Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It absolutely does a jig.

And yeah the round vulcan is really cool with how much control it gives you, but there's also some stuff it can't kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ok i know i said i disliked the mode7 poo poo but stage 3's cityscape is loving cool and the pipes are more readable. but still, i dont like it much

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There used to be a museum of pre-video arcade games and one of the things they'd have there was games with scrolling backgrounds done with a projector shining through a rotating plastic tube, and that's basically what the Axelay backgrounds look like to me, a big looping cylinder. Once I learn what's actually part of the stage it's kinda cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hm. probably going to miss this one. this doesn't seem like it's a week that i can play without interruption and it looks like that would kill me in this game.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

trying to jack off posted:

getting to stage 5 without using a continue and then calmly placing my sd2snes in the drawer under some sweaters

lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

if anyone has any tips for the two jackasses the turn up swinging turds around halfway through stage 5 please share

I use the tier 3 third row weapon that shoots missiles behind you, I only ever used it in this instance

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

if anyone has any tips for the two jackasses the turn up swinging turds around halfway through stage 5 please share

my best strategy has been to start high, move around them when they show up, and then get to the center bottom of the screen and just dodge their attacks. after like 10 seconds they stop shooting and fly away

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the guy I thought was the last boss is just the lvl 6 midboss... think I'm taking a break from this today lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I made it to level 5 with all my continues remaining and just had to put the controller down because I hate this stage so much

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

accidentally discovered this game has an easy stage select on the title screen, press left and right to select a stage

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
stage 5 boss down, I like how he sort of breaks apart but the slowdown is too much

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Just beat the game for the first time. There are parts I'm not sure how I'll get through for the no continue challenge, because I brute forced them in my easy run. Like the lava boss, the doppelganger ships, and the stage 3 midboss. Also the final boss shoots out these itty bitty peas it's hard to see amid the explosions

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Joan posted:

Just beat the game for the first time. There are parts I'm not sure how I'll get through for the no continue challenge, because I brute forced them in my easy run. Like the lava boss, the doppelganger ships, and the stage 3 midboss. Also the final boss shoots out these itty bitty peas it's hard to see amid the explosions

...easy?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

when they say they're playin on easy

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
gently caress you Joan

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

...easy?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
seeing someone play this game on easy while I've been studying each stage, learning the patterns, the right weapons to use, and they come in here and say they beat the game

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

no no no. easy run means it wasn't a challenge for Joan

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You cheated not only the game but yourself.

You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference of what true gamers are.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

they obviously meant they were doing an easy run to learn the game, to prepare for the actual challenge of a no continue normal run. they even say that there are points where their strategy won't carry over.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
made it to mid-stage 6 on one credit. 1cc should happen before the week is out

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

they obviously meant they were doing an easy run to learn the game, to prepare for the actual challenge of a no continue normal run. they even say that there are points where their strategy won't carry over.

That is not my reading... I will allow forgiveness, for now... lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

made it to mid-stage 6 on one credit. 1cc should happen before the week is out

the most on brand post possible

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm on stage 6 rn with one continue left, I hope to clear it this run

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

my best strategy has been to start high, move around them when they show up, and then get to the center bottom of the screen and just dodge their attacks. after like 10 seconds they stop shooting and fly away

that seems too risky, i was trying that and they just cover too much space and the mace cant do damage quick enough to make it safe. it seems crazy to use the 3rd tier missile but maybe ill have to...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

the most on brand post possible

i was gonna say if the challenge is to 1cc it some freak like myco will have it done by the day's end lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

I use the tier 3 third row weapon that shoots missiles behind you, I only ever used it in this instance

also this worked wonderfully, thanks

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

that seems too risky, i was trying that and they just cover too much space and the mace cant do damage quick enough to make it safe. it seems crazy to use the 3rd tier missile but maybe ill have to...

mycophobia posted:

also this worked wonderfully, thanks

Trust me, I learned after loving it up for hours

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

i was gonna say if the challenge is to 1cc it some freak like myco will have it done by the day's end lol

unfortunately it's not quite trivial lol. its not hard but there are tricky bits

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

ArfJason posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

Trust me, I learned after loving it up for hours

lol, thank you for your service

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

unfortunately it's not quite trivial lol. its not hard but there are tricky bits

lol if Myco is saying this then it truly must be hard