Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

y’all ever program in Julia? it’s good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

> REPL: println(“poop”)
poop

::nice:

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

it uses 1 indexing which is where most people start counting

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

it’s named after a beautiful woman you’re too afraid to talk to.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hell yeah, julia thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
poolia

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and so forth

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

those are very cool. share code if you can! I have some huge double pendulum and billiards simulation gifs on my desktop 👍

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Did they get rid of whoever it was that was a huge rear end in a top hat to Dan Luu

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Also did they make a real-deal IR like swift’s SIL or rust’s MIR? That stuff is neat as hell and I have a vague recollection of it being on the roadmap

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Half of what I say is meaningless
But I say it just to reach you, Julia

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I already know R and Python, dont need another pos

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

the trick is to forget r and python and do julia instead.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the trick is to forget r and python and do julia instead.

this

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

refleks posted:

if you need R or python you can always call them from Julia

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t know anything about this language so I’m gonna assume it’s bad like every other trendy language

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I don’t know anything about this language so I’m gonna assume it’s bad like every other trendy language

except it is not very trendy, been around for some time and if anything i think hype has gone down a bit, which suggests it might actually be good!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am a bit of a fanboy in general. not without its own messes: the gc is garbage, compilation pauses kind of stupid, you can get fancy with the typing in two different directions (building both towers of overly generic type nonsense while also having code which just abuses dynamic types badly), but does the usual numpy'ish stuff well, does gpu really neatly, and has had a pretty good focus from the start which means it has a lot of the more important libraries really well done and very composable.

e.g. the dtable stuff is a good case for composability, pretty freely gluing together distribution-unaware implementations with a distributed scheduler into a new thing without changing those components at all: https://julialang.org/blog/2021/12/dtable-performance-assessment/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

code:

a == a''
Now returns true (where a is a vector like [1,2,3]) which didn't use to be the case. I'm impressed they've managed to clean up the rough edges like that.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got em

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If your language of choice does stop the world garbage collection it should just delete itself and save everyone time.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i think i tried it a while back but didn't get too into it.

i'm looking for ways to appear busy while doing no work, so implementing some random poo poo in julia instead of python should fit the bill nicely.

does it have something like scipy? i've used the optimization library a lot, and a few other random ones on occasion.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If your language of choice does stop the world garbage collection it should just delete itself and save everyone time.

yeah it’s frustrating especially when you’re running a Pluto notebook and get no feedback that anything is happening until you tab to the terminal. I’m sorry you had bad experiences also.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

Eeyo posted:

i think i tried it a while back but didn't get too into it.

i'm looking for ways to appear busy while doing no work, so implementing some random poo poo in julia instead of python should fit the bill nicely.

does it have something like scipy? i've used the optimization library a lot, and a few other random ones on occasion.

yea it has a lot of scipy-inspired libraries and you can always call python through Conda. I used scipy for splines and haven’t found a julia replacement that is as seamless. room for future development!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i mean, most every gc has a stop the world phase, but also julias gc is bad in ways beyond having an excessive stop the world.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i can see there is a pipe operator which instantly wins points in my book. i have no idea why the gently caress python does not support that.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the j is silent

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ulia and silent j

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

refleks posted:

i can see there is a pipe operator which instantly wins points in my book. i have no idea why the gently caress python does not support that.

:2bong::350::2bong::350:

pipe operator??? like, where do I apply, man??

haha just a little stoner humor for ya

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

julillillia

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

does Julia even have threads??

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

it has if anything too many parallelism constructs, including but not limited to threads.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Smug Mug posted:

it uses 1 indexing which is where most people start counting

Well that's a shame

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
oh a julia appreciation thread!

she was the best, talk about teaching a whole generation about what food was

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pity reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

most definitely. use the -t flag at launch and check with Threads.nthreads().

can also use CUDA or AMDGPU with the right libraries.