trickster spirits native therein and therefore does not know joy

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nuebot posted:

What about swamp levels, OP?

How many pissed off fish are in the swamp water (or) how much of it is poisoned

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I liked assassin's Creed: egypt

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hate them they're boring as poo poo 90% of the time and almost always have the same theme. I would rather take a water level than a desert any day of the week. Oh let me guess snakes are going to be the enemy of the level? real original rear end in a top hat

Calm down Anakin.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I suffer fire emblem desert maps with fog of war sandstorms and awful movement penalties knowing you get hella great loot by wandering to the right spots. That's also the bad part though because most of the time the loot is in extremely unintuitive places that require a guide to find.

The worst is Fire Emblem 6: Binding Blade. A mounted unit with terrible stats and severe movement penalties(Cecilia) and the world's worst shaman in all fire emblem history(Sophia) force deploy themselves into a map full of wyvern riding dudes that will kill them in a couple hits. The latter of which you need to babysit to the end of the map so she can pick up a very limited and good item that allows you to promote your mages/healers. Also there is fog of war from a sandstorm because gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes when i play Rust i set up in the desert environment because it sucks so much that a lot of players avoid it, so the sand gives and it takes away