Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

i was wondering if this happens to anyone else in the store? sometimes a person just starts talking to me in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
No I keep my arms folded and always have a sourpuss on my face so nobody will try to engage with me.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

No I keep my arms folded and always have a sourpuss on my face so nobody will try to engage with me.

Me unironically

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fenugreek is supposed to be the closest thing we have left to silphium. Which itself was a plant so utilized and loved in the Roman empire in pretty much everything they ate, as well as supposed medical usage, that even by the time of Julius Caesar it was (literally) worth it's weight in gold, due to scarcity and the last known wild stock (that could only grow in ONE tiny spot on the north african coast) was picked and sent to Nero as a novelty gift because no one believed it really still existed.

Probably should have bought it is what I'm saying.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Big Beef City posted:

Fenugreek is supposed to be the closest thing we have left to silphium. Which itself was a plant so utilized and loved in the Roman empire in pretty much everything they ate, as well as supposed medical usage, that even by the time of Julius Caesar it was (literally) worth it's weight in gold, due to scarcity and the last known wild stock (that could only grow in ONE tiny spot on the north african coast) was picked and sent to Nero as a novelty gift because no one believed it really still existed.

theres no way silphium is as good as the ultimate vegetable: marshmallows

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
You misheard OP, she was actually saying “gently caress you, geek”

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here

hell astro course posted:

i was wondering if this happens to anyone else in the store? sometimes a person just starts talking to me in the store.

I'd say yeah I was looking at my blood the other day and thought it's looking a little... how do you say... bad? So I can CERTAINLY use something that will improve my blood, thank you so much

and she would laugh and I would laugh and we'd exchange looks and then we're in her car (conveniently located nearby in the handicapped spots) and then we're entering her Senior Living complex and now I have to play bridge against this other team who's *clearly* signaling omfg

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

They're gangstalking you, OP.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Old people regularly harangue me about the quality of my blood, yes, pretty much every day, why do you ask?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Eat enough fenugreek, your sweat will smell like maple syrup. Try it!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Old people regularly harangue me about the quality of my blood, yes, pretty much every day, why do you ask?

Honestly, old lady sounds like a low key vampire now that you mention it

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
honestly it's pretty common for vampires to solicit around the produce aisles and if you really want to ignore them, you need to stock your cart with lots of sodium packed soup or frozen meals before you go there. do goons go grocery shopping very often? cause this is like 101 stuff

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The other day this old guy was in front of me in line and he saw I had a pink mask on and he goes "the police are looking for someone in a pink mask, it's not you is it?!" and laughed and I was like "what? Haha no". Which is just what the criminal would say :jihad:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
A dude randomly said to me while I was walking down a street: "Take care of your legs. It's important."

Pretty sure it was some kind of NPC. That's probably what happened to you too OP.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

it's all fenugreek to me

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you're the main character op

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Yeah people, particularly old people, are constantly talking to me in stores and on the street. I do the same thing, just talk to strangers as I go about my day to day. It's a lot of fun, just going through life like every one around you is cool and good for a yarn. Just chatting up old ladies about the impending cabbage shortage or whatever.

Big Beef City posted:

This is a way too informative post about silphium not to mention it was an abortificant and that's probs why it's extinct.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

those were fighting words, op

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Weka posted:

This is a way too informative post about silphium not to mention it was an abortificant and that's probs why it's extinct.

That's largely an internet myth. It was a herb that people thought tasted really good and could be used for all sorts of medicine; there is little to support the idea that contraception was its main function. And it's questionable whether it even went extinct or if people just forgot what it was, as it appears in cook books and medical texts centuries after Nero got the supposed last plant.

https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2...-contraceptive/

Also the coolest thing about it is clearly its alternative name: Laserwort

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Why were you buying fenugreek

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

That's largely an internet myth. It was a herb that people thought tasted really good and could be used for all sorts of medicine; there is little to support the idea that contraception was its main function. And it's questionable whether it even went extinct or if people just forgot what it was, as it appears in cook books and medical texts centuries after Nero got the supposed last plant.

https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2...-contraceptive/

Also the coolest thing about it is clearly its alternative name: Laserwort

To be fair, he got the last WILD plant known to exist.
It was cultivated, but apparently it was very difficult to do except in very exacting circumstances and wasn't 'as good as the real deal' or whatever. Same kind of bias you'd have today coming across wild morels vs farm grown ones or what have you, something along those lines. And even those cultivars eventually were lost in some capacity. Whether via naming convention, as you say, or simply died off.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will never forget the time at the supermarket when a woman in a mobility scooter saw me looking at chocolate chips and started talking to me like we were already mid-conversation about baking. Not sure exactly what happened next but by the time I left the grocery store she had my e-mail address and sent me her favorite cookie recipes

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkYPge6ZKSQ&t=83s

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will never forget the time at the supermarket when a woman in a mobility scooter saw me looking at chocolate chips and started talking to me like we were already mid-conversation about baking. Not sure exactly what happened next but by the time I left the grocery store she had my e-mail address and sent me her favorite cookie recipes

How are the kids?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anyway, how;s the blood op?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Fenugreek is the new mangosteen

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Eat enough fenugreek, your sweat blood will smell like maple syrup. Try it!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Whats that? My fluids smell like IHOP? Why no, madam dracula, I don't have Maple Syrup Urine Disease. I just eat a lot of fenugreek. Oh that, it's just a natural syrupy lactation.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Big Beef City posted:

How are the kids?
She was like 70 but yes we made it work, our children are beautiful

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

And Sinead O'Connor said "fenugreek is good for the blood" to me at the store and

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

And Sinead O'Connor said "fenugreek is good for the blood" to me at the store and

Guess what she told me
Guess what she told me
She said, "Girl you better try to have fun, no matter what you do"
But she's a fool

cuz nothing cum pears 2 u

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anyway, how;s the blood op?

mostly my life i thought it was B but I recently found out it was O. pretty crazy really.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
they say that fenugreek is good for the blood

i have no use for it myself

but it might be handy for a hunter such as you

heh heh heh...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was at a drug store one time and some woman randomly decides to recommend me Colgate® brand toothpaste. Not a specific type, just the brand in general. I nodded in silent agreement and slowly walked away, never to see her again.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Cacator posted:

I was at a drug store one time and some woman randomly decides to recommend me Colgate® brand toothpaste. Not a specific type, just the brand in general. I nodded in silent agreement and slowly walked away, never to see her again.

Yeah, that's all you can do.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Did she pronounce it "fenu-grick"?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

My dad and I called this 'the grail shaped beacon '. It draws crazy people like a magnet and they're all really excited to explain that they're an incarnation of Ra at you.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Don't take too much though. It's also one of the herbs that stimulate lactation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It's got a bit better as I've aged but I look like a total sucker so I get approached by conmen/sales people all the time. They see me coming from a mile away. At least I stopped worrying about being polite to these dipshits