Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

God does appear to be pretty big, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Lobe posted:

that means god has big guts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

5'11" vs 6'

God vs Marugori

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm really not feeling Garou and Metal Bat teaming up at this piont in the Murata version. Like, I get that it'd be hard to think Garou is purely a monster at that point as a reader anyway, but I feel it's extremely important for the Saitama and Garou match that everybody but Saitama thinks Garou is too far gone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As great as the art and choreography are, the pacing in the manga is absolutely poo poo. Right as the story seems to be picking up steam, here comes two new giant monsters that don't have any purpose except to be menacing and get crushed and also now Metal Bat is here.

I try not to compare the two because they've been very different stories for a long while now, but ONE's solo webcomic is so much more entertaining.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As pure fan service the current arc of the Murata version had been incredible, but the story really feels like it has lost track of what exactly the main conflict and stakes are here.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Seems that its edging back to that? The arc is, at least in the webcomic, centred around Garou's self discovery and personal growth but its been so stretched out in the manga between fight scenes and the other S-classes' own personal mini-arcs its gone completely out of focus.

The manga's pacing and framing of events has been weird since the start of the MA arc.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
one of my favourite panels from the webcomic is when Evil Water is approaching the exhausted and unconscious heroes with Garou giving a cheesy soliloquy only for the next panel to be Saitama annihilating Evil Water in 1 hit and asking Garou, who the hell are you?

I'm sad that this might not happen in the manga

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I know it’s old hat to complain that the manga pacing is worse than the webcomic but yeah, the manga is way worse. This whole fight has just been monsters and heroes popping up and down over and over, and while it produced plenty of cool looking panels it also means that the tone and stakes vary so much chapter to chapter that it loses any impact beyond “that looks cool”.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I'm really not feeling Garou and Metal Bat teaming up at this piont in the Murata version. Like, I get that it'd be hard to think Garou is purely a monster at that point as a reader anyway, but I feel it's extremely important for the Saitama and Garou match that everybody but Saitama thinks Garou is too far gone.

My guess is that this is ONE wanting a better set up for the ideological chasm that splits the S class in the next arc. Characters like Metal Bat see that despite Garou's lovely actions, he's not actually an evil being, whereas characters like Flashy Flash attempt to immediately assassinate Garou despite the fact that he just saved Bang's life, and attacked three cadres (and killed one).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I dislike the comical portrayal of Garou at this point because I want the Saitama fight to be the thing that breaks his persona down. We have too many characters clued in to his true nature as someone who just wants to help people.

I also am sad we probably won't get saitama's casual punch destroying ENW as he enters the scene to ask "who the hell are you?" But the surfboard military ship makes up for it at least

Maybe I just have too high of an opinion of the webcomic's portrayal of events, and unfair expectations of them being translated faithfully

Edit: i realize im just retreading points already made but I think that just shows how this might be a real problem (i dont read posts before mine)

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I dislike the comical portrayal of Garou at this point because I want the Saitama fight to be the thing that breaks his persona down. We have too many characters clued in to his true nature as someone who just wants to help people.

I also am sad we probably won't get saitama's casual punch destroying ENW as he enters the scene to ask "who the hell are you?" But the surfboard military ship makes up for it at least

Maybe I just have too high of an opinion of the webcomic's portrayal of events, and unfair expectations of them being translated faithfully

Edit: i realize im just retreading points already made but I think that just shows how this might be a real problem (i dont read posts before mine)

I mean everyone notices the problem with the revised version. I think ONE is just too enthusiastic for more cool fights and comedy bits and this comes at the expense of his original work's narrative efficiency. When he had to draw things himself he was forced to tell his story with as few narrative resources as necessary and it turns out that makes his story punchier.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bucswabe posted:

My guess is that this is ONE wanting a better set up for the ideological chasm that splits the S class in the next arc. Characters like Metal Bat see that despite Garou's lovely actions, he's not actually an evil being, whereas characters like Flashy Flash attempt to immediately assassinate Garou despite the fact that he just saved Bang's life, and attacked three cadres (and killed one).

I'm hoping it's this, because the next arc is a long mess in the webcomic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The next arc is really good tbh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm hoping it's this, because the next arc is a long mess in the webcomic.

Hard disagree.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man the Tatsu and Saitama fight owned. A multi-chapter fight that was just a vehicle for constant gags. So rad.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

In the webcomic, only harsh truth (that Garou gave up on being a hero) breaks through his shell.

Now Garou's shell was broken through by sensei's punching. Sensei's brother believes in Garou after having seen him fight. Garou's Rival Metal Bat takes Garou less seriously than a pair of rando monsters that appeared. There are randos watching TV at home who can see that Garou's a hero. Saitama isn't special for being able to see the good in people anymore, he's just strong enough to kill an ocean. And both Tatsumaki and Psychosis can kill oceans, so that's not special either.

I hope the rewrite is going for a completely different ending, because this isn't build up for the ending of the original story.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Yeah normally I don't mind a little bit of elaboration, but this part of the arc particularly had a really great pacing and flow in the webcomic that the manga is just kinda loving it all up. Garou goofing around with Metal Bat completely undercuts his transformation to monster. Him pointing out the kid he saved in the helicopter to Metal Bat is not nearly as good a character beat as him lying about killing the child only for Saitama to totally call his bluff. Having bigger versions of the same monsters we've seen defeated show up then immediately be defeated feels like filler and doesn't do anything to raise the stakes.

The King bits still turned out amazing so I am holding out hope, but they've already taken the bite out of a lot of bits that were genuinely amazing in the webcomic.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Maybe the manga will go a different direction and save Garou's catharsis for Sweet Mask instead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

He's leaning so hard into setting it up one of the consequences was yet another re-write of the Child Emperor fight which hamfisted the conflict into the fight instead of letting it happen when it originally did with Child Emperor just not getting in contact with Bofoy and watching the remaining S-class constantly job. There were already natural justifications for why everyone acts the way they do in the aftermath of the raid yet here we are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Murata and ONE just liked the Metal Bat and Garou fight and wanted to do a chapter of call backs

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mystic Mongol posted:

I hope the rewrite is going for a completely different ending, because this isn't build up for the ending of the original story.

I think you're dead on.

Beyond the structural differences, the biggest change between the two is that in the webcomic the S class heroes are a bunch of jerks who aren't very reliable while in the manga they're mostly all real swells guys who take the conflict seriously. This does so much to alter the conflict! The old ending wouldn't make sense here.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 30, 2022

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah normally I don't mind a little bit of elaboration, but this part of the arc particularly had a really great pacing and flow in the webcomic that the manga is just kinda loving it all up. Garou goofing around with Metal Bat completely undercuts his transformation to monster. Him pointing out the kid he saved in the helicopter to Metal Bat is not nearly as good a character beat as him lying about killing the child only for Saitama to totally call his bluff. Having bigger versions of the same monsters we've seen defeated show up then immediately be defeated feels like filler and doesn't do anything to raise the stakes.

The King bits still turned out amazing so I am holding out hope, but they've already taken the bite out of a lot of bits that were genuinely amazing in the webcomic.

I know a lot of people in this thread won't like this, but my guess is that the story is setting up for Garou to be tempted by God and given a power up, and that will be what reintroduces stakes to his character. Whether he accepts because he's desperate while getting beat down by Saitama, or because he's deceived, we'll just have to see.

Brought To You By posted:

He's leaning so hard into setting it up one of the consequences was yet another re-write of the Child Emperor fight which hamfisted the conflict into the fight instead of letting it happen when it originally did with Child Emperor just not getting in contact with Bofoy and watching the remaining S-class constantly job. There were already natural justifications for why everyone acts the way they do in the aftermath of the raid yet here we are.

Child Emperor and Darkshine always made sense to me, but Metal Bat leaving the HA for Neo was a bit of a head scratcher. So I don't mind this getting a bit of development.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 30, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bucswabe posted:

I know a lot of people in this thread won't like this, but my guess is that the story is setting up for Garou to be tempted by God and given a power up, and that will be what reintroduces stakes to his character. Whether he accepts because he's desperate while getting beat down by Saitama, or because he's deceived, we'll just have to see.

drat, now I want to see Garou kick God in the nuts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would like to see a corrupted God Garou learn a valuable lesson yeah

Would be a pretty good way to diverge from the webcomic

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Saitama and Garou fighting in a kickass Tekken stage is neat and all, but I'm insanely bummed we didn't get half a year of everyone jobbing to Garou as they keep teasing Saitama is next. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm just glad Garou got a big fight with Bang.

I'm more bummed Fubuki didn't really get to do anything. That feels weird.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I was kind of hoping this is when we would get them jobbing. On the Tekken stage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I would pop extremely hard if it turns out Garou is looking at someone just off frame behind Saitama, but I don't think there's anyone conscious left besides King's group?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm just glad Garou got a big fight with Bang.

I'm more bummed Fubuki didn't really get to do anything. That feels weird.

Yeah she got a cool moment that cemented that she was truly S-class only to have it subsumed here by everyone vs. Murata’s giantess fetish

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I would pop extremely hard if it turns out Garou is looking at someone just off frame behind Saitama, but I don't think there's anyone conscious left besides King's group?

I've honestly forgotten who is still around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah she got a cool moment that cemented that she was truly S-class only to have it subsumed here by everyone vs. Murata’s giantess fetish

I feel if Murata was truly writing for his fetishes he would've had something for Fubuki to do.

Perhaps much like the rest of us he is tired of having Psykos bounce back for one more round only to get crushed again in a chapter or 2.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

This was my thought exactly, and I think we could still get another fake-out that they are about to start fighting (we already got a mini fake out when Saitama charged Garou, but actually ran past him to see Genos).

Possibilities are that Evil Natural Water isn't dead and comes back immediately , or that Pyskos comes back. I think it's very likely that we will get a final show down with Fubuki and Psykos, and probably something involving Tareo in danger.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Re-checking, the teasing section can still work out if Pig God lands on the Tekken Stage. Most of the first round are in him right now, and you can have Genos' torso fall anywhere for his part, and for Puri Puri Prisoner or BlackShine, you can probably bullshit a reason for them to be ready after a few chapters of others fighting. I have to assume Flash's section won't happen since he's already fought Garou in the Murata version.

But then continuing more, the dialogue is the same when they meet after all the teases :negative:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Remind me, did the Murata version include any Fubuki vs Psykos fight where she uses the technique she developed to fight her sister on her? That was one of my favorite moments in the webcomic

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't remember but it's very funny when Fubuki is explaining her technique and how even Tats doesn't know about it and then the narrator explains that Tats is already doing that without even thinking about it. You tried, Fubuki.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 11, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brandfarlig posted:

I don't remember but it's very funny when Fubuki is explaining her technique and how even Tats doesn't know about and then the narrator explains that Tats is already doing that without even thinking about it. You tried, Fubuki.

Not just doing it but improving on it.

Fubuki uses hers defensively but Tatsumaki uses it instinctively and can even use it offensively.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

i feel like i'm just coming here every other week to say the redraw's bad, but man.

This confrontation with Garou has no punch. man.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I still love the redraw but yeah it's completely neutered the impact of Garou meeting Saitama. Having him run roughshod over both the monsters and the heroes while making aggressive chuuni threats he clearly won't follow up on makes Saitama calling out his obvious half-assed hypocrisy stand out more.

I imagine the intent here is specifically to soften Garou a bit for later plot stuff but it does feel like it missed a mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MorningMoon posted:

i feel like i'm just coming here every other week to say the redraw's bad, but man.

yeaaaaap

Need One to come back and do more work on the Neo Heroes arc.