Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

infraboy posted:

Also a box of Fuji Apples (~8 apples) since these seem to be a solid choice for eating straight, slight tartness but great apple flavor. Want to try the Pink lady apples and maybe the Honey Crisps next.

Pink Lady is by far my favorite apple, and I'm spoiled for apple choices. It's more tart than the Fugi but still quite sweet. The peel is pretty tannic. I eat Pink Lady apples by slicing or peeling them rather than biting in and don't usually eat all of the skin. Heads up if you normally chomp into an apple: it might not be the apple for you. It can be kind of a pain to bring a paring knife to work. Mandarins might make a better snack if you aren't one of the guys that regularly carries and cleans a pocket knife. Great snack at home though.

If you buy a juicing machine you'll want Fugis rather than Pink Ladies. Fugi juices better, plus that tannic skin with those Ladies... I meanmaybe you're into it, I guess, but tannins are usually a cider-guy thing. Costco often has Gala which is ok for juicing. Not as much flavor though.

I try all the new apples I see but they're basically all Honeycrisp X Cheaper-to-harvest or Honeycrisp X Sweeter or Honeycrisp X Warehouses Longer apples nowadays. Honeycrisp was better when it was licensed to be grown in appropriate climates for quality reasons. Now anybody can grow it anywhere they want and cross it to tailor it for marketing reasons. Those "marketing reasons" are often to lower producer's costs. The price premium for Honeycrisp these days is because of how hard it is to harvest. They tend to be a bit more tart than Fugi, but noticeably less than Pink Lady.

Pink Lady is a trademarked name for Cripps Pink, so if you see Cripps Pink it's usually pretty similar to Pink Lady. The TM owners set certain standards for the apples. I don't run across disappointing Cripps Pink apples as often as poorly grown Honeycrisps, but I don't often see Cripps and don't often buy Honeycrisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I've never noticed a "tannic" taste in the skin of a pink lady
Then again I'm a weirdo that eats apples in their entirety (including core) from base to stem.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

sexy tiger boobs posted:

It's really tasty oat milk imo, not like that garbage macadamia nut milk. That poo poo is way too thin.

not a fan of skim milk either, I take it?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AKZ posted:

not a fan of skim milk either, I take it?

I suppose when you're used to tiger milk straight from the tap not much else compares.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

yeah, just saying I checked the giant milk fridge, saw almond milk but no oat milk, got disappointed and left. Didn't think to check the rice isle for a shelf stable version.

My Costco has moved them a few times but they were usually located right outside of The Milk Room. One time they were around the corner near "the back room", then they moved it to the center aisle outside The Milk Room, now they are back right outside The Milk Room on a wall

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

norp posted:

I've never noticed a "tannic" taste in the skin of a pink lady
Then again I'm a weirdo that eats apples in their entirety (including core) from base to stem.

Some people can’t actually taste tanins, it’s genetic.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I usually eat the apple and pear skins since they have a lot of the nutritional value, especially fiber.

I’m enjoying the Anjou pears a lot, I think I ate like four throughout the day, a little softer than other pears but pleasant sweetness. Costco did have some huge asian pears, I hesitated to buy them since it was like 7$ for three pears but two days later they had sold out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

I eat Pink Lady apples by slicing or peeling them rather than biting in and don't usually eat all of the skin.

I legitimately didn't know that some people peel apples and don't eat the skins.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Whole milk or bust. Why drink anything else

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

infraboy posted:

I usually eat the apple and pear skins since they have a lot of the nutritional value, especially fiber.

Ah, so you aren't a 5 year old I see. Good.... good.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:hmmyes:

Also Costco’s 3-half gallon pack of organic whole milk is a fantastic deal if you want delicious organic milk that lasts forever in the fridge. Easily $5 less than buying similar milk at the grocery store, and our current batch outdates in late March (not that the family won’t drink it within the week).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

infraboy posted:

I simply bore a tiny hole in the skin, extend my proboscis and eat the fruit from the inside out

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Because it’s probably not very good for you?

(I still order lattes and stuff with it when I’m out. I drink 2 percent lactose free organic or oat almond milk now at home).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Because it’s probably not very good for you?

Good for you doesn’t necessarily mean lower cal/lower fat. Having a small/medium glass of whole milk that lets you feel full and satisfy the hunger itch for milk may be more beneficial than drinking a greater quantity of the thinned out stuff or adding a snack.

Same for cooking with real Kirkland brand salted butter.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If whole milk is so bad for me why am i allowed to buy it? Huh!?

* lights up menthol cigarette *

You think theyd just sell us stuff that bad for you??

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

because industrial scale milk production is worse for the environment than harvesting oats, hth

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone bought the Skullcandy earbuds from Costco? My current 2 year old set of Mpows are about to finally bite the dust potentially, looks like one of the chargers is barely working. I may still pick them up as lady bagmo wants some wireless ear buds

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

because industrial scale milk production is worse for the environment than harvesting oats, hth

wait until you hear about industrial scale pork farming

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

BadSamaritan posted:

Good for you doesn’t necessarily mean lower cal/lower fat. Having a small/medium glass of whole milk that lets you feel full and satisfy the hunger itch for milk may be more beneficial than drinking a greater quantity of the thinned out stuff or adding a snack.

Same for cooking with real Kirkland brand salted butter.

I think you meant kerrygold butter. And yeah gently caress skim milk.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

yeah but there's no ethical consumption under capitalism and the environment is already boned so let's fuckin calcium ourselves UP

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

skim milk is good

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You whole milk cowards should be drinking heavy cream.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

*sips pint glass of clotted cream*
*scoffs*

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

And I’ve got bad, bad news about almond milk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The facilities they use to milk the almonds is horrific

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Johnny Truant posted:

yeah but there's no ethical consumption under capitalism and the environment is already boned so let's fuckin calcium ourselves UP

Why on earth would I drink milk for calcium when I can eat cheese instead

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cheese is just ice milk

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I think you meant kerrygold butter. And yeah gently caress skim milk.

I tried that for the first time last Christmas when the 'Co had it on sale. I love the texture of it on toast, waffles, etc.

Still using the Kirkland butter for cooking.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

You whole milk cowards should be drinking heavy cream.

You think i havnet? :smug:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sippin' Cream is just the coward's ghee

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

binge crotching posted:

I legitimately didn't know that some people peel apples and don't eat the skins.

It's standard in Korea/Japan. I once freaked my coworkers out be eating all the apple skins they'd just peeled. They thought they were toxic and inedible, I tried to convince them it's the most flavorful bit but failed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold up, do Japanese not eat the rabbit part of the rabbit apple

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

Has anyone bought the Skullcandy earbuds from Costco? My current 2 year old set of Mpows are about to finally bite the dust potentially, looks like one of the chargers is barely working. I may still pick them up as lady bagmo wants some wireless ear buds

I bought them about a year ago, so I'm not sure if the ones I have are the same exact ones Costco sells now, but I'm happy with them. They're pretty much just air pods at a lower price point as far as I can tell. Listening to media is good which didn't surprise me, but I was surprised with how well the quality on phone calls are. I hardly ever use them though, so I can't say how well they hold up with heavy use.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The Kirkland oat milk has like 7g of sugar in a serving, and milk milk has 12g. I don't buy it because I need diet milk, I buy it because my kid wants to cut dairy out of her diet to see if it's what causes some GI issues. From a mouth-feel perspective, oat milk is a little on the skim milk side for me, but dump it in a small bowl of muesli/granola cereal and you forget about it.

The ladies of the house are boba fiends, and we just discovered boba kits in the freezer aisle at the 'Co. It's a little packet of boba in some brown sugar and tea syrup. Nuke it for 30s and dump it in some iced milk (or iced oat milk) for a treat. Even comes with boba straws. They like it! It's a very simple brown sugar milk tea, not like the stuff you can get at fancier places, but it's a good after school treat. Recommended.

In other news, the small batch salted dark chocolate caramels I put under the Christmas tree are finally gone. They are too good, and people with less restraint could tear through the jar in a couple days. There are horror stories in this very thread about them. Recommended, but beware!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gaius Marius posted:

Hold up, do Japanese not eat the rabbit part of the rabbit apple

Every apple or pear I've seen in East Asia was fully peeled before eating. I have never seen a rabbit apple IRL so I am not sure if it's an exception.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Very true, I respect that. That used to by old NOC team's slogan "There's no ethical consumption in a capitalist system". Our boss wouldn't let us formalize it, but we were allowed to have it up on a plaque

Jingleheimer posted:

I bought them about a year ago, so I'm not sure if the ones I have are the same exact ones Costco sells now, but I'm happy with them. They're pretty much just air pods at a lower price point as far as I can tell. Listening to media is good which didn't surprise me, but I was surprised with how well the quality on phone calls are. I hardly ever use them though, so I can't say how well they hold up with heavy use.

Sweet. With The Costco Guarantee I feel pretty confident dropping $50 on 'em. The Mpows were good but always pretty finnicky. Great when they worked, obnoxious as gently caress when they didn't

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bagmonkey posted:

I just got the mailer today and starting Feb 2nd the "Skullcandy Grind Fuel True Wireless Earbuds" are $30 off for a final price of $50.

edit: I see you know that already.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 28, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I got em and lost them within the week. Wireless earbuds are a meme

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted: