Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ultravoices posted:

cls: lol covid positive lol

youre full and boosted and not immunocompromised right? enjoy your terrible cold and staying inside for 10 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

there are some real sickos out there who want year round dst, which would push that sunrise to 10:33

yeah that would rule. dst is the best and daylight should be saved for the evening when it matters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have electric light now so all the farmers getting up at 4am or whatever can just use that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
shaggar was right

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shaggar was right

yukon moved to permanent DST a couple years ago and I've been hoping BC would follow suit but we're apparently not going to unless WA/OR/CA do as well and lmao at them ever getting the go ahead from the feds or whatever insane american federal bureaucracy stoppage they'd need to get through for that to happen

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

shaggar was right

yukon moved to permanent DST a couple years ago and I've been hoping BC would follow suit but we're apparently not going to unless WA/OR/CA do as well and lmao at them ever getting the go ahead from the feds or whatever insane american federal bureaucracy stoppage they'd need to get through for that to happen

Arizona did it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

seems fine. morning ppl are terrible

i'm actually very nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maine and some other states passed laws thats basically mean we go to permanent DST if enough of our fellow eastern timers go to permanent DST. pretty good idea, imo, but all the lesser states that havent done it yet need to get on board

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i'm actually very nice

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i'm actually very nice

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

when i was too high last night someone in the peace thread told me to watch "stop making sense"
it was very good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sure is yuuup

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hbag posted:

when i was too high last night someone in the peace thread told me to watch "stop making sense"
it was very good

if you like david byrne, check out "true stories", it's a wonderful movie

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sunrise should be fixed at 6:00 am local time and the rest of the clock moves around to accommodate that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

love to be 5 hours behind hawaii in the winter, but 5 ahead in the summer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also, time just stops for part of the year above the arctic circle

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sunrise should be fixed at 6:00 am local time and the rest of the clock moves around to accommodate that

profoundly cursed take

i get very upset when the sun starts setting before im even off work. what the gently caress. gently caress that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, it kind of already does so it’s be fun to codify that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

profoundly cursed take

i get very upset when the sun starts setting before im even off work. what the gently caress. gently caress that

I spent many many winters going to work in the dark, then coming home in the dark, super depressing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that poo poo is the absolute worst.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Fix sunset at 4:55 pm so you can switch to hard alcohol on the commute home

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The Fool posted:

love to be 5 hours behind hawaii in the winter, but 5 ahead in the summer

The Fool posted:

also, time just stops for part of the year above the arctic circle

but i get to be woken up by the sunrise at my preferred time every single day of the year, which is the most important thing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CPColin posted:

Fix sunset at 4:55 pm so you can switch to hard alcohol on the commute home

give people a choice of which clock they want to use, the 6 am sunrise or the 4:55 pm sunset

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

American puritanism created the idea that it's virtuous to start work early in the morning and that people who sleep in and stay up late are amoral slackers.

If we can chastise the people who sleep in for being lazy and "wasting" the morning, I'm going to mock the morning people for being infants who go to sleep at 8 pm and waste 4 hours of the evening.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when I was in northern Norway there was a period of like 3-6 weeks where the sun didn’t rise at all

I think it must have been during winter holidays since I don’t remember going to school during that period

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Fool posted:

I spent many many winters going to work in the dark, then coming home in the dark, super depressing
i used to switch to a 7am - 3pm shift in winter so I’d be cycling home in daylight, also in less traffic

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

when I was in northern Norway there was a period of like 3-6 weeks where the sun didn’t rise at all

I think it must have been during winter holidays since I don’t remember going to school during that period

ok yeah from 22 Nov to 20 January the sun does not rise in Tromsø

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

if you like david byrne, check out "true stories", it's a wonderful movie

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i wish the metric system went all the way to include time and date reforms. having to sing "30 days have september..." is way more annoying than remembering that there are two pints in a quart

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The darkness never used to bother me but this winter it's making me depressed and also making me feel like I'm being crushed if I try to go to sleep without a light on. good poo poo.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I spent a christmas with my gf's family about an hour due west of tromso. we arrived on the winter solstice and left a week later. maybe 10 hours total where it was bright enough to see the mountaintops on the fjord, and the sun never actually made it over the horizon. it was awesome to visit but would absolutely drive me insane if i lived there

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i wish the metric system went all the way to include time and date reforms. having to sing "30 days have september..." is way more annoying than remembering that there are two pints in a quart

it did, the french revolutionary calendar was invented alongside metric measurements iirc

problem was nobody wanted to work 10 day weeks with 3 day weekends

e: actually it was 10 day weeks with 1 day off, and a half day on day 5. this coming from 7 day weeks with 1 day off. so actually way worse than i remembered

Truman Peyote fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 27, 2022

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Share Bear posted:

youre full and boosted and not immunocompromised right? enjoy your terrible cold and staying inside for 10 days

correct. i had a booster in november. this is medium-cold/flu so far.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

love dst, its the best

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dick Suckin' Time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

I spent a christmas with my gf's family about an hour due west of tromso. we arrived on the winter solstice and left a week later. maybe 10 hours total where it was bright enough to see the mountaintops on the fjord, and the sun never actually made it over the horizon. it was awesome to visit but would absolutely drive me insane if i lived there

i remember playing a lot of legos and reading a lot of books while under blankets near the fireplace. as long as you embrace uh, hygge living for lack of a better concept, it was quite pleasant

that being said though I do not entirely remember the logistics of everything because I was young. maybe I went to school? I know my dad worked since that was when it would get the coldest for testing vehicles in extreme conditions, but idk that it’s feasible to enjoy it then or now as an adult

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

that's whenever the big hand is pointing up.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

it did, the french revolutionary calendar was invented alongside metric measurements iirc

problem was nobody wanted to work 10 day weeks with 3 day weekends

e: actually it was 10 day weeks with 1 day off, and a half day on day 5. this coming from 7 day weeks with 1 day off. so actually way worse than i remembered

but that's a business/labor problem, not a calendar problem. there's no reason it couldn't be a four day week and six day weekend.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

screw 10 day weeks, who gives a poo poo. but big ups to the 12 30 day months and the rest are holidays, and big ups to the rad names for every day

just have 5 6-day weeks per month and keep 2 day weekends, boom done now things are strictly better

just yeet tuesday out of the public consciousness. get the gently caress outta here tuesday, nobody loves you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
time is an illusion anyway